Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
willonlyflytodisney
Mouseketeer

C25K! Anyone else in?

Hey guys,

I thought there was a thread awhile back for people doing the Couch to 5K program but I can't seem to find it. So, I thought I'd start one myself.

I've always dreamed of running a race since I was younger but always thought I was too fat to do it. But, I'm doing Couch to 5K in hopes of fulfilling my dreams someday!

More info on the C25K program here

I guess if there are people still doing the program, we could make a list here of where everyone is along the way.

Anyway, my goal is to run a 5K on April 18th in Boston.

What's your goal?

1993 - Contemporary Hotel 2008 - Pop Century 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 - Pop Century 2012 - All Star Movies
Fall 2012 - Vacation Planning CM
willonlyflytodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
dkostel
Future owner at CRV? VCR? I don't care lets call it Bob as long as it happens!
I have great appreciation for anything that can make me laugh when I'm out in 10 degree weather

Hello,
C25K is a great program, very do able. I recommend the c25K podcast (search couch to 5k) in itunes. It is music which the author / podcaster talks over to tell you when to run/walk. The music is decent and changes tempo when you do.
I started c25k in Spring 2008, ran my first 5k in July 08 and just did my first marathon Sunday. It is VERY cliche, but if I can do it anyone can.
Best of luck to you
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Does the podcast start with the 5 minute warm-up or does it go right to the "wogging" part?
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
amarberry
DIS Veteran

Hi! It's my first time posting over here, so I'm a little nervous. I feel like I'm outing myself in the diet/exercise world that I am normally pretty tight lipped about.

I'm on week 3 of the c25k. I've been exercising regularly since Mother's Day last year (mostly spin and step classes) and have lost between 25-30 pounds. Sadly, I have about another 20 to my goal weight.

A couple of months ago, my very inspirational spin instructor made some comments during class about chasing our dreams, challenging ourselves, etc. and used running a race as an example. I had read about the c25k program over here (while looking for weight loss inspiration) and started thinking about maybe trying out the program. DH has always joked that I should have been an Olympic walker...I have a very fast walking pace normally! I also noticed, after a couple of months of regular cardio exercise, that my cardio endurance was much better than I ever imagined. I started to think that maybe I would enjoy running...something I never had dreamed of before.

I decided to hold off a little bit before starting, mostly because I wanted to get my weight down a little more so I wouldn't kill my knees. The goal of starting the c25k program has actually been a great inspiration for weight loss for me! I also received a heart rate monitor for Christmas and have had a lot of fun playing around with it since I started the program.

Anyhow, the first 3 weeks have gone better than I hoped. I've been following a lot of the marathon and half marathon threads with interest...so many motivational stories. I'm not really sure where c25k will lead me, but time will tell!
amarberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
maiziezoe
DIS Veteran

I'm going to start the C25k program on February 1st. I would like to start it tomorrow but I have Lupus and I need to get my doctors permission to start the program. My doctors appointment is at the end of January.

My goal is to run a 5k in July during my town's annual festivities. I used to help organize the festivals' 5k, this year, I am going to run it!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
jennz
DIS Veteran

I'm in!! What day is February 1st? I can start that day. The podcast sounds great, I was trying to figure out what to do to know when to change from walking to jogging (or picking myself up off the ground!)
Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
cclovesdis
Warning: Boring!

I'm in too. I did Day 1, but haven't made it any further. I'm going to start again when my new WW week starts, probably on Sat. morning after my meeting.
cclovesdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
ZOOMAMA
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford

W6d3

Hola y'all! Tomorrow I do W6D3- 25 minutes ! I actually began the program in September, made it through W5 and let life get in the way. So two weeks ago I drafted a friend to complete the program with me. We started at the beginning of W5 and we plan to run the Komen 5K at the end of February. I frequently lurk on the W.I.S.H. boards seeking inspiration but I've decided to peek my head out. Good luck to everyone!!!

Tess
ZOOMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
jennz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOMAMA View Post
Hola y'all! Tomorrow I do W6D3- 25 minutes ! I actually began the program in September, made it through W5 and let life get in the way. So two weeks ago I drafted a friend to complete the program with me. We started at the beginning of W5 and we plan to run the Komen 5K at the end of February. I frequently lurk on the W.I.S.H. boards seeking inspiration but I've decided to peek my head out. Good luck to everyone!!!
well it's great to see your head! Congrats on starting back up!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

Sounds fun! I'm kind of editing my own set up as I go along. I'm walking 5, run 2, walk 2, run 3, walk 2, run 2, walk 2, run 3, walk 2, run 2 and then walk 5 minutes at 6mph. So basically I'm around week 3, even though I've been on the program for about 4 months. I think perhaps I'm running much faster then intended or people on this program are amazing and can continue onto a new week every week! I stick with the same week for about a month! I'm about 2/3 to running a 5k in 30 minutes. I'm around 2.100 miles in 30 minutes, and my goal is 5k in 30. I don't really have a race that I need to be ready by, I'm just waiting to hit running for a full 30 minutes! Also, I use a treadmill.

First Disneyland Trip: November 2014!
'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
Spike
Mouseketeer

I am doing this as well, well starting over with it . The plan is to run the Disneyland 5k with my Niece in September. So this with Weight Watchers I am hoping to be able to do it.

Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
ZOOMAMA
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford

Week 6 Day 3- DONE! Felt so good! Well, when it was over anyway. I have been running for time only and I run outdoors on a trail around our neighborhood. Once I complete the 9 weeks and can comfortably run for 30 minutes, then I plan to work on improving my pace. As of now my pace fluctuates between 9:30 and 12:00 depending on whether I'm running intervals or doing the "long" runs. The longer the slower. Have to say I was pretty pleased with myself (and my running partner) today. We were throwing some high fives until we realized Weeks 7, 8, and 9 don't have intervals. Good luck everyone! Couch taters no more-unite!

Tess
ZOOMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #13
3TinksAndAnEeyore
DIS Veteran

I want to run the Disneyland Half Marathon in September and I'm using this program to give me a structured beginning. I am on week one and I've done three days. I'm doing one more day tomorrow and then starting week two on Sunday. I am using the iPhone app and listening to an audio book while I walk/run. I love the audio prompts for when to walk and when to run!
Upcoming: WDW POR Feb 2015; Completed: DL December '11 & '12 Daytrips, DLR Solo Trip Nov 2010 (Stovall's), DLR September 2010 (GCH), DL Feb 2010 (daytrip), DLR December 2009 (DLH), DLR January 2008 (daytrip), DLR November 2007 (daytrip), DLR October 2007 (GCH), DLR June 2004 (DLH), WDW October 2000 (VDI), Disneyland October 1996 (ES), my GradNight June 1988, DB's (now DH for 18 years!) GradNight June 1987, Band Trip (played on Main Street with DrumLine!) Spring 1987, too many Daytrips to count starting in 1970
3TinksAndAnEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
Ronda93
DIS Veteran

Congratulations to all the couchers! I started C25K a year ago and did THE half marathon last Saturday. I lost about 20 pounds last year and am around 170 right now. To repeat the cliche, if I can do it.... I am slow (12:00-13:00 miles) but I can go and go.

C25K was a great way to start. Get the podcasts and get outside if you can. I know weather gets in the way, but for me getting outside is like candy. DGF and I started it to prepare for a 4 mile race and it worked! We ran the whole thing and there was no looking back!

Do it!

Ronda

Last edited by Ronda93; 01-16-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Ronda93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #15
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

I did the C25K in 2008 and kept running until I got pregnant. Then I switched to walking. Since my son was born last May, I have not gotten back into running again and I really need to. I have been doing WW and lost all the baby weight, but I need to get some exercising in to get my pre-baby body back. So we got a treadmill from my DH's grandfather who did not use it and this morning I did Week 1, Day 1. It went pretty well, but I an certainly not in the shape I was pre-baby. I am hoping it comes back soon!

My Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon Trip Report!
I Wish I May, I Wish I Might, Please Don't Let Us Miss Our Flight! An August 2011 PTR
*New! Interpreting Toddler-Speak at Disney! Aug 2011 TR*

August 2006 Wilderness Lodge, August 2007 Wilderness Lodge, June 2008 Saratoga Springs, November 2008 Wilderness Lodge, June 2010 Old Key West, February 2011 Bay Lake Towers (Finished Princess 1/2!), August 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
DisneyMomma09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: