Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Bad Mothers' Handbook - Chapter 10

Chapter 10 - The As Yet Unnamed Day

Since we had plans to visit Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party tonight, the plan for today was to take it easy at Blizzard Beach.

We started the day with breakfast at Boma. This was a first for us all, although Nat and John had previously had dinner there.

Since I am somewhat unadventurous, I can’t say that I found it to be much different from other breakfast buffets around Disney World and left feeling somewhat underwhelmed. Still, it was a nice, relaxing start to the day and, having brought our stuff with us to Animal Kingdom Lodge, we hopped straight aboard a bus bound for Blizzard Beach. It was a nice, short trip and we were there well before opening. We didn’t have long to wait and, after stopping to rent some towels, we found a spot to ‘camp out’ by Tike’s Peak.

It became increasingly obvious that one of our party was taking the opportunity for relaxation more seriously than the rest as Nat stripped off (well, almost), plonked herself on a sun lounger and pulled a book from her bag, announcing ‘Let me know when it’s lunchtime’. It's a water park!! There are sunbeds and I was on holiday, whats the problem?!

John and Matthew immediately headed off to conquer Summit Plummet. Not being able to spot Gary, I thought he must have gone with them so suggested the rest of us go to do Teamboat Springs. I am not a massive fan of water slides but I do enjoy this one. Nat was not happy when I told her she had to come with us, but eventually she tagged along, grumbling all the way. Since there were 6 of us, we were able to go together and it was a really good laugh. We were going to grab the chair lift and ride again straight away but the chair lifts were out of order temporarily so we walked back up. The one thing I dislike about Blizzard Beach is there seem to be so many steps compared to Typhoon Lagoon. At the top, we rode again and then Nat declared that she’d had her fill of excitement for the day and was heading back. I got wet...twice...and that was enough

Back at base camp, we found Gary, who had been getting changed – oops! – and was not amused that we’d all left without him. Leaving Nat comfortably ensconced with her book, we then went off to try a few more rides.

After a little while, I left Gary and Daniel to go on the lazy river (too many leaves in it for my liking) and went to join Nat.

The rest of the day was spent enjoying the sunshine, with various members of the family joining us at various junctures throughout the day. Rea and Ellie decided they wanted to get their hair braided so went to check out the prices. Having determined her holiday finances would stretch to it, Rea decided to take the plunge and Ellie followed suit. Off they went together while Nat, Sian and I relaxed and chatted and chatted and relaxed some more. Now thats more like it!

John went off with the camera and took a few photos.

It was a very pleasant day and incredibly relaxing. Not being a ‘take it easy’ kind of person, though, by the time 3 o’clock came, I was getting twitchy and was ready to head back. Since we had ADRs at The Plaza at 5.15, we knew we would have to leave soon to get ready anyway so decided to call it a day.

Back at Kidani, we showered and changed before dressing up for MNSSHP. After much thought, the adults (and teens) had decided not to dress up. The children looked brilliant, though, with Matthew dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow, Ellie as Alice and Daniel as Peter Pan (courtesy of an outfit borrowed from Matthew – thanks buddy!)

Once again, we had problems with the Magic Kingdom bus. After a wait of almost 20 minutes, one finally arrived and we hopped on board along with half of the other residents of Kidani Village. The bus was packed but we struck up a conversation with a very pleasant lady who was also running late for her ADR. Eventually, we arrived and piled off the bus, once again hot footing it up Main Street (this was becoming a bit of a habit). We checked in at the podium outside The Plaza and were given a buzzer. Because we were late, I had given up hope of meeting up with Jakki (TinkTatoo) who had been having dinner at Crystal Palace but, while we were still hanging around outside, she turned up. They all looked great in their costumes and Nat and I spent much time admiring Jakki’s svelte new figure – well done hun We certainly did! You looked fab Jakki, it was lovely to meet you x

After a quick chat and a couple of photos, Jakki and co went on their way and we continued to wait. And wait. And wait. Several people went up to the podium to complain about the length of time they had been waiting. While we had been patient up until now, the kids were starting to get bored (and hungry).

Eventually, we were shown to a table and our order was taken promptly. The food was very reasonable, in terms of price and quality and, despite having waited so long, we all enjoyed it. We were all keen, though, to finish up, get the check paid and join the party.

After leaving The Plaza, we quickly had some Photopass pictures taken in front of the castle and set off round the park, in an anti-clockwise direction. We had decided we wanted to see the characters that the kids were dressed as/connected to so our first destination was Toontown Fair, where we hoped to see Alice. On the way through, the kids decided to ride Goofy’s Barnstormer while the adults waited outside. While we were waiting, a couple walked past us in incredible ghost costumes. We commented how great it was that the Americans went all out for things like Halloween, when one half of the couple spoke and I realised they were Brits. I later found out (while reading his trip report) that the couple were Kenny and Elaine (Mr and Mrs Pegasus928). I so wish we had realised at the time and said ‘Hello’.

After the kids had finished on the Barnstormer, we took the walkway between Toontown Fair and Tomorrowland where we collected plenty of candy and our Alice met the real Alice.

It was very sad to see Space Mountain closed as normally the lights look lovely on Halloween. Rea was extremely sad that her favourite ride was closed the whole time we were there, as this picture shows.

From Tomorrowland, we crossed over the hub and headed for Adventureland, where we hoped to see Captain Jack. Unfortunately, he wasn’t around but we did the next best thing and took a picture of Matthew in front of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. There was also a Photopass photographer there so we got some on the Photopass (I will post a separate thread once I've finished our trippies, with some of our Photopass pics on since there are so many).

We saw Captain Hook and Mr Smee so joined the short line to meet them. Daniel was being incredibly brave and announcing loudly how he was going to have a sword fight with Captain Hook. However, when we got to the front of the line and Captain Hook saw Daniel as Peter Pan, he made a gesture to him and Daniel’s bravado completely disappeared. In fact, he refused to have his picture taken unless Ellie went with him (I remember when Matthew felt like that about the characters)

After that, we decided to see some more characters and joined the line for Tarzan. When we got to the front, we went up to have our photo taken and Tarzan asked our names. Just for a laugh, I said my name was Jane. ‘Tarzan know a girl called Jane’ he said. ‘Mum, stop messing about’ said Rea to which Tarzan replies ‘Why you lie? You say your name Jane when it really Mum?’ We were absolutely killing ourselves laughing, he looked so indignant.

We had a little while before the fireworks were due to start so we decided to have a go on Big Thunder Mountain. There wasn’t much of a wait and it was great fun in the dark. John and the kids decided to go on again while we got a couple of drinks and waited for them.

After Big Thunder, we decided to head back to watch Hallowishes. We originally tried to watch from the area by Sleepy Hollow but the trees obscured the view so we walked over the bridge and back to the hub to watch from there. My photos weren’t great since I had no tripod and Gary’s shoulder proved a pretty poor substitute

After Hallowishes, we had a general wander and got some more candy, then decided to stake out a spot along Main Street to watch the second parade. After a slight altercation with a guy who had tried to reserve half of Main Street, with the aid of a couple of rucksacks and a carrier bag, we found a spot and quickly sat the kids down on the side of the kerb. That guy was very rude and we soon pointed out the error of his ways! Nat and John shared a private moment - well, not too private since I caught it on camera.

The parade was great and we managed to get a fairly good shot of the Headless Horseman.

The kids got a load more candy too. Daniel and Matthew came up with the ingenious idea of collecting the candy in their hats, rather than the plastic bags. Clever boys; trust Matthew to get as much candy as he could! As usual we were eating it for ages after we got home.

As we were all quite tired, we decided this would be a good time to leave and so we followed the parade down Main Street and caught the bus back to Kidani. It was almost midnight by the time we fell into bed. Although we should really have planned a quiet day the next day, Sian had arranged to meet a friend at Epcot so we were off there first thing.

Sorry for the delay in updating, I’ll try and be quicker with the next episode:

Tiredness, Tantrums and Tempers Fray – And That’s Just the Adults!
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
jamjar84
DIS Veteran

I've been catching up on your whole trip so far yesterday and today, sorry I didn't post in each thread, but my computer kept signing me out, and confusing me.

What a great trip report, sounds like you all had a great time, and how fab that your two families got to go together.

Looking forward to reading more, especially the ship, DH is very keen to do DCL so would love to see what it's like.

Thanks for posting.
jamjar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

Well worth waiting for!
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

I enjoyed reading about the party ~ it looks great fun. I loved the younger member's costumes ~ Ellie's Alice one is lovely.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

YAH! well done missus. keep um coming.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Great day, well worth waiting for, bring on the next, cant wait

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware Bears View Post
Ellie's Alice one is lovely.
Thank you

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

yay pleased to see another report

great day there.xx

love the Alice picture
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
runskyhy
It's not less monkey, it's Moe Monkey!

Awesome chapter! I love the costumes and Ellie's signed dress!

RC Oasis, Western Caribbean 03/2014
Disney Fantasy, Western Caribbean 05/2012, 10/2013
Disney Dream, Bahamas 03/2011, 07/2011 , 07/2013
Disney Wonder, Bahamas 03/2006, 03/2009, 10/2009, 02/2013
Caribbean Princess, NE & Canada 10/2012

Disney Magic, Eastern Caribbean 10/2011
Coral Princess, Southbound Inside Passage 06/2010
Carnival Ecstasy, Key West & Cozumel 03/1995
WDW, FL 05/1992, 02/2010, 09/2010, 02/2013
West CA 01/2010, NV 4/2012, AZ 3/2013
runskyhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

Another great day and worth the wait

I love the children's costumes, they all looked great.

Tina
Jets fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

Thanks for the update Joh - love the photo of John and Nat having a quiet moment

Tam
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

another great update, love the pictures especially the "2" Alices xx
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

tinkerbells mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Stringer View Post
Thanks for the update Joh - love the photo of John and Nat having a quiet moment

Tam
It doesn't happen often Tam !

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Stringer View Post

Tam
I may have another one or two similar Tam (although, admittedly, Nat may have been drunk in the others )
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

absolutely loved this instalment. I'm with Nat on the water parks. I am so strange as i just hate getting wet and never go swimming either in the sea or pools but do love sitting in the sun.

so looking forward to the next bit

susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: