Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #76
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

TK, I love the story of you and your granddad. How wonderful that you have all those wonderful special memories! I'd love it if you shared the story with us.

It's amazing that the woman still had that Mickey Mouse figure. I know exactly what you mean about feeling tied to things the people we've loved most have touched. One of my favorite possessions is a small woven yarn mat that my grandfather had made for me when I was a little girl. We had always had a wonderful close relationship, and he passed away when I was only 8. I don't care how worn out that little mat starts to look. Nothing could be more precious to me.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
If U Had Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #77
jenb1023
DIS Veteran

What a beautiful and touching story! I love that you have a new keepsake that will remind you of two of your favorite things - WDW and your grandad!

Apr 22-28, 2007 - WL, Jan 26-Feb 2, 2008 - AKL, Nov 15-23, 2008 - Pop,

Oct 30-Nov 3, 2009 Pop - me and DD, May 15-17, 21-23, 2010 - Universal/Poly
Jan 22-30, 2011 - POFQ, May 10-13, 2012 DCL on the Dream Sept 7-11, 2012 DD's surprise bday trip - BC Aug 30-Sept 2, 2013 - AOA, May 23-27, 2014 - 24 Hour Event - WL, June 29 - July 2, 2014 - POP, Upcoming - Nov 29 - Dec 6, 2014 - BC/ASSp - 1st Xmas Trip
jenb1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #78
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

That is a great story about your Granddad. I was really close to someone who I called my grampy and he died when I was a senior in college. Your post brought back many of my own memories of him. He wasn't a blood reletive but in many ways he was closer to our family then my own blood grandfathers (who are both still living). I never got to say goodbye to him either. I was away at college when he got sick and he died the day before I was able to go home and visit him. He was to sick to talk on the phone so I didn't even get to do that. We gave my dd the nickname he called me as her middle name. He was the only one who ever called me by that name. I wouldn't mind hearing more about your granddad.

pooh'smate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #79
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersmom View Post
What a beautiful post, TK. It's funny how life can completely surprise us sometimes, I can only imagine how much it must have touched you when she brought you that figurine. I would have been sobbing as well, I got teary just reading about it... I for one, would love to hear that other story about him. :
Thank you. I think I will work the story into my next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Awwww, TK, you felt the same way I did about your grandpa as I did about my gramma! Such a close and special relationship! I practically grew up with her by my side.

Thanks for not only sharing such poignant memories about you and him, but for also bringing back a slew of fond thoughts about my own happy times!!

Cheers!
I'm always happy if something I write reminds you of special times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
TK, I love the story of you and your granddad. How wonderful that you have all those wonderful special memories! I'd love it if you shared the story with us.

It's amazing that the woman still had that Mickey Mouse figure. I know exactly what you mean about feeling tied to things the people we've loved most have touched. One of my favorite possessions is a small woven yarn mat that my grandfather had made for me when I was a little girl. We had always had a wonderful close relationship, and he passed away when I was only 8. I don't care how worn out that little mat starts to look. Nothing could be more precious to me.
I know! It doesn't matter what the object is, it's the sentimental value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenb1023 View Post
What a beautiful and touching story! I love that you have a new keepsake that will remind you of two of your favorite things - WDW and your grandad!
I do, I am so lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
That is a great story about your Granddad. I was really close to someone who I called my grampy and he died when I was a senior in college. Your post brought back many of my own memories of him. He wasn't a blood reletive but in many ways he was closer to our family then my own blood grandfathers (who are both still living). I never got to say goodbye to him either. I was away at college when he got sick and he died the day before I was able to go home and visit him. He was to sick to talk on the phone so I didn't even get to do that. We gave my dd the nickname he called me as her middle name. He was the only one who ever called me by that name. I wouldn't mind hearing more about your granddad.
Sometimes friends can be closer than family. I've had a special bond with some "non-relatives" that has meant more than family in my time. Very few, but they have been there.
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #80
TarzansKat

14 Days And The Family

Before we start our regularly scheduled programming, I'd like to bring you a bit of funny. Hopefully this won't lose its humor in the translation.

I can tie this in to the report, because it really helps you further understand me. And that's good, right? I would say that at least 95% of my sense of humor comes from my Granddad. We have this innate ability to amuse ourselves, laugh loudly at our own jokes, and break into song/hum when the mood strikes us.

It's quite often that at the end of a work day, I can be heard singing "Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me." I do it quietly. I wouldn't want to scare the customers...much.

My grandfather was a teacher. And he was a teacher at a time when the teachers did the school plays, not the students. He and I have both been part of theater groups, and we both have a passion for acting. The favorite role I ever played was in an original piece by a friend of mine in which I portrayed the dual personality super villain in a comic book type play. My name was Paradox. My favorite song that reminded me of my character was by Matchbox 20. I believe the title is Unwell. Prior to that I played Mother Nature in a Christmas show, and I was all sweetness and light.

Playing Paradox was so freeing. She was evil. And not. And she had her reasons. It's AMAZING to play the villain, let me tell you. I loved that role.

As my Granddad would have been proud of me in that, I know I would have been proud to see him in one of his most villanious roles, the Judge in Ten Little Indians, or And Then There Were None.

For those of you who aren't familiar with this Agatha Christie story, the book is different from the play. I won't describe how in case you want to read it, but suffice it to say that in the play, the hero and heroine shoot the villainous Judge, kill him, and saunter off into the proverbial sunset.

Well, this play was being performed for elementary school kids, can you imagine that!!! And the children, knowing how evil the Judge (my Granddad) was, were screaming from the audience for the teacher (Ms. I Don't Remember Her Name) not to go in the room, don't go in the room, he's in there! Can you imagine being in a play and performing for your students? Oh my goodness.

So while they're acting and keeping a straight face, the hero and heroine confront my villainous grandfather. There's a scuffle, and the hero is SUPPOSED to shot the Judge with a gun.

Obviously, this is a prop gun that's supposed to make a noise, right?

Except...it doesn't make any noise.

At.

All.

And so the hero stands there looking at my grandfather, and my grandfather does the first thing he can think of.

He shouts at the top of his lungs "BANG!!!!!!" and promptly falls over dead.

Hopefully, I've conveyed how funny that really was. I loved to hear my Granddad's stories and I never, ever grew tired of them, even if they were the same ones I'd heard before.

I love that I share so much with him, even though he's not with us anymore. It makes me feel closer to him through these shared interests.

One of those interests was definitely Disney. My granddad knew how to have fun with the rest of them. It was hard for Mom and Nana to go without him for the first time.

As a matter of fact, that's how it came to pass that Mom and Nana started attending the halloween parties. My grandfather died in October. The following year, they couldn't bear to be home on the anniversary of his death. I was a busy college freshman, so although I thought about it, I didn't have time to think about it.

Well, it just so happened, that was the year they started the halloween parties. So Mom and Nana decided to go to our favorite escape, Disney. And that's how they've started the tradition of going every year at that time. They haven't missed an MNSSHP yet.

I'm looking forward to going with my mom. She and I used to go a lot together, just her and me. We would take these mother daughter trips all the time when I was in college and worked for Disney, got in for free, and got fantastic hotel room discounts. That was when it used to cost $100 round trip on Southwest to go to Orlando. Before 9/11. Before all of that.

It's amazing to me what a different world we live in now, and yet how some things never change.

My sense of humor. (Thank you, Granddad.)

My LOVE of MNSSHP. (Thank you, Mom. She took me to my first one.)

My love of Disney. Thank you to everyone in my family who has given me that foundation.

Disney is my happy place. I love my vacations there. And I'm so looking forward to this special time with my Mom...staying at the Grand Floridian...just being able to sleep and relax and eat and shop and just...be.

Next Chapter

Last edited by TarzansKat; 01-16-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #81
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Love the story about your grandfather in Ten Little Indians! Classic!

My family is completely responsible for my love of Disney, and I hope one day Chelsea and Connor say the same thing.
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #82
Pollito916
Some day my Prince will come and I'll live in the castle...
I do NOT have a Chicaaahgo accent!

You made me cry, but I love the stories about your grandfather. My grandmother passed away my senior year of high school, and I felt the same way about her. My grandpa was a crotchety old former red-head that passed away 5 years later, almost to the day.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:17 AM   #83
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Great story, once again, TK!

Having a family love of Disney is a great thing! You're very lucky!

But luck doesn't have anything to do with having a grand dad who obviously loved you oodles and oodles!!! That was pure blessing!

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #84
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Love the story about your grandfather in Ten Little Indians! Classic!
I knew you would like that. It's one of my favorite Granddad stories.

Quote:
My family is completely responsible for my love of Disney, and I hope one day Chelsea and Connor say the same thing.
Oh, hon, I'm sure they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollito916 View Post
You made me cry, but I love the stories about your grandfather. My grandmother passed away my senior year of high school, and I felt the same way about her. My grandpa was a crotchety old former red-head that passed away 5 years later, almost to the day.
Aw. I'm sorry for inspiring the tears, but happy to bring back the good memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Great story, once again, TK!

Having a family love of Disney is a great thing! You're very lucky!
Thank you, I am very lucky.

Quote:
But luck doesn't have anything to do with having a grand dad who obviously loved you oodles and oodles!!! That was pure blessing!
You're right, he was definitely a blessing.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #85
TarzansKat

13 Days And What Not To Wear

Okay, so I don't have my own Stacey and Clinton to help me out here, but there's definitely a thought process that goes into a vacation wardrobe.

Contrary to the normal vacation traveler, who is most likely dressing based solely on comfort, I am a strange mix of comfort and fashion.

Oh, yes.

I'm girlie. I'm not crazy girlie or mega girlie, but I am pretty girlie. I have, what I fondly refer to as, a five minute face. That means pretty much every day I put on makeup, and it takes me about five minutes to do so. Now that I'm getting older, I should probably add a couple more items to the routine, but so far as it stands, these are the items I can't live without: sunscreen, moisturizer, foundation, concealer, powder, blush, lipstick, and gloss. And yes, I have the application down to a science.

So now that my face is all taken care of, we must discuss my hair. I know you're all dying to hear about this, but bear with me here. I have a really nice bob, right now, I've grown out the "Alice" (from Twilight) hair cut that I had previously, and cut off all the layers so I have an above the shoulder bob with bangs. I've had this style before and it is really cute on me. It can be done under or flipped out. Now, since this vacation is really about relaxation, I would love to just blow dry it and go.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Know why? Because I have the delight of having hair that when blow dryed, one side curls under and one side flips out. That is the natural wave of my hair and although it's really funny, it's not always so cute. I really wish it was long enough to throw up in a ponytail and be done with it, but it's not. And that's actually my ultimate goal right now. I remember the first days with new baby in the house, and there's not a lot of time for hair. A ponytail is a must.

Will I care when I'm in Disney? Maybe. Let's not forget that Mom likes to take lots of photos. I don't want the little bean to think I was a schlep while I was pregnant! We need to save those days for the very end when I'm so big I just don't care anymore!

So, all week, I've been experimenting with different styles and seeing how long it takes to do them so I'll have options.

But let me tell you. The temptation is HIGH to buy pirate mouse ears and call it a day.

On to the clothes. Normally, I go through a little shopping spree for a new vacation wardrobe. Not this time.

I have just started wearing my maternity pants, but normal tops are still fine. This presents a slight issue as I'm not really sure how much bigger I'll get in the next two weeks. I feel like maternity tops are still a little big on me, but it really depends on the brand. I hate to overpack for a five day trip, but at the same time, I want to have options. Of course, I have regular clothes that...were larger on me before...certain areas...ahem...of my body, shall we say increased, so they actually fit better and still have some room.

So I know I'll be fine for pants, because I saved all my maternity clothes from when I was pregnant with DS. Tops will have to wait until we get closer to see what size I am and, of course, what the weather is like.

I'm thinking most likely I'll need some tees and a couple of hoodies to wear around to be comfortable, but again, I'll have to check the weather. It's been so long since I've been in January.

Of course, I have already created a maternity 3/4 sleeve tie dye. I did this long before I knew I would be taking a trip, the last time someone requested shirts from me.

It's super cute, I just used one color, so it's a white/cerulean blue combo. It actually fits really nicely and is really comfy so I have a feeling that will be coming with.

I'm at a loss at what shoes to bring, again, only because of the weather, but I do own several pairs of cute and comfortable shoes, so that's a plus.

I'll definitely bring slippers to have in the room, because there's nothing like slipping your feet into a pair of cushy slippers at the end of a long day in the parks.

I think that pretty much does it. I'm solid on pajamas and unmentionables (I've saved larger sizes of everything over the years) so I'm actually pretty happy with the fact that I don't need to go crazy spending money on anything.

I can save that for the parks.

Next Chapter

Last edited by TarzansKat; 01-17-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #86
jmamom
Mouseketeer

Hi TK,
Your posts about your granddad were sweet and touching. I really enjoyed reading about him, and your relationship.
About the maternity clothes - ugh. That's about all I have to say.
Except have you tried the Liz Lange T's at Target? It was seven years ago I know, but her T's fit really well for that in between stage.
I really hated maternity clothes.
Hope you are still feeling good!

October 2001 at the Wilderness Lodge
September 2009 at the Polynesian
jmamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #87
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

The stories about your grandfather are so sweet. And getting the Mickey he gave to someone else is just amazing.

It's great that you don't have to do a lot of pre-trip shopping. Now, you can buy the little one baby Disney things and do some damage in Basin.

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #88
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

I will come back and reply a little later but I wanted to let you know about this http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...an-resort-spa/. I don't know how to post it all fancy like but it made me think of you and CP. Thought you would enjoy.

pooh'smate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #89
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Hmmm, what will you be doing this time in two weeks, TK?

You sound like you have a pretty good handle on the clothes and shoes! It will be time to pack all of that very soon!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #90
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

My hair does the exact same flip out on one side/flip under on the other if I attempt to wear it straight. It has natural curl, so I just learned finally to go with that! But, I feel ya....been there. Pain in the patooty!

Sounds like you've got a good handle on the clothing! When I was prego I never felt like I had enough clothing...I was always scoping out the discount racks at every store!!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: