Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #136
mousescrapper
DIS Veteran

didn't realize you started a new PTR for your mother daughter trip...will be back to get caught up...thanks for the handy links

Scrappie
mousescrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #137
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I just got caught up on your last few updates, it sounds like things have gotten much better in the past couple of days and things at home are a bit more under control. I am all about streamlining the house too, I've been re-doing Henry's room the past couple of days, tonight the furniture is getting moved around and the crib front is being taken off...BIG BOY BED! So many emotions about it, but he's asking for it.

Almost single-digit dancing, yay!!!!!!!!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #138
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
Sounds like your handling everything on your plate okay. Be sure to get lots of rest to help fight off that cold/sinus problem. I think this has just been the winter for illness. I hadn't been sick in 10 years, but this weekend I started coming down with cold number 4. Seriously, I've had enough!
A lot of people I know have gotten this. I think I've finally kicked it but it really knocked me on my butt, that's for sure.

Quote:
Good luck with the organizing. This year I made it my resolution to de-stash and organize my place as well. For someone who lives alone I would have plenty of space if I didn't save practically everything. I have a bad habit of keeping things because I may possibly need them one day, or because it was a gift. This year I'm getting rid of it all. I want to be able to open my closets without things falling on me. So far so good, but dealing with my out of control yarn collection is going to be a bit harder to deal with.
I am the same way, but I have to tell you, you don't need it all. I make the same mistake. And, in all reality, if you haven't touched something in your closet in over a year, it should go. There's just no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousescrapper View Post

didn't realize you started a new PTR for your mother daughter trip...will be back to get caught up...thanks for the handy links

Scrappie
Woo hoo! Happy to have you here, and you're welcome, I'm trying to get better about links to make it easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
I just got caught up on your last few updates, it sounds like things have gotten much better in the past couple of days and things at home are a bit more under control. I am all about streamlining the house too, I've been re-doing Henry's room the past couple of days, tonight the furniture is getting moved around and the crib front is being taken off...BIG BOY BED! So many emotions about it, but he's asking for it.

Almost single-digit dancing, yay!!!!!!!!
OMG! Taking the front off the crib!!! Scary. I know how you feel, when we switched to a toddler bed it was a little weird for me. The big boy bed was worse. That was when I really, truly knew I didn't have a toddler/baby anymore. Sounds weird, but that was the turning point for me.

So, I offer you
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #139
TarzansKat

TK Is Terrified

Totally and utterly terrified.

I didn't mention it on here because I didn't think anything would come of it. Well, something came of it. A big something.

I went to look at a condo today. And I liked it so much, I made my DH come look at it tonight. And he liked it so much (or I convinced him I guess) that we just put an offer in.

This is the first time I've put an offer in on anything and I am now absolutely terrified. Not because I think it's a lemon or anything, because I am terrified of the mortgage and condo fees! It will stretch our budget, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. And it's turn key. The stove needs to be replaced, and a microwave purchased. That's about it. Paint is gorgeous, wood floors gorgeous, 1 car attached garage, beautiful private back deck, and beautiful finished basement.

It's pretty. And nice. And in the town I work in. And five minutes from DS' preschool, my work, and my parents. And the kindergarten has before and after school care. I'd save on gas at least.

But scary, scary I say! What was I THINKING????

Next Chapter

Last edited by TarzansKat; 01-20-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #140
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

It sounds absolutely delightful! Just think -- if it is meant to be, it will happen!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #141
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
It sounds absolutely delightful! Just think -- if it is meant to be, it will happen!
I do believe that. I just hope I can fall asleep tonight.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #142
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
I do believe that. I just hope I can fall asleep tonight.
To be honest? You probably won't -- when we signed the closing papers on this house, I could not fall asleep that night because I was so stunned that I was a homeowner and owed all that money for the mortgage! You get adjusted to the idea though, I promise.
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #143
michellem1118
DIS Veteran

Ohhh... Good Luck! We weren't able to sleep for the whole weekend after the first offer we put in (put in an offer on Friday night, didn't hear back until Monday afternoon). I hope you have better luck than we did!
Dec. 2000-Jan. 2001 ~ AS-Sports ... April 2007 ~ CSR (joined DVC) ... Oct. 2007 ~ SSR ... July-Aug. 2008 ~ OKW & DCL ~ HONEYMOON! ... March 2009 ~ SSR ... July 2009 ~ 1st anniversary @ AKV ... Christmas 2009 ~ Family Trip @ SSR ... March 2010 ~ BCV ... June 2010 ~ John's (late) birthday celebration @ VWL ... July-August 2010 ~ 2nd anniversary @ BLT/VWL ... Upcoming: June 9-16, 2011 ~ Club Level! at AKV & BWV

The Summer of Disney - June 2010 & July/August 2010 Trip Report
Bringin' the HAPPY Back! Spring Break 2010 Trip Report
Never Again! Our Holiday Family Trip
michellem1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #144
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Oh, that sounds like a wonderful place to live, I love living close to work! I hope everything works out for you!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #145
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Now, see, you got me all excited about "doing the organizing" thing with you, and all that, and now you pop this on us. I was all over your flatscreen, new boxes, fabric covered whatchamacallits, and now you trade all those for the condo of your dreams??!!

What are you thinking???

Of course this is fun!! How could we not all be so excited for you!? If it's possible and you have a peace about it, then go for it!! It has a garage you could stick the kids in when they turn 13.

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #146
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
To be honest? You probably won't -- when we signed the closing papers on this house, I could not fall asleep that night because I was so stunned that I was a homeowner and owed all that money for the mortgage! You get adjusted to the idea though, I promise.
Well, I slept like crap last night. At one point, I went and got my DH, who was slipping blissfully unaware on the couch, and made him come to bed. Normally I'll leave him there if he falls asleep that way, but not last night. I needed the comfort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellem1118 View Post
Ohhh... Good Luck! We weren't able to sleep for the whole weekend after the first offer we put in (put in an offer on Friday night, didn't hear back until Monday afternoon). I hope you have better luck than we did!
Well, the short of it is that I should hear something by tonight, so fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Oh, that sounds like a wonderful place to live, I love living close to work! I hope everything works out for you!
I'm trying to have faith that it will all work out the way it's meant to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Now, see, you got me all excited about "doing the organizing" thing with you, and all that, and now you pop this on us. I was all over your flatscreen, new boxes, fabric covered whatchamacallits, and now you trade all those for the condo of your dreams??!!

What are you thinking???

Of course this is fun!! How could we not all be so excited for you!? If it's possible and you have a peace about it, then go for it!! It has a garage you could stick the kids in when they turn 13.
I don't know what I was thinking. I shouldn't be allowed to make these types of momentous decisions right now.

And quite frankly, I'm terrified of the mortgage, I really love the place.

But, if it doesn't work, I have a very distinctive game plan for this apartment (like you said) and I feel really good about that.

And on sticking the kids in the garage.

Or the basement, right?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #147
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great

Quote:
I don't know what I was thinking. I shouldn't be allowed to make these types of momentous decisions right now.

And quite frankly, I'm terrified of the mortgage, I really love the place.

But, if it doesn't work, I have a very distinctive game plan for this apartment (like you said) and I feel really good about that.

And on sticking the kids in the garage.

Or the basement, right?
THe fact of the matter is--- you are NOT thinking. Well, straightly anyway. Good thing you have DH to be your sense right now, because yours is getting the life sucked out of it right now. On the other hand, your emotions are running high, so, you can deftly add that element to the equation. Right?

We will most likely take on a hefty mortgage when we get back too. Scared?? YUP! We worked hard to pay ours off in 10 years, and it felt GOOD!!! To start over again at our age scares me!

yeah, basement works too. But save that for when they are 17. At 13 the garage works good.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #148
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
THe fact of the matter is--- you are NOT thinking. Well, straightly anyway. Good thing you have DH to be your sense right now, because yours is getting the life sucked out of it right now. On the other hand, your emotions are running high, so, you can deftly add that element to the equation. Right?

We will most likely take on a hefty mortgage when we get back too. Scared?? YUP! We worked hard to pay ours off in 10 years, and it felt GOOD!!! To start over again at our age scares me!

yeah, basement works too. But save that for when they are 17. At 13 the garage works good.
If we end up getting this place, it will be my ultimate goal and mission to pay off the mortgage well before the 30 years. First of all, the likelihood of us being there the full thirty years is not very good. I see this as (hopefully) a stepping stone to build some equity so that if we sell at the right time (hopefully after 5-6 years) perhaps we can make a small profit and afford the type of house my DH really wants.

In the mean time, this is an excellent start. I haven't really told you all much about it, but it's 1380 sq. feet with an attached garage, and 12x17 private deck, with a little grassy area for the kiddos to play. The deck is great, because it's got a gate, so you can gate the kids in and not worry about baby climbing over those stairs while you're outside.

The kitchen is eat-in, but the living room is big enough that we plan to do a living dining combo, and instead of having our TV, etc, up there, we'll put it downstairs in the finished basement which is set up as a family room. On the upper level, there are two bedrooms, both on the smaller side but not unworkable considering all the other liveable space. And we'll be gaining storage in a garage, and storage in the basement as well.

But let me tell you, it's not these things.

It's the fact that it's turn key. I love the paint colors, the hardwood and carpets are in great condition. The only thing that needs to be replaced is the stove, microwave, and showerhead in the main bath.

That's. It.

And in our price range, we have not ever seen anything that's turn key.

The scary part is how much more it is per month without even counting heating bills. There's a beautiful fireplace in the living room, so I know that will help offset some of the cost, I hope. I don't think it's so much the mortgage and condo fees that scare me, but being able to afford heat. It is gas heat, which is good. Basically our mortgage/condo fees are less than that bigger two bedroom apartment we were looking at, but our apartments include heat in the rent.

I really just can't believe we were grown ups and put an offer in.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #149
TarzansKat

Oh! I totally forgot to mention that we're not the only offer. Another offer came to the table last night, and the realtor held off presenting it to the seller until my DH had seen it and we made a decision. Since we decided to offer, that was a good decision on his part, now he has two offers to present to the seller.

Not knowing what that other offer is and if ours was totally unrealistic is part of the fear, I guess. But there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm really hoping we're busy at work today so I don't think about it.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #150
All7OfUs

Quote:
The only thing that needs to be replaced is the stove, microwave, and showerhead in the main bath.

That's. It.
Sounds lovely. Very lovely. Especially with the stove and microwave in the main bath. Nothing like eating breakfast as you bathe!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: