Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

Do you do anything to celebrate or is Valentine's just another day?

While I do think it is important to show the ones you love you love and care about them year round, do you do something special on Valentine's Day as well?

I usually make a small basket of goodies for the girls from the Valentine Fairy and then make a nice dinner for DH or some times we've gone out.

This year I am planning on a two night getaway with just DH and I.....just have to figure out where, it's "season" right now and the hotel prices are insane to go a 1/2 mile up the road!!
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
sunlver
Well ahhh, I got poked with a birthday party hat

It is just another day for me. I don't do anything special.I suppose when I was single, it was a big deal, now not so much

I am a realist so I can tell my family I love them any day, doesnt have to be with candy and flowers. BUT.. I do try and get my kids a little something, like a little box of candy. I do, however, sometimes wait until Feb 15th, when everything is half price.
sunlver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Last year I bought the kids all something small with a card. I got dh something small and he does as well to me. We usually don't go out to eat main reason the crowds.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
apirateslifeforme
The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
On a serious note, I have to agree with the pantyhose and buttfloss
Rare. Bloody rare. Still mooing

Neither DBF nor I are romantic, so we won't be doing anything out of the ordinary. We don't like fancy restaurants or chocolate and while flowers are nice, we both are of the opinion that we hate to spend money on something that's going to die and go into the trash in the end...

We regularly tell each other "I love you" and that every time we're together is special, so I guess Valentine's Day will actually be "just another day" for us! I'll get him a card, but nothing mushy - yesterday, I found one with Superman on it (he loves Superman - even has a Superman logo tattoo) that says "You'll always be my hero." He'll love it!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

I think it was more important to me when I was single too. Now hubby is lucky to get a heart cut out the kids construction paper.

And if I am out and see a cheap box of candy I will get it for the kids , probably after Valentines day when it is on sale like another poster said.

Kids do their Valentines to class mates, well one does and one has out grown that even.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I always get the kids a token gift and bake heart shaped brownies for them, and sometimes dh and I exchange small gifts too. This year it falls on a long weekend and we are thinking of going on a family ski trip (not for V-day) so this year so it may be just cards and candy for everyone.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
AprilShowers
I'm funny in real life! - I promise!!

When the kids were smaller, I tried to make a special dinner, put cards and chocolates or another small gift at their place. An extra special dessert. Even if it was just chocolate pudding in fancy glassware with whipped cream!
Now, their sports schedules sometimes leave us eating in shifts. I'll probably try to do something nice for them. A card with i-tunes gift card inside or something else.
DH and I usually exchange cards or a small gift.
AprilShowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Angelhalo
Ok I was like crap I'm breaking rules and I'm gonna get points and I didn't even know I was breaking rules!!! LOL!!!

DH and I have been happily married for going on two years and at the most we go out to dinner. last year I let him go to a bike rally with his dad on Valentine's Day so needless to say it's not the be all, end all for me. LOL!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

I know many feel it's just another Hallmark rip off and why celebrate if we express our love every day . However, DH and I have acknowledged Vday for our 46 yrs together . We're still young spirited and like to exchange a token... be it a card, candy, flowers, balloons or whatever. We usually do dinner out, be it on that day, or one close to it to avoid the rush, occassionally we've ordered in.

We also enjoy giving a small token to our adult children and all 13 grands . I always bake cupcakes to decorate and my day care kiddies get heart shaped pancakes for brkf! Our adult kids do likewise for their spouses, kiddies and us. What can I say, I'm a sucker, I love Valentine's Day!!

Enjoy your getaway!
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

I usually work my butt off waitressing, taking care of others celebrating VDay. Then, I come home, count all my cash, and go out another night instead!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
HunnyPots
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy is giving me big hugs for being such a kind person to animals (((hug)))
Better to have white walls than hay on the walls

It's pretty much just another day for me. We've been married 25 years and it's always been hit or miss - some years we'll do something, some we don't. Neither of us gets upset if the other forgets. I actually get more satisfaction out of buying a big box of chocolates the day AFTER valentines for half price!
July 2006 Pop Century
June 2008 Indian Ridge vacation home
May 2011 Indian Ridge vacation home
HunnyPots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
lspst8
Mouseketeer

I don't go all out for Valentine's Day, but I do like to do something special even if it is just a fancy homecooked meal. I try to avoid restaurants on days like Valentine's because they are so crowded or only offer "special", more expensive menus.

When I was young, my dad would always send my sister and I flowers. Just little vases with daisies and carnations, but they always made me feel so special. It was so exciting to get flowers delivered to the house.

PAST TRIPS
Off-site as a child in 1987 & 1989, Doubletree in 1999, POR in 2004, WL in 10/2010, AKL 2013, AKL 2014
lspst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Neither my husband nor I are romantic but we've gone out for a special dinner for 26 Valentine's Days now.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Mostly just a day but DH and I always go out to dinner on Valentine's Day.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Just another day to me. Although it is my dad and his wife's anniversary so they wouldn't agree with me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: