Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
disneydad1
Mouseketeer

advice for planning Christmas 2010 trip

Long time reader, first time poster.....

I am planning a family vacation to Disney World for Christmas 2010. Although we're not new to Disney (my wife and I went twice without kids and we've been twice with kids), this is our first trip during the holidays. We will have mom, dad, 3 daughters ages 5, 4, 2, and both sets of grandparents.

I would welcome any advice/tips from anyone regarding what to do in the parks, when to do it, how to plan for it etc...

We are strongly leaning towards staying off property due to budget constraints and the number of people we would need accomodations for.

Thanks in advance!
disneydad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Perditamarie
DIS Veteran

Welcome to the DIS!!!!

I will confess right off the bat that I am completely biased about staying onsite...you are immersed in Disney magic and don't have to worry about driving, getting lost, commute time, losing EMH (which are very nice w/the shorter park hours in Dec), etc. E

So, I say, stay on property, and get 3 rooms at a value, and let Disney take you from airport to resort to the parks...take a vacation from driving as well -- whatever "extra" you pay to stay onsite, you will save $$ in not having to rent a car/van/multiple cars and most importantly save time. Staying onsite will also give you access to Extra Magic Hours, Dining plan, etc. Also, 3 rooms will give everyone their own personal space/privacy.

Things to see:

* Osborne Lights...part of DHS admission and absolutely beautiful....see a couple of times if time and tix allow!

* Santas around the world...part of Epcot admission...countries around world showcase share their Santa tradition

* Candlelight Processional...part of Epcot admission...beautiful telling of Christmas story w/chorus singing carols....very difficult for little 'uns to sit through. Consider doing in shifts! The line to get in is scary long, but you can book a dining exp at several Epcot restaurants that will give you tix for advance seating for this.

* It is also fun to check out the decorations at the various resorts.....if you do the dining plan, meals at the resorts could accomplish this w/o taking too much time from touring.

* Read a good guidebook and research holidays at Disney. Avoid the values during Pop Warner, and know that each week closer to Christmas, the busier the parks will be. Between Christmas and New Years is crazy busy.

Happy planning.
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Also going to Disney in dec 2010

My Family and I will also be going to disney in Dec. 2010. We have been before during this time and here is my advice:

I agree that staying on property can be a little to much $$$, but there are ways to more then make up for that. 1st think about getting a disney visa card. Not only to you 6 months no intrest on most disney vactions, but normally they offer free disney dinning plans through out the year. As well as other disney discounts. It saves us over $600. (Family on 3) I am waiting to book our vaction to see what dates in Dec they will offer this. In the past it has been the 1st and 2nd week of Dec.

Think about airfare. Book as soon as you can get a good deal. Most times the sooner the better. This could save you a bundle. Flights also tend to be cheaper during the 1st ans 2nd week of dec. instead of closer to x-mas.

Staying in the vaule resort is one of the best ways to go. I think 2 rooms would be ok if the Grandparents don't mind. just to save some money.

Also think about if you want to buy the water parks or park hopper option. My little one does not do water that well and in Dec I would not want to be in the water. We do buy the hopper option because we like to have the freedom to go to epcot in the morning and go to Magic Kindom later in the day.

Another thing to think about is mickey's very merry x-mas party. We love this. We attend this the last night of your trip. We do not buy park tickets for this day, instead we explore the reorts and down town disney.
Good luck!
Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Also Remeber expansion

Just thought I'd let you know That Disney is Planning a HUGE expansion to Fanasty Land in magic kingdom. Toontown will be closed and maybe other rides. So keep that in mind why planning
Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
canfield77
Earning My Ears

We went down in Dec of 08 and here is some of the things I would def recommend:
The Osbourne Family Spectacle of Lights - this is amazing and a must see! Expect it to be very crowded, but its worth it. The kids will love looking for hidden mickeys in the lights!
Mickey's Very Merry Xmas party - If you go at that time hopefully it won't be TOO crowded, but expect to not ride any rides. If you are big ride people, pass. However, I think the price of admission is worth it to just see all the rare characters that come out, the unique and special shows, and Holiday Wishes! Holiday Wishes was great!
Go and see the Large as life gingerbread house at the American Adventure in Epcot, pretty cool.
Also see the large tree and inside, the display made entirely of chocolate at the Contemporary. You don't have to stay there to just walk around and look at the displays. This was two years ago however, so it might be a different display.
The tree at Wilderness Lodge was pretty cool too
Skip the Xmas Jammin Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom if you've seen it before. It is basically the same thing, just everyone is wearing christmas outfits, not much different.
Hope that helps!
I agree with stay on site, it feels much more magical. If that isn't a option, consider renting a house, they are really nice!
Mar 2007 - One Day only but all Four Parks!
Sept 2006 - Pop Century with BIL and SIL!

canfield77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, christmas, tips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: