Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #136
Disney Brat
DIS Veteran

Aw thanks Queen!! We were thinking of you guys too! Kyle kept asking, I wonder how he likes it? Do you think they went here or there...lol
March 2010 DLR
Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #137
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Well so much for getting pictures uploaded last night, but we're good to go now!!

I took Friday January 29 off to get last minute things done before heading out! I love taking the day off before we leave, the anticipation of last minute packing is quite thrilling for me...sick, I know, but I love it!

Jasmine left the house just after 8am to go and pick up Thomas...now those of you that followed on my PTR know that Hypermommy thinks Thomas needed a Disney name and she thought Aladdin, so from here on out, Thomas will be Aladdin....to go and write their one and only exam. Turned out they had Jasmine's exam all ready but they didn't have Aladdin's...so an hour later they found his so Jasmine just waited at the school instead of driving back and forth. They came home for lunch, then my parents and my sister Purplepeg, her 2 girls, Snow White and Mini Montana came for a visit.

The girls adore Aladdin and never leave him alone, well this day was no different. Mini Montana was so funny, he was sitting on the couch with me and Snow and my parents and Jasmine were on the other couch....well SW happened to be sitting beside him and MM says "where am I supposed to sit".....well, we all know where she wanted to sit, so I said "Do you want to sit beside Aladdin", she shrugged he shoulders said ok, then wacked her sister out of the way. Now, I know that's not good behaviour, but it cracked me up because she is just like I was with my sister when we were little.

So we had a great visit, said our goodbyes and I thought I better get dinner started. Aladdin was going to go home and spend the evening with his family so I had stopped at our local Italian Specialty Shop and got 2 dishes of pasta for dinner. One of the girls from work volunteered to drive us to the airport (she's 21, they stay at the clubs that late she told me) so she arrived at around 6pm. We had dinner and the whole time she talked about going to get donuts. She was craving them!! I wanted to wait a little while longer so I could get an extra large coffee to help keep me awake! We ate dinner, did up the dishes and Aladdin walked through the door! It was 7:45pm. He said he was too excited to stay at home, that they were all watching tv and he wanted to be here. So cute!!

They all decided they were going to head to Tim Horton's at 930 for donuts and my coffee....I have a small addiction to Timmies coffee and I knew other than the one I would be getting at the airport in the morning this was going to be it for 9 days. I sent them off and finished up what I could. We had a long conversation about are we staying up all night or sleeping. We decided we would stay up all night, all of us, together. Yup, didn't happen!! The kids started falling asleep just after 1030, Carrie-Lynn was next, so I set the alarm on my blackberry, shut all the lights off and went to sleep in the recliner.

Before I knew it, it was going off. I decided I would shower first...I know you're all thinking "why didn't I let Jasmine" cause she takes so long, but my thought process was...if I'm completely ready to go, as she is done using her hair products etc, I can be putting them in ziplocs and finishing the packing. This worked wonderfully.

Here is a pictures of the suitcases just before closing them up. I was so proud of myself that I only took 3...one for each of us.

I had gone on in the morning and booked our seats to be sure we were all together, but I couldn't print our boarding passes, no printer. So we decided we would have the car loaded and ready to be on the road at 315am. We walked out at 307, perfect, better early than late. Carrie-Lynn was kind enough to take this for us. You'll notice Jas and I have on the same hoodies...they are Team Canada's Olympic Hoodies. I bought them only the day before and Thomas a long sleeve hockey type jersey, you can just see the "C" and maple leave under his hoodie.

I almost died when we walked though the door of the airport and saw the Westjet line...there were 3 separate flights going out and only 3 people working....to be honest all I could think is "what if I don't have time for coffee" pathetic I know. We made it though in an hour only to go upstairs to security and that line went the entire circumfrance (sp?) of the top floor. Carrie-Lynn ran back downstairs, got me a coffee and I just drank it waiting in line.

As you can tell by the clock behind their heads, security was much quicker than I thought it would be. In Winnipeg, they don't make you take your shoes off which saves a ton of time. I took this just as we got to our gate. I heard someone call my name and when I turned around it was a young lady that used to work for me. I was so excited to see her, they were on their way to Puerto Vallarta. We were chatting and all of a sudden this woman comes over and shushes us!!! Yup, you heard me right, she shushed us. She said "could you have your little conversation after the announcement, I'm trying to listen". I stood their with my mouth open. I looked at the kids and said "were we being that loud", Aladdin assured me we weren't loud at all. I think she was a first time flyer and maybe nervous....I was shocked though. Jasmine thought for sure I would have had a comment for her, but it was far too early and I was too shocked to have come up with anything....halfway to Toronto though, I had about 10 things I wanted to say!!!

On with the show, we boarded and we were all in row 6 seats D, E, and F. Jasmine told Aladdin he needed to read the safety flyer before we took off....remember Jasmine hates to fly!! Aladdin, being the wonderful young man he is, did exactly as she asked. Here's proof

He's not excited at all about going.....

We departed right on time and were able to get some beautiful shots from the plane. It was a bright sunny morning, no turbulence at all, Jasmine was a happy girl!!

Aladdin kept looking at her and asking how she could be afraid, she promptly responded with "it's not always this smooth". We laughed.

We landed without any complications and we were off to collect our bags to head through customs and security. When we got to the baggage carousel there was a Westjet agent there to tag our carry ons. I had never seen this before, but in light of what happened on that Christmas Day flight in Detroit, this was now something they were doing on every flight entering the USA. We proceeded over the the line to go in where customs is and this man who apparently found his job very stressful....was treating everyone like 5 year olds. For a few moments we stood in awe at how he was speaking, then I burst out laughing. He kept grabbing his head and saying "You're not listening, then he made some people go to the back of the line. He asked if we school age children who had a comprehension problems!!! Can you speak? Aladdin looked at me and said you're gonna hurt him aren't you? I just laughed, we proceeded though, customs was a breeze....security was a nightmare. They checked each of our hands for explosives, asked to see our boarding passes 3 times in a 25 foot area, and everyone was rude beyond belief. Do these people not know that we are going to Disneyworld and they are raining on our parade. I know they must be presented with all kinds of hassles themselves, but I just don't get how rude they all were, it wasn't just one of two. Jasmine has a small obession with Chap Stick...had to grab this shot...doesn't she look happy!!

That's better...now that's happiness!! We were just waiting to board our aircraft in Toronto. We had stopped and picked up 3 sandwiches and 3 bottles of water so we had lunch for the plane

Aladdin said Jasmine could have the window from Toronto to Orlando because he thought he would sleep. Jasmine took this just as we were leaving the gate.

That's the plane we got off of from Winnipeg!

No sooner had we pulled away from the terminal that we stopped and the pilot came on saying we had to return to the terminal because the Westjet computer system in Calgary had just crashed and everything was grounded until they could bring it back up. Jasmine looked at me and said "did he have to use that word". They left us on the aircraft in hopes that it wouldn't be that long, turned out it was a half an hour, not bad at all!!

Jasmine took this picture

View of Toronto

CN Tower in the distance

Finally we were home....the descent wasn't good, there were thunderstorms in the area and I have found as I have gotten older, me and turbulence don't get along. My tummy does flip flops so I was sucking on peppermint lifesavers for the whole descent.

We made it off the plane and to the "mini" monorail, we told Aladdin to consider this his first ride. They were both so excited at this point, they just wanted to get our bags and go!!

Here is a shot of the kids on our way to pick up our bags. Why do we need to pick up our bags you ask??? Because my darling sister Purplepeg forgot to phone our info to magical express in time so we had no yellow tags. We had to pick up our bags, then backtrack to ME, which seemed to take forever. I know it really wasn't that bad, but when you're used to getting off the plane and heading straight for ME, it was fine though.....

CON'T IN NEXT POST [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #138
DisneyMomLiz
Mouseketeer

Hi Queen! Yay, you started

Love the hoodies!! You and Jas look adorable! and Aladdin...he wasn't excited at all was he...that smile too cute

for the rudeness in customs/security oh and the lady who "shushed" you

Oh and I too have a chapstick obsession...I have a strawberry chapstick (the only one I use ) in every purse, pocket, etc.

looking forward to the next update!!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #139
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Well, here we were, the ME counter, this always makes it real...seeing your first Disney CM of the trip. This lady was so nice and had us checked in and on our way to the ASMo bus in no time flat.

Please forgive my appearance, I really only had an hour and half sleep, and I was happy, but Jasmine was quick to say "nice hair mom" gotta love it

We were so lucky to get the front seats on the ME bus, it was actually a Mears bus, but none the less, it was taking us home!!! I gave Aladdin the tip money to give the driver when we got off, he loved how different the US money was from ours. I kept being reminded that he had never been to the states before...it made me so happy to see how happy the two of them were.

This is how they looked the entire way to the hotel, those smiles never left their faces, it actually made me a little weepy knowing he really had no idea what joy he would have once he actually was in the World.

It had stopped raining, so I decided to take this shot in case it started again before we went through the main gate....

Glad I did as you can see.

Jasmine tried to get this shot as we were entering, but didn't snap quite quick enough, but you get the idea.

Me checking in, the kids decided they would wait on the chairs with the luggage. As you can see, there was no one there.

Our room....5864...building 5 Fantasia. We weren't right by the pool but as we left our room it was just to the left.

Our table and chairs

Dresser and Jasmine, not quite sure what she was doing here.

I loved these swans, at least that's what we thought they were.

Sink and bathroom, and apparently Aladdin changing his shirt lol

All changed, freshened up and ready to head for dinner at Akershus in Epcot.

First of many bus rides

We had just checked in for dinner and were waiting to be called in

Jasmine, Belle and Aladdin before we went into dinner.
Aladdin ordered the traditional Norwegian dish that was on the menu and he loved it. Jas and I also tried it and it really was delicious. Wish I had ordered it.

I ordered the beef tips and it was horrid, it was like eating shoe leather. Jasmine ordered mahi mahi and it too was horrid...no taste at all. I would not eat here again unless I was on the dining plan and I ordered what Aladdin did, it was not worth $141 which is what it cost with tip for the 3 of us. Yes, it was nice not to stand in line and see the princesses, but overall, not worth it. I didn't get a picture of Jasmine's meal and I forgot to take a picture of dessert. It all came on one plate, there was chocolate mousse cake, rice pudding with strawberry sauce, and some kind of apple in pastry with ice cream. The desserts were the best part of the meal, they were all delicious.

Jasmine

Cinderella, it was nice to see her here, last time we came for breakfast she wasn't here.

Snow White, she was such a sweetie, really kind to the kids. I find once your children are older, they don't pay as much attention to them, which I find sad. It was really apparent to me this time because Aladdin had never been before, it was his first interaction, even though he's 17.

Ariel was an absolute doll. She spent the most time with the kids, she was really quite funny. She asked where we were from and Aladdin said Canada and she said, wow that's quite a swim away....he was a little lost...he eventually got it though. We had a good laugh.

When we were first seated, the lady gave us 3 FP's to TT...I have never seen this before. I thought how wonderful that we would be able to walk right on after dinner. Here's the kids in line.

After riding TT, the children asked if I wanted to go and have my grey goose slushie (do you think I mentioned it a couple times) of course I said they could twist my arm. We headed over, grabbed my drink and a bench and waited for Illuminations to begin. I asked Aladdin what his thoughts were, and the first thing he said is, "it's so clean here". We laughed. I couldn't wait to see his expression once Illuminations started. We ended up moving closer to the lagoon when it was about to begin. He was blown away. I heard him to say Jasmine "this is the best day of my life, because I get to share this with you". Yup 17, hard to believe!! I had a small weep at that moment...the memories of past Illuminations when Jasmine would cry because she was afraid of the fireworks, to her being 12 and trying to capture every single firework on camera, to seeing her standing here with her beau....made me weep, what can I say. I didn't take any pics, I usually don't, I just like to enjoy them!

We headed back to the hotel and were literally asleep within minutes of our heads hitting the pillows.

UP NEXT.....MAGIC KINGDOM!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #140
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomLiz View Post
Hi Queen! Yay, you started

Love the hoodies!! You and Jas look adorable! and Aladdin...he wasn't excited at all was he...that smile too cute

for the rudeness in customs/security oh and the lady who "shushed" you

Oh and I too have a chapstick obsession...I have a strawberry chapstick (the only one I use ) in every purse, pocket, etc.

looking forward to the next update!!
Hi Liz!!

I have to say, they really did a great job on the Olympic gear. They have great red knitted mitts too that have the Olympic rings on the back of your hand and a maple leaf on the palm....I bought 3 pairs

If you look closely over Aladdin's shoulder you can see the woman that shushed us....

I actually found I used chap stick a lot on this trip instead of lipstick, I quite enjoyed the fact that I didn't need a mirror to put it on

Hope you enjoy the next update!!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #141
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Great first post! Sorry to hear about rude airline workers and that your dinner wasn't very good! (for that price the food should be delicious!) It sounds like Aladdin didn't have any trouble finding the magic of WDW!

Also-I totally understand getting choked up at all the memories of having your little girl grow up with Disney! I've teared up many times myself!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #142
PrincessCaitlin
DIS Veteran

Great first post!

I know how you feel about your coffee it's not pathetic it all I don't understand how people survive a day without it!

I am also a huge fan of Tim Horton's coffee

I am glad the flight and checking in was easy

I am sorry about Akershaus I really like their breakfast but I have never eaten dinner there

I love Jasmine's zip up hoodie!

I can't wait for the next update

The Hot Fudge Terrorists and the Curse of the Drunken Punkin

How Much was It?!?!?!?! The tale of our best trip ever!!!!

*The opinions and comments in the above post do not reflect the views, opinions, policies, or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates,
including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all other included areas.*
Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #143
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Brat View Post
Aw thanks Queen!! We were thinking of you guys too! Kyle kept asking, I wonder how he likes it? Do you think they went here or there...lol
Isn't it funny, we do the same thing, I kept texting Peg and saying" I'm sitting where we had our grey goose slushie's in the summer" so she could picture exactly where we were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Great first post! Sorry to hear about rude airline workers and that your dinner wasn't very good! (for that price the food should be delicious!) It sounds like Aladdin didn't have any trouble finding the magic of WDW!

Also-I totally understand getting choked up at all the memories of having your little girl grow up with Disney! I've teared up many times myself!
I knew you would understand!!! We are both very fortunate to have the kinds of relationships we have with our girls aren't we

You are 100% right, he found the magic and has yet to let it go. Even last night, I thought he would have spent the evening at home with his family, but by 630pm he was at our house. He kept asking questions....how much would the hotel be a night....how much are the passes....how much would we need everyday for food......

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCaitlin View Post
Great first post!

I know how you feel about your coffee it's not pathetic it all I don't understand how people survive a day without it!

I am also a huge fan of Tim Horton's coffee

I am glad the flight and checking in was easy

I am sorry about Akershaus I really like their breakfast but I have never eaten dinner there

I love Jasmine's zip up hoodie!

I can't wait for the next update
Awww, Tim's is my favorite, I stop every morning on my way to work!!! On the weekends I get up and go pick it up. I've purchased the coffee from the store, but for some reason doesn't taste the same as when they make it!!

The black one with all the neon Mickey's on it? She bought it at Tren-D last summer!! She bought a really cute pull over hoodie this year that you'll see in the next update. She had to buy it because that one was too thin and she was cold?? Who would have thought we would be cold in Florida?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #144
leamom2princesses
DIS Veteran

You made me teary Queen! What a great first day. You can see the joy and excitement in the kids' faces. How sweet. We were not fans of Akerhaus lunch either. Breakfast was better.

I know it makes you happy to see the kids so happy. What lucky kids those two are to have someone so wonderful taking them to the coolest place on earth!
Past trips: 3/87 Offsite, 3/99 Offsite, 5/03 ASports, 5/06 Offsite, 5/07 CBR, 5/08 POFQ, 5/09 CBR, 5/10 AKL-KV, 7/10 SSR, 10/10 WLV & AKV-Kidani, 11/10 Offsite, 4/11 AKV, 10/11 SSR, 06/12 BCV, 9/12 SoG, 4/13 SoG, 10/13 AULANI!!! 1/14 Swan & Dolphin, 2/14 SoG, 11/14 Fort Wilderness

"Now That's What I'm Talkin' 'Bout!" May 2010 TR
Heading Back To Princess Josie's Castle - May 2010 PTR
Downpours, DIS Meets, & The Dining Plan - May 09 TR
We're Going Back - May 09 PTR
Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #145
Disney Brat
DIS Veteran

What a great start to you vacation!! (Besides all the airport drama...it can never be smooth at an airport, at least for us!) I am so glad Aladdin is loving WDW so far! Your post about Illuminations and Jas made me cry!! That must have been quite a moment for you! How did you guys live ASMo?? I was thinking about staying there next time we go. Looking forward to hearing about your MK day!!
March 2010 DLR
Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #146
foxyroxy40
Earning My Ears

I just found you a couple night's ago your trip with you and your sister and all i did is read all week-end hubby not so happy but he knows how I am when I'm on the disboards and i find someone i enjoy reading then today i found your new trip reportjust wanted to say next time your going thru customs tell them that your going to the happiest place on earth and tell them how good of a job their doingyou know us americans love to have our ego strokedanyhoo aladin's face looked just like mine when i went to canada for the first time that was back before you had to have a passport we went to niagra falls and we stayed on the candaian side i need to plan a visit their soon since my sis lives their now her dear hubby is candaian and he's in the service their so she's been begging me to come for a visit .well i just wanted to tell you that i've been enjoying your trip report
Old 02-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #147
PISCESANGEL
ILoveDisney!

Hi there Queen

I just read all about your trip plans and the first installment of your trip report... I can truly relate to this as my DD is also 17 and we are bringing her boyfriend with us over Spring Break... and it is his 1st time too!

I love hearing about his excitement as my DD's BF is very excited too! I can't wait to hear more.

Good job on the short term planning, and thanks for the heads up about Akershus!

C

Old 02-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #148
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leamom2princesses View Post
You made me teary Queen! What a great first day. You can see the joy and excitement in the kids' faces. How sweet. We were not fans of Akerhaus lunch either. Breakfast was better.

I know it makes you happy to see the kids so happy. What lucky kids those two are to have someone so wonderful taking them to the coolest place on earth!
Awww thanks Leanne!!! I agree, we loved breakfast there, that potato casserole was to die for.

You are so sweet, I feel lucky they actually want to hang out with me, that they don't think I'm a big dork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Brat View Post
What a great start to you vacation!! (Besides all the airport drama...it can never be smooth at an airport, at least for us!) I am so glad Aladdin is loving WDW so far! Your post about Illuminations and Jas made me cry!! That must have been quite a moment for you! How did you guys live ASMo?? I was thinking about staying there next time we go. Looking forward to hearing about your MK day!!
Hi Tiff....it really was one of those moments I don't think I'll ever forget!

I think you guys would really like it...the icons are amazing!!! I prefer the food court at ASMu, it appears larger but I could be totally wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyroxy40 View Post
I just found you a couple night's ago your trip with you and your sister and all i did is read all week-end hubby not so happy but he knows how I am when I'm on the disboards and i find someone i enjoy reading then today i found your new trip reportjust wanted to say next time your going thru customs tell them that your going to the happiest place on earth and tell them how good of a job their doingyou know us americans love to have our ego strokedanyhoo aladin's face looked just like mine when i went to canada for the first time that was back before you had to have a passport we went to niagra falls and we stayed on the candaian side i need to plan a visit their soon since my sis lives their now her dear hubby is candaian and he's in the service their so she's been begging me to come for a visit .well i just wanted to tell you that i've been enjoying your trip report
I am so glad you're ready along, nice to have you. I'll definitely try that at Customs

I get the same look when I go shopping in Fargo, ND.....I love love love Target and could spend hours in there!!!

Thanks again for reading along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISCESANGEL View Post
Hi there Queen

I just read all about your trip plans and the first installment of your trip report... I can truly relate to this as my DD is also 17 and we are bringing her boyfriend with us over Spring Break... and it is his 1st time too!

I love hearing about his excitement as my DD's BF is very excited too! I can't wait to hear more.

Good job on the short term planning, and thanks for the heads up about Akershus!

C
Oh I am so happy for all of you!! I can' wait to hear all about your trip...I didn't notice if you have a PTR going, but I'm going back now to check

If you do want to try Akershus, breakfast is the meal to attend!!!

Thanks for reading along!!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #149
PISCESANGEL
ILoveDisney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post

Oh I am so happy for all of you!! I can' wait to hear all about your trip...I didn't notice if you have a PTR going, but I'm going back now to check

If you do want to try Akershus, breakfast is the meal to attend!!!

Thanks for reading along!!

I'm ashamed to admit, I haven't started my PTR yet

I guess I should start that soon...

Looking forward to more!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #150
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Hello Queen
Came over from Leanne's PTR. Have always loved your screen name Then I found out you are Purplepeg's sister!! How I have loved her TR's over on the cruise board. And THEN I swa Hypermommy!! Or Hypa as my girls called her. Maybe she remembers the -we were supposed to cruise together this past Nov...If you ever do a ladies only trip I would love to come-Leanne can vouch for me

Your TR made me cry. How sweet is Aladdin. And both of you. Just lovin it!!! Subbing for sure!! Keep up the great report!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: