Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
VIVIAN1113
Mouseketeer

Question Polynesian Resort or Contemporary?

I am planning a trip to Disney around March or April for my daughter's 4th birthday. I don't whether to stay at the Polynesian or the Contemporary. Has anyone stayed at either? I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

Vivian
VIVIAN1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Both are great and on the monorail for easy access to the MK and Epcot. Both of them are older resorts so the rooms are larger. Both will have two queen sized beds in the room and a twin sized day bed.

We've stayed at both and it would be hard to recommend one over the other. Both have nice pools, but Polynesian doesn't have a hot tub if that's important. Both have nice restaurants and counter service areas. Transportation is about the same from both.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
VIVIAN1113
Mouseketeer

thank you.
VIVIAN1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Momof626x3
Mouseketeer

We just had to make that same decision. We decided to go with CR because I have 3 boys and it is their dream to stay there (my youngest calls it "Chef Mickey's house"). Plus we are going in August and it will be nice to not have to walk out in the heat (or hurricane) to get to our room. I think it will be great having all that we need right there in one building. But someday I hope to stay at the Poly. Check out the great threads about both resorts and see what feels right to you!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
MScott1851
Got a link for those Trip Reports? ;)
Type A Travel Planner
I'm a complete sucker for a drop dead gorgeous dress and strappy heels

We prefer the Contemporary because of the easy walk to the Magic Kingdom, the convenience of having restaurants/shops/check-in/monorail station all in one building, and the large rooms.

I loved the Poly, too, but it was more spread out and we missed being able to just walk back and forth from the MK morning and night.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both resorts and I would go with the Contemporary because they are the closest resort to the Magic Kingdom, the only one with a walkway that goes there and assuming you stay in the Tower everything is an elevator ride away.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I would pick the theming that appeals to you. We like the theming of The Poly, so that was our choice. It's on monorail and walking path to TTC for Epcot monorail, so IMO you get good transportation to 2 parks there.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Lots of people have stayed at these resorts so obviously they each have their good and bad points for them. What's right for you may depend on your likes/dislikes. You may want to read the reviews here when trying to decide.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

The thing is, on any given day you'll get a lot of people saying Poly or a lot of people saying CR. Think about the reasons why each resort would be better, not just the number of people voting for a resort, because both resorts are clearly popular.

I'd say Poly, by far. The theme is executed very well, with beautiful architecture and incredible tropical foliage. The volcano slide is a lot of fun for kids, and the beach area is a lot bigger than CR's. You don't have a 10 minute walk to MK (even longer if there's a long wait for the tower elevator, or if you're walking from the garden wing), but the boat ride is only 5 minutes (and you can still take the monorail). Poly has a walkway to the TTC, so it has the easiest access to Epcot. Rooms are about the same size as CR's, but more than half of the standard rooms are even more spacious. The hotel, although busy, provides a very relaxing atmosphere and feels like a total escape. Finally, I think a four-year-old girl would prefer Poly's Hawaiian feel over CR's lack of theme.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

I stayed at both just a few months apart from each trip. I've gone back and forth this time and keep changing my reservation. I think that should tell you that you'll be happy at either place.

We love the theme, the resort feel,and the pool at the Poly, but prefer the rooms and convenience of the CR (walking to MK; room, restaurants and Monorail in one building). The people on the WDW reservation must think I'm crazy b/c I've changed the reservation so many times. Everytime, I think I've made up my mind, I think of another reason to change it to the other resort.
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class
April 2014 Grand Floridian July 2014 Wilderness Lodge Club Level
CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic*
*April 2014 Disney Dream* UpcomingNovember 2014 Disney Fantasy

ADVENTURES BY DISNEY - MAY 2014 Viva Italia

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
graceesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I would pick the theming that appeals to you. We like the theming of The Poly, so that was our choice. It's on monorail and walking path to TTC for Epcot monorail, so IMO you get good transportation to 2 parks there.
I have stayed at both and these are my thoughts exactly!

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
vettechick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
swald91
DIS Veteran

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Poly here!! I think a monorail resort with little ones or grandparents-are great! As far as which one is right for you -what theme do you like better? I prefer the tropical one-love Hawaii-so I have absolutely no interest in the GF-although it is a gorgeous place! I think either one is a great resort-

Grand Floridian first time in November!
Polynesian(CL) Dixie Landings & Wilderness Lodge
>>>> BEGIN SHAMROCK IMG CODE <<<<

<<<< END SHAMROCK IMG CODE >>>>>
Thanks BCV23!!!! (And MsStinkerbelle for your help!!)
swald91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
tinkerbellmagic
don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

We have stayed at Poly 4x. Have not stayed at CR, but stayed at Bay Lake Tower last August, so we did use CR's food court, buses, shops, etc. While we LOVED the walk to and from MK, I would choose Poly over CR. I love the lush grounds, the access to the TTC, and I very much prefer Captain Cooks at Poly over CR's food court any day. Like others have said, pick the theming you prefer. Either choice you will be in a great location. Have fun!
tinkerbellmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
Mom2Brooke
Earning My Ears

I vote for the Poly as well! Although I have never stayed at the CR.

My dd was 2 when we first stayed there. We had a garden view patio room facing the quiet pool. She loved playing on the grassy area right outside our room, the beach was great and so was the zero entry pool.

We would take the boat back and forth to the MK and the TTC was just a short walk away when we wanted to go over to Epcot.

I love the smell of the Poly and the lush grounds. It feels like you are in Hawaii or some other tropical paradise and not in Florida. I visited friends staying at the CR and it just didn't feel like a vacation, it felt like any other hotel (although I realize it's not...It's Disney)

Have fun where ever you choose!!

October 2010 - Planned in 4 days - Brooke's surprise 5th birthday trip!!, Tried POP and loved it!!

April 2010 - Polynesian, 2nd family trip!!
April 2008 - Polynesian, Brooke & Daddy's first trip!
Me: Too many times to count, offsite!! Disney Paris-1993, first time 'on-site'-Poly/Wonder cruise-October 2005
Mom2Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #15
Momof2DisneyDivas
Earning My Ears

If you decide on the Contemporary, I would recommend staying in Bay Lake Tower. Their pool & huge waterslide is awesome, even for young kids. My 4-year-old and 2-year-old went down by themselves (with us catching them at the bottom). We loved that it was on the monorail line and within walking distance. We ate twice at the Contempo Cafe and loved it as well as spent quite a bit of time in the Contemporary's shops.

That being said, our last day, we took the monorail to the Poly and LOVED its decor and "ambience". The pool looked awesome with the volcano slide & I loved that there was a beach area. Made it feel like you were on a Caribbean island. We would love to stay there sometime as well.
Momof2DisneyDivas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contemporary, polynesian, question

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: