Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
lmbcdb
DIS Veteran

Thank you DISboards! Top 12 things that helped me on my 1st trip

1. Golf carts at the Fort are awesome for those with little kids and DON'T rent them from Disney. Kenny rocks. 407-276-0809 - half the price of Disney.

2. Get a stroller for older kids. My big 6yo hopped in and out, but it was great for long treks across the parks and back to the busses. Use Orlando Stroller. They are cheaper and more comfortable. My 2yo slept in it for two hours last night and it was plenty big for my 49", 55 pound boy.

3. Get there when the park opens. We did all of Fantasyland yesterday by 10:00 with 5 minute or less waits. We also used TGM's Least Crowded Parks guide and only went on green days, along with his sample park tours. We didn't do RideMax and didn't need it. (it was a really slow week) (tourguidemike dot com)

4. Take the "confirmed snacks" list. I forwarded it to myself in email and looked at it on my iPhone when I needed it. Funnel cakes by Liberty Square rock!

5. Get ponchos at the dollar store. It drizzled yesterday and they worked great!

6. Buy glowsticks before you go. However, not at the dollar store. One out of 15 worked. Try a party store.

7. Make a packing list and use it. I started with the Ultimate one and edited it for my family.

8. If leaving early, (like for a flight) dress and bathe the kids the night before. Then just throw them in the vehicle. We also did this on an early park day and it worked great.

9. Use Fast Passes. And you DON'T have to return during the time window printed. You can come back anytime that day!

10. Read the "What's in your park bag" post and decide what your family needs in their park bag. We used everything I put in but the band-aids! Put things you don't mind losing/getting stolen in a big clear ziploc and leave it in the bottom of the stroller. (diapers, snacks, etc) We just took the camera in the backpack on the rides.

11. Use gallon bags to pack the kids clothes and 2-gallon ziplocs for the adults (Wal-Mart) In each bag pack an outfit - pants, shirt, underwear, socks. Makes getting ready SO much easier - just grab a bag and get dressed! Also, fold the outfit flat as you can, and roll the air out of the bag (or sit on it) as you zip it. I am AMAZED at the amount of clothes we got in our suitcases!

12. Relax. If it's your first trip, remember it won't be perfect. The kids will still fight, your husband will still forget stuff, and they will still get cranky at nap time. Make your own magic. The highlight of my trip was listening to my 2yo giggle on the Mad Hatter Tea Party.

Last edited by lmbcdb; 01-09-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: I started with a top 10 and keep thinking of things to add!
lmbcdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

How nice! Glad you had a good first trip, and thanks for posting your list of what worked for you!

I have visions though of you lobbing your fully dressed still sleeping kids through a car window though...

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
loganjared
Mouseketeer

Where do you get the least crowded parks guide?
loganjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
lmbcdb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjared View Post
Where do you get the least crowded parks guide?
tourguidemike dot com

I think it was about $20, but worth every penny. He breaks down every day of the week (by exact date) and tells you what color each park is that day. (green - go, yellow - go with caution, red - no way jose.) I think he has up to June or July of 2010 done so far.

He also has sample park tours - we used the 2-day MK with small children and it worked awesome - waited no more than 5 minutes for everything all day.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

I've used most of your tips for all of our trips - the one that would throw me though is dressing the kids the night before and letting them sleep in their clothes. Aren't they awfully wrinkled by the morning, I know mine would be. Although I definitely have them take their showers at night!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

Great tips! You're practically a pro now.

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
vettechick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
DisneyPolve
Mouseketeer

Sounds like you got some great tips....glad you had a great vacation! When do you start planning your next one??

DisneyPolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
MrsBlovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Wow!!! Well done!!

Fell in love with the Mouse on our Honeymoon in 1992...been going ever since!

Last trip: March 2014 BLT 1 BDRM TPV...cut short by a pothole and a broken ankle!
Next trip: Nov 2014 BLT adult only
MrsBlovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
lmbcdb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
I've used most of your tips for all of our trips - the one that would throw me though is dressing the kids the night before and letting them sleep in their clothes. Aren't they awfully wrinkled by the morning, I know mine would be.
We did jeans and a t-shirt - a little wrinkled, but a small trade off for not having to persuade a 6yo to get dressed at 4:45 am!
We even brushed teeth on the plane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPolve View Post
Sounds like you got some great tips....glad you had a great vacation! When do you start planning your next one??
already done - used the bounceback to secure the cabins at 40% off for October!

(we are even thinking of coming adults only for our 10th anniversary the first week of August, but I haven't researched the weather or the crowds yet)

Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
Microcell
No, no,no, those red signs with the word STOP on them are optional if they have a white border.
I hope you like Debbie Gibson? I did not and got busted at a DECA National Convention for skipping her concert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
I've used most of your tips for all of our trips - the one that would throw me though is dressing the kids the night before and letting them sleep in their clothes. Aren't they awfully wrinkled by the morning, I know mine would be. Although I definitely have them take their showers at night!
Nope! I have done it every trip.. the key is to have them wear cotton poly blends!

This will be the first trip where we leave at 9AM so we can get up at 6 instead of 4AM so I might let them get dressed before I toss em through a window into the car!
Microcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
lmbcdb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffinito View Post
How nice! Glad you had a good first trip, and thanks for posting your list of what worked for you!

I have visions though of you lobbing your fully dressed still sleeping kids through a car window though...
Actually, didn't have to throw them - my 6yo probably would have slept in the van he was so excited! I told him we were getting him up at 4:45 and he was bounding down the stairs at 4:30!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
lmbcdb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microcell View Post
This will be the first trip where we leave at 9AM so we can get up at 6 instead of 4AM so I might let them get dressed before I toss em through a window into the car!
Ladies and Gentlemen - introducing the newest Olympic sport - child tossing. Accuracy and keeping them asleep are the winners!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 AM   #13
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbcdb View Post
!
We even brushed teeth on the plane!
That's just gross!

Dec 09 YC CL Jan 09 YC Apr '08 WL and POR Jan '07 BWI Nov '05 Swan Oct '03 CBR
tinkbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #14
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Quote:
Actually, didn't have to throw them - my 6yo probably would have slept in the van he was so excited! I told him we were getting him up at 4:45 and he was bounding down the stairs at 4:30!
Too cute!

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen - introducing the newest Olympic sport - child tossing. Accuracy and keeping them asleep are the winners!

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
WDWjen
Mouseketeer

loved your post...

...I've learned so much from these forums I don't think I could list it all..but I'll add my favorite tips I learned about 5 years ago...

Renting DVC points from a member (Rent/Trade Board) to stay at a villa for cash. We saved SOO much money!

For example- 9 pts for a night at boardwalk at $10/point (going rate) means we paid $90/night for a deluxe! NO tax added! That trip we did 5 nights at the BWV..2 kids 2 Adults.

It was so great to have a little kitchenette in our room - we saved even more money by eating breakfast in the room.. storing waters/juices in the fridge.. Our trip to the WLV was our last in a studio - 3rd kid is 4 now - and we cant fit in the studios anymore!! LOL

Nov 11 - Port Orleans Riverside
Jan 10 - Beach Club
Feb 09 - Rental house offsite
Jan 08 - Wilderness Lodge & Villas
Mar 07 - Offsite & Universal
Dec 05 - Saratoga Springs
Jan 05 - Port Orleans FQ
April 04 - Boardwalk Villas
Dec 01 - Port Orleans Riverside
Sept 99 - All Star Music
WDWjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread