Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
MintJulep
Mouseketeer

Questions about Tipping

Hey Everyone,

I am not sure if anyone has posted information about this on the threads before, but I have a few questions about tipping?

How much should we tip our server?

Is there a pre-determined amount that we will be required to tip or is it our descretion?

Besides the server who else will we need to tip, and is their fee pre-determined?

Thanks so much for the help!
Coronado Springs- 2008 All Star Music-2009 7 Day Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Magic-2010 Pop Century-2010Coronado Springs- 20117 Day Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Disney Magic 2011Expedition Everest Challenge May 2012Caribbean Beach and 7 Day Eastern Cruise on Disney Fantasy 2012 Coronado Springs and 7 Day Eastern Cruise Disney Fantasy 2013

MintJulep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintJulep View Post
Hey Everyone,

I am not sure if anyone has posted information about this on the threads before, but I have a few questions about tipping?

How much should we tip our server?

Is there a pre-determined amount that we will be required to tip or is it our descretion?

Besides the server who else will we need to tip, and is their fee pre-determined?

Thanks so much for the help!
http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

All on this website, you tip the server, assistant server, the head server and your stateroom host.

Also tip room service $1>2 an item, Palo you decide, and 15% is automatic on all booze.

DCL says these are 'recommeded tips' for your severs, please ensure you understand it covers ALL food, served, breakfast lunch etc wherever you choose to eat, excepting Palo and Room service.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There are huge threads on tipping, all erupt in controversy eventually.

Tipping is at your choice. DCL recommends a total of $12 per guest per night of the cruise, which is divided among your server, assistant server, head server, and room host. You will be provided with information on the division in your stateroom on the second to last day. Some people to not tip the suggested amount, others tip more.

It is also common to tip a few dollars for room service and to tip the baggage porters (if you use them).

The tip given to your servers covers the tipping for ALL meals except room service (not just the dinners). Even if you never eat in the dining room, you ate somewhere. There is an automatic 15% gratuity added to bar items. Part of the $15 per person charge for Palo is for the gratuity; many people add extra to that--again, your choice.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
KSandbergFL
Life is what happens to you, in between Disney cruises

Disney makes it easy and offers a Prepaid Tips option. I highly recommend it...

And even if you use this option, you can still bring a few extra dollars to tip any room service and drinks you might order.
KSandbergFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
tazgirl1981
My home away from home is Disney World!!

Im sorry I do not mean to hijack this thread but since it goes along with the tipping questions..I would like to know if you can put cash in the envelopes or is it better to give cash to the guest services and get the tickets to put in the envelopes? Just trying to decide which is the best option for the servers and us
tazgirl1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazgirl1981 View Post
Im sorry I do not mean to hijack this thread but since it goes along with the tipping questions..I would like to know if you can put cash in the envelopes or is it better to give cash to the guest services and get the tickets to put in the envelopes? Just trying to decide which is the best option for the servers and us
I don't think it matters one way or the other. We have done it both ways. The only thing with tipping in cash, is that we needed to make sure that we have ones, fives and tens so that we could put the recommended amount in each envelope -- plus a little extra because service is always so good.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazgirl1981 View Post
I actually addressed this issue with my favorite server. While he freely admitted that not all shared his opinion, he found it easier to have people "charge" their tips (or give cash to GS). That way, he got a check every 2 weeks for his tips, which it was easy for him to send home (he was supporting a wife and kids at home). He said he always got plenty of cash for his limited needs on the ship, and with the check he didn't have to worry about tips getting lost, stolen, etc.

I've always charged the tips to my onboard account...paid off with Disney Visa and accrued points toward the next cruise.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

How do you prepay them? If you book online or via a TA is there an option to do this at booking?
jenseib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
caribear
I love WDW!

This is the info I received Tuesday in my Disney Cruise Line Packet:

7- Night Cruise Gratuity Suggestions (per person, including children)

Restaurant Server $28
Restaurant Assistant Server $21
Head Server $7
Stateroom Host(ess) $28
Room Service Your Discretion
Disney Magic 2/6/10 - Western Caribbean 8 night adventure!, Disney Wonder - Bahamas 5/06, Caribbean Princess- Eastern Caribbean 12/05, Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean 12/01, Sovereign of the Seas - Pre-Honeymoon cruise 03/01, Carnival Sensation- Western Caribbean 9/98
caribear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
How do you prepay them? If you book online or via a TA is there an option to do this at booking?
All you have to do to pre-pay the standard tips is let your TA (or DCL if you didn't use a TA) know that you wish to do this and give them your credit card number. You'll receive the tip coupons in your stateroom, and will place them in the envelopes that you give to the CMs on the last night.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
auntsue
DIS Veteran

I don't recall asking for it, but in the cruise booklet that I just received, it says, "Thank you for choosing to pay your gratuities before your cruise." Why would I choose to do that? I don't see any advantage to paying before I even go, but I'm going to leave it. It's not worth the hassle of changing it and unless the service is horrible, we usually tip extra. Just less cash to bring.

Maybe because it was booked with a voucher for purchasing BLT I didn't have a choice. Who knows?

Right underneath the quote is the "3-Night Cruise Gratuity Suggestions (per person, children included)" and it's $36 divided among four CMs. It states that the pre-paid gratuities are based on that table and room service is "your discretion."

Only four weeks from today, I can't wait!

auntsue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney cruise, first time cruiser, tipping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: