Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #3766
chillcoupons
Dis Dad's Club Member #81

Hey guys after hearing someone mention making a charitable donation to "Give Kids the World" I thought it might be a good idea to contact them and see if they could set up a donation page for the Dis Dad's Club. I know we all have charities that we give to already, and that many of us may have our own economic challenges, but as a group we have the ability to raise a decent amount of money for one organization without too much of a financial burden on each of us. I'm talking donations as low as $5.00 if possible (of course if you could give more that would be great also). I don't know if the Dis Dad's Club is ready to make the leap from social group to a charitable force, but I will copy the response I received below. Let me know what you think.

Hi Christian!

Thanks for reaching out to the Village! As the development manager, I would love to help you find a way to engage the other Disney Dad’s in raising awareness and fundraising for the Village. Because you are so spread out, I think the best way for you all to join together to make this donation is through our tool-- www.firstgiving.com

This is an online fundraising site that allows you to personalize a page with your goal, a message to your fellow Dis Dad’s and a simple way to track the progress.

Simply log onto http://firstgiving.com/ and click on the “Make a Page” link on the left hand column of the screen. They will guide you through the process as you go through the steps. First, you will have to choose your charity, so simply type in Give Kids The World. We should be the first name to pop up. You can be as creative as you want with the page. Tell everyone a little bit about your group and why the GKTW is so special to the Disney Dads. Once you have completed the set up, you can send the link to all the dads and they can send it to their friends, family and co-workers. The more the better! 

I will receive an email once it is set up and I will make sure to track it so we have a number to report back to your group in the end. As the dads make a donation, they type in their contact information and we will generate a “thank you” letter to each donor. This letter serves as their tax deduction verification.

If you have any questions regarding this site, please don’t hesitate to call. I am here to help!

I am also attaching our information on the national campaign, Ice Cream For Breakfast, that we are launching this summer. I know the Disney Mom’s panel was enthusiastic to get involved and host Ice Cream socials around the globe for the cause. I thought with 450 active members, it might be something that you find fun as well! Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

All my best,
Brittany

Well
Old 04-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #3767
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Where's the link to the t-shirt design??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiJo View Post

I'm thinking about working on another T-shirt design without a Disney character. I don't know how well that will go over, if at all.
I may try and get one before my trip in May!!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #3768
chillcoupons
Dis Dad's Club Member #81

Here is a link to Charity Navigator GKTW

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=3753
Old 04-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #3769
Ryansdad0727
DIS Veteran

We might be able to work with the make a wish foundation to send kids to disney as thier wish. It is a good organization and if we can get the money together we can contanct them and see if they have any requests for kids wanting to go to disney. We can send them and thier family to disney and if enough of us are DVC owners we might be able to pool our points to house them in a DVC property.
Polynesian: 1992, Port Orleans: Riverside August 2004, Old Key West: July 2009, Old Key West: December 2010, Treehouse Villas at SSR: December 2011, Old Key West: March 2012, Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge: July 2012, SSR: July 2012, Boardwalk Villas: March 2014, Bay Lake Tower: July 2014
Old 04-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #3770
MiJo
DIS member since 1999 and DIS DADS CLUB Member #335

DIS DADS' CLUB T-shirt

I guess the post with the bad news is now back several pages so I'll repeat it here. We cannot get the original T-shirt with Goofy's image because it is a copyright infringement. The Disney T-shirts sold by Zazzle cannot be altered in a way, shape or form. So, I am working on an alternate plan. It won't be as neat as having Goofy but it would be something sorta similar. I found a site called CustomInk that prints two-sided T-shirts for $23.50, including shipping. That's about the same as Zazzle's price with shipping included. They have a bunch of images in their design center so I picked one I thought might represent the DIS Dads, mainly because it's a happy looking cartoon guy. I'll post it here for all to see. If we like this one, we can go with it. Their customer support is amazingly quick! And, they guarantee regular delivery in 14 days.
I apologize for the Goofy shirt. I had no idea we were infringing on Disney's copyright.

Here is the newest design. Feedback, please!!!

DIS Dads' Club Member #335 DisDads Facebook Group Member
Disneyland 1971; Off site 6/90; Dixie Landings (POR) (Alligator Bayou) 9/99; Coronado Springs (The Ranchos) and Portofino Bay (USF) 12/00; AKL, 2002; POFQ, 2003; POR, 2005 (Acadian House); POR, 2007 SeaWorld, 2007; POFQ, 2009.

Last edited by MiJo; 04-05-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #3771
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansdad0727 View Post
y. We can send them and thier family to disney and if enough of us are DVC owners we might be able to pool our points to house them in a DVC property.
While in theory this sounds well & good, it wouldn't work. Since only members can make reservations using points and DVC limits members to 1 transfer in & out per membership per year, pooling points isn't possible due to that rule.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #3772
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Christian... I think making a page on the GKTW site is a great idea! I'm going to direct Maroo (Mary) over here to answer any questions about GKTW, what they do, and another other questions anyone might have. She works with many WISH families and runs the MAW thread here on the DIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansdad0727 View Post
We might be able to work with the make a wish foundation to send kids to disney as thier wish. It is a good organization and if we can get the money together we can contanct them and see if they have any requests for kids wanting to go to disney. We can send them and thier family to disney and if enough of us are DVC owners we might be able to pool our points to house them in a DVC property.
I think it is hard to work with MAW as a whole. From what I understand, each state has their own rules and it might be more of a hassle unless we choose a specific chapter. See my post above about getting Mary over here.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #3773
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

Dole whip!!!!

OK...so I got the SoftServe Machine last week...but had to wait for the Dole Mix to come in.

It arrived today. Following some directions I found online about mixing small batches...I mixed up 2 Quarts worth of mix.

Then I let that chill for about an Hour...seemed like a year or better.

Then I got out the "freezing bowl" from our Freezer. and assembled the Machine...then I poured in 1 Qt into the bowl and watched the magic...and watched some more...this is like trying to watch a pot start to boil. Finally afte about 15 Minutes it started to resemble some sort of frozen texture...I let it run for anoter 10 minutes or so. and finally could not stand it anymore.

We are Float people...So I had filled 4 glasses with about 1 inch of Pinapple Juice...then put the Dole Whip in. My Mixture was a little runny...but it tasted just right....may have to tweak the mix a little on next try...or wait a little longer.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #3774
MiJo
DIS member since 1999 and DIS DADS CLUB Member #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by trennr View Post
We are Float people...So I had filled 4 glasses with about 1 inch of Pinapple Juice...then put the Dole Whip in. My Mixture was a little runny...but it tasted just right....may have to tweak the mix a little on next try...or wait a little longer.

I wish I had a Dole Whip right now, Nate!
Did you see my latest non-Disney shirt design? It's not quite the same without Goofy but it's not bad.
It looks like you'll be arriving in DC a day before my DS leaves for his working interview with the Blue Angels in Pensacola. He's at Andrews AFB, just down the road from DC. DC is nice because most of the museums are free. You will do a lot of walking so be prepared! You might want to pay for the shuttle bus service.
DIS Dads' Club Member #335 DisDads Facebook Group Member
Disneyland 1971; Off site 6/90; Dixie Landings (POR) (Alligator Bayou) 9/99; Coronado Springs (The Ranchos) and Portofino Bay (USF) 12/00; AKL, 2002; POFQ, 2003; POR, 2005 (Acadian House); POR, 2007 SeaWorld, 2007; POFQ, 2009.

Last edited by MiJo; 04-05-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #3775
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

You have got me craving a good Dole Whip right now Nate!!! Your house is closer to me than Disney so I might show up on your doorstep soon!
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #3776
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillcoupons View Post
…Thanks for reaching out to the Village! As the development manager, I would love to help you find a way to engage the other Disney Dad’s in raising awareness and fundraising for the Village. Because you are so spread out, I think the best way for you all to join together to make this donation is through our tool-- www.firstgiving.com

This is an online fundraising site that allows you to personalize a page with your goal, a message to your fellow Dis Dad’s and a simple way to track the progress.
Great initiative chillcoupons and thanks. I am a fundraiser for non-profits and this is a great way to engage a lot of people. We would need someone to set up the page and we can collectively send it to friends and co-workers. It can be imbedded in all of your signatures including the Dis Boards, email messages etc. Something like, you tell two friends, who tell two friends, who tell two friends…

I am a technophobe so you don’t want me to set up the site. If someone can do the tech part, I can draft language for the message. The page itself probably can’t be modified for individuals in the group but when we each send it out, say in an email, you can use the email to personalize it. We should also pick an initial goal. Looking at the number of us, I suggest $2,000. Should be reachable considering the number of Dis Dads. I know some us who would like to give can’t because of the current economic situation, others can and will.

There is also a challenge here. The Dis moms and their ice cream for breakfast fundraiser (one of GKTW motto’s is if a child wants ice cream for breakfast, no problem) could be used to spur both groups on. Maybe some taunting. Could be fun.

If we want to do this and someone can set up the site, I will be the first with a $50 gift. So I skip an ADR and eat cheap during my June trip. What do you say? Man Law?

CJ
Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #3777
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
OK...so I got the SoftServe Machine last week...but had to wait for the Dole Mix to come in.

It arrived today. Following some directions I found online about mixing small batches...I mixed up 2 Quarts worth of mix.

Then I got out the "freezing bowl" from our Freezer. and assembled the Machine...then I poured in 1 Qt into the bowl and watched the magic...and watched some more...this is like trying to watch a pot start to boil. Finally afte about 15 Minutes it started to resemble some sort of frozen texture...I let it run for anoter 10 minutes or so. and finally could not stand it anymore.

Very cool!!

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #3778
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:

Too funny. Sorry but not a Dole Whip fan (please don't banish me) but prefer the Citrus Swirl. Tastes like the creamsicles I had as a kid.

So are you passed out on the couch in Dole Whip overload?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #3779
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Ohhhhh....mmmmmmm......sluuuuurrrrrppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
Too funny. Sorry but not a Dole Whip fan (please don't banish me) but prefer the Citrus Swirl. Tastes like the creamsicles I had as a kid.

So are you passed out on the couch in Dole Whip overload?
Nah. He's probably laying on the couch with an Dole Whip IV drip going directly into his bloodstream!

CJ - the same place that sells the Dole Whip mix sells the Citrus Swirl, too.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #3780
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:

WOW, THAT LOOK GOOD!!!! good job at crackin the code nate.
Closed Thread

Tags
club, dad's, dis

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: