Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #3721
chillcoupons
Dis Dad's Club Member #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!! WELCOME NEW DADS!!!! i ate way to much today at the inlaws. my fl has a scale and i stepped on it. when i smoked 3 packs a day i clocked in at 150lb. that was 8 years ago, now, this thing says im 186lb!!!! i didnt get any taller either. anyway, im gonna rob some peanut butter eggs and go to bed!!!! see you guys on did dads iv!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDadC View Post
come on 186 and you are complaining???? I cant remeber 186 As long as my scale read below 230 I am happy that means I am holding ground. But the peanut butter eggs are just to good to turn down
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
186...sheeesh...whiner.......I weighted 165 when Shari and I got married in 2000...she cooks like Paula Dean...now I see lots of 2's when I get on the scale...oh well....fat and happy I guess.
162 when I met my wife in Feb 2006, Today 208. It's so strange I don't have 3 hours to spend at the gym everyday.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #3722
unclescrooge_0707
I'M ON THE RIGHT!!!
DDC 418

Quote:
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!! WELCOME NEW DADS!!!! i ate way to much today at the inlaws. my fl has a scale and i stepped on it. when i smoked 3 packs a day i clocked in at 150lb. that was 8 years ago, now, this thing says im 186lb!!!! i didnt get any taller either. anyway, im gonna rob some peanut butter eggs and go to bed!!!! see you guys on did dads iv!!!
I'm in on this. Day I met my DW: 170. Now, my Wii Fit says I'm 207.

Of course, that was 14 years ago... and I was 17... and I'm 6'5".

But still, it has been her cooking (and baking) skills that have made the difference.
(Note: I've been instructed that "baking" and "cooking" are different)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #3723
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescrooge_0707 View Post
(Note: I've been instructed that "baking" and "cooking" are different)
They are. I will definitely say that. I love to cook, and to bake, and am not ashamed to say so. I always make our holiday feasts - Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. DW handles the clean-up afterward. When I was younger I wanted to be a chef, but decided against that. Worked in several, and ran a couple of restaurants in my youth - and someday would love to open a restaurant of my own - perhaps sometime I still will. Daddy-O has certainly resparked a bit of an interest in that for me with his breaking out and taking over his in-laws' old place. Perhaps someday....

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #3724
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
A few years ago I topped out at just over 250. I started watching my food intake and walking the dogs more and more. I was digging through one of DW's scrapbooks and found a receipt for the tux I rented for our high school prom - I was 200. The heck with the "freshman 15", I had the freshman 50! I'm happy to say this morning I weighed in at 204.
That was this morning. I may have had a few peanut butter eggs and jelly beans today.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #3725
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Retro Disneyland - 1978 & 1980

Hey guys - I spent a good portion of yesterday afternoon scanning old photos from when I was a kid. I've been slowly going through all of the negatives and photos from my youth and getting them scanned. It's been a long process, but eventually I'll get them all done.

Barry's recent trip down memory lane prompted me to specifically look for some old shots that I had, and I thought I'd share a few here with you all - especially since the majority of you are strictly east coast visitors and haven't been to DL yet. My parents didn't take a ton of pictures (no digital, remember? So my selection to share is limited).

Yesterday I got to 1978 and a trip to Disneyland when my aunt & uncle were visiting us from Seattle, WA. Those were the days when if you were at Disneyland and suddenly remembered that you forgot to get your dear aunt so and so, or your grandmother or heck, even the next door neighbor's dog a birthday card - OR - you just needed to get an anniversary card for your best friends - OR - you really just needed to get a get well card for your friend back home who was sick in the hospital... there was NO PROBLEM - simply walk down to the corner of Main Street, USA & Center Street to the Hallmark Card store and bingo - your theme park day could be complete with that special souvenir. They even sold stamps, and you could just walk down to the end of Main Street and drop that completed card in the mail and get that special Disneyland postal cancellation while you were at it.

(Of course that's nothing really - since in the first year of operation (1955), ladies could browse through Hollywood-Maxwell's Intimate Apparel Shop {the "Wizard of Bras} and pick-up some nice undies if they so choose. I know I think of underwear while shopping at Disney parks...don't you? Back in '55 there was also a real working pharmacy and an organ shop too! I can just hear it now... "Clear out the trunk Henry - put anything in there in the back seat." "Why Myrtle?" " 'Cuz I just got us an organ to take home for our front room, that's why." )

These were also the days that you could ride the Skyway right through the center of the Matterhorn Bobsleds.

1978 was also the year that DL added the Abominable Snowman into the heart of the Matterhorn... you could hear his roar as your sky bucket slid on through the mountain.

My parents DID take pictures of my brother and I with characters, though the CM's did not stand around as they do today, and certainly there was no line-up to meet them, as evidenced by this photo with who knows who else standing around in OUR picture. Sheesh, some kids...where were there manners? I mean really.

The Rocket Jets still flew above the PeopleMover platform (they were moved down to ground level at the entrance of TL in 1997 (DUMB!!!)

The Main Street Electrical Parade (coming back to the MK this summer btw) was still very much all the rage each holiday season and all summer long.

Captain Hook's Chicken of the Sea restaurant was anchored in Fantasyland

You went into the restaurant on the lower level, and then could up to the upper deck to eat, or cross a rope bridge to the patio next to Skull Rock where Peter Pan often came out for photo ops.

The "ship" was demolished when NEW Fantasyland was built in 1981-83. The original Dumbo the Flying Elephants attraction was removed and a new, larger one, was moved to the location of the former restaurant. This is a view of the Dumbo attraction that replaced the restaurant.

And 1978 was the final year before the sedate town of Frontierland hosted the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness! Big Thunder Mountain debuted at DL in 1979. Here the Mark Twain, coming into port, passes in front of the old Rainbow Caverns Mine Train that was replaced by BTMRR. (WDW got their BTMRR in 1980 or I think 1981.). I have NO idea what was up with me for this photo - whether I was being shy, the sun was in my eyes, or I was upset about something... but I was 7 that spring... what can I say?

Here's a similar view from a solo trip out there in 2008 - 30 years sure does make a difference with the vegetation, and a mountain of steel - but otherwise, it's still very much the same view.

THEN I found another trip with a different aunt and my cousins in 1980 during DL's 25th celebration.

Back in those days the celebrations weren't as big and prolific as they are today ... but still cool. I don't remember a whole lot of decorations or special marketing for it - but it was clearly marked on the parade's lead float.

1980 was the final year for the original Fantasyland that debuted when DL was opened in 1955. In 1981 the drawbridge leading over to Sleeping Beauty's Castle was hoisted and the land completed walled up - until NEW Fantasyland debuted in 1983. WHAT a difference those 2 years made too.

Here you can see the original teacups with the old Fantasyland Theatre (that actually was the DL home of the original Mouseketeers in the '50's in the background.

When New Fantasyland debuted, the FL Theatre was gone - replaced by the unique Pinocchio's Daring Journey dark-ride attraction

Here's a view of the Mad Tea Party from 2008. During the renovation it was moved from the center of FL over to the eastside next to the Matterhorn. Note the OBA track behind between it and the Matterhorn.

Finally - here's a glimpse of the Indian Village along the banks of the Rivers of America, as viewed from an upper deck of the Mark Twain.

With the exception of a few additional figures added after World of Motion closed (and then redressed) this scene is very much the same in 2010.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 04-04-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #3726
tutter99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
A few years ago I topped out at just over 250. I started watching my food intake and walking the dogs more and more. I was digging through one of DW's scrapbooks and found a receipt for the tux I rented for our high school prom - I was 200. The heck with the "freshman 15", I had the freshman 50! I'm happy to say this morning I weighed in at 204.
That was this morning. I may have had a few peanut butter eggs and jelly beans today.
Good work on the loss of the weight, working on it myself and have a long way to go to drop the first 50. Darn mac and cheese loving kid

Proud to be DisDad #356
Old 04-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #3727
stopher1

Quote:
That's great Barry. Yeah, I hate to admit it, but in the past 20 years I've gone up to about 245 myself. I won't put all the blame on my wife's cooking since I was about 165 in college, then about 180 when I got married 16 years ago. I have started to work on it myself and really need to do more to get it down. As a Scout leader I'm not setting a good example, especially when part of the program is about physical fitness. My goal is to get back down to 200 this year. Less would be nice, but that's my goal.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #3728
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Stopher those pictures are amazing! I have never been to Disney Land in CA, but a lot of those pictures remind me of images that you would see on Sunday Nights as The Wonderful World of Disney would be coming on.

I have decided that Peanutbutter eggs of of the Devil!!!
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
Old 04-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #3729
steelheaddad
idaho_twr_of_trror_lover

idaho dad loves WDW

I'm a dad of two teens with a DGF we're from Idaho. I grew up going to Disneyland and had always dreamed of going to Disneyworld. Well my dreams finally came true last June (09). We spent a whole week at WDW, I had never even been to Florida. Aside from a couple of little hiccups, We loved it! I think I was more excited than my kids. Now I think I've got a disease. Up until now my only disease has been flyfishing in our beautiful state and visiting Yellowstone but I just cannot get WDW out of my mind. We want to go back again (and maybe again) DGF and I are starting to plan a new trip for early June 2011. Is this normal? Were not rich, I own a portrait studio and DGF is a professor at Idaho State U. We really want to make WDW happen again at least two more times and maybe this coming time add a couple of days at Universal Studios. Were starting the fun of planning and we think were going to do it even better this time. I'll look forward to posting and checking in at Dis Dad Club as we plan our new excursion.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #3730
Mrincredible1980
Dis Dad Member #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheaddad View Post
I'm a dad of two teens with a DGF we're from Idaho. I grew up going to Disneyland and had always dreamed of going to Disneyworld. Well my dreams finally came true last June (09). We spent a whole week at WDW, I had never even been to Florida. Aside from a couple of little hiccups, We loved it! I think I was more excited than my kids. Now I think I've got a disease. Up until now my only disease has been flyfishing in our beautiful state and visiting Yellowstone but I just cannot get WDW out of my mind. We want to go back again (and maybe again) DGF and I are starting to plan a new trip for early June 2011. Is this normal? Were not rich, I own a portrait studio and DGF is a professor at Idaho State U. We really want to make WDW happen again at least two more times and maybe this coming time add a couple of days at Universal Studios. Were starting the fun of planning and we think were going to do it even better this time. I'll look forward to posting and checking in at Dis Dad Club as we plan our new excursion.
I completely understand. My DW and I took our kids and ourselves for the first time in June of 08', and I am since completely hooked to the magic! I have since taken the family back this last winter, and now have a trip booked in October. I also am not rich by any means! I work very hard to give my family something more than what I had as a child. Heck before Disney I had never even taken a vacation in my whole life. I feel that a trip to Disney allows me to be something more than an oilfield consultant who's phone never stops ringing and is always gone from home. It has given me a chance to totally vanish from my business life and devote a complete week or two to my wife and kids. Maybe that's what Walt had in mind when he created Disney. An escape from everyday distractions, and a chance to come back down to earth.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #3731
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
My parents DID take pictures of my brother and I with characters
<--let's just pretend this isn't the thumb, if you get my drift.
(Love the shorty shorts, by the way!)

The pictures are awesome, thanks for taking the time to scan them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutter99 View Post
Good work on the loss of the weight, working on it myself and have a long way to go to drop the first 50. Darn mac and cheese loving kid
Ever since the kids came along, that's been my biggest problem. Finishing their fries, or that last chicken nugget, or the last half of the ice cream cone they don't want anymore.

Quote:
DGF and I are starting to plan a new trip for early June 2011. Is this normal?
Normal? Trust me, none us around here are normal. You'll fit right in!

Welcome to the Club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrincredible1980 View Post
I work very hard to give my family something more than what I had as a child. Heck before Disney I had never even taken a vacation in my whole life.
I think that's what we're all trying to do. Let our kids have it a little better than we did, and instilling in them the desire to give their kids even more.
Growing up on the farm we certainly didn't have much money. Aside from that one trip to WDW, almost all of our vacations were long weekends at a campground. Just getting a room at a hotel with a pool in town for the night was a special treat. My kids have been going to WDW since they were born, but I'm certainly not going to let them forget where they came from.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #3732
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

Well I got my Cuisinart Soft Serve Machine last week. And I promptly cleaned it and put the freezing bowl into my freezer.

Today I check the Tracking on my Pineapple Dole Whip mix.

I have a Jug of water in the Fridge chilling to make a batch of mix.

Guess whats for dessert tonight.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #3733
stopher1

Quote:
<--let's just pretend this isn't the thumb, if you get my drift.
I love you too man!

Quote:
(Love the shorty shorts, by the way!)
Aren't they just IT? Wow - growing up in the '70s sure had some "great" looks. As I went through various pics I was both laughing and embarrassed at the same time. Wondering WHAT my mom was thinking - but then she was just being stylish and wanted her sons to be so too...I guess.

Both of my parents are much younger than my IL's - and it shows in some of these old pics. My mom was very young when she married (18) and still quite young when my brother & I both came along (barely 22 and 2 kids) vs. my DW's mom who was 28 when she married and then 34 by the time DW was born (she's #3 of 4)... so my folks were very much into the styles of the day whereas my MIL & FIL weren't. Basically my folks were hip and my IL's were duds. To this day all these years later, my wife is still amazed that I was into much of the culture of the day as a 7+ yr old (music, movies & tv) that her older parents were quite skeptical of. DW never heard, saw or watched many of the shows, movies and music that I did until after she married me.

BUT WOW looking back now many of the pics are just plain

Old 04-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #3734
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:
You are NOT alone. In this support group you'll find many of us with a similar story Glad you found us and look forward to hearing about your plans for the 2011 trip! You are member # 450!

WELCOME TO THE DIS DAD'S CLUB!

You have been added to the DIS Dad's Club list
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Old 04-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #3735
trennr
DISDad #104
Oh, thee of little faith
Nate....

aahhhemmm!!!

21 days to get DDC-IV setup.
20 days to finish Spring of 2009 TR.

Tags
club, dad's, dis

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: