Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
shaun&miranda
Mouseketeer

Comparison of Port Orleans Frech Quarter with Pop Century

We have been to WDW in December every year for the last 6 years. We normally stay at Pop Century, but this year we were convinced to try Port Orleans French Quarter by a free dining offer. We did once stay in a moderate (Caribbean Beach) when we got married, and also had a short stay in Animal Kingdom Lodge.

We thought long and hard while we were there about the pros and cons of POFQ vs Pop to see if we would upgrade like this in future years. I thought our conclusions might be of help/interest to some of you - I hope so anyway!

Things that Pop Century is better at than POFQ:
Food Court - MUCH larger, much better choice, better food
Disney atmosphere - the fun, colourful atmosphere of Pop felt more Disney to us
Music - at Pop they pipe music (at a moderate noise level) everywhere a guest might be waiting - pool areas, bus stops, many walkways between buildings etc. POFQ did not do this to the same extent.
Buses - having a direct bus service to the Pop was really good. Oftentimes you got on a bus at POFQ only to drive around Port Orleans Riverside for the next ten minutes!

Things that POFQ is better at than Pop:
Quietness - it is a very quiet little resort and very peaceful
Bar - the pool bar is lovely and the bar inside the Jackson Square Hall was very nice
Size of room - the room was noticeably bigger, particularly the bathroom area with the second sink
Boats - the boat service to Downtown was a really lovely way to travel

I found that I missed Pop century's atmosphere (particularly at Christmas time when the jolly holiday music is very noticeable) but I did enjoy the comfort and facilities of POFQ. I think next year if there is a good dining offer we might consider POFQ again, but otherwise we will very happily return to our smaller room at Pop Century and soak up our Disney atmosphere very happily indeed!

Hope this is of interest to some!

Miranda

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We got married at WDW Wedding Pavillion 24th May 2007
shaun&miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
es45
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun&miranda View Post
Hope this is of interest to some!

Miranda
Thanks; this is the perfect review for my family! We are big fans of POP and considered staying at POFQ in 2011.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Mrs Grumpy
DIS Veteran

Thank you! We normally stay at POP and are going to try POFQ on our next trip in 2011.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
MonkersMama
Mouseketeer

Great review! These are the only two we have stayed at as well, and I agree with your lists.

One thing we did enjoy about POFQ that we didn't anticipate was the courtyard in front of our room (building 5 - facing away from the pool). The kids LOVED ripping around on the grass with other kids.

POP buses were very timely. POFQ buses were horrific during our experience - so bad one night after waiting 2+ hours after MK that we took a boat to WL, then a bus to DTD, then to POFQ (3 hours total).

I would return to BOTH resorts.

November 2007 ~ POP ~ DS 4th birthday
August 2009 ~ POFQ ~ Our 10th Anniversary
November 2011 ~ POFQ ~ Happy Graduate School Graduation for me! ~ DS 8th birthday ~ SIL birthday ~ It's turning into a PARTY!!!
November 2013 ~ POFQ ~ DS 10th birthday ~ Mickey's Jingle Jangle 5K
January 2014 ~ All Star Sports ~ My First Half Marathon
MonkersMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
Bella34
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at both & our family prefers POFQ! We feel that POP was too "loud & in your face" with the oversized statues. We liked the quietness & the smallness of POFQ. It is more relaxing after a day in the parks.

We also thought the bus service was much better at POFQ. We always had a seat & never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. Not so with POP - always long lines & either had to stand or wait for another bus. POP is also the furtherst bus stop when leaving the parks.

The rooms are larger at POFQ & don't feel as cramped. We also thought that POFQ had more character.

It really all depends on what your preferences are though. It's not that we would not recommed POP, it's just not for us. I know you will enjoy whatever resort you choose - you will be in Disney after all
Bella34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
Virtucomp
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Pop in May of 2005 and June of 2006. Then we switched to POFQ for August of 2007. I would say that the busses were much better for POFQ. First, Since POP is popular (no puns) and a value resort there are definately more people packing the busses in the morning. We would wait two or three busses to get room to get to the park in the morning (june).

At POFQ the bus stop is covered. There were less people waiting because it cost a little more to stay there. I used to say "we only sleep in the room anyway so why spend the money on the room". I was wrong. I really hate waiting for the bus in the morning. I know, I'm a big kid. We did not have to wait more than a few minutes for a bus as POFQ and always had room on the first bus. Since it was the first stop we usually got to sit. On the way back from the park POFQ is the first stop.

The refridgerator comes with the room so if you have food from outside you can keep it free. Pop charges. We usually get food for breakfast and drinks for the room.

POFQ also has a nice entertainment bar with a guy playing music at night. Pop has a bunch of kids in the pool at night.

I really liked the Pop Century when we stayed there. The themes were cool. But I consider myself cheap and I spend the money to upgrade to POFQ.
Aug 1990 Fort Wilderness Camp, Nov 2000 All Star Movie, Oct 2003 All Star Music, May 2005 Pop, June 2006 Pop, Aug 2007 POFQ, May 2010 POFQ, Dec 2011 Caribbean Beach, May 2013 Boardwalk, September 2014 Coronado Springs Food & Wine Festival, December 2014 First Disneyland Trip
Virtucomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella34 View Post
We feel that POP was too "loud & in your face" with the oversized statues. We liked the quietness & the smallness of POFQ. It is more relaxing after a day in the parks.
This is how I feel about all of the value resorts - too loud, too in your face, too over the top. I get enough of that in the parks in places, I don't want it at the resort as well, so much.

The moderates are like an extra vacation during your vacation - you can stay in New Orleans or on the River or in the Caribbean or Southwest all while you are also staying at WDW at the same time. Very cool. A different world.

I'm ok with a value for a short stay, but if we're staying more than a few days and will be spending any time at all at the resorts, a moderate is much more our speed and flavor, with Port Orleans Riverside being out top choice.
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
deserrai
DIS Veteran

perfect!

I have been debating between Pop and POFQ. I finally decided on Pop, but was second-guessing myself. You've made me feel better about it.

deserrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

It was funny to come upon this post. DH and I had debated over and over about where to stay on our upcoming trip and finally decided to try POFQ. We stayed at POP on our stay last September.

I agree with you about the "in your face" atmosphere of POP, though we did enjoy it very much. It was a very FUN place to stay - no shortage of things to oooh and ahhh over - especially the giant Mr. & Mrs. Potato Heads and the Twister. It was like a huge trip down memory lane through our childhoods. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying there to anyone. The room was clean, staff was very nice, food was good in the food court, didn't wait long for buses (though we did stand every single time because they were so full). In short, we had a great time.

I think this time we were just looking for a more laid-back atmosphere and wanted to stay somewhere in Disney, but "not so Disney" if that makes sense.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
PumpkinQueen
Earning My Ears

Glad I saw this thread! I've been trying to decide between POP and POFQ since I had started thinking about taking another trip down to WDW. The atmosphere of POFQ caught my eye, but with the money that we save by staying at POP, along with time waiting on the buses, makes me think we're going POP all the way!
PumpkinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
SA53
DIS Veteran

I am glad to hear you like both. We couldn't decide and decided to do a split stay with Pop first and then POR Riverside. First time for us at a moderate.

K in SA

SA53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Rayvn
Mouseketeer

I was just trying to decide between POP and POR. Thanks for the help.

Leslie
Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

We LOVE Pop too but decided to stay at POFQ last June for the first time because of the water slide and fell in love. I LOVE POFQ! I still love Pop too, but I loved how much smaller it was and how quiet it was at night. Pop is always soooo busy and chaotic. My sons loved the pool. I loved the live entertainment in the food court at night. The movie on the big screen was fun.

I did miss the food court variety at Pop. I also thought the CM overall were friendlier at Pop and Mousekeeping services were better there.

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Keegansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

There are a couple of extra benefits at POFQ - there is a hot tub - great for soaking tired muscles from spending the day at the park. There is a ceiling fan in the room - great for helping to keep the room cool on those very hot summer nights
Our favorite value is POP, our favorite moderate is POFQ. What we do is set a value for the extra amenities (hot tub, indoor lounge-bar, ceiling fan, refrigerator, etc) that the moderates offer over a value. If the difference in price between POFQ and POP falls at or below that value, we will take the moderate. If the difference is more, we will stay at POP.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #15
Annal606
Mouseketeer

The rooms are larger at POFQ & don't feel as cramped. We also thought that POFQ had more character.

Annal606 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: