Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

T & T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip - Day 15 & 16

Saturday 5th & Sunday 6th December
I made coffee and peeled the oranges we bought yesterday for breakfast. I suppose we had to start eating healthy again at some point.

We squashed the toiletries bag into the little space we’d left for it in the last case and with a little bit of pushing and pulling managed to get all the bags in the car. We checked out and said goodbye to the nice staff and wished them all a merry Christmas.

We drove to Wal-Mart (We can’t keep away). We were specifically after a new set of luggage scales; I was looking for some that went up to 50Kg, to make sure we didn’t break them. They didn’t have any that went that high.

We were going back to Mouse Memories to collect the items they hopefully had picked out for us and we decided to have a look around down town Kissimmee on the way. We have never visited before but knew it was home to some antique shops. We found a place to park and had a walk up and down the main street. Theresa likes antiques and we found a really nice shop. It was a little like the Tardis, once you got inside it was massive going back and back with side rooms coming off of the main one. There was so much Americana we would have loved to have brought home but we just didn’t have the luggage allowance left. We settled for a nice LITTLE Christmas ornament in the end and the guy on the till went through all his quarters in the till to see if he had any with the states on them when he saw me checking the change to see if we’d got any. It’s a really nice place to visit if you are down that way and have a couple of hours you want to fill.

We drove on to Mouse memories and Theresa was very restrained, she nearly managed to restrict herself to only buying the items they had picked for her, NEARLY.

It was almost lunchtime so we headed for the Loop at Hunters Creek. We looked all around the Loop but we couldn’t find Mimi’s Cafe which we had been recommended to try. In the end we found it on the other side of the road behind a new flyover which was under construction. The food was delicious.

Theresa had garlic bread with zucchini and chicken strips to accompany a spinach and artichoke dip while I had good old fashioned liver and onions served with mash potatoes.

We both followed it with bread pudding for dessert.

The menu is very varied and it’s well worth a visit.

We went to Bass Pro after lunch as I knew we’d be able to get the scales there. We did, and I weighed all the cases in the car park. We only ended up having to move one item from the heaviest case to the lightest to be good to go.

We drove to Orlando International and returned the car. We’d driven 985 miles in the fortnight.
After all our fussing and fretting over the luggage when we got to bag drop they hardly looked at them. Theresa felt hard done by and wished we’d put a bit more in.

We had a wander around duty free and picked up a bottle of Southern Comfort and a bottle of brandy as well. The plane, English Rose, took off ½ an hour late which wasn’t any problem.

All of our crew were very nice, especially “Natalie” who we saw go out of her way to make several nervous travellers feel more comfortable. We have heard that standards have dropped on Virgin but that wasn’t our experience. All the crews were pleasant and the food was acceptable as far as airline food goes.

The journey back went reasonably quickly and we arrived in Gatwick at 6.50. Passport control and customs were quick though we did feel a little anxious walking past the dozens of customs officers with our trolley load of cases.

Peter ( BIL) picked us up and despite the torrential rain ( it really was like a Floridian down pour) we made it home in good time.

Highlights of the holiday
MVMCP
The meals at The Cheesecake Factory, Kona cafe, Mimi’s and Grand Floridian Cafe to name just a few.
Black Friday sales
Barefootin’ in the keys
Wal-Mart
Lows
The meals at Ohana and Biergarten
The weather was not as good as our last November trip.

We were only home for a week before we booked the next trip.
Hope you have enjoyed reading our report.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

Last edited by tony64; 01-14-2010 at 10:04 AM.
tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony64 View Post
All of our crew were very nice, especially “Natalie” who we saw go out of her way to make several nervous travellers feel more comfortable. We have heard that standards have dropped on Virgin but that wasn’t our experience. All the crews were pleasant and the food was acceptable as far as airline food goes.
I had a very pleasant flight with Virgin back in September, the crew members were excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony64 View Post
we did feel a little anxious walking pasted the dozens of customs officers with our trolley load of cases.

Glad you had a nice time. As I said in a previous comment, I've really enjoyed your report.
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

Have really enjoyed your trip reports and photos

Tina
Jets fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

You managed to pack plenty into your last day - and enjoyed another lovely meal from the sound of it.

I see you've booked again - so plenty to look forward to. The mouse calls...
Old 01-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Bravo!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

Thank you so much for sharing your adventures. I have really enjoyed reading this report, which has given an insight into a lot more than the parks ... you mention so many shops which I would love to visit but have never come across (or drag the family away from the parks in order to try and find) ... such as Michaels, Joanns, Mouse Memories. Maybe when we get th chance to visit Orlando without the kids in the future we will get there.
Thanks again.
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
Kevin Stringer
Chat Host
Oddly concerned about an elephant living in his pyjamas
The TF would like to see Kevin’s rendition of 'Great balls of fire'

Good job with the trip reports Tonester.

Just one thing - plan a little more shopping for the next trip.

Kev
Kevin Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

always sad to be off home, but great news another trip booked up.

mimi's sounds good and being as that is what we call our little 'un we should pay a visit.

Thanks for sharing, great facts and detailed narrative as usual
Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
Goofysmate
Isn't fussed where she is, as long as it's a bit warmer than here

Enjoyed your report along with the photo's . Can't believe how much shopping you did.
We are hoping to visit some of the craft shops you've been to also , so by the shelves should be restocked
Sept 2006 Weston Hills (Villa)
Nov 2008 Regal Palms (Town House)
Goofysmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofysmate View Post
Enjoyed your report along with the photo's . Can't believe how much shopping you did.
We are hoping to visit some of the craft shops you've been to also , so by the shelves should be restocked
Looks like you will be going just after we get back from our next trip so they may well be empty Jill.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #11
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Great reports Tony, thanks for sharing

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

really enjoyed reading,thanks for sharing,you have given Dh and I a few ideas for future trips

[/IMG]

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Stringer View Post

Just one thing - plan a little more shopping for the next trip.

Kev

I could have done with your scales this last trip Tony

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Great report Tony, thanks for sharing

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #15
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

thanks for all your reports, really enjoyed reading them all.
looks like you had a fab trip
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge@Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday@Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: