Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #76
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Wow- I am late to this party. I hope you had a great trip!
aprilisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #77
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! I made it home yesterday morning after a great week down in Florida. It was a short, but fun trip. I really felt like I could have used at least another week though. Getting up this morning to go to work was no fun at all. I won't be doing a regular trip report for this trip, since I'm still working on my December trip report, but I'll mix in my thoughts and a bit of a mini report trip here. The snow put a damper on the begining of the trip, but we ended up with some really great moments on this trip.

This trip really helped bring back some of happy magical Disney feelings back to me. I haven't got that far in my December trip report, but by the end of that week I was on serious Disney overload. Parks were crowded, people were miserable (myself included), and I wasn't feeling any Disney love by the time I left. Leaving the World in December, I really wasn't in the mood to get back anytime soon and was kicking myself for buying the AP tickets forcing me to go back.

Being there this time brought the good Disney magic back to me, and now I can't wait to get back in October. I'm even plotting to see if I can squeeze in a long solo weekend while I have the APs. (Not likely now that I'm only working one job, but I'm going to try).

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
If U Had Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #79
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
YAY!

I'm so glad you had a good time and were able to recapture that Disney magic.
Thanks! Sometimes it's just so much easier to travel with family than with friends. I feel much more comfortable being honest with my family about when I need a bit of a break for some alone time. It made it much more relaxing for me.

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #80
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

So good to hear that you had a great trip and that you are looking forward to more Disney trips again!

In hindsight it sounds like the decision to invite your BFF was not the right one to take, but I think you would have always have felt guilty if you hadn't asked her along. At least now you know much more about how and with whom you want to vacation!

I went through a similar learning process...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #81
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
So good to hear that you had a great trip and that you are looking forward to more Disney trips again!

In hindsight it sounds like the decision to invite your BFF was not the right one to take, but I think you would have always have felt guilty if you hadn't asked her along. At least now you know much more about how and with whom you want to vacation!

I went through a similar learning process...
It's tough about my BFF. We get alone really well, and for the most part vacation really well together. I would have been fine on this trip I think if I had a bit more solo time. For some reason she didn't want to do anything without having me along. I'm baffled as to why, because whe travels all over the world by herself.

I'll be going with her again in October, but this time I'm going to plan accordingly and schedule in all my free time right at the begining.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #82
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
Thanks! Sometimes it's just so much easier to travel with family than with friends. I feel much more comfortable being honest with my family about when I need a bit of a break for some alone time. It made it much more relaxing for me.
You know, that's a talent I still haven't mastered. Inevitably, on every family trip, there is some kind of disagreement, and usually it's because I'm so pent up with frustration I end up exploding.
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #83
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

How Many Days is Enough?? This is the trip that just won't plan itself!

This trip is not allowing itself to be planned easily. Now that my mini trip is over I have to sit down and make some decisions as the 6 month date is approaching at the end of the month. Oddly enough though, the one thing I'm not really worried about is dining reservations. I've made a little priority list for myself.

1) Book a Resort - Disney still hasn't released the amount of the discounts for the official resorts. It's getting closer to the 6 month mark so I'm going to have to pick somewhere if I want to be able to make my dining reservations at the 180 day mark. I really want to stay at a deluxe ( I am turning 40 after all), but without a discount the prices are just crazy. My first choice would be an Epcot area resort. I fell in love with the location while staying at the Boardwalk Inn in December. During Food & Wine the location is even more of a prime feature. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Beach Club (if I can finangle a good code). It's one of the official race resorts, so we won't have to worry about transportation. I also figure that the day after the race we won't really be up to doing a park so Stormalong Bay will be a perfect place to chill and relax with some drinks. Since Yacht Club and the Boardwalk are both within walking distance I'd consider either of those as well with a good discount.

Without the discount I'll probably have to go with POFQ. I really like it there, so I wouldn't be too upset. Staying deluxe this last trip really did spoil me a bit though. AsSp is the value race resort, but I really want to go at least moderate this trip.

2) Figure out How Many Days at Disney and How Many Days at Universal - I put my friend off on this one last year, and now I have no choice but to work it in. I really do want to see the Harry Potter world at Islands of Adventure, but I hadn't really thought about how hard it would be to work into the schedule. Optimally I would have liked to start the trip at Universal and then move over to Disney. The problem is that I'll never make it through the race if we do parks first and then the race. I'm already exhausted at the end of a week of just the parks. I'm torn between 5 nights at Disney or 6. If the race wasn't occupying most of the first 2 days I'd do 5 without a problem, but pre-race relaxation and prep stuff will take up most of that first Friday and Saturday. We might do a little bit of park stuff, but they defintely won't be huge park days. So far this is my preliminary plan:

Friday Oct.1 - Arrive on Early Flight. Check in to resort and head over to World of Sports for race packet pick up. Possibly head to a park at night. No real major park touring though.

Saturday Oct. 2
- Possibly head to a park for awhile in the morning before heading back to the resort for some rest in the afternoon. The race is at 10 pm, and the after pary goes until 3:30 am. (Of course, understand, that I'll be finishing the race at about that time ).

Sunday Oct.3 - Sleep in! Have breakfast at the resort and spend the afternoon relaxing by the pool with a couple of drinks. Possibly a spa treatment in the morning. (Pedicure after the race perhaps?) I'm thinking this will be a good day for MNSSHP. We are both considering this a must this year, as we both loved it backin 2007. We can go to a park right when it opens to party goers at 4pm and possibly eat at CRT.

I'm feeling pretty confident about my plans up to this point. I can't deciede if we need two more full days after this or three. I'm leaning towards 3, but we could save some money by doing only 2. We really aren't going to be doing much park touring the first 3 days so I'm thinking we'll need the 3 days later. Anyone any thoughts?

Monday Oct.4 - If we do only 2 more days, this will be an Animal Kingdom morning, possibly heading to Epcot or DS at night. If we do 3 days it will be a DS day.

Tuesday Oct. 5 - Again on the 2 more day plan this will be a DS morning, Epcot evening. On the 3 day plan it will be an Epcot day.

Wednesday Oct. 6 - On the 3 day plan this will be our Animal Kingdom day. Otherwise we'll check out early in the morning and head over to Universal early so we can enjoy a full day at the parks using their front of the line guest pass perk.

Thursday Oct. 7 - On either plan it will be a Universal/Islands day.

Friday Oct. 8 - Will be spent either flying home, or at Universal.

Saturday Oct. 9 - If we do the 3 day plan this will be the return home day.

I'm also toying with the idea of renting a car at the end of the week and going to visit my grandmother. If I do that then the 2 day plan would be a better choice. I'm going to drive myself nuts with this. I'm thinking of just booking my flight down now while it's cheap and then making a decision about the rest later. I'm feeling very Scarlett O'Hara worrying about that another day.

I'm planning on 2 nights at Universal, and have pretty much settled on the Hard Rock Hotel. It was between that and the Royal Pacific. The Royal Pacific was a bit cheaper, but the Hard Rock is defintely more us. The price difference for the 2 nights wasn't really enough to make a huge difference.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #84
maroo
DIS Veteran

Hi there! I just wanted to pop in and tell you - YOU CAN DO IT!

I promise you! You can!

I am not in the best shape...certainly not a skinny person ...and I was able to complete the full 13.1 miles. You can do it!!
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #85
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

I would say that you should stay the additional night at Disney. It will make it easier for you to move over to Universal! Would it be possible to hop from WDW to Universal after the race and then go back to WDW? You could do the pool lounging on the day after the race at the Hard Rock Hotel which seems to have a fantastic pool... I don't want to confuse you any further, just putting out suggestions...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #86
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
Hi there! I just wanted to pop in and tell you - YOU CAN DO IT!

I promise you! You can!

I am not in the best shape...certainly not a skinny person ...and I was able to complete the full 13.1 miles. You can do it!!
Thanks! I've been doubting myself lately, wondering what in the world I'd signed myself up for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I would say that you should stay the additional night at Disney. It will make it easier for you to move over to Universal! Would it be possible to hop from WDW to Universal after the race and then go back to WDW? You could do the pool lounging on the day after the race at the Hard Rock Hotel which seems to have a fantastic pool... I don't want to confuse you any further, just putting out suggestions...
I did think about doing that, but the front of the line perk staying at a Universal resort is just too good. I don't really want to hop to Universal and then have to come back.

I'm really leaning towards the extra day. Hopefully I won't have to resort to fuzzy Disney math.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #87
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! I've been doubting myself lately, wondering what in the world I'd signed myself up for.
Don't doubt yourself! Really!

I really did not "know" I could do it until 1 week before the race...and even during the race I was not positive...so don't believe the doubts...train, put in the miles and you can do it!!
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #88
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Hi Crissy!

So glad this last trip got you back into your park loving groove! I kinda felt that it had been a bit of a downer with your friend, and was hoping it hadn't turned you off forever from travelling there again- esp. with the AP!

Now you know, for yourself, what you need and what works for you!

Thoughts on the upcoming trip:

Go deluxe! 40 was a huge milestone for me, and I'd say you might need an extra bit of pampering to make you feel special! Are you only considering EPCOT resorts?? WL?? AKL?? Just wondering.

If the price diff. isn't that much between HRH and RP, go with the HR!!! It looks so nice!

YOU CAN DO THIS 1/2!!! keep up your training schedule and you'll do GREAT!!! Don't plant those seeds of doubt!

The front of the line perk is a nice one! I'd take full advantage of it!

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #89
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
Don't doubt yourself! Really!

I really did not "know" I could do it until 1 week before the race...and even during the race I was not positive...so don't believe the doubts...train, put in the miles and you can do it!!
I've been battling some foot pain lately which has rendered me unable to just walk. It's been my major training issue lately. I'm going to have to finally cave and go to see a doctor soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Hi Crissy!

So glad this last trip got you back into your park loving groove! I kinda felt that it had been a bit of a downer with your friend, and was hoping it hadn't turned you off forever from travelling there again- esp. with the AP!

Now you know, for yourself, what you need and what works for you!
It did turn me off a bit. I feel horrible for feeling like that, because really we do travel well together. I just don't know why this trip I couldn't get any breathing room. She travels all over the world by herself usually.

I'm definitely scheduling another spa day for myself. I'm almost at that point in my Dec. trip report, but my spa day was really one of the big highlights of my trip.

Quote:
Thoughts on the upcoming trip:

Go deluxe! 40 was a huge milestone for me, and I'd say you might need an extra bit of pampering to make you feel special! Are you only considering EPCOT resorts?? WL?? AKL?? Just wondering.

If the price diff. isn't that much between HRH and RP, go with the HR!!! It looks so nice!
Can I say how much I love all my enabling Dis board friends?! I just love that there are so many people ready to help me talk my way into a deluxe resort.

Right now I'm primarily looking at the Epcot resorts. We want to really take advantage of the Food and Wine Festival this trip, so the location just works a bit better. I love the fact that you can walk to 2 parks.

I have a friend at work who I mentioned going to. If she goes we may look into staying at the Poly. According to Disney's site, all rooms have 2 queens and a daybed. I wouldn't want to take the chance with the Epcot resorts that we wouldn't get a daybed. It is also an official race resort, so there will be transportation to and from the events.

I really would like to stay at WL too. It's not completely off the maybe list yet. If I go with renting a car, and I don't have to worry about transportation, I'd like to try it out.

Quote:
YOU CAN DO THIS 1/2!!! keep up your training schedule and you'll do GREAT!!! Don't plant those seeds of doubt!
I've been putting off a visit to the podiatrist, but I think I'm going to have to finally cave and go. I have my referral all set, but I just hate having to take time off from work to see a doctor. My right foot has been really holding my training back. I'm having horrible pains where my toes join my foot, keeping me from rolling through the ball of my foot. The foot keeps swelling up a few sizes as well.

It seems to be primarily in a spot where I had broken 3 toe joints sled riding as a kid. I'm thinking that it may possibly be some kind of early arthritis, since that tends to develop in former break locations.

I hate visiting doctors, but I think I've hit the point where this just isn't going to go away on it's own.

The front of the line perk is a nice one! I'd take full advantage of it![/QUOTE]

Old 03-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #90
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Quote:

It seems to be primarily in a spot where I had broken 3 toe joints sled riding as a kid. I'm thinking that it may possibly be some kind of early arthritis, since that tends to develop in former break locations.
I think old injuries often come back to bite our butts later on. I fell on some stairs when I was pregnant, square on my spine. That spot has never really healed and seems to be only getting worse. I suspect I have a bulging disc or something. It stinks as it keeps me from being as active as I'd like to be too. Crissy! You need to see your doc! At least you should see he says! Go!

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: