Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #31
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Two whole posts to read tonight!! That's great!

For $110 bucks I'd say you got a great deal for a room AND parking. Nicely negotiated!

Did you try to talk to an agent and tell them of your mistake?? I wonder if they'd be fogiving and waive the fee?

That's funny your parents won't try another resort. I'd be excited to give them all a try at least once.
The deal is great, especially as I'll be taking advantage of the full 10 days. The last time we used the deal they somehow got us to pay more once we got to the hotel. This time I have the back up in writing so they can't try to pull one over on us. I just have to remember to bring it with me.

I didn't try to call them. I just fixed in online. I was just so annoyed with myself for doing something so dumb.

My parents are pretty set on their resort. I guess their feeling is they know it, they love it, why change? I think they'd try a deluxe. Maybe.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
If U Had Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #32
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

I did it!

Today I finally made myself officially register for the Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon.

I've now paid, and unless I want to throw away the money, I had better start training. I can't believe how much more real it feels now that I've paid.

It's feeling a just a little bit scary now.

13.1 miles!!!!!

I also signed up for a local 10K race in June. My SIL is going to run it as well, and my brother is running the half marathon they have at the same time. I figure it will help keep my on track with my running, and having family there will be a great support boost.

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #33
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Congrats

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #34
micandminforever
DIS Veteran

Good luck with your training.
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
micandminforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #35
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

WINGS! YOU DID IT!! I would certainly think that the paying up would change your perspective and add a sense of urgency. I know you'll do great! And think---- it's in DISNEY!! If that's not a reward I don't kwow what is! Well, ok, you'll feel and look great, too.

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #36
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
Good luck with your training.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Congrats
I'm still in a bit of shock that I'm going to do this.

Quote:
WINGS! YOU DID IT!! I would certainly think that the paying up would change your perspective and add a sense of urgency. I know you'll do great! And think---- it's in DISNEY!! If that's not a reward I don't kwow what is! Well, ok, you'll feel and look great, too.
Paying takes away any excuse I may come up with for not doing this. Especially the first 10k race. I think it will really help to run the race with my family. It will be my SIL's first race too, and my brother has done several of them. A nice mix of someone sharing the new experience with you, and someone who's been there before to give advice.

This is all confirming my committment to myself. Now I just have to get the training in gear.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #37
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

It's All About the Food

Other people do travel with family and friends who put in an opinion about where they eat right?

Not me obviously. After planning my last trip with a friend who said she didn't care where she ate, I was looking forward to an easier, less stressful time planning my parents ADRs. I was figuring they'd give me a nice little tidy list and we'd be set.

No such luck.

After booking the room, I asked them where they wanted to eat. My father always has a standing request for Le Cellier, but after that I heard crickets. Seriously, I can't be the only person who cares where she eats. I managed to get from my mother that she definitely wanted TS meals, but after that no real opinion. Just book what you like I was told.

I may have flipped out a little, inside at any rate. I gently told them this was their vacation, not mine, and I wanted to be sure they didn't end up eating somewhere where they had no interest. After a bit of hemming and hawing I finally got my mother to put in a request for the Brown Derby and my father said he'd like to eat at Boma again. After that they were stumped. I was happy that I had a small list at any rate. I felt much less guilty about picking two restaurants than I would about picking all five.

My parents decided against park hoppers for this trip, so I didn't really have the most flexiblity going into planning our meals, especially with the parks closing fairly early on a few nights. Their only request was that they see all nightime parades/shows/fireworks. With just over a month before our dates, I did warn that I probably wouldn't be able to score the much desired Le Cellier ressie.

I was amazed at how easy it was to make the ADRs for this trip. Maybe because this is the first trip I've taken in awhile that is not during a free dining period, but I was able to get all the ADRs they requested, Even Le Cellier. I had to be a bit flexible with some of the times, eating early in a few cases, but my parents typically eat early so they won't mind at all. I'll be going a bit crazy eating that early, but that's okay. It will make sure that my mom and I have room for our nightly beignet stop at the food court when we get back from the parks.

So the plan

Friday 2/26 - Rose and Crown 6:30 pm - This was one of my pics, and the one that I'm a bit unsure about. I've wanted to eat here for awhile, but never had the chance. I figured that it was a good choice since we don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent. My father was a bit iffy on it, but really he'll eat anything. My concern is really with the weather, and that we'd get stuck at an outside table in the cold.

Saturday 2/27 - Boma 5:10 pm - I was so happy that my father picked this one out. Yum!

Sunday 2/28 - Hollywood Brown Derby 3:35 pm - So early, but this is the only day during our trip that they will be running Fantasmic. Fantasmic's at 7,and since I'm thinking we'll need to be getting our seats an hour or so before hand, I didn't want to rush the meal. This was the best available time they had. For the girl who normally eats dinner at about 7/8 o'clock this is going to be a bit rough.

Monday 3/1 - Liberty Tree Tavern - 4:25 - A bit early, but again the time was picked so we could have plenty of time to catch Spectromagic at 7pm. While I don't mind standing to watch the parade, I know that my parents will need a seat. This was my other pick, and I can't wait to eat there for the first time.

Tuesday 3/2 - Le Cellier - 2:35 pm - A late lunch. I would have preferred dinner, but at less than 2 months out I was thrilled with getting anything for Le Cellier.

Wednesday we check out. I was thinking of trying to get a Kona breakfast ressie after we pick up the rental car. We are planning on heading in to a park for a few hours before getting on the road. Still thinking about this one.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #38
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Great ADRs

I've never tried Boma or Le Cellier. I need to put those on my list.

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #39
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Great ADRs

I've never tried Boma or Le Cellier. I need to put those on my list.
I am probably one of the few people who can take or leave Le Cellier. I'm not a huge meat eater so I'm missing the main attraction. I do love the cheese soup and a few of the appetizers so it's not a wash.

Boma I love, and was happy that someone else wanted to eat there. I'm not wildly adventerous, but I do love to try new things. The buffet there really makes it easy to try things, yet it never tastes to me like typical buffet food. Normally I hate buffets, but here I'm happy. I think it's worth trying once to see how you like it.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #40
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

I"m signing up for the "meh about Le Cellier" club too. I'd so much rather have a very well cooked vegetarian dish than a steak any day. Not that I don't like steak, but once every 6 months is enough for me.

I, like you, am very excited for our Boma choices. Everything there looks so yummy! Can't wait. Bring back lots of pix for us!!

L

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #41
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

I finally made it over!!

I also am checking out your blog. I love that you've posted about your experience with C25K over there.

I'm so excited to follow along and hear about your experience running your first half marathon! I can live through you before I get to try it myself. You can do this!!

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #42
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Brown Derby seems like it's more of a late lunch. Any thoughts of having a brunch somewhere about 10am? I'd keep trying to change that LTT adr to a later time....I bet you can get it --try a table for 4. Did you consider The Plaza?

MRYPPNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #43
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I"m signing up for the "meh about Le Cellier" club too. I'd so much rather have a very well cooked vegetarian dish than a steak any day. Not that I don't like steak, but once every 6 months is enough for me.

I, like you, am very excited for our Boma choices. Everything there looks so yummy! Can't wait. Bring back lots of pix for us!!

L
Me too. I had steak at Citricos this last trip and it was fantastic. I'm usually just as happy with chicken or veggie dishes though. Boma though....
I can't wait to get there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissanboys View Post
I finally made it over!!

I also am checking out your blog. I love that you've posted about your experience with C25K over there.

I'm so excited to follow along and hear about your experience running your first half marathon! I can live through you before I get to try it myself. You can do this!!
I've been off to a slow start with the weather being so cold, but I will do it. The money is paid. No bad excuses to myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
Brown Derby seems like it's more of a late lunch. Any thoughts of having a brunch somewhere about 10am? I'd keep trying to change that LTT adr to a later time....I bet you can get it --try a table for 4. Did you consider The Plaza?
I'd really like to keep the Brown Derby since my mother asked for it. I didn't book the Fantasmic package, but I know that they tend to give you weird times like that for it. I'm not sure how much time I need to leave for seating for Fantasmic now that it has reduced shows. I never made it this past trip, and the trip before it was raining up until about 15 minutes before show time so it was slow to fill up. (And there were 2 shows a day then). I'm thinking an hour minimum. I'm going to keep trying to bump the time back to about 4:30 or so.

I should look into checking LTT too. The Plaza was available, but at the same times as LTT. I guess I hit the point when I can get ADRs but the times were less optional. The earlier park closing and show times aren't helping matters.

Luckily my parents don't mind the early eating times. They regularly eat pretty early because of my mother's exercise class times during the week.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #44
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

I'm subbing! You are inspiring, we are finishing up our trip on 10/2 and I saw the 1/2 marathon (and there is also a 5K that morning in MK) and was SOOOOOOOOO tempted, but afraid. I think a 5K would be more up my alley, but I'm worried that to put it at the end of a trip wouldn't work out well. I wish I could just get over the "I can't do this" feeling and start training! Cannot wait to read more of your report(s)!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #45
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
I'm subbing! You are inspiring, we are finishing up our trip on 10/2 and I saw the 1/2 marathon (and there is also a 5K that morning in MK) and was SOOOOOOOOO tempted, but afraid. I think a 5K would be more up my alley, but I'm worried that to put it at the end of a trip wouldn't work out well. I wish I could just get over the "I can't do this" feeling and start training! Cannot wait to read more of your report(s)!
Welcome!

I defintely don't think I could do a 1/2 at the end of vacation. My poor legs would have nothing left in them. I thought of trying the 5k too, but I'm afraid that it would be too much for me. I don't want to poop myself out before the big event.

Best way to get over the I can't do this feeling is to pay the crazy Disney fees for a race. Now that I've shelled out the money, I'm going to do it no mattter what.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: