Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #151
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

I LOVE the idea of a night race too. I'm a total night owl and would think running a course at night would be super fun!

AND, who wouldn't want to be at EPCOT partying with desserts at 2:00AM??

Have you been to Jellyrolls before, Crissy?? Does anyone have pix? Is it worth the $10 cover charge?? TEll me all!

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #152
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
I LOVE the idea of a night race too. I'm a total night owl and would think running a course at night would be super fun!

AND, who wouldn't want to be at EPCOT partying with desserts at 2:00AM??

Being a night owl is the curse of my life. I'm wide awake in the middle of the night, then I don't want to get up for work in the morning. To be there at Epcot will be wonderful!

Quote:
Have you been to Jellyrolls before, Crissy?? Does anyone have pix? Is it worth the $10 cover charge?? TEll me all!
I went to Jellyrolls one night at my last trip. Both my BFF and I had so much fun. We both thought it was well worth the cover charge. No pictures though, it was a bit dark in there, and I doubt anythinging would have come out very well.

It's nothing fancy in there. There is a big stage at the front with two pianos. In front of the stage are a bunch of small tables and chairs, with a row of stools lining the back edge. There is then one step up to the level the two bars are on with a few more higher tables and stools.

If you want the them to play a song you write your request down on a piece of paper or napkin and drop it off on one of the pianos with a $1 or so. They seem to divy the songs up by type. One guy seemed to sing more of the ballads and the other one was a bit more rock and roll. Every so many songs they would switch out with another pair to take a break. Both pairs were wonderful. One guy sang a fantastic version of "The Rainbow Connection" exactly like Kermit. They will only sing a particular song oncea night, although one guy repeated the song "Proud to be an American" when someone tipped him $20. Other than that they will sing just about anything. We heard show tunes, rock and roll, country and pop. We even heard a few Christmas carols. One of the waitresses did "All I Want for Christmas" and was phenomenal.

We had such a good time singing along and laughing that we didn't realize how late it had got. I finally hit the wall at about 1:30 am. I think they were open until 2am, as I heard them mentioning last call.

One thing though was that they don't have any food. I would have liked a few appetizers or something after I had a few drinks. They do have a popcorn maker, so you can go get a basket of popcorn to munch on.

It was niced to have a fun adult evening out.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
If U Had Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #153
Tinkerbellarella
I was all like, "Um, well...that's different

Hey pretty lady, just wanted you to know I'm subscribed, caught up, and SO on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
I am probably the least athletic person you will ever meet.
Are you my other long lost sister?

Quote:
I'd participate in the select few activities I could do without embarassing myself (swimming and floor hockey)
My gym classes consisted of: badminton, archery, swimming, volleyball, and tennis, with weight training occasionally sprinkled in. NO team sports, though (other than the volleyball, which I was decent at).

Quote:
Maybe it's the point in my life that I'm at. I feel like I've failed at so many things. At age 39 I'm nowhere were I thought I'd be in my life. I feel like I'm passing through life, failing at most things, and skimming by on the rest. I never thought I'd end up alone, in a brainless job, living paycheck to paycheck, finding nothing that really fullfills me.

I want to cross a finish line. I want to have that moment when I actually succeed and do what I set out to do. I don't think I ever really realized how much I need to feel that. I have no delusions of winning. I don't even care if I'm dead last. (Honestly I expect to be dead last). I just want to cross that finish line. For me, because I always told myself I couldn't do it.
Sweetie, this SO made me tear up. I'm happy for you. And proud of you. And we've never even "met". You have my best wishes and all my luck and I KNOW you'll cross that finish line.

Also, that book is now on my Paperbackswap wishlist.

Tinkerbellarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #154
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great

Crissy!! THis is sooooooooo what I was hoping for in a review!! Thanks, ever so much. Now I MUST go there and have a long evening; and I will definitely think of some tunes before hand! Are the drinks resonable prices?? Like 8-10 for a cocktail??

Old 04-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #155
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellarella View Post
Hey pretty lady, just wanted you to know I'm subscribed, caught up, and SO on board.
Welcome back!

Quote:
Are you my other long lost sister?
Must be! Truthfully I am just wicked. I have no athletic skills at all. It's not pretty.

Quote:
My gym classes consisted of: badminton, archery, swimming, volleyball, and tennis, with weight training occasionally sprinkled in. NO team sports, though (other than the volleyball, which I was decent at).
I like some of those things better. Ours were all co-ed team activities. I use to dread it, especially when they'd make us play things like flag football and they'd have rules where a girl had to be involved in every play for it to count. Ugh! I think now they don't have co-ed gym classes in the high schools around here anymore.

Quote:
Sweetie, this SO made me tear up. I'm happy for you. And proud of you. And we've never even "met". You have my best wishes and all my luck and I KNOW you'll cross that finish line.

Also, that book is now on my Paperbackswap wishlist.
His books are so wonderful and motivating. I just need to be able to do this for me. It's one of the first things I've every really felt that way about.

Quote:
Crissy!! THis is sooooooooo what I was hoping for in a review!! Thanks, ever so much. Now I MUST go there and have a long evening; and I will definitely think of some tunes before hand! Are the drinks resonable prices?? Like 8-10 for a cocktail??
We loved it there. We were staying at the Boardwalk when we went, but I believe that at the end of the night if you go to the Boardwalk resort's bus stop the buses will take you back to the other resorts.

I was drinking Blue Moon beer while I was there, but I think the cocktail prices were just about the same as they are at the restaurants on property. I was definitely well entertained for that $10. Both pairs of men were great.

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #156
Tinkerbellarella
I was all like, "Um, well...that's different

Quote:
Must be! Truthfully I am just wicked. I have no athletic skills at all. It's not pretty.
I have to tell you that you're totally inspiring. A friend (the girl I co-write my blog with) is starting the couch to 5K this week and I'm starting next week (I need a week to warm up) and we're doing our first 5k June 12th. Then...

we're training for the January 2011 Disney 1/2 Marathon!!!!!!

I'll be starting a PTR soon and will include all the details but we'll likely run it together, but, worse case scenario we'll do it as a relay.

I may be coming to you for advice...

Quote:
His books are so wonderful and motivating. I just need to be able to do this for me. It's one of the first things I've every really felt that way about.
I'll be picking this up soon.

Tinkerbellarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #157
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have to tell you that you're totally inspiring. A friend (the girl I co-write my blog with) is starting the couch to 5K this week and I'm starting next week (I need a week to warm up) and we're doing our first 5k June 12th. Then...

we're training for the January 2011 Disney 1/2 Marathon!!!!!!

I'll be starting a PTR soon and will include all the details but we'll likely run it together, but, worse case scenario we'll do it as a relay.

I may be coming to you for advice...
So excited for you! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #158
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

A Rude Awakening and Some Revisions

Training for the Wine and Dine Marathon has been going badly for me. Badly, as in practically non-existent. Since the beginning of the year I've been stopped by pains in my right foot, and several bouts of bronchitis, one of which I'm hopefully wrapping up now. I don't know which is has been worse - the pains in the ball of my right foot that made it practically impossible to roll through the ball of my foot with, the swelling that was occuring or the bronchitis that was causing me to cough continually.

Right now I'm feeling pretty good. The foot seems to be back to normal, and I haven't caused strangers on the train to start handing me cough drops in a few days.

I need to get back to training. I haven't been doing anything. I had started back up when my foot was feeling better, only to have the bronchits hit again. I went to Zumba again this week, and didn't have any flair ups of either problem afterwards so I'm hoping to start running again tomorrow. I'm getting worried that I’m not going to be able to be ready for the 10K in June with all the problems. I'm not panicking about the 1/2 yet, but the thought is always there in the back of my mind.

As I've been laid up with sickness and injuries, my weight has been creeping back up. I don't think I realized how much until I was getting ready to go to Disney last month and a couple pairs of shorts that I had worn in December were a bit too tight to wear. I was a bit horrified. I knew that I had been snacking too much, and was feeling icky about it, but it was a slap in the face and a rude wake up call. If the too tight shorts weren't a big enough wake up call a photo taken of me and my nieces about two weeks ago cemented it.

Words cannot express quite how horrified I am looking at this. I need to get my act together and get rid of this weight.

A few years ago, I had modified my eating habits and lost nearly 50 lbs. Again, it was a picture that horrified me enough to do something. It was this one -

And the after -

I want to get back to the after. I want to wear those pants again this fall. So there's my second little goal. Finish the 1/2 marathon before I turn 40, and be able to wear those pants for my 40th birthday. I hate myself for putting the weight back on, but I need to accept that it happened and move on. I need to reestablish the good patterns again. The last time I lost the weight without any exercise, so the training for the 1/2 should do nothing but help the efforts. I want to be able to completely shake myself of the bad habits I keep falling back on.

Anyways, enough of that. I've been doing some minor plan tweaking. We'll call it version 2.0 of my trip. I'm still thinking of changing one thing, as well.

Saturday 10/2 - Race Day
8:05 am Breakfast at Grand Floridian Café
I had previously made an ADR for the Captains Grill, but started thinking that an ADR closer to the Magic Kingdom would be a better idea since that's where we are spending the morning. I was originally going to try for Kona at the Poly, but started thinking that tonga toast might not be the best thing to eat on race day. Heidi had posted some great pictures of her meal at the GF Café, so I decided to give it a try.

Sunday 10/3 - MNSSHP
5:35 pm Dinner at Crystal Palace
This is the one I'm thinking of changing yet again. I originally had a 4:25 pm ADR, but changed it once I started thinking of how we'd be coming in costume. Usually I haven't entered the parks on party days until right near the official start time. Has anyone who's been to the Halloween party know how they look at you entering in costume at the unofficial 4 pm entry time? I'm thinking of just cancelling an ADR altogether and just eating at a counter service place.

Monday 10/4
1:55 pm lunch at Le Cellier
ADR was originally for 3:25 pm. I changed it because I wanted to be sure we were still getting the lunch menu, and because I wanted to be sure that we'd have some kind of appetite later for the Food & Wine Festival.

That's been it on the changes so far, although I'm toying with making a breakfast ADR for our last morning before we head over to Universal. That really depends on how we end up going from Disney to Universal.

Coming soon - some possible costume changes

Old 04-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #159
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

I went to CP at the unofficial entry time one year in costume. People start filtering in at 4 or 5 in costume, so don't sweat it. I wish I was there early enough to go with you!
I'm glad you're feeling better & that your foot is starting to feel better, too. Do you train on a treadmill or outdoors?
When is your 40th?
I have one of those pictures of myself, but I don't want to post it! I'm too chicken.
aprilisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #160
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

By the way- you look great just the way you are now! Neither of those photos of you are bad!!!
aprilisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #161
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilisis View Post
I went to CP at the unofficial entry time one year in costume. People start filtering in at 4 or 5 in costume, so don't sweat it. I wish I was there early enough to go with you!
I'm glad you're feeling better & that your foot is starting to feel better, too. Do you train on a treadmill or outdoors?
When is your 40th?
I have one of those pictures of myself, but I don't want to post it! I'm too chicken.
That's good to know. Thanks. I think pics with the characters, while in costume will be pretty neat.

I do all my running outside. I suffer from a bit of treadmill phobia. I don't know if there's a name for that or not. About a year ago I fell off a treadmill twice in the matter of a few minutes. I didn't injure myself badly, but since then I can't get past walking at a brisk pace on it. I keep trying to get over the fear, but it's definitely a block for me now.

You should do the picture. For me it helps give me some accountability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilisis View Post
By the way- you look great just the way you are now! Neither of those photos of you are bad!!!
Thank you. When I gain weight it always hits my face. I hate it. At least once I start losing, it comes off of there first.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #162
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

I was on Main Street at about 4-5pm once on an MNSSHP night and lots of people come in dressed up then...no worries...everyone knows it's for the party.

I don't think you can go wrong with a hearty American breakfast at the GF Cafe....I hope to make it back there next trip.

MRYPPNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #163
cdotla
Trish

OMG - how did I miss this report??? I have only read your 1st post, but I can't wait to get caught up.
cdotla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #164
All7OfUs

Hi Crissy!!

I think you've set some good and reasonable goals!! Don't be too hard on yourself- you're letting it affect your heart rather deeply. You know you can lose the weight, you've done it before. Slow and steady wins the race- one day at a time!

YOu've made a good move in changing to the GF! Closer to MK is better, and will give you more park time. I WAS planning to show up at 4:00 to the party; I don't think it'll be a problem whatsoever.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #165
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
I was on Main Street at about 4-5pm once on an MNSSHP night and lots of people come in dressed up then...no worries...everyone knows it's for the party.

I don't think you can go wrong with a hearty American breakfast at the GF Cafe....I hope to make it back there next trip.
I'm happy to know I won't stick out being dressed up that early. I want to be sure that we can enjoy the entire party this time. I don't want any repeats of my MVMCP fiasco.

I'm looking forward to the GF Cafe. I checked out the menu, and alot of things appealed to me. I think it will be a better choice for a race day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
OMG - how did I miss this report??? I have only read your 1st post, but I can't wait to get caught up.
Welcome! It promises to be an interesting trip.

Quote:
Hi Crissy!!

I think you've set some good and reasonable goals!! Don't be too hard on yourself- you're letting it affect your heart rather deeply. You know you can lose the weight, you've done it before. Slow and steady wins the race- one day at a time!
Thanks. My weight has always been a big issue for me. My biggest issue is that I'm an emotional eater, which ends up being a vicious cycle for me. The more things in my life get off kilter, the more I eat, the more depressed I get, the more I eat, etc. Breaking the cycle is the toughest part.

Quote:
YOu've made a good move in changing to the GF! Closer to MK is better, and will give you more park time. I WAS planning to show up at 4:00 to the party; I don't think it'll be a problem whatsoever.
I was worrying that we'd miss rope drop having breakfast at the Captains Grill. I'll feel more comfortable being closer to the MK. I want our morning to be relaxing for later that night. No stress!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: