DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #151
kdzgon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
...This is hard to read but the note said there was a special surprise if you looked at all the petals. They had a Mickey bauble tied around one of the stems.
Up next: The fun continues

So, usually as I read your TRs I have occasional tears, albeit from laughter. This time, a silly little detail brought up unexpected memories. We lost our DD (technically my step-) last year after a short but brutal battle with cancer. We were actually in WDW for a New Year's trip, and DD sent us a floral arrangement which also included one of those trinkets. It was on that same trip that we received a call from her, telling us the her diagnosis was Stage IV melanoma. Just three months earlier we had been on a Grand Gathering of 34, including DD, who at the time was presumably the picture of health.

I still have that silly little trinket, as well as the Mickey basket from the arrangement.

As I read of the loss of DD's mom, my first thought was how lucky you all were to have managed that NY's trip not so very long ago. (Of course it cannot begin to make up for DD's loss of her mom, but what a precious gift those memories are/will be.) With the mention of the "gem" you reminded me that we, too have a similar precious gift of memories to help during those inevitable difficult times.

Sorry to derail your thread for a moment, but I wanted to share and thank you for you for both your wonderful TRs and the memory jog from this one in particular.

It sounds like you and your daughter have a wonderful relationship, teenage status and all. Thank you for allowing all these strangers (myself included) to peek inside your joint world now and again!
Old 01-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #152
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Soon Jiminy was telling us that Illuminations would begin in five minutes. What a show. Here are some pics but they do not represent how great it was.

Wow, what wonderful memories. Sighing.

Those pictures. I almost felt like I was there. Nice. It must have been something! The pictures are stunning and you said they don't give the full effect - so I must do this one day.

Q: I'm noticing that 1 and 2? (so funny to use these numbers and I'm probably mixing them up. I mean DD's best friend and one of the blondes) are habitually around your daughter. Did the weekend play out like that? Like a sweet pecking order? I don't why the he!! I'm so interested in such things. My God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzgon View Post
So, usually as I read your TRs I have occasional tears, albeit from laughter. This time, a silly little detail brought up unexpected memories. We lost our DD (technically my step-) last year after a short but brutal battle with cancer. We were actually in WDW for a New Year's trip, and DD sent us a floral arrangement which also included one of those trinkets. It was on that same trip that we received a call from her, telling us the her diagnosis was Stage IV melanoma. Just three months earlier we had been on a Grand Gathering of 34, including DD, who at the time was presumably the picture of health.

I still have that silly little trinket, as well as the Mickey basket from the arrangement.

As I read of the loss of DD's mom, my first thought was how lucky you all were to have managed that NY's trip not so very long ago. (Of course it cannot begin to make up for DD's loss of her mom, but what a precious gift those memories are/will be.) With the mention of the "gem" you reminded me that we, too have a similar precious gift of memories to help during those inevitable difficult times.

Sorry to derail your thread for a moment, but I wanted to share and thank you for you for both your wonderful TRs and the memory jog from this one in particular.

It sounds like you and your daughter have a wonderful relationship, teenage status and all. Thank you for allowing all these strangers (myself included) to peek inside your joint world now and again!
. Sighing.

Your post is so true. We just never know. I'm so sorry.
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #153
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritter View Post
I am soo sorry for your loss!!
Thank you. To let you know, we are doing OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy321 View Post
I just want to thank you and your dd for sharing such an awesome experience with me (and all the other lurkers, posters, internet... ) I so appreciate your sense of humor - and honor...

Life is short - memories, priceless. Thank you.
Thank you. You are right, life is short and memories are priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Some of the smoke from the fireworks seems to have traveled up to Tacoma as I read that last bit. (Honestly.)
Disney has some powerful smoke. Thank you, that was nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenLo View Post
Your trip report will give your DD some memories of fun and good times that could easily be forgotten in this time of sadness.

Thanks for sharing with all of us.
I enjoy reliving them. For myself and as a keepsake for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciciwoowoo View Post
You're a great dad!!!
No, just doing what most dads would do (unfortunately not all). Congratulations on the soon to be upcoming arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
The oddest thing just happened - some smoke from the fireworks just came into my office. Right as I was reading about the screaming meanies, and the conversation with DD about them.
What is with all this smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy442 View Post
My sons would love that cruise. Did you stay around the gate area of Epcot?
Thanks for the update
We started at Y/B Marina. The itinerary is that you go from there to Hollywood Studios and tool around the lake for while. You park under the large bridge that I think is around France amd yes near the gate. The globe ends up right in front of you and you can see the highest fireworks. Nice viewing area but maybe not the most perfect. The best thing is there are no crowds around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljam View Post
Geesh, that firework smoke, got me on the last bit too (honestly!)

The cake looks yummy! Was it absolutely delicious? Thanks again for your TRs. I may write one some day, although it may not be as entertaining. I did start doing something for my youngest son after our first trip in a hand written journal sort of like the music and picture journal in Elizabethtown. I want to have that for him as he grows up.
Sorry again about the smoke. I am not a chocolate fan so just took a couple of bites. It was real tasty. The kids loved it. Love the idea of a journal. Much more personalized than typing on a computer. A couple of years when DD stayed with me over the summer when I was living in NY, I made her write a journal. Some interesting stuff in it.

Kdzgon My deepest sympathy. I am sending a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Wow, what wonderful memories. Sighing.

Those pictures. I almost felt like I was there. Nice. It must have been something! The pictures are stunning and you said they don't give the full effect - so I must do this one day.

Q: I'm noticing that 1 and 2? (so funny to use these numbers and I'm probably mixing them up. I mean DD's best friend and one of the blondes) are habitually around your daughter. Did the weekend play out like that? Like a sweet pecking order? I don't why the he!! I'm so interested in such things. My God.
The cruise was expensive but cool. Very nice for group celebrations.

The numbers were kind of random. 1 was 1 because she and DD hang out a lot including our trips to Disney. 2 has moved up in the pecking order since soccer camp and probably stayed at the house a night or two before writing the pre trip. The rest except six were randomly drawn as I remembered who was going. 6 was the late addition.

Before the trip, I was worried about group dynamics. DD and I had a conversation last night when I asked if mini herds formed and she answered not really. It was kind of natural that 1 & 2 joined DD in the second bedroom. The second bed in the room was used as a repository for clothes and things so the three of them crammed into one bed. Why, who knows? Interesting that 6 was sitting next to her on the cruise. The bird cage picture was staged and they decided who sat next to each other.
cj9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #154
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

This is a short update and it will be a few days for the report to start up again with our day at the park.

We got off the boat and they were on a junk food and cake high. We were walking down the Boardwalk to the room and we ran into “this guy.”

He is my favorite of the entertainers at the Boardwalk. I think he has been there since day one. Really funny guy and show. He uses his bike (seen in the background) to get around and gin up business. Unfortunately someone was dumb enough to answer his phone while the show was going on. He grabbed it, had a brief conversation with the other person and said he was in the middle of a show so don’t call back. Here is that pic.

DD and 4 enjoying the show.

Another pic with half of her balloons from the boat ride.

We get back to the room and DD and 2 took over the kitchen. Pizzas were in and the other kids were wandering around. I prepared a cocktail and was on the couch watching MY HUGE HDTV. They decided to take the helium out of one set of the balloons and talk in funny voices.

While the pizzas were cooking, some of the kids who noticed that I have internet and asked if they could use it because they needed to do research for their homework. I of course said sure but in the back of my mind I am thinking you are at Disney World and you are doing homework? There are actual pictures of these kids at WDW doing homework. I will post them if I can find them. Take that other nations that think American youth are academically challenged. I will put these kids up against anyone. Just don’t ask them to get ice.

Once the pizzas were devoured, some more studying was done, some goofing around. They started playing music and it got to be too much for me and I asked them to turn it down. Had a mini fight over that. Mostly because it was getting late. They also left a mess in the kitchen and on the table which hacked me off. DD, 2 and one other that I do not remember cleaned up (I had to go back afterward to clean up their clean up). DD and 2 stayed down and they were hacked off that most of the kids thought it was OK just to leave their plate where it was.

DD and 2 stayed behind to chat with me for a bit while I was on the couch and they let me in on the dirt with the group dynamics. Things were actually going OK, some minor funny things going on. Can’t reveal the dirt, I pinky swore. They went up to bed and after a few yells to be quiet, they settled down for the night. I enjoyed MY Jacuzzi and then MY king sized bed.

Up next: The Parks day. AKA Are they going to make it to the bus or am I going to enjoy Animal Kingdom alone? Sorry the TR has drawn out longer than I intended.

Last edited by cj9200; 02-10-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #155
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

never you mind ! We're not asking for fast just - eventually You're doing a great job!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #156
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

All good things will come to those who wait. I'm waiting
Great TR

Goofy442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #157
Ellester
DIS Veteran

First of all, I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. It's wonderful that your dd has such a great daddy to get her through this time. She is a blessed young lady.

I am so enjoying your report! The dynamics of the "herd" take me back to my (much) younger days. There is just no explaining the actions of teen girls sometimes! And your comment about rooting for Tech over UNC endeared you to me. (GO JACKETS!) I grew up in Broward and agree that I would NEVER have entered the pool after October! My kids do not have that bias, not having ever lived in FL. They happily swim at my dad's house in Lake Worth any time we are down there.

Looking forward to more (but certainly no pressure!).
Ellester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #158
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:
Just dont ask them to get ice.
That is just TOO funny!!

Quote:
Sorry the TR has drawn out longer than I intended.
You are traveling at the speed of light compared to mine! HAHA! Nice update! I can only imagine what else that guy was saying on the cell phone.....
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Emma's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #159
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
They decided to take the helium out of one set of the balloons and talk in funny voices.

So funny. Ah to be young and find your fun around every corner.

Well I guess that cocktail came in handy. Good timing.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #160
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

I'm so sorry about your DD's mom, I'm glad she's at peace.

Quote:
... Is that a Donald medal around your neck for running the half this year? Way to go. Even if the hamstring didnt get me and we went, running in sleet sure would have. A well deserved Congrats!
Yes it is, thanks. It was quite the experience running in the snow/sleet/freezing rain in WDW!

Still loving your hilarious report!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #161
DenLo
DIS Veteran

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #162
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Since I know you just ADORE the icons. You know the ones you wish you had the guts to use.

and and to you both.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #163
cj9200
DIS Dad #412

OK, where were we? I was tucked into MY King size bed sleeping all the while twitching uncontrollably with visions of the next day when they were let loose on the park. The worst was when I dreamed that Disney security burst into MY Grand Villa and demanded my DVC member card and park tickets and unceremoniously shredded them. I am banished from Disney?

Before everyone went to bed a couple of rules were reviewed. They were not to go anywhere alone and had to have at least one other person with them if they left the pack. There were regular updates to me when we separated, and if they were not on time for the bus they would have to wait until the Hollywood Studios reservation to enter a park. You see kiddos, I have your tickets. If you are not with me, then you cant enter the parks.

The last one was in addition to an ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT suggestion from DMKEDM. When she took a mob to WDW, she told the kids that if they were late to any checkpoint, they would be strapped to her by a child leash until the next checkpoint time. I adopted the idea and dubbed it the Leash of Shame.

The Leash of Shame. Actually one of the dogs leashes.

Will it be invoked?

Just getting back into the swing of things and will leave you with a picture I found of two of the girls actually studying. What gives with this generation? Studying at Disney?

Studying started right after helium and the funny voice talking.

A lot of them paired up to help each other with homework.

More tomorrow or Thursday. I promise.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #164
DMKEDM
DIS Veteran

So glad to see you back...how's your DD doing? I lost my mom when I was 47 and it still hurts, down deep, 11 years later (did I just tell everyone how old I am?...oh, well, I am that old, so who cares?)...I don't mean to minimize your own loss, but I ache for that DD of yours...give her an extra hug from her cyber-friends, ok?

And you just made my day showing the pic of the "leash of shame"...sure hope it never got used! I never thought of a dog leash (but then I didn't have a dog back then)...I used one of those baby leashes...I'm pretty sure they're buy-able on site at Disney, too, in case anyone ever needs one "last minute!"

Tell us more; we so need the "distraction!"...we're buried under 27 inches of snow here in the Wash, DC area (and "snowmageddon" cratered my scheduled 2/7-2/12 trip to BLT, too)...with another 12 now falling on our poor unprotected little heads (well, we are protected--for the moment, anyway, I have a warm and dry house (knock wood; they're predicting widespread loss of power and roof cave-in's from the weight of all this snow), some power (a power surge "killed" several outlets/circuits in my house; but some still work); internet access, cable tv, and food...so what if I can't drive? (my street is completely impassable)--

So...MORE MORE MORE! Pretty please with sugar on top? Maybe as a reward for the leash of shame?
DMKEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #165
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one

I love that they did homework on vacation - and they say the next generation doesn't care about education. Of course it is too funny that you did remind us that ice was a challenge; I guess we all have strengths and weaknesses.

I cannot wait to see who had to wear the leash of shame and who didn't get to use their park ticket that you were so responsibly holding onto. . . Just when you get the chance. I need something to read to get me through this week.
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: