Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #121
twinmom
Mouseketeer

It is very easy to sign up for Veteran of the day. You have to be there early. Right when the park opened I went to Guest Services and asked. No one else had signed up so I was in. You come back around 4:30 or so. They explain what you will be doing. Basically you stand there while they lower the flag. First they announce who you are and what service you were with. They hand the flag to you and you follow the band up Main Street. The whole time a photopass guy is taking pictures. You go off a side alley and they take more pictures. You get a certificate saying you were the Veteran of the Day. You also get a pin and a free photopass picture of your choosing. I went right over and got it. It didn't take very long.

It was a wonderful experience. I just wish I hadn't done it on a solo trip.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #122
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Hugs for a very rough day at DHS! I will not be sad though, because I KNOW you said the best was at the end of the trip ...so I am waiting for more story and hoping for some Dinsey magic on finding that backpack and camera.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #123
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
It is very easy to sign up for Veteran of the day. You have to be there early. Right when the park opened I went to Guest Services and asked. No one else had signed up so I was in. You come back around 4:30 or so. They explain what you will be doing. Basically you stand there while they lower the flag. First they announce who you are and what service you were with. They hand the flag to you and you follow the band up Main Street. The whole time a photopass guy is taking pictures. You go off a side alley and they take more pictures. You get a certificate saying you were the Veteran of the Day. You also get a pin and a free photopass picture of your choosing. I went right over and got it. It didn't take very long.

It was a wonderful experience. I just wish I hadn't done it on a solo trip.
Sounds like a great experience and one I would love to have John do. I'll have to look into it for him. Thanks for telling me about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Hugs for a very rough day at DHS! I will not be sad though, because I KNOW you said the best was at the end of the trip ...so I am waiting for more story and hoping for some Dinsey magic on finding that backpack and camera.
Thanks for the hugs. It was kinda rough but we still had fun that day. I'm hoping to get to the next day tonight or tomorrow especially because it has one of my favorite stories of the trip.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #124
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Tessa's Pics of Osbourne Lights

So here are the pics Tess took that nightat Osbourne Lights while everyone else was trying to deal with the lost camera situation. I diden't know she had taken any until we got home

Old 01-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #125
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Hollywood Studios

DH :Favorite: Fantasmic! Least Favorite:Hollywood and Vine

Me :Favorite: AI with the girls! Least Favorite: Watching Fantasmic in the cold and rain
Tessa :Favorite: Fantasmic with AI as a close second! Least Favorite: Hollywood and Vine and Star Tours
Jenna :Favorite: AI and Star Tours Least Favorite: Hollywood and Vine
Jonnie :Favorite: Probably Fantasmic: Missing most of Jedi Training!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:44 AM   #126
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrosek View Post
So here are the pics Tess took that nightat Osbourne Lights while everyone else was trying to deal with the lost camera situation. I diden't know she had taken any until we got home

Quote:
Hollywood Studios

DH :Favorite: Fantasmic! Least Favorite:Hollywood and Vine

Me :Favorite: AI with the girls! Least Favorite: Watching Fantasmic in the cold and rain
Tessa :Favorite: Fantasmic with AI as a close second! Least Favorite: Hollywood and Vine and Star Tours
Jenna :Favorite: AI and Star Tours Least Favorite: Hollywood and Vine
Jonnie :Favorite: Probably Fantasmic: Missing most of Jedi Training!
The photos are GORGEOUS! It makes me definitely want to go to Disney at Christmas...ahhhh, maybe one day! I didn't win the lottery tonight so I will have to wait another week to see if we can just drop everything and go...even without Christmas lights!!

Isn't it funny how something you love can be someone else's least favorite memory/activity and vice versa...happens in our family as well. Keep the report coming, I am loving it and so excited to read more of the magic!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #127
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The photos are GORGEOUS! It makes me definitely want to go to Disney at Christmas...ahhhh, maybe one day! I didn't win the lottery tonight so I will have to wait another week to see if we can just drop everything and go...even without Christmas lights!!

Isn't it funny how something you love can be someone else's least favorite memory/activity and vice versa...happens in our family as well. Keep the report coming, I am loving it and so excited to read more of the magic!
I really loved going over the holidays. It was a Thanksgiving we will never forget and all the Christmas decorations made WDW even more magical. I'm afraid I might be the tiniest bit disapointed if I went at any other time. We've been talking about what we would do if we won the lottery for the last couple years, of course we just started buying a ticket this month

We had several times this trip where one person loved something and someone else diden't, just the hazard of traveling with multiple people I guess. To be fair though, the reasons I disliked Fantasmic were the cold, Jonnies mood and the woman seated behind me. They had nothing to do with the show itself. I really think I would have liked it given better circumstances.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #128
blessedmom4

Quote:
We had several times this trip where one person loved something and someone else diden't, just the hazard of traveling with multiple people I guess. To be fair though, the reasons I disliked Fantasmic were the cold, Jonnies mood and the woman seated behind me. They had nothing to do with the show itself. I really think I would have liked it given better circumstances.
That just goes to show what an awesome Mom you are! Even though YOU weren't having your best time, you didn't let it ruin the good time for everyone!

I had to laugh about the lottery quote...we also always say WHEN we win...and never play! Although, DH did buy one at the store last night when he got gas because he heard me say it was $118 million...yes, I could go to Disney and have LOTS of with that amount

I need to write about Lisa's MAW co-ordinator and my conversation, but I have to finish some laundry first...wish me luck that I get this computer to work in a little while!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #129
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That just goes to show what an awesome Mom you are! Even though YOU weren't having your best time, you didn't let it ruin the good time for everyone!

I had to laugh about the lottery quote...we also always say WHEN we win...and never play! Although, DH did buy one at the store last night when he got gas because he heard me say it was $118 million...yes, I could go to Disney and have LOTS of with that amount

I need to write about Lisa's MAW co-ordinator and my conversation, but I have to finish some laundry first...wish me luck that I get this computer to work in a little while!
Awwwww, thanks! We moms will endure almost anything to make our kiddos happy.
I heard a little story the other day that made me laugh. A man prays the same prayer every night. "Lord," he says "please, please let me win the lottery. If you do all my problems will be solved" This goes on for years, every night. Then one day a booming voice answers "My son, please,please buy a ticket!"
Definatley wishing you luck on the computer situation I can't wait to read an update (okay so I have slightley selfish reasons )

Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #130
blessedmom4

Quote:
Awwwww, thanks! We moms will endure almost anything to make our kiddos happy.
I heard a little story the other day that made me laugh. A man prays the same prayer every night. "Lord," he says "please, please let me win the lottery. If you do all my problems will be solved" This goes on for years, every night. Then one day a booming voice answers "My son, please,please buy a ticket!"
Definatley wishing you luck on the computer situation I can't wait to read an update (okay so I have slightley selfish reasons )
I agree, Good Mom's are such a BLESSING!

I loved the joke, that was good! I always say "When I win the lottery"...then I say, "of course I have to buy a ticket first, don't I"....

I did manage to get the computer to cooperate some...it drives me wild when it will not work.

Praying your week gets off to an awesome start!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #131
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree, Good Mom's are such a BLESSING!

I loved the joke, that was good! I always say "When I win the lottery"...then I say, "of course I have to buy a ticket first, don't I"....

I did manage to get the computer to cooperate some...it drives me wild when it will not work.

Praying your week gets off to an awesome start!
You know reading your TR the type of mom you are toatlly shines through and just amazes me but I know what you mean about feeling blessed to have them as you children. I can't imagine life without my kids.

So glad the computer decided to cooperate at least for awhile. Hope it keeps working. On the computer front here I'm hoping to get around to an update today but all these snow days with Jonnie at home (he goes to public school right now) have messed with the girls (I'm homeschooling both girls now, not just Jenna) school schedule and they really need the computer to catch up some today. Speaking of homeschool I've been meaning to message you sometime about homeschooling, specifically your experiences homeschooling David. I homeschooled Jonnie for his first two years of school and would love to be a complete homeschool family but as Jonnies LD's have become more and more pronounced I am feeling a little overwhelmed and underprepared to take on the responsibility of teaching him full time.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #132
blessedmom4

Quote:
You know reading your TR the type of mom you are toatlly shines through and just amazes me but I know what you mean about feeling blessed to have them as you children. I can't imagine life without my kids.

So glad the computer decided to cooperate at least for awhile. Hope it keeps working. On the computer front here I'm hoping to get around to an update today but all these snow days with Jonnie at home (he goes to public school right now) have messed with the girls (I'm homeschooling both girls now, not just Jenna) school schedule and they really need the computer to catch up some today. Speaking of homeschool I've been meaning to message you sometime about homeschooling, specifically your experiences homeschooling David. I homeschooled Jonnie for his first two years of school and would love to be a complete homeschool family but as Jonnies LD's have become more and more pronounced I am feeling a little overwhelmed and underprepared to take on the responsibility of teaching him full time.
That is very kind of you, Thank you!

I spent THREE hours working on the computer yesterday trying to get it fixed and it STILL isn't although if I shut everything off and reboot THEN I can work for a few minutes before it freezes up again... I have to leave shortly; however, I am trying to get it to freeze up once more so the computer guy can see what it wrong...thank goodness it is a free call!

I SO understand about the LD's and teaching and the fear of not "doing" it right. The main reason I put Christian back in school in fifth grade was
because I didn't think I was qualifed to teach David...let me assure you, YOU will do a FAR better job than the school system, I PROMISE!
Pick my brain, I will help you all I can!

I can't wait to read more when you have time!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #133
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is very kind of you, Thank you!

I spent THREE hours working on the computer yesterday trying to get it fixed and it STILL isn't although if I shut everything off and reboot THEN I can work for a few minutes before it freezes up again... I have to leave shortly; however, I am trying to get it to freeze up once more so the computer guy can see what it wrong...thank goodness it is a free call!

I SO understand about the LD's and teaching and the fear of not "doing" it right. The main reason I put Christian back in school in fifth grade was
because I didn't think I was qualifed to teach David...let me assure you, YOU will do a FAR better job than the school system, I PROMISE!
Pick my brain, I will help you all I can!

I can't wait to read more when you have time!!!
Ugh, I can imagine how frustrating that would be. I hope the computer tech can figure it out and fix it for you.
There are definatley alot of fears involved with teaching Jonnie. This year he is doing well at the public school but I don't see that as the best place for him in the long run and if we ever even start to have another year like last year we are through. Don't worry I will definatley pick your brain as soon as I can. I diden't get an update up today because Jonnie missed the bus this morning and on the way out to the car to drive him my ankle collapsed underneath me and I fell down the stairs head first. My ankle, back and shoulder are all pretty messed up. I'm actually kinda grateful the stairs were covered in snow otherwise my face and head would have been pretty scraped up. Since you posted another picture of Bandit I thought I would post a few of Princess our long haired Chihuahua
She loves to be dressed up and pose for pictures. She actually ran up to back of the couch so she was even with the camera lense when I took this shot.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #134
blessedmom4

Quote:
Ugh, I can imagine how frustrating that would be. I hope the computer tech can figure it out and fix it for you.
There are definatley alot of fears involved with teaching Jonnie. This year he is doing well at the public school but I don't see that as the best place for him in the long run and if we ever even start to have another year like last year we are through. Don't worry I will definatley pick your brain as soon as I can. I diden't get an update up today because Jonnie missed the bus this morning and on the way out to the car to drive him my ankle collapsed underneath me and I fell down the stairs head first. My ankle, back and shoulder are all pretty messed up. I'm actually kinda grateful the stairs were covered in snow otherwise my face and head would have been pretty scraped up. Since you posted another picture of Bandit I thought I would post a few of Princess our long haired Chihuahua
She loves to be dressed up and pose for pictures. She actually ran up to back of the couch so she was even with the camera lense when I took this shot.

I am so happy you posted pictures of Priscilla...she is SO adorable and I love that she likes to dress up and pose. Bandit is the same way!

I am incredibly sorry you injured yourself, that is HORRIBLE! Please take it easy and stay off of it as much as possible! Which reminds me...have you called the Cardioligist....she asks innocently...

Keep Jonnie where he is if it is working...you will know when the time is right to move him. That is exactly what I did with David!
Old 01-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #135
blessedmom4

I was thinking about you and hoping you were able to get some rest last night. You might be more sore today than you were yesterday. Try to take it easy if you can (I know, impossible task for us Mom's). Please try to be good to yourself! Prayers being lifted for you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: