Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #106
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrosek View Post
....I really wanted to see Jonnie react to the songs and characters from Playhouse Disney. Now chronologically Jonnie might be a bit old for Playhouse Disney since he’ll be ten in the fall but cognitively and socially he’s always been a few years behind. Knowing that Jonnie is probably my last child it has occurred to me that one of the odd silver linings of his diagnosis’s is that I get to hold on to those little child moments, that otherwise pass so quickly for just a little longer....

Boy oh boy, can I ever relate to this!

My son will watch NCIS one minute and Blues Clues the next!

In fact, last November was the first time that Billy (then eleven) did not demand to see Playhouse Disney Live. Of course, he enjoyed the preschool shows' characters and dancing at H&V just as much as ever!

That silver lining is something that I've thought of often... so much of the sweetness and innocence of childhood is prolonged when your child is autistic. In many ways we are lucky... how many other mothers of 12 yr-old boys are greeted with wide arms, hugs, and kisses when their sons step off the bus after school??

Hope you didn't have too much longer to wait for dinner... that could make everyone a bit Grumpy!

Kathy
Old 05-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #107
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

That's great news about your trip; you'll have plenty of time to plan out everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrosek View Post
Knowing that Jonnie is probably my last child it has occurred to me that one of the odd silver linings of his diagnosis’s is that I get to hold on to those little child moments, that otherwise pass so quickly for just a little longer.
That's a really good way to think of it! Good for you to find the silver lining when it would be so easy to focus on the discouragement. My DD13 has anxiety and mood disorder which cause her to be emotionally much younger than her age. So many times I get frustrated, but I'm going to try and remember what you wrote above.

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #108
sunset30
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying your TR and looking forward to the next installment!
Lx
Old 05-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #109
lorac4disney
Mouseketeer

Subscribing!!

Sorry to hear you had rough spots, but it does happen. DD12 is autistic so I can so relate!

I'm also sorry to hear about your daughter's migraines. Growing up, I had horrible migraines with no explanation coupled with bouts of low blood sugar. They ran every test under the sun. Thought I might have even been having mild seizures. It wasn't until recently that I finally learned that I have pernicious anemia and can't absorb B12. It was the one thing they never tested me for. I've not had another migraine since starting B12 injections. While I can't say that this is happening with your daughter, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out.

Can't wait to read more of your TR!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #110
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Hi, just discovered your TR tonight and enjoying it. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #111
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Boy oh boy, can I ever relate to this!

My son will watch NCIS one minute and Blues Clues the next!

In fact, last November was the first time that Billy (then eleven) did not demand to see Playhouse Disney Live. Of course, he enjoyed the preschool shows' characters and dancing at H&V just as much as ever!

That silver lining is something that I've thought of often... so much of the sweetness and innocence of childhood is prolonged when your child is autistic. In many ways we are lucky... how many other mothers of 12 yr-old boys are greeted with wide arms, hugs, and kisses when their sons step off the bus after school??

Hope you didn't have too much longer to wait for dinner... that could make everyone a bit Grumpy!

Kathy
Kathy,
Jonnies just like that. One minute it's super heroes and Naruto the next it's Dragon Tales, Handy Manny and Bob the Builder. I was thinking about that precious innocence just the other day. A good freind of mine and I went to the school to spend lunch with our sons. Hers is in he same grade as Jonnie (which technically makes him younger as Jonnie is at least a year and a half older than your typical second grader.) Jonnie spent lunch time cuddling up next to me and diden't want me to leave. He gave me several hugs before finally going back to class. My freinds son on the other hand was a pretty typical eight year old boy, way to cool to hug his mom in front of his freinds.

And yes going without food too much longer did make us all grumpy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
That's great news about your trip; you'll have plenty of time to plan out everything!

That's a really good way to think of it! Good for you to find the silver lining when it would be so easy to focus on the discouragement. My DD13 has anxiety and mood disorder which cause her to be emotionally much younger than her age. So many times I get frustrated, but I'm going to try and remember what you wrote above.
The problem is I've already been planning way to much.

I know just what you mean about getting frustrated . I feel that same way sometimes. I think it's perfectly normal. I have to look at things from the perspective of "where's the silver lining is this gray cloud" or I'd go crazy. I do the same thing with DH's issues. I just keep reminding myself that the difficultys are worth it. I am very lucky to have him here, to be able to spend so much more time with him than your average couple gets and to be in the unique situation to provide my children with basically two stay at home parents (although my girls would probably argue that the last one isen't such a great thing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac4disney View Post

Subscribing!!

Sorry to hear you had rough spots, but it does happen. DD12 is autistic so I can so relate!

I'm also sorry to hear about your daughter's migraines. Growing up, I had horrible migraines with no explanation coupled with bouts of low blood sugar. They ran every test under the sun. Thought I might have even been having mild seizures. It wasn't until recently that I finally learned that I have pernicious anemia and can't absorb B12. It was the one thing they never tested me for. I've not had another migraine since starting B12 injections. While I can't say that this is happening with your daughter, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out.

Can't wait to read more of your TR!
Wow that does sound like Jenna. Both the migraines and the low blood sugar. I know it might not be our answer but I'll check and see if they've tested her for those things anyway. Anything that might get us closer to an answer is a good thing. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
Hi, just discovered your TR tonight and enjoying it. Thanks!
Glad your enjoying it. Thanks for stopping by.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #112
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

OT Update: My wow moment, almost in tears

Okay at the very beginning of this TR I told you that my youngest Jonnie is on the Autism spectrum as well as a few other things and I've mentioned it a few times here and there. I have always felt blessed that Jonnie is pretty responsive and cuddly but there are some things that Jonnie has never been okay with. He's okay with hugs, especially big squeezy bear hugs but he has always absolutley hated kisses of any type. When he started being verbal (about age 41/2-5) he told me he could "feel the germs" everywhere but his hair which means I always kiss him good night on top of the head and other than once or twice in his whole life he absolutley won't give daddy or I kisses on the cheek or anything. Well tonight I gave him a hug and a kiss on top of the head and said goodnight and without any warning my little boy kissed me on the forehead then he looked me in the eye and said "Yay". Wow he took that word right out of my mouth and as I sat there awestruck he opened his arms wide and said "mommy hug". I cannot describe how precious that moment was to me. I barley kept from crying then and I'm in tears now as I write this. I'm sorry for the OT post but I had to share and I knew my Dis "freinds" would care and that some of you would understand being spectrum mommies yourselves.
Thank you for being there. Thank you for reading and thank you for giving me a place to share my wonderful moment.

Last edited by kayrosek; 06-14-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #113
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

That made me cry, too! You must be over the moon!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 AM   #114
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Hello out there to anyone who might be reading. I started this TR a long time ago and due to numerous issues wasen't able to finish and it was moved to the completed trip report board. Recently I had a few requests that I finish it, which I had wanted to do anyway but was not sure how to do, and then I got a very helpful PM explaining that a mod could open it back up for me and so I am back . I am particurarly greatful for this because my title mentions how magical our trip was and alot of my favorite magical moments were later in our trip. I plan on jumping right into posting again real soon but for now, just for fun, since it's been so long, how about a few recent pics of our cast.

Me (Krystal) and my wonderful DH (John)

My girls Tessa(in the black sweater with white blouse underneath) and Jenna (in the white top with black around the shoulders)

Last but not least my little boy Jonnie (not so little anymore though)

Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #116
twinmom
Mouseketeer

Just found this today!! So glad you are back to finish. I want to know how AI gets your daughter in trouble.

Thanks to your husband for his service. I was in the Navy for 9 years. I cannot believe the woman at the bus stop. You are a better person than me.

Next time you go you should sign John up to be the Veteran of the Day. They do the Flag Lowering Ceremony. I did it last time I was there and it was a great experience.

Keep up the posting!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #117
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

YOU DID IT!!! Your BACK!!! After I answered you on our PTR I realized you MIGHT have gone ahead and started so I came over to check...WOO HOO!!! you did!!! I can't wait to read more and I am so happy you posted new photos!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #118
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

I love the new pics! Glad you found out how to open it again....
Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #119
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Welcome Back!! I'm glad you returned to finish up your report.
Thanks for dropping by. Wow your trip is getting close. I will have a new update up before you leave but I bet your busy getting ready to go. I know I would be crazy busy if I was preparing to leave my family for a few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
Just found this today!! So glad you are back to finish. I want to know how AI gets your daughter in trouble.
Thanks for reading. I'm really happy to be back and determined to finish this up.

Thanks to your husband for his service. I was in the Navy for 9 years. I cannot believe the woman at the bus stop. You are a better person than me.

Next time you go you should sign John up to be the Veteran of the Day. They do the Flag Lowering Ceremony. I did it last time I was there and it was a great experience.

Keep up the posting!!!!
And Thank You for your service. I was pretty steamed about the bus incident but I really held myself back, after all it's WDW. Had something similar happened at say Walmart all bets would have been off
I love the idea of signing John up for Veteran of thae day. How do you go about doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
YOU DID IT!!! Your BACK!!! After I answered you on our PTR I realized you MIGHT have gone ahead and started so I came over to check...WOO HOO!!! you did!!! I can't wait to read more and I am so happy you posted new photos!
I am SO excited to be back! Thank you for giving me the little push I needed to actually do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyanggirls View Post
I love the new pics! Glad you found out how to open it again....
Thanks for coming by. I'm really excited to finish it.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #120
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Finally an end to our DHS day

So we had just checked at Hollywood and Vine to see if they could squeeze us in a bit early but unfortunately they were packed all night (as was every other DHS restaurant.)The kids all started clamoring for different activities but my sweet DH insisted that this was my pick. He told the kids I had spent all day making sure they got to do the things they would enjoy and this was my turn. I couldn’t think of anything until he reminded me that I had been talking about “some light thing” for weeks. Awww , The Osbourne Festival of Lights. How could I have forgotten? So we set off in search of that fabulous display of Christmas cheer, stopping along the way for directions. I swear my mouth drop open as we came upon the display. I LOVE Christmas lights and this was the most magnificent display I had ever seeen I stood there for a moment just staring then I turned and asked Tessa for her camera. Apparently Tess was in one of “those” moods because she started complaining that I was borrowing her camera too much, that she was sick of getting it out for me and blah, blah, blah. Jonnie quickly offered me his new camera and this is when we ran into more problems. I asked where it was and DH told me I had Jonnies backpack with his camera in it. Uh…NO I didn’t! No one did. Ugh what was it about cameras this trip? Jonnie started getting upset immediately and I was trying to calm him down. It was a few minutes of mayhem. I could tell all the stress was getting to DH and this was confirmed when he looked at me and said “Okay we’ve seen the lights what now?” Uh… A couple minutes with my attention directed elsewhere and no pics (although I later found out that Tessa snapped a few for me which was sweet of her) wasn’t really what I was hoping for but I had to agree that it was time to move on, if for no other reason than to give Jonnie something else to think about. I took another moment to try to soak in the beauty of the lights and then let it go and headed off with my family to find a CM. I wanted to see if they had any suggestions on how to go about possibly finding Jonnies backpack. We spoke to a CM near the hat who suggested check Geust Services before heading out of the park or call lost and found at the TTC tomorrow. With that advice we were at a loss for what to do next. Our ADR wasn’t for another 40 min., Jenna was complaining about being hungry, Jonnie was upset over the loss of his backpack and John was tired and in pain. We had wandered over in front of where AI was and Tessa noticed that the Finale of AI was showing on a big screen out front. Since AI had been what she had wanted to do when we had gone to see the lights she started lobbying for watching the screens. I could tell John was ready for a break so this seemed like a good idea. Well it was…mostly but there were lots of people and Tessa wasn’t particularly thrilled with where John and I chose to stop and rest. She complained about not seeing well enough (I could see) but rather than argue we let her and her sister get a little closer but still within our sights. Jenna came back over asking how much longer until food and Tess took that moment to push her bounderies and move farther away. She wasn’t really missing as we saw her pretty quickly but it was sort of the straw that broke the camels back that night. By this time someone had won AI (not the guy Tessa wanted) and John was voting for skipping H and V. Well after a bit of drama and one misplaced husband (I was so overwhelmed I missed the fact that he was headed to the bathrooms) and me and the kids checking geust services (with no luck) for the camera it was FINALLY time for dinner. Now there are no characters at dinner, which was disappointing to Jonnie but also to Tessa who has this obsession with the little Einstein’s characters but we knew this before hand what we didn’t know was that this buffet would be rather lacking especially considering some of the other places we would try later. It was okay. The food was fine and we all got steadily less grumpy while we ate so it was a success in that way but I’m not sure we’d eat there again unless one of the kids wanted to and then it would be for the characters at lunch or breakfast. The two most memorable foods this night were some mussels that Jonnie loved and some really good key lime tarts. After dinner the park was closed and we headed back to the resort (the wait was rather long and it was cold) and gratefully fell into bed. Next up: a few Osbourne pics and a few favorites before Thanksgiving Day in The Magic Kingdom.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: