Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #91
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

Wow! That's great! I totally want to go back and have no idea if/when it will happen. Good job on getting a date to actually plan for!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #92
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on the new ticker!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #93
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyanggirls View Post
Wow! That's great! I totally want to go back and have no idea if/when it will happen. Good job on getting a date to actually plan for!
I know what you mean exactly. When I came home I was so depressed thinking we would never go back, but look at me now. Miracles do happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Congratulations on the new ticker!
Thank you so much I am so excited.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #94
michellem1118
DIS Veteran

Next time you go, you should consider renting a scooter (ECV) for John, rather than a wheelchair. They're not much more expensive, and it would give him some independence since it's motorized. My mom rented one on our Christmas trip since she was recovering from a knee replacement and can't walk for long periods of time, and it was great - she was able to do things without the rest of the group along... when she got tired, she could take herself back to the room, for example, or she could shop for souvenirs while we rode the thrill rides that she doesn't like. I think it was about $200 for the week, and it was definitely worth it.
Dec. 2000-Jan. 2001 ~ AS-Sports ... April 2007 ~ CSR (joined DVC) ... Oct. 2007 ~ SSR ... July-Aug. 2008 ~ OKW & DCL ~ HONEYMOON! ... March 2009 ~ SSR ... July 2009 ~ 1st anniversary @ AKV ... Christmas 2009 ~ Family Trip @ SSR ... March 2010 ~ BCV ... June 2010 ~ John's (late) birthday celebration @ VWL ... July-August 2010 ~ 2nd anniversary @ BLT/VWL ... Upcoming: June 9-16, 2011 ~ Club Level! at AKV & BWV

The Summer of Disney - June 2010 & July/August 2010 Trip Report
Bringin' the HAPPY Back! Spring Break 2010 Trip Report
Never Again! Our Holiday Family Trip
Old 05-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #95
mrsksomeday
My Prince uses a power wheelchair!

I know all too well about people like that lady at the bus. One woman was so obnoxious that I finally turned around, looked at her and said "he would gladly give you his Cerebral Palsy then you could get the "special treatment". He would love to be able to stand in line to wait, but he CAN'T." I glared at her and turned around. She hung her head and I didn't hear a peep out of her. Others that got on the bus after us started chit chatting with me, they knew how upset I was. Sometimes you have to embarrass people to get through to them and I will gladly do it again.

Congrats on your big news!! Isn't it great to have a ticker in your siggy line. I am really enjoying your report.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #96
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
I know all too well about people like that lady at the bus. One woman was so obnoxious that I finally turned around, looked at her and said "he would gladly give you his Cerebral Palsy then you could get the "special treatment". He would love to be able to stand in line to wait, but he CAN'T." I glared at her and turned around. She hung her head and I didn't hear a peep out of her. Others that got on the bus after us started chit chatting with me, they knew how upset I was. Sometimes you have to embarrass people to get through to them and I will gladly do it again.

Congrats on your big news!! Isn't it great to have a ticker in your siggy line. I am really enjoying your report.
Thanks for reading Mrs K. That really saddens me to think that you and Bill run into people like that. I love how you responded though. People can be so rude and thoughtless at times. We also get comments about John being on disability occaisionally. Someone will ask what he does and he'll explain that he's medically retired and disabled from the military and we've had resopnses like "What's it like living off the goverment?" or "Your so lucky not to have to work?" On that last one we walked away and John looked at me and said "He just doesn't get it I'd trade anything to be where he is today, waking up and going to work tomorrow." On a better note it is great having a ticker in my siggy. I wasen't sure I would ever see one of those. I'm really loving your PTR. Maybe if I ever get this TR finished I'll work up enough courage to start a PTR when we get a little closer.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #97
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellem1118 View Post
Next time you go, you should consider renting a scooter (ECV) for John, rather than a wheelchair. They're not much more expensive, and it would give him some independence since it's motorized. My mom rented one on our Christmas trip since she was recovering from a knee replacement and can't walk for long periods of time, and it was great - she was able to do things without the rest of the group along... when she got tired, she could take herself back to the room, for example, or she could shop for souvenirs while we rode the thrill rides that she doesn't like. I think it was about $200 for the week, and it was definitely worth it.
Oops. Diden't mean to skip over you. Thanks for stopping by. We are definatley getting him an ECV this time! Latley John's been telling me that with my Arthritis and Fibro I should get one too and the two of us could motor around on our little scooters together. I finally told him I'd consider it at the parks if I was having a bad day but I can't imagine using one for long. I had to use one at the hardware store one time and I was too impatient for the thing. I kept wanting to get up and walk away from it.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #98
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrosek View Post
Big News! I have a ticker.

Yay!!!

Kathy
Old 05-29-2010, 12:36 AM   #99
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

AI Dreams and Fantasmic Misery

So when we left off. I was stressed, and we’d just got rained out of JedI training. Jonnie was pretty disappointed and I knew just standing there wasn’t going to improve his mood so I suggested we walk towards the giant hat while we talked and hope that the scenery distracted Jonnie a bit. It worked, with a little help from his sisters Jonnie started excitedly pointing out things, especially the sorcerer Mickey hat. He had recently seen Fantasia at his grandmothers and would bring it up any time he saw anything Sorcerer Mickey themed. While Jonnie and the girls were occupied John and I decided that the best course of action was to split up. He would take Jonnie to see Playhouse Disney and I would take the girls to AI. I was a littled bummed about this because I really wanted to see Jonnie react to the songs and characters from Playhouse Disney. Now chronologically Jonnie might be a bit old for Playhouse Disney since he’ll be ten in the fall but cognitively and socially he’s always been a few years behind. Knowing that Jonnie is probably my last child it has occurred to me that one of the odd silver linings of his diagnosis’s is that I get to hold on to those little child moments, that otherwise pass so quickly for just a little longer. Still he won’t be my baby forever and someday, probably soon he’ll grow out of Playhouse Disney and Sesame Street and I’ll be left wondering where my little boy went just as I was with the girls. We quickly informed the children of our decision (much to the girls delight, they had thought we would all go see Playhouse and skip AI) and headed off to our separate destinations.
I had known since I started planning that AI was a must for the girls, particularly Tessa (in fact it was a big part of the reason I pushed so hard for DHS when John had suggested skipping it) so I was glad to see this one thing go right. We arrived right before the show was about to start and got seats quickly. The girls were in awe of how realistic everything looked and Tessa was so excited to be there she practically forgot her disappointment over the fact that she hadn’t been able to audition. This disappointment had been partially to blame for her I’m not a baby tantrum of earlier as Tessa had hoped to convince a CM to let her audition when we had went to check on times but they informed her (as I said they would) that auditions were strictly for people fourteen yrs old and older. Tessa has always had a beautiful singing voice and really, really enjoys performing (she’s been singing solos in front of hundreds of people since she was three and is often referred to as the next American Idol, Hannah Montannah, etc. by impressed school officials, church members and others when they hear her for the first time) so she really had her heart set on auditioning for this experience and was very disappointed by the 14 yr. old age limit. I personally was very grateful for it as I didn’t want to spend most of the day dealing with AI auditions and such I just wanted all of us to enjoy our vacation together as much as possible. This was the perfect compromise and even I got caught up in the excitement as we watched our favorite win the competition and be told he would go on to the next round (although this would come back to haunt us later). Once it was done we headed to Playhouse to meet John and Jonnie. They too were in great spirits. Jonnie had loved the show and John had enjoyed watching Jonnie watch it, though he did express how grateful he was for his wheelchair as it gave him somewhere to sit. Now it was time for us to head towards the thing John had been waiting for…Fantasmic!
It was still cold and wet which was probably why the line I had been envisioning never materialized. We headed up the hill to theater steadily, reached the top and were directed to the wheelchair seats at the back by a CM. At this point John was a bit onerey over something but I seriously don’t remember what and it passed quickly. Jonnie on the other hand was in full out grump mood. He was hungry, tired, wet, over stimulated and wanted another light toy, The glow wands I brought didn’t even phase him and he whined and cried about everything as for a few minutes then he curled up in a ball on the bench. This is when things really started to go downhill. A lady pulled up in an ECV behind us and immediately started complaining that there wasn’t enough room for her family. She tried to get a CM to move some of us but was told that the section was filling up and there would be enough room if her family sat in front of each other (this is how we were seated, Jenna and Tessa two rows down. Me and Jonnie on the back row of bleachers and John parked behind us.)Her adult family members showed up and she kept complaining and telling them to scoot over and make people make room. I got so uncomfortable I put Jonnie on my lap (bad idea he wanted space and was stimming rather consistently by this point and after the show I could barley walk, he's getting too big to sit on my lap that long.)To be fair the woman’s husband sat next to me and he was very sweet. He kept insisting he had plenty of room and Jonnie could take as much room as he needed but then his wife started arguing with him about it and I just felt like I was causing problems. Jonnie went back to whining about a light toy and I tried to appease him with the glow wands again. It was generally very miserable until the show started then everyone was entranced even Jonnie who only muttered “light-up mommy” occasionally and seemed quite interested in the show especially the lights and pyrotechnics. Can you tell he likes lights? We all enjoyed the show some but truthfully we should have skipped it. It was to wet, too cold and we were all hungry. After the show I gave one of the light up wands (with Tessa’s permission) to a little boy who was talking to Jenna before the show. He was very appreciative and polite. We waited for the crowds to disperse and then went to find Hollywood and Vine. Our reservations weren’t for another 45 min but we were starving and I was hoping they could fit us in. No such luck. Next up what to do until dinner, an unpleasant surprise, and are we ever going to eat?

Old 05-29-2010, 01:27 AM   #100
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

Oh my, I can so relate to the waiting too long for dinner! Good idea to split up, I hope. We'll see in your next installment I guess!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #101
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh my, I can so relate to the waiting too long for dinner! Good idea to split up, I hope. We'll see in your next installment I guess!
Yeah, after reading about your Boma ADR I bet you know all about long waits. We never had extremly long waits for our ADR's but going too long between meals was a bit of a theme for our trip. I had thought that we could space meals out quite a bit and get snacks in between but we got so caught up with other things we rarely stopped for snacks and then everyone got way to hungry before our next meal which caused all sorts of outbursts and stressors. Splittling up was a good idea but AI did get Tess in trouble later that night.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #102
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

tried to gpost pics but coulden't get any of them to resize right so I'll try again later. Right now the kids are impatiently waiting for me to take the to the pool.

Last edited by kayrosek; 05-29-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #103
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Okay I still can't seem to get the pics to size right. Anyone have any suggsetions. I have resized them several times and they are still huge!

Last edited by kayrosek; 05-30-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #104
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

I've had that problem before. If I didn't do it right the first time, it's like it won't ever correct. I've had to delete and start over. Maybe just post a couple anyway. I'm sure we won't mind huge pics.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #105
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've had that problem before. If I didn't do it right the first time, it's like it won't ever correct. I've had to delete and start over. Maybe just post a couple anyway. I'm sure we won't mind huge pics.
I tried to delete and put a smaller version on photobucket, but no luck. Oh well. Here's a pic of Jenna with one of the infamous glow wands. I'd post one of Tess but she hates that pic and she would just flip if I posted it screen size

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: