Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #76
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrosek View Post

We waited about 15 or 20 min for a bus to pull up and the driver started loading John. As we were waiting for John to be loaded a woman in line started commenting rather loudly that apparently all it takes to be first for everything is a wheelchair. Okay I have to admit I didnít take that comment too well. I am extremely protective of John and his disability. He has been through so much mentally and physically that nobody else can really understand and he got this way because serving his country and preserving peoples rights was important to him (he frequently reminds me that one of those rights involves peoples right to make stupid comments if they feel like it.) Okay so they have the right to make comments but so do I. Except this is Disney and I donĎt want a huge confrontation. Iím fuming, but a sweet woman in line asks me what branch of service my husband was in (he was wearing his veterans hat again) and if he was hurt in service. I canít help but speak loudly enough for the rude woman and those around her to hear me. The bus driver signals that the kids and I should get on so we do and I figure thatís the end of that but the sweet woman sits down next to me and continues our conversation she asks about how John got hurt and I tell her about the helicopter accident and everything else that has happened since then. A few other people get into the conversation and I canít help but notice that the first woman is sitting not too far away studiously ignoring all of us. The bus arrives at ASM and several people stop to thank my husband for his service while the woman who made the first comment looks away and hurries off the bus. She looks a little embarrassed and I canít help but feel just a little satisfied about this. Is that horrible of me?
I don't think it's horrible of you at all.
My youngest DD is permanently disabled and has been her whole life.
We get at least one of those rude comments once each trip. I always feel bad when I hear about someone else hearing one of those commends because I know just how bad it can feel.

I figure those people are tempting Karma. If they think it is so great to have a disability, they may someday find out how it is in reality.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 02-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #77
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

I think Star Wars is next on our list to show the girls. I love the comment "a villain to my siblings", LOL!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 AM   #78
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyanggirls View Post
I think Star Wars is next on our list to show the girls. I love the comment "a villain to my siblings", LOL!
I saw on your PTR that Tessa is enjoying Star Wars. I was thinking about it and I think Jonnie was about that age maybe a bit older chronologically but about there or even younger cognitively when he first saw Star Wars and he loves it. That villian comment is classic Jenna.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #79
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Caught up again, and I'm a little worried about the call from home!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #80
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Caught up again, and I'm a little worried about the call from home!
Good to see you Denise. Hopefully I'll get the next update posted soon so you won't be in suspense about that call for too much longer.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #81
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

so sorry it has been so long since I posted here. It has been a very difficult few weeks. Most significantly there was a fire in our house. It only affected a few rooms and nobody was hurt but the after math of cleaning and rearranging and wading through our home owners stuff has been crazy. I've been on to other Tr's I'm reading here and there but I haven't had the time or energy to put together another update. Then two days ago I injured my back and neck and now I am under doctors orders to spend only minimal time out of bed at least until my follow up on Monday. As I don't have a laptop that kind of eliminates too much Dising. So hopefully I'll get feeling better soon and be on more. Until then I just wanted you to kno what was going on.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #83
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

So glad no one was injured in the fire, but Yikes! What a mess!

My sister had a fire in their condo (they were away for the weekend, thankfully.) It took weeks and weeks to clean up and they lost an entire closet full of clothes.

I hope your losses weren't too great.

Try to stay off your feet, we'll be here when you're ready to come back.

Kathy
Old 04-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #84
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Oh no... so sorry to hear about the fire! And then your back on top of that!

Hope you're feeling better soon & the fire mess is cleaned up quickly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post

So glad no one was injured in the fire, but Yikes! What a mess!

My sister had a fire in their condo (they were away for the weekend, thankfully.) It took weeks and weeks to clean up and they lost an entire closet full of clothes.

I hope your losses weren't too great.

Try to stay off your feet, we'll be here when you're ready to come back.

Kathy
Thank you both. I'm finally starting to feel better. We have had a few other things happen (strep throat for the kids and some issues with John's health) but it seems things are looking up. We still don't have the house completley back together but part of that is that we are taking this oppertunity to do a little remodeling in the back of the house and to switch bedrooms the way we had planned to eventually anyway. So now we are in the middle of that but I should still have more time coming up and I'm looking forward to getting another update done soon. I may even start it tonight.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #86
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about the fire and the health stuff. I'm glad no one was injured in the fire! Take your time getting back; we'll be here!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)

Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #87
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Trying to catch a Jedi DHS part 2

We finished our lunch and checked the times for JedI knight training, a must for the two Johns. We had some time so we decided to check out our muppet friends in 3D. Since the muppets were a favorite of mine from my childhood I was particularly excited about this attraction. I got more excited when I passed the too cute muppet fountain, but Jonnie was anything but thrilled with the line. The CM assured us it was simply a twelve minute wait and we would all be let in. This didnít sound so bad so we took our place at the back of the line. Unfortunately Jonnie was just not up for any wait right then. It was a bit of a challenge even with the muppet posters to distract him, but scrapping it would have elicited complaints from both girls. Finally, (the wait definitely seems longer with a cranky child) we made it into the main waiting area and got our glasses which was a delightful distraction for Jonnie ( he has quite the fascination with 3D glasses.) What can I say I really liked this attraction but I liked the theatre the most. There was something transporting about sitting in the muppet theatre. I felt like I was actually in one of the movies I watched as a child
After our time at the theatre we headed back to JedI training only to find we were too late. John suggested he and Jonnie stay and wait for the next session (I knew he was hoping to get Jonnie in on the action) and the girls and I could check the time for American Idol. So thatís what we did. We split up and I took the girls, only to find out that the next shows for both American Idol and Play house Disney werenít for awhile but they were were at about the same time. Big problem for me as Jonnie is obsessed with playhouse disney and Tessaís goal for the whole trip was to see AI (actually that wasnít quite it but more on that later) We did some wandering. The girls suggested RNR or TOT but by that time I wasnít sure if we had time for those long lines and John wasnít answering his cell so I suggested we go back and check what was going on with DH and Jonnie. Tessa however had a different plan, I could go back and check on Jonnie and dad and her and Jen could explore some more, on their own. Okay can you say No Way! Now I know some people are more comfortable with this than I am but no. Not only did I feel they were too young for random exploring but we were getting lost and having a hard time hearing our cell phones while we were together, none of us had ever been here or had any idea what we were doing so this was not a good time for one of my daughters independent streaks. Unfortunatley my resounding no made it time for one of her pouty, tantrum-esque moods. Ugh! I am hating these moody hormonal years with her already. We had a few unpleasant moments but I was determined to stay in a magical mood. So I got the girls cheered up and headed back to JedI territory only to find out that the next show was just about to begin. I was a bit afraid at this point that we would be cutting it close for either AI or playhouse and we still had to make it in time to get good seats to the 1rst. Fantasmic. The day felt like it was flying by so fast, but before John and I could talk or make plans I got a phone call. It was our house sitter Amanda calling to check on us and to tell us she had come home to find a light on in the garage last night and had been scared that someone had broke in so she had called 911. The cops hadenít found anything out of the ordinary but a girl down the street had convinced her that break-ins were common in our neighborhood so now she was scared. This supposed crime streak was news to me. Weíve only lived here for a few years but have lots of friends in the neighborhood and everyone has told us that they feel really safe here and have never had a problem in ten or more years in the neighborhood. I had a pretty good idea who had told her this and I knew that it was likely more than a little exaggerated. I also figured that I was the one who had left on the garage light before we left and Amanda hadenít noticed it before, but I knew she was just scared so I tried to reassure that she was safe , reminded her that we had introduced her to our friends across the street if she needed anyone and suggested she invite someone to stay with her. I also assured her that if she felt unsafe she could leave and we would find someone else to watch the animals or get someone to take them to kennels. She told me she had a friend staying that night so she would let me know how she felt tomorrow and she hung up sounding as if she felt better but I hung up totally stressed. Just the thought of a break in bothered me but it didnít sound as if there had been one and now I wasnít sure what was going to happen to our animals while we were gone. I relayed all this to John and he pointed out that the JedI show had been cancelled due to weather (somehow I had missed the fact that it had started raining again I had gotten so caught up in my conversation) so now we were left deciding what to do again with a deeply disappointed little boy.

Next up singing and dancing in the rain.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #88
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

How frustrating to try and handle whatever was happening at home while you're so far away. I don't blame you for saying no to the girls wandering around alone!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #89
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

I've been there... I have a sense of how everone was feeling at that point! We had a morning like that when nothing seemed to go our way. I recently found myself speed walking, pushing a stroller, through Epcot trying to find a ride, any ride for the boys before they melted down! I hope your luck changed quickly...
Old 05-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #90
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Big News! I have a ticker.

You girls have no idea how big this is! Originally John figured WDW was a one time thing but from the moment we got there I knew we had to go back. I also knew it wasen't going to be easy to convince John of that. I started trying to convince him a few months ago and finally got him to agree on an anniversary trip with the kids along 5-7 years from now. Then I started working on him about doing a getaway trip for an anniversary, just the two of us, sooner and then a trip with the kids when they were a little older. He finally (I had major convincing to do as he diden't see WDW as an adult place) agreed to a big luxurious couples trip for our tenth anniversary in over two years , but thanks to KathyRN I coulden't be satisfied with that. So today I used my best fuzzy disney math to convince him that if we were really serious about a that special trip in 2012 it would be better to go down sooner for a short "trial" and then when we liked it book a bounce back. So after all that he's finally on board for 2011. It's still over a year away but it's oh so much better than 7 years. So there's my big news I just had to share.

Last edited by kayrosek; 05-08-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: