Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

A bit of history

I've said before that there was a story behind this trip and I can't tell you about the trip without telling you how it came about. Of course in order to do that I have to tell you a little more about myself and my family. I married my highschool sweetheart and had Tess right out of highschool and like most girls I was sure we would live happily ever after. Now as you might have guessed it diden't quite work out that way but by the time I realized that I had Jenna and was pregnant with Jonnie. There were alot of issues in my marriage but boy was it hard to leave knowing I was going to be a single mom to three young children. When I left Tess was just over three and Jenna was about 14 mo. I figured I was done, done with marriage, done with depending on a man, all of that. Well through some weird circumstances I met DH just a few months later. He lived in a different state and he'd call me occasionaly to see how I was doing. He became my best freind but I still thought that was all he would ever be. He helped me through the worst time in my life and I was there for him through the aftermath of the accident that changed his life, the loss of his sqaud and his medical discharge from the Marine Corp. He fought that discharge so hard! Being a Marine was his idenity and he had planned for it to be his career but when it became inevitable that he was in fact getting out and he had to decide what to do he decided to do his Voc Rehab close to where I lived. Well the Voc Rehab diden't work out. All the extra complications made him unemployable and so began the long hard journey to get his benefits. Meanwhile I was struggling to find out what was wrong with my baby boy and spending most of my time in the hospital. Family members were helping with the girls so that I could be with my son and John started spelling me off at the hospital. Well it isen't hard to figure out that I eventually realized that my best freind was so much more than that, but
I'm getting ahead of myself, John hung out around my kids alot and one thing that always bothered him was that every time a Disney commercial would come on Tess would run to the TV yelling "my daddy's going to take me there, he is, he promised." Well John and I both knew that wasen't going to happen my ex had made that promise when we were still married and lived an hour from Disneyland but well we knew "daddy" wasen't really going to keep that promise, and Disney wasen't even an option for a single mom who coulden't keep a job due to all the times her son was in the hospital and the fact that his doctors diden't want him exposed to all the germs in day care until they could figure out what to do for him. So fast forward to a couple of years later when John and I were about to get married Tessa was still doing the same thing only now she would follow up with qestions about why "daddy" (who diden't visit much anyway) diden't keep his promise. It was heartbreaking and one day after Tess did it John promised me that some day he would make up for that broken promise. As I said it was a long fight to get his benefits and there were alot of struggles with his health along the way. At one point he was in a coma on life support but eventually everything came together and he was granted unemployability and disability from the VA but SS diden't agree. John had enough credits to recieve SS disability but they kept denying him. Finally in Febuary 2009 he won his appeal and was granted retroactive benefits. On our way home from that hearing with absolutley no idea how much he would be getting eigther retroactively or monthly John told me it diden't matter how much he got there was one thing he had to do (I was expecting something crazy) but instead he followed up with "I have to take the kids to Disney World. Now! Before Tessa is way too old for the magic!" I was shocked. I'd pretty much forgotten about it, filed it away as one of those things that just diden't exist in the reality of our lives but John haden't he was determined to keep his promise and make up for his little girl being hurt so many years ago. We kept it a secret while we waited to find out how our income would change and by July when everything was finalized John was bursting at the seams. He was like a kid in a candy store when he finally broke the big news to the kids!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #17
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

OT Jenna's Birthday

Oaky I know I really should be posting about our trip but I'm absolutley exhausted. Yesterday was my dd(now)11's birthday and we've recently started celebrating birthdays with family sleepovers. Jenna and her sister (who's birthday is in a month) are sharing a big birthday party in 3 wks. I'm renting out the locl skating rink and buying two multi-tiered birthday cakes so they can invite pretty much everyone they know for an afternoon of skating but I diden't want Jenna's actual birthday to pass without acknowledging it so I made a molten choclate cake, bought TV dinners (her request, she almost always asks for TV dinners for her birthday dinner ), and dragged mattresses and sleeping bags into the living room. We ate and watched movies and ate some more and watched more movies. We watched , Fly me to the Moon, Imagine That, Bedtime Stories, and Beverly Hills Chihuahua and I finally feel asleep somewhere around 3 am. It was a long, good night and Jenna had a blast which was the point but I feel totally fried.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing the background of how this trip came about. You have an awesome man!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #19
A&Bmama
DIS Veteran

Wow that is an amazing story.

I can't wait to hear every detail.

Your husband is a Prince!

Me, DH, DD12, DS 19
Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
Lcaemom
DIS Veteran

Wow!!! I got so filled up reading your story! Can't wait to read more!!!
TR: Our first family of 6 trip, including a proposal on 12/12/12 at 12:12 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post46997114
PTR: Our first family of 6 Christmas Vacation Dec 2012!!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3015456
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #21
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry I haven't been around for a few days. Jennas been sick for a couple of days. Thanks everyone for your replys. I'd love to reply individually to each of you but John need the computer.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #22
bethk78
Earning My Ears

LOVE those pics!

Old 01-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #23
Ciciwoowoo
we would both run like heck to get home before the ghosts got us!

What a wonderful start to your story...and I just love the pics of your children... Did you take them? They are beautiful!!!

I look forward to reading more!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #24
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Thanks for sharing the background of how this trip came about. You have an awesome man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&Bmama View Post
Wow that is an amazing story.

I can't wait to hear every detail.

Your husband is a Prince!
Thanks you guys! I think my hubbys pretty great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcaemom View Post
Wow!!! I got so filled up reading your story! Can't wait to read more!!!
Thanks I'm going to try to write the next installment tonight or in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethk78 View Post
LOVE those pics!
Thank you so much!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #25
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciciwoowoo View Post
What a wonderful start to your story...and I just love the pics of your children... Did you take them? They are beautiful!!!

I look forward to reading more!!!
Thanks! Yes I did take the pics. Unfortunatley do to circumstances you'll hear about later my Disney pics aren't that great.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #26
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrosek View Post
"I have to take the kids to Disney World. Now! Before Tessa is way too old for the magic!" I was shocked. I'd pretty much forgotten about it, filed it away as one of those things that just diden't exist in the reality of our lives but John haden't he was determined to keep his promise and make up for his little girl being hurt so many years ago. We kept it a secret while we waited to find out how our income would change and by July when everything was finalized John was bursting at the seams. He was like a kid in a candy store when he finally broke the big news to the kids!

Hoo-rah!! You can always count on the Marines!
(My daddy was one.)

Kathy
Old 01-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #27
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Hoo-rah!! You can always count on the Marines!
(My daddy was one.)

Kathy
Gotta love those Marines. Thanks for stopping by. Your TR's kept me really busy the week before we left.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #28
kayrosek
DIS Veteran

My dang computer

ATE MY POST! and hubby needs the computer. I promise I'll post about our first day tomorrow. Thanks for hanging in there everyone.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #29
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Old 01-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #30
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrosek View Post
ATE MY POST! and hubby needs the computer. I promise I'll post about our first day tomorrow. Thanks for hanging in there everyone.

Hint: Type it out on Word first and then copy/paste. If you "time out" on the reply thread you will lose you post.

Kathy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: