Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
ginabina
Earning My Ears

20 year olds on Disney Cruise

Are there activities for 20 year olds on the ship. They do not fit in the teen rooms or the adult clubs?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginabina View Post
Are there activities for 20 year olds on the ship. They do not fit in the teen rooms or the adult clubs?
At 18 they can attend the adult venues. They can't drink alcohol, but they can be in all adult areas. Yes, they cannot go to Vibe (teen club).

The first night of the cruise there is generally an 18-21 group meeting. Check your Navigator to find out the time/location for this. They will meet with the CM facilitating the group and discuss what activities they would like to have during the cruise. It's real important that they go to this first meeting. If not enough people show up for it, then there aren't many activities arranged for them.

Some cruises have a very active 18-21 group, some cruises don't.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

My oldest son was in this 18-21 group and had a blast..he could do Palo, all the adult things and still be a kid.. I think the college kids hung out at the sports bar, or that is where he was, had a GREAT time doing trivia..every one on the entertainment staff knew him and the group..

loved it! so much he wants to sail again and again

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
tow-mater-1
DIS Veteran

On our first cruise my dd was 18 and had a blast and the group was very active. Last year she was 20 and not so much. She still had a great time with everything they have to offer.
tow-mater-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

I realize we only got one side of the story, but a family at the table next to us last cruise was VERY disappointed in DCL's offerings for that age group.

As per their DD she went to the meeting the first night; only 4 people showed up, and the other 3 were traveling together. A CM peeked in but didn't do much more than say a quick hello. She tried to go to anything listed in the navigator as being specifically for that age group, but felt they were mostly loosely organized chances to run into people, and too loosely in her opinion. ie: one was a lunch, but the dining room was open for everyone, so she had no idea whether anyone else was there for the meet-up or not.

Again, this is second hand information and I have no idea how accurate her description of events was, but I do know both she and her parents felt DCL really dropped the ball when it came to that age group.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil

My nieces were in the college group when we had our family reunion cruise and they had a blast. They found a group of kids the in the same group and made plans every day. They were not bored at all and this was even the Magic.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats mom View Post
I realize we only got one side of the story, but a family at the table next to us last cruise was VERY disappointed in DCL's offerings for that age group.

As per their DD she went to the meeting the first night; only 4 people showed up, and the other 3 were traveling together. A CM peeked in but didn't do much more than say a quick hello. She tried to go to anything listed in the navigator as being specifically for that age group, but felt they were mostly loosely organized chances to run into people, and too loosely in her opinion. ie: one was a lunch, but the dining room was open for everyone, so she had no idea whether anyone else was there for the meet-up or not.

Again, this is second hand information and I have no idea how accurate her description of events was, but I do know both she and her parents felt DCL really dropped the ball when it came to that age group.
DS wasn't real thrilled when I told him to go to the first night's meeting. But it all worked out. We only saw him at meals, excursions, and most shows. Other than that he was "hanging with the others" from the group.

They participated in the (I forget what it's called really) pinewood derby sort of thing where they made little race cars out of veggies. They had lunch and breakfast (different days) with the staff (officers), went to the movies together, adult pool at 10:00 at night (brrrrr), and just "hung out". Every night they would meet up in Diversions (sports bar) and then go to Wavebands (pub) for the adult comedy show, and then would sometimes hang around for the step dancing lessons, karaoke, and whatever other stuff was going on in there after the show. The CM working with the group was able to get some games from Vibe and bring out for the group to play in Diversions.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
It's real important that they go to this first meeting. If not enough people show up for it, then there aren't many activities arranged for them.

Some cruises have a very active 18-21 group, some cruises don't.

I'm wondering if this may have been what happened in the case I mentioned. If only 4 people showed up the first night, and 3 of them were traveling together, it would be pretty easy for the CM heading that age group to assume there wasn't much interest in planned activities.

It was pretty sad for the poor girl who didn't want to spend every minute with her parents but never really found a way to connect with anyone else her age though.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
ginabina
Earning My Ears

Thanks

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Sir William
DIS Veteran

DS was 20 when he went on his first cruise last May. I couldn't get him to go to the 18-21 meeting, and rarely saw him during the day but he had a good time. We went to WDW after ther the cruise and I asked him if he could only do one which would he choose. To my surprise he said another cruise!

So...we will be taking him on a cruise for his college graduation present.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

I noticed on our last Dream cruise that the CM heading up that age group in Evolution each night had no energy. She looked bored, and she just sat there. I think you need someone that is very outgoing like Trevor to make it work. I did mention this in a note to DCL.
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
1/15 (Eastern)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

Our last cruise my oldest DD was 19, it was her first time not being able to go into the clubs. She was excited to go to the meet the first night and meet people her age to hang out with. Sadly, she was the only one that showed up. She ended up hanging out with us in the adult areas most of the time. She still enjoyed herself, but not nearly as much as she would have if other kids had showed up that first night. I think it depends on the time of year too, ie summer and holidays will have larger groups in this age range. We went in February, so that could be why there weren't any kids her age.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: