Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
TinkerbellSecret
Mouseketeer

SHOE Help! Plantar Fasciitis related....

I have HORRIBLE Plantar fasciitis that has been pretty under control for one year since I lost a lot of weight and wear Danskos 99% of the time, and Brooks tennis shoes with orthotics for running. Chacos sandals do okay for me too. If I stray, I hurt.

Here's my problem: this trip is in January --- too cold for sandals. Last two trips to Disney were in hot weather, and I switched between tennis shoes & Chacos. Now what? I LOVE my Danskos, but if it is raining, they are not going to make it being leather, and I don't want to risk ruining them or being stuck in them in rainy weather. DH says take two pairs of tennis shoes - that way I have a back-up in case of drenched shoes. I could do this if I buy another pair.

I am wondering if anyone with my same condition has had luck with any other brands/kinds of shoes that would work in case of rain? I wanted to check before I buy more tennis shoes - I don't wear them ever except workouts.

Thanks!

February 2006 - Off-site with DH & DD
July 2008 - Wilderness Lodge with DH & DD
August 2009 - Disney Wonder 3-night + All-Star Movies with Sister & DD
January 2010 - Wilderness Lodge with DH & DD
TinkerbellSecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Mrs D
I realize most people don't hear editing

I had pretty bad plantar fascitis too until I began to wear custom orthotics in ALL my shoes.
I wear Keen shoes with orthotics in, all of mine are leather so I make sure I use a water-proofing spray about once a year. I wear them all year round, in snow in rain and through 3 Disney trips! My original pair from over 2 years ago and still in great shape even if they do look 'broken in'. On my Feb. trip we spent our entire day at Epcot in the drenching rain. We all needed to change pants and my BFF had to change shoes and shoes, my shoes were fine due to the waterproofing.

The nice thing about Keen is your can take out the insole to put in your orthotic.

HTH!

Mom/Son bday trip! 6/15**WDW, Frozen Summer Fun & Diagon Alley! Aug. '14*Ultimate Orlando w/WDW, WWoHP&Legoland + First DCL!!Jan '14**Princess Half Marathon Feb '12 AKV**Oct. 12 DL for Halloween Time!**Apr. 12 Pop/AKV, F&G fest+ 80th bday**Leap Day! 24hrs in MK & CR!**June 11-Pop & SWW**Oct. '10 Pixie Dust!Upgraded to GF!! Wine & Dine Half Relay!**Dec. 09 Christmas at Pop**Feb. 09 Girls Only BDAY trip@BWV!** Sept. 08 First trip for the little ones - VWL** Numerous trips throughout childhood.
Mrs D is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
lynetteSC
Have you ever been BACK-DOORED?
what is the deal with Hedda Lettuce?
....no...no...I'm the "queen of the ellipses."

have you tried crocs? i have good luck at wdw if i alternate between my tennis shoes and crocs! good luck! it is hard finding something that works!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
iheartdolewhips
DIS Veteran

I would check the weather before you go and make sure that it really is going to be too cold for sandals. We were just there about two weeks ago and it was HOT. Thankfully I had packed some summer clothes and not just all sweaters like I thought I'd need. I'd take them just in case it turns out to not be too cold.

I don't have a brand to recommend, but I do think the suggestion of getting more tennis shoes is a great idea. My feet were killing me on this last trip from only having one pair of shoes to wear to the parks. I couldn't believe when I put on a pair of heels to go eat dinner at the Polynesian that my feet actually felt better! I even thought about wearing the heels to the park the next day, but quickly decided against that. Next time, I will definitely bring two pairs of shoes. I think it helps your feet and leg muscles not get strained and worn out in quite the same way every day.

Canceled our May trip because I broke my tailbone.

Resorts we have stayed at: Fort Wilderness, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans Riverside, and Polynesian
I have also stayed at: All Star Music and Pop Century
Favorite Restaurants: Kona Cafe, Yak and Yeti, and T-Rex
iheartdolewhips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Psychodisney
DIS Veteran

As long as your symptoms are under control (ie symptom free) you should be OK in tennis shoes with a good arch support. Periodically through the day, stretch your calf doing the basic runner's stretch.
Psychodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
MKEMSE
Earning My Ears

I also have really bad plantar fasciitis. However, the custom orthotics do not work for me. They actually make my feet feel worse because they are so hard. I need to take my orthotics back to have them less rigid & more cushion according to my podiatrist.

What has helped are the over-the-counter Dr. Scholls custom inserts (where they have a machine that measures your feet instead of taking a molding of your feet at the doc's). I also have had real success with Brooks Ariel shoes that I wear everyday (including work - I'm a teacher & am on my feet a lot). I am trying to lose weight so hopefully that will help for me.

Be sure to take any inflammatory medication & ice your foot if it hurts. Hope this helps.

April 1995 off property (Magic Music Days with HS Band)
May 2001 off property
Dec. 2001 All Star Music
July 2003 All Star Music
June 2004 All Star Music
June 2006 All Star Music
August 2007 All Star Music
August 2009 POFQ
December 2010 POFQ
November 2012 POFQ
July 2013 Alaska Cruise on the Wonder
December 2013 CBR
July 2014 AKL Villas
MKEMSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I have two pairs of Brooks running shoes and love them. I'm taking both pairs next week--just in case of rain.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
LovinRafiki
Mouseketeer

I am in the same spot as the OP. I too have plantar fascitis that has been under control thanks to wearing my Danskos at work. But we are heading down in February and I need some tennis shoes. Can I ask you what kind of Brooks shoes work the best for you? Thanks!!!

April 2009 - POFQ
September 2009 - POR
February 2010 - Pop

LovinRafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
TinkerbellSecret
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinRafiki View Post
I am in the same spot as the OP. I too have plantar fascitis that has been under control thanks to wearing my Danskos at work. But we are heading down in February and I need some tennis shoes. Can I ask you what kind of Brooks shoes work the best for you? Thanks!!!
Brooks Adrenaline GTS are what I have and love. I'm just on hold right now ordering a new pair of the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 9. I'm ordering from Nordstrom, but they are price matching www.runningwarehouse.com who has them on sale for $69.88 right now! Awesome price! They are on sale at several places right now as the GTS 10 just came out. I'm due for new running shoes anyhow, so I'll wear my old ones first at Disney, and bring my new ones as a back-up.

February 2006 - Off-site with DH & DD
July 2008 - Wilderness Lodge with DH & DD
August 2009 - Disney Wonder 3-night + All-Star Movies with Sister & DD
January 2010 - Wilderness Lodge with DH & DD
TinkerbellSecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Mich Mouse
Poly Loving Disney Bride

Location: Where you take only pictures, leave only footprints

Just wanted to congratulate you for getting healthy and losing weight. Your endurance will be so much better during your trip to WDW!!!

Have a great time!!! Hope your feeties will cooperate.

Mich Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
TillyMarigold
DIS Veteran

I have really bad PF in one foot and mild PF in the other, I use semi-custom insoles in whatever shoes I'm wearing--Keens, sneakers (I find Salomons are the best brand if you have insanely high arches, like I do), hiking boots (I wear Merrells), etc. I also have a pair of MBTs that I can easily wear to walk around all day. But I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing leather, just use a waterproofing spray and carry extra socks (at the very least).

The one tip I have for PF, though, is when you go on Soarin': take off your shoes (no matter what they are) and KEEP YOUR FEET FLEXED. Do not let them dangle with your toes pointed!
TillyMarigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
kwitcherkicken99
Sleep keeps me pretty. CAFFEINE keeps me NICE!
This vicarious living is wonderful!
I'll take getting my feet up all the way

I have a pair of non-custom orthodics and on my really bad days, wrap up my arch with an ACE bandage. For some reason, it alieviates the bad pain. Right now, I'm in a walking boot for a recently removed heel spur!

Good Luck!
kwitcherkicken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
disney777
DIS Veteran

I had a minor case of PF last year. I wear Crocs, and that worked the best for me. When I was at the parks, I made sure to massage my feet a couple times a day and that seemed to help. I tried some arch support and wrapping, but both seemed to make it feel worse.
disney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
f15robyn
DIS Veteran

I have rather severe PF in one foot. I went to a good running shoe store where they take into account your unique foot, stride, etc. They watch you walk on a treadmill, including a close up video on the back of the ankle, etc.

They recommended a good running shoe (note: I do NOT run ).

They were outstanding for both a 10 day trip to WDW in January and a 7 day trip at DL in May.

Two days before leaving in December for a 6 day trip, I purchased a new pair. With no breaking in, they were fantastic for that trip.

I do use SuperFeet inserts in them as well (also fitted by the running shoe store).

The shoe they recommended for me is the Saucony Omni. I purchased the Omni 7 last January and the Omni 8 this fall. They are usually around $100. But worth every penny. However, I would not necessarily recommend them to someone else. I'd recommend going to a good running store and having them make a recommendation.
W.H. (with husband - who is my official enabler )
Jan 2008 - Off site; Jan 2009 - POR & BWV; May 2009 - Disneyland!!; Dec 2009 - CR; Jan/Feb 2010 - CR; Mar 2010 - Dolphin; Apr 2010 - BLT (hubby's last minute business trip); May 2010 - CR; Jun/Jul 2010 -CR (another hubby business trip); Sept 2010 - Dolphin; Nov 2010 - CR; Jan 2011 - Disneyland; Mar 2011 - Dolphin; July 2011 - CR; Sept 2011 - Dolphin & CR; Jan 2012 - CS, Dolphin & CR; Mar 2012 - Dolphin; Oct 2012 - Disneyland & CR & AoA; Jan 2013 - Dolphin; May 2013 - CR; Sept 2013 - Swan
f15robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #15
Sandy321
Crazy enough to want to do another Half Marathon!
If it were all about me? - I'd go with the Princesses!!

another one with PF - and I found crocs helped tremendously - but then I wanted to do the Half -

so I went to a running store - and like a PP they watched me "run"/walk on a tread mill - I pronate, so they found shoes that work for me, and they reccomended a special insert (its orange)

HUGE difference!

I think you will be fine with your sandals in Jan and Feb (unless your feet get really cold - I will wear my crocs in Chicago for any weather above freezing, below zero - I'll wear tennis shoes - mine are New Balance)

Then I hurt my hip - saw a chiropractor - on my 3rd treatment, I mentioned my pf - and he took my foot,and started manipulating the muscle!! OMG

it felt better!!

I went to a podiatrist and didnt get as much relief as I did from the chiro!! (he showed me how to wrap my foot, and do a few exercises as well as rolling it on a tennis ball or a frozen bottle o water!)
Sandy321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: