Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
ramona5371
Cinderella

DVC Points For Sale?

I have been told that DVC points can be purchased by non members. Could someone explain how this works? Could this possibly be a better deal than the other offers to the general public?
ramona5371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

A non DVC owner can "rent" points from a DVC member. Often times it is cheaper than using a discount code for the same room. Here is a link to some info:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1709083
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Jenna319
DIS Veteran

Dvc

I have rented points twice and both times were excellent experiences. You can save a great deal of money (I rented points at the Beach Club Villas for our honeymoon and for a week, it cost $1,000 whereas if I booked through Disney, it would have been closer to $3,000!!!) but there are pros and cons. You have to have a certain amount of trust in the person you are renting from because they have TOTAL control over the reservation. Be sure to get references. I myself tend to rent from people who have many posts so that I know they are established disboards members. It is sometimes more difficult to cancel a reservation through renting points bc that DVC member may lose their points if you cancel.

Here is some info I copied and pasted from the DVC board, hope this helps!:

Reserving DVC accommodations though a DVC Member is very different from a reservation made directly through Disney
DVC is a timeshare and not a hotel. As a result certain hotel type services are not provided, such as daily housekeeping. You will get a "Trash & Towel" service on the fourth day of your stay (the trash is emptied and the towels are replaced). If you stay 8 nights or longer, you will get a full cleaning on your fourth day and your "Trash & Towel" service on your eighth day. The cycle repeats with either a full cleaning or "T&T" every four days.

Renters will receive all WDW resort guests’ benefits such as free parking at the WDW theme parks, use of Disney transportation, Magical Express and Extra Magic Hours. DVC Member benefits such as dining discounts, pool hopping and free valet parking are not transferable to renters.

DVC Member Services will not speak with non-members so you will not be able to call them to confirm your reservation. Any requests for, or changes to your reservation and any additions such as the Dining Plan or Magical Express will have to be made by the Member from whom you are renting. (Payment for the Dining Plan will be made when you check in to the resort.) Dining reservations should be made directly with Disney Dining. You will need to purchase your park tickets separately.

The payment schedule and cancellation policy is determined by the Member from whom you rent. Many Members have a "no refunds" policy so be sure you fully understand what will happen in the event that you have to cancel your trip. DVC resorts operate at close to 100% occupancy so even if a Member is willing to try to reschedule your trip, it may not be possible to do so. The DVC program itself has booking rules and restrictions that may make it impossible for the Member to accommodate any changes once your reservation has been made.

DVC Members can make a reservation at their "home" resort as early as 11 months prior to the check-out date and at "non-home" resorts beginning 7 months prior to the check-out date. Certain times of the year are particularly busy at the DVC resorts: all holidays and 3-day weekends, Spring break, Epcot’s Food & Wine festival (for the Epcot resorts in particular), early December, in fact from Thanksgiving through the start of the new year! Many DVC Members book at their earliest opportunity for these busy times. If you would like to rent a reservation from a Member for one of the busier times of the year, posting your request prior to the start of the "11-month window" will increase your chances of securing a reservation. If you are hoping to stay at a particular resort during a busy time of the year you will need to rent from a Member who owns points at that resort who can make a reservation during the 11-month window. If you are already within 7 months of your check-out date, any Member can book at any DVC resort but availability will be more limited and you may need to be more flexible about your resort preferences.

Renters should ask for and receive a printed confirmation from the member. The confirmation is always sent to the member, but it should be made in the renter's name and forwarded to the renter. It will contain the confirmation number for the reservation and will allow the renter to call the resort directly to verify their reservation. The member will always retain control over the reservation. DVC has indicated in the contract documents that a rental agreement must be provided to the renter, identifying that the terms of rental will follow the terms the member has agreed to for DVC membership.

Members should be aware that they are subject to all reservation policies of DVC whenever they make a reservation- whether it's for themselves, a guest or a renter. If they make a reservation within 30 days of travel, they are automatically subject to holding account rules should they need to cancel the reservation. Members may want to insist on full payment from a renter before making a reservation within 30 days of arrival, as they will at least lose some value for those points should payment not be received.

Both parties should be aware that there is an element of trust required for these transactions. Both sides should be comfortable with the details of the transaction before agreeing to do business. Either party could have some costly disappointment if they do not prepare for these possibilities in advance. We suggest that renters should ask for (and check) references from the member they are working with as well as review past posts on the DIS by that member. Renters should have a home address and home telephone number for the member as a reference. When possible, we suggest that payments be made by credit card to have an additional level of security.

September '13- Boardwalk & Disneyland Hotel, December '12- 10-Year New Years Anniversary Trip- AoA, BCV & AKV Kidani, November '11- Old Key West, February '11- Family Trip- AKV Kidani & SSR, September '10- Disneyland Grand Californian, September '09- POR & Polynesian, October '08- CSR, March '08- Old Key West, October '07- <3 Disneymoon at BCV <3, '05- All Star Movies, '02- Polynesian, '01- Contemporary, '00- Girls Graduation Trip- Caribbean Beach, '98- Port Orleans French Quarter, '96- Port Orleans French Quarter, '94- All Star Music, '92 Contemporary & COUNTLESS off-property trips that I won't count
Jenna319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
ramona5371
Cinderella

Thanks for your time!

Thank you for the info.! I'm a newbie to this website, but now I realize that there is a thread of info. on this subject. This whole disboard site is a mind blower. Detailed Disney information- on absolutely any subject- at your fingertips 24/7. Fascinating. And everyone is so helpful and kind - it's refreshing. Very Disney-like.
ramona5371 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: