Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
marigurl
Earning My Ears

Opinions and suggestions regarding our itinerary

Hi everyone! My hubby and I are going to be in Disney world next week and we have not finalized our itinerary or made all of our ADRs! This is my very first trip, so I am having a hard time making decisions, since I don't know what to expect! Below is our itinerary, I would love it if you would offer your opinion, tips, or dining recommendations. We are arriving to MCO at 9:00am on day 1 and departing at 8:30am on Day 6 (so that is nearly 5 full days). We have yet to decide between taking a taxi or Mears shuttle to get to and from the airport (we are staying at Shades of Green). My husband and I are celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary and have not seen each other in about 6 months (he will be on his 15 day leave from Iraq). I really want this trip to be something special, so please help me with our itinerary!!

Things to include:
At least one full day (or two half days) @ Magic Kingdom
At least one full day (or two half days) @ Epcot
At least one full day (or two half days) @ Disney's Hollywood Studios
At least one half day @ Animal Kingdom
Disney Quest/Downtown Disney (with lunch or dinner at Raglan Road)
Lunch or dinner at Biergarten (special request by DH)
Some time to relax at the pool or the spa (or both)
Fantasmic

Day 1
Tues. Jan. 5th (our 2nd anniversary)
Arrive MCO 9:00am
Hopefully check in early to Shades of Green
Lunch at Shades of Green- either Garden Gallery (buffet) or Manginos
Disney Quest/Downtown Disney
Dinner at Raglan Road
Maybe go to the pool or the spa at some point

or Option 2
Arrive MCO at 9am
Lunch at Shades of Green or quick service @ Epcot
Epcot - Future World
Dinner at Biergarten @ 6:35
IllumiNations - 9pm
What's a good place to watch this from???

or Option 3
Arrive MCO at 9am
Lunch at Shades of Green
or quick service @ MK
Magic Kingdom
Wishes - 8pm
Where do you recommend we view it from?
Dinner at The Wave @ 9:15pm (Contemporary resort)

Day 2
Wed. Jan. 6th
I can't decide what to do on day 2...
Perhaps a half day at Animal Kingdom?
Animal Kingdom has Extra Magic Hours from 5-8pm
Maybe a full or half day Magic Kingdom? (if we don't go on day 1)
Or 1/2 day in Downtown Disney (if we don't do it on day 1)

Day 3
Thur. Jan. 7th
Morning: Magic Kingdom- Extra Magic Hours… ride as many rides as possible!
Quick service either at MK or DHS or somewhere between the two --- recommendations please!
Transfer to Disney's Hollywood Studios... what are our transportation options?
Dinner at Hollywood and Vine 5:15pm
Fantasmic 8pm

Day 4
Fri. Jan. 8th
Epcot all day

If we don't go to Epcot on our first day then lunch at Biergarten
Dinner, I don't know... either counter service or cheaper table service - recommendations please!

If we have already had Biergarten, then we could have a late lunch at Rose and Crown 1pm and Dinner at a counter service restaurant
or lunch at counter service and dinner at Rose and Crown 4pm (those times were based on the available ressies at Rose and Crown)

Another idea is to take a break from Epcot and ride the monorail to the Contemporary to have lunch at The Wave and head back to Epcot after that.

IllumiNations - 9pm

Day 5
Sat. Jan. 9th
Morning at DHS-Extra Magic Hours (see whatever shows we missed on Day 3)
Then use our last day to do whatever we haven't had a chance to do.

Day 6
Sun. Jan. 10th
Depart MCO 8:30am
marigurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
serene56
DIS Veteran

Did you make reservations for any of the listed places above?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Yes - you have specific times like you already have ADRs, but what you wrote sounds like you don't. So if you don't already have your ADRs ...

You need to make your dining decisions and get on the phone or online to book them NOW. At this point, you may have to just take whatever you can get, wherever you can get for sit-down meals. Or eat counter service.

You might get lucky since you're going a sort of a slow time but marathon weekend is during your dates and that will make things more crowded.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
JohnnyB2
DIS Veteran

Hi, The good news is you picked a good week(low crowds)for your your 1st trip to WDWIt is good to have a plan but sometimes someone might over plan a little and end up running around instead of relaxing and enjoying their trip.Try to make some ADRs for the resturants you want to go to as some may not be available on certain nights or times.try to go to the park your ressie is at because sometimes your having a great time at one park only having to leave and run somewhere else.WDW is very large and hard to see it all in one trip/that is why we keep coming backHave a great trip!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
MEK
DIS Veteran

Since you arriving at MCO at 9am I definately think you should head into a park that day. I like Illuminations for my first night, but that's just me. You could still have time to go to DTD and then head to Epcot for dinner and Illuminations. See if you can get an ADR around 6 / 6:30pm.

I have had good success watching Illuminations from the area around Norway. I have done this on my last two trips and I have the view to be good and the crowds to be low. Both trips I walked up 5 - 10 mins before it started.

Here's a shot from that area:

The other suggestion I have is consider more than 1/2 day at AK. There is a ton to see and do there. The safari, EE, Dinosaur, both shows, the parade. It's a pretty cool park, so don't be surprised if you only scratch the surface in a 1/2. The park looks super cool at night, so I do recommend late EMH.

Have a great trip.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
MEK
DIS Veteran

p.s. don't forget the anniversary buttons - they work magic. My DH and I just celebrated our 20th there. It was wonderful.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:05 AM   #7
marigurl
Earning My Ears

Anywhere I listed a time, I do have an ADR... I was being really indecisive and so there are some cases where I have multiple ADRs and will need to cancel the ones that I don't intend to use.
marigurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: