Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
thumper*
Disney Dreamer

Victoria & Alberts Queen Victorias room

Our 19 yr anniversary dinner at Victoria & Alberts Queen Victorias room

Once we finally find V & A we are immediately greeted in the lobby of another restaurant I think was Citrico’s and as they see us start to walk towards V&A they practically run to the door to open it for us. I’m thinking wow what service are we in for tonight. Walk into V&A and Israel Perez greets us with a Victoria (hostess). We walk past the harp player to the QV room and we are the first of the four tables to have arrived. While only 3 tables were reserved for the nt.

As we sit down one of our servers come over to introduce himself as Dan. Dan pulls out a small ottoman for me to place my evening bag on. Wow that was a first for me.

John then shows up and introduces himself as our second server. Seems we’re getting two Alberts tonight and not a Victoria. I’m not going to remember if it is John or Dan during certain parts of the meal so I’m just going to call them Albert

Albert explains the menu and the wine pairings and leaves us to make our decisions. Albert tells us what to expect of the evening and that at any time we are welcome to get up and take a break if we wish since we will be there approximatly 4 hr's. I mention to Albert that I would like to go out to the dock at 9:25 pm to watch Hallowishes (it was the first nt of MNSHHP). He thought that might be to far and realy discouraged it. After Albert left we marveled at the beauty of the room and the upholstered walls, yes upholstered walls. I have to pull out the camera and take a pic of the plates and forget to get pics of the room and fireplace. We also enjoyed the harpist that was performing right outside of the room.

Albert comes back into the room and takes our order. We had each decided on the wine pairings and we each added on a Lobster Bisque or so we thought. This was a $30 add on.

I told Albert that I collect corks and any cork they had left over from our pairing I would appreciate. So he brings a small silver plate and places it on the table to place the corks on. I thought that was a nice little touch. At this
point I am convinced that this place is over the top.

These plates are for decoration only they remove them as soon as you order.

Albert pops open a bottle of bubbly and pours us each a glass and then offers to take a pic of us.

As we are sipping on our wonderful glasses of Ruinart Blanc de Blancs Brut, Reims Champagne and enjoying the not to sweet or not to dry flavor another table is seated. Mark over heard Albert welcome them back for DH birthday dinner and was glad to hear that they came back a second night in a row. Yes these folks got the incredible opportunity to eat here 2 nt’s in a row. WOW I’m jealous I wish I could afford to do that.
I loved this champagne and would have had a second glass but knew there were many more pairing to come

Our Amuse-Bouche arrives quickly and it looks so good as did everything that came to our table that nt. I had not planned to take pics of the meal so sorry I have none to share for this dish or the next two…..but after that I’ll have some mouth watering photos.
The Amuse_Bouche offered so many delectable delights.
Poached Quail Egg with Galilee Caviar….Mark really enjoyed this me ummm not so much it was ok but not a big fan of the texture of poached eggs.
Popcorn Crusted Diver Scallop….I’m not usually a big scallop fan but this was the best one of my life. Oh my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Smoked Salmon Panna Cotta with Salmon Caviar….very good.
Crispy Buffalo Mozzarella…this was each of our least favorite. It was good but compared to the rest of the offerings it just tasted like plain fried cheese but a little lighter.

Our next pairing was Michel Redde Sancerre “Les Tuilieres”, Loire 2007 which was served with a Caviar Tin of Peek Toe Crab with DeSietra Caviar and Petit Herbs.. I believe this was the point in the meal that they came and prepared fresh croutons tableside. We were able to choose between 3 different exotic Olive Oils and 3 different exotic salts. This was a cold crab salad with the croutons on top

WARNING SPOILER ALERT you might want to scroll down past this set of pics if your wanting a surprise on your visit.

As Albert was clearing our table off he recommended that I might want pics of the entrée that was on the way. I pull my camera out to be on the ready as he pours us our next glass of wine Dr. ZenZen Valwiger Herrenberg Reisling Auslese, Mosel 2003. Albert places a bowl on the table in front of each of us and it has Cold “smoked “ Niman Ranch Lamb with Fuji Apple and Curry Dressing. Albert proceeds to pour small pitchers of Apple Cider Vinegar over the lamb and it starts to………............................................. ...Smoke. It was a really cool effect. This lamb was my favorite course out of 11 courses. It was so tender and flavorful I regretted not cutting it into a ton of tiny pieces and savoring each morsel. I wish there had been more on the plate.

The next pairing was a Sake called Kanbara “Bride of the Fox” Gohyakumangoku Junmai Ginjo, Nigata….I just love this name. This sake is not served hot which is the only way I’ve had it in the past. It was paired with King Salmon. Israel the maitre D prepares this for you tableside. They heat a large piece of Pink Himalayan Salt Rock in the oven and then bring it table side and cook the Salmon on it briefly. Both Mark and I were concerned that I may not appreciate this dish because of the texture of the fish being very pink inside. However, it was Sashimi grade Salmon and was wonderful. I especially liked the dried exotic mushrooms on the top.

It is at this point that they served us our Lobster. We had thought this was a bisque but it was a lobster tail pulled out of the tail and cut and served on a small amount of Lobster Bisque and served with Crème Fresh and caviar. It was good but wasn’t the bisque we thought it would be. Since Mark and I had our first bowl of Lobster Bisque at Fountain Bleu Hotel in Miami we have been on a search for a lobster bisque as good but have been unsuccessful thus far.

Mark and I decide to take a break and take a quick stroll around the second floor. We found a balcony overlooking the beach. Grand Floridian definitely has a beautiful beach and grounds. As we are sitting back down and a Victoria is pulling out my chair for me she asks if I’m chilly and offers a shawl. Surprisingly I wasn’t cold but it was nice to be offered.

We are served Hartford Court Land’s Edge Vineyards Pinot Noir, Sonama Coast 2007 upon our return. We enjoyed this Pinot Noir so well that we each got a second glass and I was surprised that it was only $10 a glass. Our next course was Poulet Rouge with Mushroom-Truffle Ragout and Yellow Chanterelles. This had truffles thinly shaved on top of the egg foam and a drizzle of truffle oil on the food. This was also another good dish….imagine that. LOL. Mark was really interested in the egg white foam and is looking forward to trying this at home. He is a very good cook and with a little training I believe he could be a chef. Of course later in the evening when Chef Hunnel came out to talk to us he had to ask how to make the foam.

We had been anxiously awaiting trying our next entrée which was Minnesota Elk Tenderloin with Braised Red Cabbage Tart. I’ve been wanting to try Elk for several years now. This did not disappoint, it was so tender and flavorful. The Elk was paired with Domaine La Roquete Chateauneuf du Pape, Rhone 2005.

Albert tells us that our next entrée will be the Wagyu beef and I admit to him I’m a little nervous about this. I’d had a bad experience with some Kobe beef in Vegas New Years weekend which kept me in my hotel room for a day. The Wagyu Beef Tenderloin with Oxtail Jus was paired with Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley, 2005. The Wagyu was out of this world and was fork tender. Very yummy but guess it should be when it’s $200 a lb. I doubt I’ll get to try this many times in my life.
Aren’t those baby vegetables so cute? Mark asked Albert how they got the baby vegetables I had to laugh when the answer was they just harvest them while they are still tiny.

I was telling Mark how I had read here on the Dis that someone had made a post about the harpist playing Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd which is my favorite classic rock group. Shortly after this conversation he excuses himself for the restroom. He comes back with a grin on his face. He had went out to talk to the harpist and requested Comfortably Numb. Unfortunately she was new and didn’t know that song. Oh well it was nice that he tried.

I had read many reviews on this board about V& A and someone had said that they just loved the Stilton Cheesecake. When I received a phone call from V&A the week prior to our reservation to confirm I requested the Stilton Cheesecake. The hostess on the phone had not heard of it and kind of acted surprised by such a request. She said that she would note the request but could not guarantee it, which is to be expected IMO. She actually left me with the impression that we would be very lucky to get it.
If anyone has been reading my T.R. then you know how much Pixie Dust we had through out the day. Well it followed through with dinner. When they brought out the Cheese Tray guess what was on it……..that’s right the Stilton Cheesecake. YAY loved it. I can’t remember all of the cheeses that we selected other then the Stilton Cheese cake and blue cheese. They paired the cheeses with biscotti, a date nut bread, candied fruit, candied ginger (I think), a fresh piece of honey comb, macadamia nuts with a lavender glaze, and some tiny grapes. We had never had fresh honeycomb before and it was very good. We also loved the lavender glaze on the macadamias. The cheese course was paired with a port. Quinta do Crasto Late Bottled Vintage Porto 2005, this was by far the sweetest pairing and I had a hard time finishing it. Go figure I use to love port.

At this point the table next to us leaves to go watch the fireworks. I tell Mark I’m slightly disappointed since I had been discouraged early about it. The couple come back in a short time and say that they aren’t going off. I tell them that I believe they are scheduled for 9:30pm. Mark notices that they have given the other gal an ottoman to place her purse on and he says something to me about it. I laugh and have him look on the other side of
our table. He had missed the whole ottoman thing earlier, so of course I have to get a pic of it now.

While waiting for our next course chef Scott Hunnell came out to speak with us. He was a very pleasant man and was very willing to answer Marks many questions….thanks chef for the tips. He was curious as to how I new about the Stilton Cheesecake so I had to tell him about the Dis. I guess that they haven’t made it in the last year since he has been the Chef. We were his first. Lucky us.

It is at this point that Albert said one of the greatest things I’ve ever heard come out of a mans mouth “shortly your 2 deserts courses will be coming out” I said with a huge grin on my face “excuse me did you say 2 deserts”? When he answered yes I told him it was the sweetest thing I’d heard all day.

Our first desert course was called a Tropical Summer Fruit Pave.
It consisted of a light cake with a tropical fruit mouse type topping in a white chocolate cage and a Mango sorbet with pureed mango and candy sculpture. It was good but you can’t beat chocolate which was to be the second desert course.

The coffee service is also very different. It is prepared tableside in an old fashioned glass coffee pot. It consist of two glass pots on top of eachother. The bottom pot has water in it and the top pot has coffee grounds. A sterno flame is lit under the bottom pot and as the water heats up it evaporates and goes up the glass tube up into the top pot with the coffee grounds. It sits up there and perculates together. The heat is removed and when the liquid cools slightly it filters back down the tube into the bottom pot to be served. Pretty cool show.

At this point Isreal comes into the room and takes the other couple out to a private viewing area for the fireworks. I’m disappointed but didn’t ask to go because I wanted them to have their privacy.

The Tanzanie Chocolate Mousse and White Chocolate Gelato are served and I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll be able to eat it. But hey it’s chocolate and I have to give it a try, isn’t that etleast expected for us women. The mousse is served with real gold on the top and the chocolate ribbon it’s served in has Mickey heads stenciled on it. Too cute. The white chocolate gelato is served in chocolate lashes with raspberries. The little glass in the back had some sort of a hot chocolate desert that thickened up quickly.

Well I have given it my all and even finished all of my chocolate desert. When what appears before our wondering eyes …but a huge platter full of candies that the chef had made up. While they looked incredible I really don’t know how I’m going to get anything else down. Mark and I each choose 1 chocolate and Albert ends up putting 2 others on our plates that he felt we had to try. I can’t believe it but I forced my Chocolate Hazelnut candy down and actually had to send the rest of my plate back with candy on it. Oh my isn’t that a sin somewhere.

As we pay the bill Mark has Victoria call down to valet to have the car brought around.
Valet parking is free at V&A’s. Albert presented me with a rose and a bag. The bag contained Orange Date Nut bread which was great for breakfast and our personalized menus from the evening. Thank goodness they gave us menus or there is no way you would have gotten such a detailed review.

So I just loved our meal and hope to do it again someday. Maybe after another couple
of years of eating grill cheese, frozen pizzas, and P.B.&J’s we will return. Even though I almost cancelled this reservation 100 times I’m so glad that we kept it. It wasn’t just a meal it was an Epicurean Experience. I don’t regret the $ spent since there were many things that I got to try that I may never get again, plus the service is exceptional.

Hope enjoyed my review and keep an eye out for my reviews of Cal. Grill and Le Celleir.
You can find a write up on Jiko grill and the sunset safari in my T.R. (link in my siggy)

Sept 2010 AKL Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2562391
Epcot 1991 for honeymoon.....off site
M.K. & Epcot 1985 1'st visit....off site
My Ebay store for Disney stuff..................magsco5 Harley...Smoke...Churchill R.I.P...Winston R.I.P.
thumper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

I'm glad you enjoyed your meal! I haven't tried the Queen Vicki room yet, but I will one of these years.

And there's no need to force down the candy. They will box it up for you.
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
LORI522
Mouseketeer

Great review! Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you!!
LORI522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Krissalee
DIS Veteran

Lovely review! We have been to V&As several times, but I think for our next special event we will book the Queen Victoria room. It looks amazing!
Past Trips: 10/13 BWV (15th Anniversary) 9/13 BWV (Krissy's first solo trip), 11/12 OKW, 10/11 BWV (13th Anniversary), 2/11 SSR (Mom & Dad's 40th Anniversary) , 10/10 SSR (12th Anniversary), 1/10 BWV, 3/09 BWV, 10/08 SSR (10th Anniversary), 10/07 BCV/SSR (9th Anniversary), 10/06 BWV (8th Anniversary), 10/05 BWV (7th Anniversary & Hurricane Wilma), 10/03 BWV (5th Anniversary), 12/02 AKL/YC (my 30th birthday), 3/02 ASM, 10/01 WL (3rd Anniversary), 1999 CBR (Craig's first trip), childhood trips late 70s/early 80s
Krissalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Great review... was your "Albert" named Jack?

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #6
MAYNARDS99
DIS Veteran

The Queen Victoria room is where our favorite table is #21.

I don't know if we can swing the extra expense though...guess someone is going to have to work some overtime!

Yacht Club DEC13
Beach Club concierge (suite upgrade) JAN13
Coronado Springs OCT11 & SEP12
Hilton Bonnet Creek, Royal Pacific (suite upgrade) AsMU SEP10
SSR 1 Bedroom SEP09 (free dining and upgrade)
Wilderness Lodge/Royal Pacific (concierge upgrade) SEP08
Grand Californian DEC07 (theme park view upgrade)
Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou SEP05
Contemporary (MK view Tower Club upgrade) NOV03
Ritz-Carlton NOV03
Portofino Bay Hotel Deluxe NOV01
Polynesian (concierge upgrade) NOV99
Wilderness Lodge Deluxe OCT98
Off Site - Disneyland Paris JUL93
Off Site - WDW JAN88
Contemporary MK view Tower JUL74
MAYNARDS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
thumper*
Disney Dreamer

Glad you all enjoyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink rules View Post
Great review... was your "Albert" named Jack?
Our Alberts were John and Dan.

My Ebay store for Disney stuff..................magsco5 Harley...Smoke...Churchill R.I.P...Winston R.I.P.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Great review! We're eating in the main dining room for our first V & A experience in December. Now, I'm looking forward to it even more!

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
ChildAtHeart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
figmentgirl
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for taking the time to make this trip report. You are correct. I nearly drooled all over myself several times. DH and I have eaten at V&As 3 times and they NEVER disappoint. We have never done the Queens room and now I think we have to.

I cannot believe your husband got up and requested Comfortabley Numb by Pink Floyd from the harpist Something tells me the wine pairing was kicking in!

October 2010 Dolphin
March 2010 Poly
May 2009 Poly
2005 YC
2004 Celebration Hotel
1996 CBR
1994 Poly
1990 Poly
Many trips as a child...
figmentgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
celestialred
Keep the Dr. Pepper flowing or the fluffy bunny bites it!

What a great review!

I had to laugh, I was the one who posted about our harpist playing Comfortably Numb, and I'm just so stoked that someone from the Dis even recalled that!

CSR May 1998-Honeymoon
RPR @ Universal Jan 2007-Work Conference
Renaissance @ SeaWorld Jan 2013-Work Conference Micro-Trip Report Here!
Sep 2013-Back to CSR and First Trip For The Kids - Come check out my PTR here!
celestialred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
plutospal
Terry and Lacy

Great report...I would like to take my wife.. can you give me an idea of what the evening cost?
Thanks!!
plutospal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
Poppinsme
I LOVE SMILEYS

OMG!!

Great review and pics.

We will be at QVR on Dec. 1.

Can't wait.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
jkh1978
DIS Veteran

Anyone there Nov 30?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Cyndibear
I love my DVC's!!!!

Nice!! We usually do V&A every 5th Anniversary. Next one will be 2012!!

Cyndi
Old 10-08-2010, 01:46 AM   #15
thumper*
Disney Dreamer

Sorry about the delay I forgot to subscribe to my own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmentgirl View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to make this trip report. You are correct. I nearly drooled all over myself several times. DH and I have eaten at V&As 3 times and they NEVER disappoint. We have never done the Queens room and now I think we have to.

I cannot believe your husband got up and requested Comfortabley Numb by Pink Floyd from the harpist Something tells me the wine pairing was kicking in!
I'm sure the wine didn't hurt but he would have done it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialred View Post
What a great review!

I had to laugh, I was the one who posted about our harpist playing Comfortably Numb, and I'm just so stoked that someone from the Dis even recalled that!
Hehe I thought it was so great when I read it. They are my favorite classic rock band so it really stood out in my mind. Be happy knowing we were thinking of you when at V&A's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutospal View Post
Great report...I would like to take my wife.. can you give me an idea of what the evening cost?
Thanks!!
2 QV dinners=$400.00
2 QV wine pairing=$190.00
2 special appes (lobster)=$60.00
2 glasses wine=$20.00
grand total w/o tip 713.55
An evening at V&A=priceless

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: