Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #16
gellybean
DIS Veteran

Yeah that 17th of the month OU weekend totally messed up everything this year!

My dad's and nephew's bday is the 11th and most years we all get together to watch the game and celebrate birthdays, but noooooooooooooooo TV scheduling had to interfere this year.

AND we played Tech in September! That was just WRONG!

Thanks for the welcome despite my Hook'em Horns bumper sticker!

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA
Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #17
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

I'm in! I'm curious to know what you thought of WDW during Christmas. I've never been there at that time (we've only gone in Feb, April during Spring Break, and the summer). One of my colleagues is there now (Christmas - New Year's), so it put the idea in my head for a possible future trip. Looking forward to reading more!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninjaís Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #18
Rozz
DIS Veteran

Count me in!

Caribbean Beach Wilderness Lodge WDW Swan WDW Dolphin Regal Sun Carribean Beach POP Century
Old 12-31-2009, 03:24 PM   #19
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellybean View Post
Yeah that 17th of the month OU weekend totally messed up everything this year!

My dad's and nephew's bday is the 11th and most years we all get together to watch the game and celebrate birthdays, but noooooooooooooooo TV scheduling had to interfere this year.

AND we played Tech in September! That was just WRONG!

Thanks for the welcome despite my Hook'em Horns bumper sticker!
My DHs birthday is the 9th, so we are always celebrating his birthday with the game too. It felt really weird this year to have the game be a week a later.

Crazy stuff going on at Tech right now, and I think that train wreck is just starting - things could get very interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
I'm in! I'm curious to know what you thought of WDW during Christmas. I've never been there at that time (we've only gone in Feb, April during Spring Break, and the summer). One of my colleagues is there now (Christmas - New Year's), so it put the idea in my head for a possible future trip. Looking forward to reading more!
Oh, if you've never been at Christmastime you must go! The decorations are amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
Count me in!
Welcome aboard!!

Happy New Year Everyone!!

I'm working on the next update now - should have it up soon
Old 12-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #20
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Since I didnít do a PTR, I thought Iíd include this here.

I began planning this trip about a year in advance, which made the waiting so much harder to take Ė it didnít feel like our trip was ever going to get here! So, I decided to throw a little fun into the waiting. In September we had a 100 days till Disney party. We ordered pizza for dinner (eaten off of Disney paper plates I might add)

And I made Mickey head shaped cookies for dessert.

Jared eagerly awaiting those cookies!

Then we picked out a couple of Disney movies to watch. We ate popcorn out of these super cute popcorn buckets that I bought on line from the Disney store.

And while we were watching the movies we put together a countdown chain with 100 links.

Each link had written on it a piece of WDW trivia and everyday we would take off a chain link and read the trivia.

As we got closer to our trip, I stole an idea from jaycns (thanks Jay for all the inspiration you give!), and made an envelope with a 30 day countdown calendar attached to the outside (I got the countdown calendar from this site: http://disign.mickeysmailbox.com/cc they have so many cute ones!). I bought Disney stickers to place daily on the countdown calendar and inside the envelope I placed things for the kids to do. Little things like, play a Disney board game, pick a Disney movie for the family to watch, tell us about your favorite Disney vacation moments, etc. I had also purchased some pins from the Laughing Place Store, so several of the items just said Ďpick a pin from the grab bagí. The boys would alternate picking an activity from the envelope each day. It was a fun and exciting way to build up to the trip, and when our calendar looked like this

we knew it was time to go!

On December 18th, I took the boys to school, met my girlfriend for our morning walk, went home, showered, decided that I needed a new pair of jeans (Iíve recently lost some weight and most of my jeans are too big), remembered that Jared didnít like what they were eating at school that day and I was supposed to bring him lunch, AND I still needed to pack and only had a few hours left to do everything! First things first, I made Jaredís lunch and Don & I took it up to him. Then we ran to the store for both of us to get some jeans, got some lunch and finally headed home so that I could finish packing. I was rushing to get it all done, and felt like I was forgetting something but I couldnít put my finger on what it was. I finally gave up and Don loaded all the suitcases and the dog into the car.

We went to Justinís school and picked him up; he had had semester tests for the last two days and was very ready for a break! (Isnít that nice of them to schedule semester tests the day before Christmas break?! Ė I guess thatís one way to make sure they are all in school!) After Justin was in the car we headed over to Jaredís school and checked him out a bit early (Justin gets out an hour before Jared), then it was off to Grandmaís to drop off the dog, and then we were headed south to Dallas. Iíve found that we can get much better travel times leaving from Dallas, and itís only a 2 Ĺ -3 hr drive for us to get there. Of course, given the time of day that we left I was afraid we would get stuck in rush hour traffic Ė rush hour in Dallas = stress & frustration!!

Sure enough, not long after we hit Denton (about 20 miles outside of Dallas) this is what we saw:

It actually could have been much worse than what we ran into, it was congested the rest of the way, but thankfully not horrible! We got settled into our hotel for the night and decided to take the boys to Rainforest Cafť for dinner.

This is only the 2nd time we have eaten here and this time was much like the last. Average food for an above average price. The boys enjoyed it though and I guess thatís what mattered!

Jared took this one of the ceiling - he thought it was very cool!

After dinner we headed back to the hotel. And we had two very excited boys on our hands.

They were all over the place, and I kept having to remind them that we were in a hotel where people try to sleep and the beds were not there for them to wrestle on, but to sleep on......

While getting ready for bed it hit me that what I had forgotten were our Magical Express transfers, and not only that, I had forgotten to put my TAs phone number into my cell Ė uggggg! I did have the number for Disney travel, so I called them and was on hold FOREVER, really it was about 30-40 minutes, but it felt like forever! The CM I spoke to told me it was no big deal, just to let them know I had left the booklet at home and give them my name Ė nothing to worry about. Whew! Crisis averted, I tried to go to sleep, but the boys were so excited and giggly that I was finding that hard to do. Finally at 11:00 I had to be the mean mommy and squash the excitement Ė the alarm was set for 4am!

Up Next: We finally arrive in WDW!!

Old 12-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #21
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

Hi Michelle!! I'm joining in on your Christmas TR!! I can't wait to hear about Disney at Christmastime as we are going next year!! GREAT first updates--love the countdown chain and calendar!! And I know what you mean about Dallas traffic--we were down in Dallas visiting my sister-in-law over the summer. We got stuck in traffic and it took us almost 2 hours to get back to her house! Ugggh!! Can't wait to read more!!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
marsa1969
Can we go to Disney yet??

The last time we went to Disney we drove to Dallas. All was going well with the drive until it was time to turn to go the airport. They were redoing the interstate so we went on the BUSY highway through town after town. We thought we would be late for our flight. So happy now Alleigant flies out of XNA for dirt cheap fairs!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
JenAusty
Mrs. Incredible

I'm joining! =D I love the mickey cookies!

And I love rainforest cafe.. even though I agree with the average food. The best food I ever had at a rainforest was in disney world-AK. hmm. Looking forward to more about your trip during Christmas time!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #24
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

I love the 100-day party! Those popcorn buckets are really cute. I always look at popcorn buckets, but since I don't live on my own yet or have a family, I don't see the need to get them at this point. I do really want them when I have my own family though!

The chain is a great idea too! I love that you used Mickey colors to do it. What kind of trivia did you include? Sounds like a fun family I can't wait to do all these things with my own!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninjaís Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #25
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Love the 100 day party idea! Looks like a busy travel day. My friend lives outside of Dallas-yucky traffic!!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #26
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

I'm in, I followed you over from Kristen's (Traded my stroller for a wheelchair report).

I love the 100 day party as my 100 day is coming up soon. I may have to borrow that idea.

Can't wait to read more. I have been reading all this trip reports now that Christmas is over I am in Disney mode.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #27
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I love reading what people think of Christmas trips so I'm joining in. Like you we have two boys...very similar to yours...one very serious, one a total goof (but ours are now 24 and 21!). I love the Grumpy shirt; my DH loves Disney and Grumpy. I may have to get that shirt for him when I take him to a chick flick. Looking forward to the next installment.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #28
aaaateamsgrandma
DIS Veteran

I am chiming in. A little late but here. I have chatted with you before. I live in SW MO. The big suburb nw of Branson. I love Jay. I think she is so full of wonderful ideas and a great mom to be able to give what she does with her boys. My oldest son in law is from Texas (we try to not hold that against him) and my younger son in law is from Arkansas. It's not pretty when they are together. They are all together this weekend in Tennessee celebrating the New Year. We stayed home to enjoy the quiet.

I love your chain and countdown calendar. Your boys look so cute. I have 2 grandson's that live a few blocks from me. They are 18 and 15. Another grandson in Nashville is 11.

I would love,love,love to see Disney at Christmas. I don't think it will happen for some time yet. So I will live it thru you.

Happy New Year

Ginny

Follow this link to see my TR. Rain, Surprise Birthdays, Rain, First Visits and did I mention Rain?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2211283&
Old 01-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #29
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
Hi Michelle!! I'm joining in on your Christmas TR!! I can't wait to hear about Disney at Christmastime as we are going next year!! GREAT first updates--love the countdown chain and calendar!! And I know what you mean about Dallas traffic--we were down in Dallas visiting my sister-in-law over the summer. We got stuck in traffic and it took us almost 2 hours to get back to her house! Ugggh!! Can't wait to read more!!
Hey there! Glad you're here. You are going to love Disney at Christmastime - so magical.

Stuck in traffic for 2 hours? - Ugggg! I've been stuck in it a couple of times and it's just awful. Don travels to Dallas alot for work and has a pretty good grasp of the roads down there and he is more used to being in that mess than I am - doesn't bother him nearly as much. But it makes me crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsa1969 View Post
The last time we went to Disney we drove to Dallas. All was going well with the drive until it was time to turn to go the airport. They were redoing the interstate so we went on the BUSY highway through town after town. We thought we would be late for our flight. So happy now Alleigant flies out of XNA for dirt cheap fairs!
Yeah, I don't know if I would have been brave enough to drive down the same day that I was flying out. Glad you made it, and even more glad that you don't have to mess with that anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAusty View Post
I'm joining! =D I love the mickey cookies!

And I love rainforest cafe.. even though I agree with the average food. The best food I ever had at a rainforest was in disney world-AK. hmm. Looking forward to more about your trip during Christmas time!
Glad you're here!

Quote:
I love the 100-day party! Those popcorn buckets are really cute. I always look at popcorn buckets, but since I don't live on my own yet or have a family, I don't see the need to get them at this point. I do really want them when I have my own family though!
I love the popcorn buckets! I had looked at them several times and never bought them, just thought they were something that I didn't need to waste money on. But when I decided to do the countdown party it was apparent that I needed them.

Quote:
The chain is a great idea too! I love that you used Mickey colors to do it. What kind of trivia did you include? Sounds like a fun family I can't wait to do all these things with my own!
I got little bits of trivia from all over. I bought a book that was full of little details, like the meaning behind numbers or names on certain props in different attractions, some of it I got from just googling "Walt Disney World Trivia", and I also filled in with just some question & answer type stuff that I stole from our Disney Trival Pursuit game It took awhile to come up with the list and make the strips, but we had a really good time with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
Love the 100 day party idea! Looks like a busy travel day. My friend lives outside of Dallas-yucky traffic!!
Busy indeed, but aren't they always? I never feel like I'm 100% ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
I'm in, I followed you over from Kristen's (Traded my stroller for a wheelchair report).

I love the 100 day party as my 100 day is coming up soon. I may have to borrow that idea.

Can't wait to read more. I have been reading all this trip reports now that Christmas is over I am in Disney mode.
Hi! Glad you came over. Poor Kristen, she sure has been struggling lately, hasn't she.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I love reading what people think of Christmas trips so I'm joining in. Like you we have two boys...very similar to yours...one very serious, one a total goof (but ours are now 24 and 21!). I love the Grumpy shirt; my DH loves Disney and Grumpy. I may have to get that shirt for him when I take him to a chick flick. Looking forward to the next installment.
Hi & so glad to have you aboard!

Isn't it funny how siblings can be so different? I'm just hoping my youngest lives to be 21 like yours is I need to figure out a way to instill and little fear & caution into that child!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaateamsgrandma View Post
I am chiming in. A little late but here. I have chatted with you before. I live in SW MO. The big suburb nw of Branson. I love Jay. I think she is so full of wonderful ideas and a great mom to be able to give what she does with her boys. My oldest son in law is from Texas (we try to not hold that against him) and my younger son in law is from Arkansas. It's not pretty when they are together. They are all together this weekend in Tennessee celebrating the New Year. We stayed home to enjoy the quiet.

I love your chain and countdown calendar. Your boys look so cute. I have 2 grandson's that live a few blocks from me. They are 18 and 15. Another grandson in Nashville is 11.

I would love,love,love to see Disney at Christmas. I don't think it will happen for some time yet. So I will live it thru you.

Happy New Year

Ginny
Hi Ginny Glad you came over. I remember chatting with you on Jay's TR. I adore Jay too, the world would be a much better place if we could all be like her!

That's so nice that you have at least a couple of your grandkids that live close to you. I bet they are fun to have around.

Happy New Year to you as well!
Old 01-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #30
gellybean
DIS Veteran

Glad that Dallas had better flights for you guys. I always check Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin when we fly out. One year we drove to Houston, paid for a hotel for one night that had free parking/shuttle to the Houston Hobby airport and saved 500$ off our airfare had we flown out of Austin!

Gotta love pre-Disney excitement! I've had to squash it a few times and hope to have to squash it many more times in the future!

Great update!

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: