Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
dsny1mom
DIS Veteran

BEWARE: Disney Deliver Ears

Not sure if this is the best spot to post this, so Mod feel free to move if you see fit.

I received a call from Disney Visa Fraud department today. I was asked if I had made over $1000 worth of charges in New York on Dec 20th. Of course I had not.

I was asked the last time I used the CC and told them the last time I had used it for a purchase was at DLR the end of Oct. Then I remembered I had returned something to Deliver Ears the beginning of Dec that I had purchased on my Disney Visa while at DL. Along with the return I included my CC number so they could creidt my account.

The fraud dept associate then told me the credit from Deliver Ears was made to my account on Dec 19th. The next thing she said was, "Oh My".

It is pretty obvious that my CC number was sold or somehow given out from or through Deliver Ears. I got my $40 something credit but Disney Visa now has to eat $1000 in losses.

I told the fraud rep that I did as I was instructed by Deliver Ears to mail my return and include my CC number along with the receipt. She said I did nothing wrong but the fact the credit was made by Deliver Ears the day before the fraud began was certainly more than a mere coincidence.

Just thought I should give others a heads up and a kind of conformation that CC numbers are being compromised through Deliver Ears.

dsny1mom
dsny1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
karensi
Taking grandchildren to WDW will be a magical experience!

Sorry this has happened to you...but, what is Deliver Ears?

Karen
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

That is the DisneyLand mail order department.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

The card number coud have been hijakced anywhere, not just at Deliver Ears.

Heard in the news today (12/30/09) about someone sentenced to 25 yrears in jail for running a massive credit card number stealing and identity theft ring.

If you see a bogus charge from a company or store you never heard of,you may dispute the charge immediately with your credit card company without dealing with the company or store first in good faith.
Today's riddle: Q: Why are there these 20 foot timber or stucco walls between the freeway and people's back yards? A: So people living there don't put up huge Christmas light displays and distract passing motorists.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Blue.Fairy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
The card number coud have been hijakced anywhere, not just at Deliver Ears.

Heard in the news today (12/30/09) about someone sentenced to 25 yrears in jail for running a massive credit card number stealing and identity theft ring.

If you see a bogus charge from a company or store you never heard of,you may dispute the charge immediately with your credit card company without dealing with the company or store first in good faith.
more than likely it was Deliver Ears system being compromised.

This happened to me when I made a purchase from EA games one Christmas, USAA caught it after 3 charges since they were appearing from all over the globe.
code: 0560-5671-2716

City Folk GAME GUIDE ON SALE AT GAME STOP 9.99

Free Apps and Music for iPhone and ipod touch
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330141
Blue.Fairy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
kbheap
Mouseketeer

I will tell you that I had one of my credit card companies fraud dept call me with same scenario (card was used for big purchase, when was last time I used it, etc). I informed them I would call them back to give me their phone number. They did. I then immediately called the number on the back of my credit card, not the number they gave me, and the credit card company told me they did not have a fraud investigation open on my account. That the caller was fishing for information so that he could make purchases with that info. Just a heads up and FYI. If you haven't already, I would call the number on the card to verify the information.
kbheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Blue.Fairy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbheap View Post
I will tell you that I had one of my credit card companies fraud dept call me with same scenario (card was used for big purchase, when was last time I used it, etc). I informed them I would call them back to give me their phone number. They did. I then immediately called the number on the back of my credit card, not the number they gave me, and the credit card company told me they did not have a fraud investigation open on my account. That the caller was fishing for information so that he could make purchases with that info. Just a heads up and FYI. If you haven't already, I would call the number on the card to verify the information.
did he have your CC number?
code: 0560-5671-2716

City Folk GAME GUIDE ON SALE AT GAME STOP 9.99

Free Apps and Music for iPhone and ipod touch
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330141
Blue.Fairy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
mantaz
I just thought my computer was tired of dissing

It does seem wierd that they would call 10 days later about fraud activity. When I had my card stolen, DV called the same day asking about the activity of $400. You should look up your account online if you have it as the account should have the details of where the purchase occured and amount.

mantaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
Toad_Passenger
Wild Ride Dreamer

Yeah I would be highly suspicious of the first call. We've had credit card problems arise and we were notified within 24-48 hours of the suspicious activity. Disney/Chase are on top of things, and I can't imagine they would wait almost 10 days to contact you.

I would follow the advice already given and logon to Chase's online account and check the activity, or call the number on the card right away.

My WDW visits:
Ft. Wilderness Campground - 1986
Polynesian - 1989, 1991, 1998
Off-Site - 1995
Wilderness Lodge - 2002 (Honeymoon), 2011
PO Riverside - 2003, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015
Toad_Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
wdwfan16
DIS Veteran

We had a CC stolen. We charged $X and then had a charge for airline tickets (a common charge) for $Y. $X + $Y was equal to our credit limit. We got a call from our CC within hours of the Y charge. They did not ask us for personal information but asked if it was our purchase. We said yes to X and no to Y. They immediately canceled the ticket order and canceled the card.
wdwfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
dsny1mom
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for your great ideas to make sure it was the fraud dept. that called me.

I called the number on the back of the card when I got the message, so I know I was talking to Disney Visa.

I know the package made it to Deliver Ears uopened as I had a receipt conformation on it.

I don't know exactly how my number got compromised but with the fraudulent charges starting the day after the credit from Deliver Ears my better judgement says it had something to do with Deliver Ears. From the conversation with the fraud dept it sounds like they feel the same way.

Not sure why they didn't catch it sooner. I called them before my trip to DLR so no red flags would go up when I used it there. You'd think red flags would have gone up when charges started appearing from NY when I live in the midwest. Maybe they are so swamped with this sort of problem it took them 8days to get around to my account.

All's good for me now. I just wanted to alert others.

dsny1mom
dsny1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #12
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsny1mom View Post
Thanks everyone for your great ideas to make sure it was the fraud dept. that called me.

I called the number on the back of the card when I got the message, so I know I was talking to Disney Visa.

I know the package made it to Deliver Ears uopened as I had a receipt conformation on it.

I don't know exactly how my number got compromised but with the fraudulent charges starting the day after the credit from Deliver Ears my better judgement says it had something to do with Deliver Ears. From the conversation with the fraud dept it sounds like they feel the same way.

Not sure why they didn't catch it sooner. I called them before my trip to DLR so no red flags would go up when I used it there. You'd think red flags would have gone up when charges started appearing from NY when I live in the midwest. Maybe they are so swamped with this sort of problem it took them 8days to get around to my account.

All's good for me now. I just wanted to alert others.

dsny1mom
Actually I read online that in many cases they start to use stolen info months after they get it to avoid suspesion, so it can be anyone.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:46 AM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
Actually I read online that in many cases they start to use stolen info months after they get it to avoid suspesion, so it can be anyone.
Yep.

DeliverEars is in CA, yes? So there's either someone incredibly savvy in CA, getting all the info out to NY people so the NY people can make a card and use it inside of 24 hours...or it's perhaps been stolen from another place.

This situation is why places aren't supposed to cast suspicion on other places. If someone snags your CC and account info on amazon, and makes orders, the CS rep is absolutely forbidden from telling you the shipping address it's going to, so that you don't go out there and kill the person. And the person on the phone should never EVER have cast suspicion on DE, b/c who knows what you or another person might do! If they are innocent, this is an awful thread. If they are guilty, you are giving the bad employee a HUGE head's up to cover their tracks and disappear. Not good, either way.

The info was probably stolen months ago, sold to some place in a far away country, and is just now starting to be used...most likely...

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:45 AM   #14
happymommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbheap View Post
I did the same thing recently! I got a text to my cell phone, so I instead called the number on the back of my card. Turned out, though, they WERE wanting to talk to me about a couple of strange charges. That time, they were charges I had made, so it was all okay.

I did, though, have my amex number stolen the same week I was at Disneyworld once. They also had my billing address. I got a call from amex, filed a police report, did some sleuthing on my own as to the charges (two online airplane tix purchases, plus one online travel agency hotel stay, got the person's name for the hotel stay), and (drumroll please...........)

Got a call from a different state police dept a couple of months later (thanks to filing a police report) and it was an investigator - they arrested the person! It was a whole ring, so the odds that one of them would be arrested was slim to none. I was so happy that they caught the guy! I literally spent a whole day doing my own research into the 3 charges, which paid off.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
wdwfan16
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
Not in our case. The card was stolen, replaced, used once and stolen again in 2-3 months. The time from the used once and the airline charge was 1 day.
wdwfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: