Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 10:30 PM   #121
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

Sheree what a fabulous trip report.... the photos and the details are great.... I can't wait to read more.... (just waiting up for the kids to come home now...) Sounds like the beginning of your trip was wonderful!

Old 01-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #122
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

I LOVED the resort tour!! What a great idea--I'll have to remember that for our trip! I can't WAIT to see pics of AKL all decorated for Christmas!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #123
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

I was a couple of updates behind but I have caught up this morning.

Wow, look at all that driving you did! That is so awesome. It gives me hope for when Marc & I decide to drive down.

The Swan looks beautiful! I would totally stay there someday. Gotta love all those light fixtures too.

Love all the Christmas decorations, that is something that I would try to do if I ever get to go on a Christmas time trip.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #124
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

Hi Sheree~~

What a wonderful job you're doing with your TR!
I especially enjoyed seeing the resort pictures-- it's helping to pass the time in this cold weather we're having.

Looking forward to seeing where you ate!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #125
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

You did an awesome job driving straight through!

The Swan looks beautiful, and those beds are huge!

Thanks for the picture tour of the Epcot resorts--we are huge Beach Club fans!

Can't wait to read about checking into AKL!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #126
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Great update Sheree!

How fun that you got to tour the BW area resorts and see all those Christmas decorations. I think we missed them by a week or two. Thanks so much for sharing your pics! I just love the BW area.

Can't wait for the DTD update ~ Another one of my favorite places!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #127
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Great trip report so far!!! I cn't wait to read more once the family comes and joins you!!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #128
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGGIED View Post
Sheree what a fabulous trip report.... the photos and the details are great.... I can't wait to read more.... (just waiting up for the kids to come home now...) Sounds like the beginning of your trip was wonderful!
Thanks! I hope you didn't have to stay up too late! I'd say most of our trip was wonderful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
I LOVED the resort tour!! What a great idea--I'll have to remember that for our trip! I can't WAIT to see pics of AKL all decorated for Christmas!!
It was fun to see all those great decorations! AKL will be coming soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I was a couple of updates behind but I have caught up this morning.

Wow, look at all that driving you did! That is so awesome. It gives me hope for when Marc & I decide to drive down.

The Swan looks beautiful! I would totally stay there someday. Gotta love all those light fixtures too.

Love all the Christmas decorations, that is something that I would try to do if I ever get to go on a Christmas time trip.
Yeah, that driving thing... UGH. But it is definitely doable. We've done it many times. I hope you get a Christmas time trip - it was quite magical for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBird View Post
Hi Sheree~~

What a wonderful job you're doing with your TR!
I especially enjoyed seeing the resort pictures-- it's helping to pass the time in this cold weather we're having.

Looking forward to seeing where you ate!
Glad I can help with that weather issue! Lots of yummy food will be discussed in this TR!
Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
You did an awesome job driving straight through!

The Swan looks beautiful, and those beds are huge!

Thanks for the picture tour of the Epcot resorts--we are huge Beach Club fans!

Can't wait to read about checking into AKL!
Yeah - it was all DH on the driving - got to give credit where credit is due. I was probably the worst traveler in the family, but I just kept thinking we would get to WDW faster!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Great update Sheree!

How fun that you got to tour the BW area resorts and see all those Christmas decorations. I think we missed them by a week or two. Thanks so much for sharing your pics! I just love the BW area.

Can't wait for the DTD update ~ Another one of my favorite places!
Oh that BW/BC/YC area is so wonderful!! Someday I'm going to stay at all of them! DTD is always so fun! Maybe it's because I get to shop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
Great trip report so far!!! I cn't wait to read more once the family comes and joins you!!
Oh, it does get more interesting when the rest of the gang shows up!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #129
Panotchr
Mouseketeer

Your tour of the resorts is the best. I want to do that next Christmas!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #130
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

DTD - how many ornaments do we need?

We decided we would drive to DTD from AKL thinking that would be quicker and easier. We still had our car loaded up with our luggage, but I figured we could throw our shopping bags on top of the kids! LOL
So we followed the handy signs. Once we got to the first parking lot, we noticed a lot of traffic and the lots were pretty full! We went all the way down to the one nearest the bus stops for marketplace. BAD IDEA!!!
There was a jillion people!! Lots of cars trying to find a non-existent empty spot! So we promptly left that parking lot and went back to the middle section near Planet Hollywood.

We entered DTD near Raglan Road, which I had never actually seen before! We usually don't walk beyond the Marketplace.
We saw some cute decorations and found this guy:

They had the store windows decorated all cute with Christmas decor too.

I had decided (yes I was the dictator on dining plans, remember?) that we would try to have lunch at Earl of Sandwich. I hoped it wasn't too crowded, but thought we should wait until later to eat to avoid the crowds. So we wandered around a bit. Since it was chilly we thought a hot chocolate might hit the spot. Ghiradelli was calling! We went in - HUGE line!! They were sampling some yummy peppermint chocolate something so I got that and left the store with the girls while Dave waited in line. I can't imagine too many people were getting ice cream that day!
Sorry no pictures of our yummy rich and creamy hot chocolate!
(man, that sounds good right about now!!)

Once we had our hot chocolate in hand, it was shopping time!! I really wanted to hit TrenD and of course I had to find a Christmas ornament. Then I wanted to go to Basin and get some soaps for gifts (and maybe for us too).
It didn't seem too crowded at first, but it was a cool Saturday 3 weeks before Christmas, at lunch time no less, so it did get busy. World of Disney was crammed!!

Sarah was trying to have Stitch spit on her despite her mother's warning that it was a bit cold to get wet! Didn't happen anyway.

Santa was seeing children behind this little house near Basin. At one point the lines weren't very long and I wanted to have the girls go see him, but they wanted to wait and see him back home at "our mall". Of course, we managed to do that about a week before Christmas after standing in line for over 30 minutes! ARGH!

Okay, off to shop! TrenD is a cool store - lots of peace sign stuff, so Sarah was happy. She'd been wanting the Hidden Mickeys book and found it there. But I made her wait and get it at World of Disney since we got the discount with our Visa.

I must have been distracted shopping while he did this!
There was so much cool stuff there. The girls wanted every piece of jewelry with peace signs and I was eyeing some cute handbags. But we walked out having not purchased anything!! Can you believe it?

We hit WoD next. I had to buy an ornament for my mom to give to her neighbor. Found a cute Mickey head with the flag on it. Perfect since their son is in the military in Afgahnistan. Of course I found a few things for us too. Dave spotted this - Paige liked it too!

It's made of jingle bells!! Yup, we bought it!
I was also looking for some CDs. I wanted Four Parks One World, but they were out. I figured I could find that somewhere else. So I ended up buying the wreath, the Wishes CD, the Hidden Mickey book, a set of red, white, silver and green Mickey head ornaments, a mirrored Mickey shaped ornament that says 2009 and some jewelry that the girls picked out to give to their respective best friends.

I did take pictures of all these things, but haven't got them into photobucket, so that will be forthcoming.
We then headed to Basin!! Oh, how I love the smell of this place!
At first one of the girls looked at all the bath bombs and thought it was food. (I can't remember which kid! Probably Paige)
We spent at least a half hour sniffing all the soaps and ended up buying a bar of soap for each of the girls' teachers, two for us and one for grandma (Gardenia). We also let the girls pick out a bath bomb. I don't know the name of the scent, but it's fabulous! We smashed it into smaller pieces so they could each use some - a little at a time- to make it last longer.

We still hadn't gotten the text from AKL, so we headed to EOS for lunch.
I got the Italian, the girls each got PB&J and Dave got a kids turkey & swiss. we shared a soda and a bottle of water. Total was $23.54 with tax and we paid OOP according to my receipt. (yes I saved all of them!)
Here's my sandwich

OOOH, that was so yummy!! Really quite simple, but delish! Must be the Italian dressing and that it was warm. I didn't take pictures of the others. They're kind of boring.
We finished lunch, hit the memories store - I bought a journal since I didn't remember to bring one from home. Then we went to the Christmas store and got Santa hats with Mickey ears. Well, Dave did, the girls and I got the Minnie ones with the bow in front!!

Then FINALLY after 3:30, we got the text that our room was ready!! WOOHOO!
We high tailed it to the parking lot. But there was a small problem...
Old 01-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #131
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

I forgot one more thing about DTD - when we were in the memories store (where you can make ears and t-shirts, we wandered to the Art of Disney. We saw Robert Olszewski signing pieces! If you are a podcast listener, you know Pete is a big fan. His stuff is really amazing, but we did not buy any. He does figures of Disney stuff and makes little pill boxes. Very cool.

Okay - have to go eat dinner. I'll finish this DTD and head to AKL tonight!!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #133
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

what was the problem..... you can't leave us hanging.... where are you....lol...

Old 01-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #134
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Okay, I won't leave you hanging. I had to eat you know!

We had a little trouble finding our car. I remembered that we entered near Planet Hollywood. But I sort of forgot that we had walked about half the length (or would it be width?) of the parking lot first! We knew Dave had stopped by a trash can on the sidewalk before catching up to us, so we wandered back that way and eventually found Pearl.

Now, when we first were driving to AKL, Sarah seemed less than thrilled with our surprise resort. But when we went to our room and saw the bunk beds and view of the savanna, she changed her tune pretty quickly!!
We only brought up our overnight bag and one other bag since we were only staying one night. All our shopping stuff also stayed in the car. Which meant my journal stayed in the car. I had been keeping a lot of notes in my iPhone and on a random sheet of notebook paper in my binder.

Paige leading the way in!

Our Room 4467

Look what was waiting for us!

More room pics

cool shower curtain huh?

A little FYI aside - Angel Soft toilet paper!!! And fabulous H2O toiletries in the bathroom too!

My favorite part of this room:
Our BALCONY!!!

Coming in next post - the view from said balcony
Old 01-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #135
manntra
DIS Veteran

Fun time in DTD! Congratulations on getting making it out of TrenD without spending any money. I wasn't so lucky!!

Great idea with the bath bombs at Basin! I can't wait to hit that store up again!

Your sandwich looks yummy even though I just ate! That is the second TR I have seen EOS pics on today making me hungry!!!

Tracy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: