Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #76
manntra
DIS Veteran

about the *
Yes a lot of people were very creative with their doors on the cruise! Ours looked pretty good if I do say so myself It was pretty much covered and I overheard these little boys that were staying a few cabins down asking why they didn't have anything on their door (I wouldn't have known except for the Dis) so one day when I saw them leave I transferred a bunch of my Mickey Heads and other pictures to their door.

Tracy
Old 01-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #77
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
The plan was to rush home (well me, since I'm last to get home) and quick change clothes and pee, and hit the road. Did it go as planned???...
So, I am just dying to know.........were you able to pee and change at the same time!!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #78
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Disney Girl View Post
So, I am just dying to know.........were you able to pee and change at the same time!!!

I am a woman of many talents.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #80
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
about the *
Yes a lot of people were very creative with their doors on the cruise! Ours looked pretty good if I do say so myself It was pretty much covered and I overheard these little boys that were staying a few cabins down asking why they didn't have anything on their door (I wouldn't have known except for the Dis) so one day when I saw them leave I transferred a bunch of my Mickey Heads and other pictures to their door.

Tracy
Yes, I figured if I didn't fix the * problem I'd lose a few (or all) of my readers because it would make people nuts!

That's nice about the cruise door decorations - we DISers are very sweet aren't we? It's all about sharing the magic!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:14 AM   #81
Pluto_fan
DIS Veteran

I'm here, Sheree! Trying to catch up on my DISing now that the boys (including DH!) are out of the house.

I'm enjoying your report so far! Add me to those who are in awe of your planning for such a big group! Can't wait to hear how it all went!

Hey, we also have a bun-warming Passat But it's DH's car; I get the minivan.
Disneyland Aug 2006, daytrip Mar 1989, daytrip Jun 1985, daytrip
Old 01-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #82
MagicalKingdom
DIS Veteran

' yes!..agreed to all of you guys!..( we as DISers are very sweet!...)continue spreading the magic of Disney!.....
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #83
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto_fan View Post
I'm here, Sheree! Trying to catch up on my DISing now that the boys (including DH!) are out of the house.

I'm enjoying your report so far! Add me to those who are in awe of your planning for such a big group! Can't wait to hear how it all went!

Hey, we also have a bun-warming Passat But it's DH's car; I get the minivan.
Thanks for coming!! Next installment is coming up. We used to have a minivan too, and I would always make DH drive it!! The Passat is WAY more fun!! I wanted to be the cool mom, not the minivan mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalKingdom View Post
' yes!..agreed to all of you guys!..( we as DISers are very sweet!...)continue spreading the magic of Disney!.....
More Disney magic coming right up!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #84
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

On the road...finally

Thursday 12/3
So I got home a little early (all of a half hour) and the kids were eating a sandwich. They already had bathed and put on their jammies! So I went upstairs to change and pee (yes, at the same time!!) I managed to do it too! Put on my comfy travel clothes (i.e. yoga pants), took out my contacts, put on my glasses instead and said, "I'm ready!".

The car was loaded (I wish I had a picture of that!), the kids had their bags of fun, books, homework, pillows, drinks and DS games. We had given Paige her DS as an early Christmas present so she could have her own on the way to FL. We had the movie player all rigged up on the backs of our seats and the girls had picked out their first movie. I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

At 5:30 p.m., CST, we were ON OUR WAY!!!! Of course, it was dark out already so I was hoping the girls would sleep. They did not. They chatted for hours!! Even watching a movie. DH was raring to go - I think we were all so excited! The weather was great - no snow in the forecast for our route. We decided to drive for a while and if the stars were all aligned, we might not stop that night. (YIKES!!)
We drove to Tomah WI and stopped at the McDonald's there like we usually do. Got a little bite to eat and told the kids, they could sleep. They didn't.

We kept driving...

We crossed into Illinois. We like to stop and get gas before getting too far into Chicago because there's just nowhere to stop. Plus traffic is so busy/scary/fast.
So we stopped at the Belvidere Oasis. It's actually really nice - gas station and a big "plaza" with a bunch of food places and nice bathrooms. It goes right over the highway so you don't really have to get off.
Sorry I took NO pictures of the traveling, the car or anything on the way down. The camera was in the way back and well, it was dark.

The kids fell asleep, although it's not too comfy to sleep in the car and they were kind of squirmy, they slept and slept and slept. I, on the other hand, was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open, but I had a job to do. When you drive through Illinois, there are LOTS of toll booths. Dave would drive and I would dig out change every couple miles for tolls. .80 here, $1.00 here, $1.60 there...So no sleeping for me yet.
I kept asking him if he wanted to stop (mostly because I don't like sleeping in the car, and I couldn't recline my seat with the movie thing hooked up). But he said he was fine and we kept going.

and going.

and going.

I did get to doze off and missed most of Indiana. When the sun was coming up, we were in Kentucky!!

The girls woke up and we told them we'd been through four states already. I don't think they believed us. Funny thing - it was still quite chilly in KY. We stopped at a McDonald's for breakfast (see why I like to eat at TS in WDW?) and I think I drove for a few hours.
We probably only hit one rest stop between breakfast and lunch. We stopped in Georgia near Macon for lunch. At Wendy's! Not McDonald's!! Right next to the Wendy's there was a Sonny's BBQ - Dave LOVES Sonny's and we don't have them up north. So he walked over there and got BBQ and brought it to Wendy's. Aren't we the classy bunch?

Okay - Dave drives the rest of the way. Fast forward. It's around 5 p.m. By the time we got to Valdosta, it had started raining. Should we stop? Where? We could get to WDW in a few hours. Or we could stop and get a full night's sleep and be fresh and ready on Saturday.
Who ya gonna call????

Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #85
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

YAY!! You're on the road!! Can't wait to read more!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #86
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

another resort!

Here's who I called:

1-407-939-6244

Anyone know that number???

Yup, I called Disney reservations!! We thought maybe we could get a one night stay at a value. Well, you all know how they have that automated crap where the lovely lady says, "I just need some information" and proceeds to ask you thirty seven questions. So we go through all that nonsense and then it comes time to say and spell my last name. Oh boy. Well, unless your last name is Smith, they don't get it. My last name has 9 letters, including 2 Zs. They didn't get it. I tried 3 times and then my phone cut out. Disconnected. Crap. So I mutter some choice words under my breath (the kids were in the back seat laughing at me trying to spell our name loudly and clearly!) and then I called back and started ALL OVER!! At the point of having to spell my name again, I simply said, "operator please" and the lovely lady said, "Okay, just one moment". I got a great CM, whose name I basically ignored, and asked for any room at any value. Sorry Sheree, sold out (). Oh yeah, Pop Warner probably just arrived! Okay, anything at POR or POFQ? Sure if you want to pay rack rate. No, not so much. Then DH is yapping in my ear, Hey, how about the Swan/Dolphin?? They have government discounts! --(we both work for government) But he likes to say "Schwan" for some reason (probably because he knows it bugs me!). I have heard that if you stay at the Swan or Dolphin, you can get a discount basically for anything - government, military, teacher, janitor, walking upright...
So I ask nice no-name CM - can you check Swan/Dolpin. No Sheree, sorry - you have to call someone else, especially if you want a discount. But he was able to transfer me.

Keep in mind it's pouring rain and it's getting dark too. I can barely hear because of the noise, and the kids don't understand that when someone is on the phone you do not sing, yell and fight.
So I get through and chat with someone at Swan and they have a room with a government discount. It's actually more than POR would have been, but hey, who cares?? It's more of a deluxe! And we've never stayed there. So I rattle off the Visa number which I have memorized and tell them we'll be there in a couple hours.

WOOT!! We are driving straight through and get an extra day at WDW and get to stay at the SWAN!!!

So we get three resorts on this trip!!

We arrive at the Swan by 8. Check in is a breeze. It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! I have lots of pictures:

The girls were sitting like ladies - mostly so Sarah could cover the hole in her pants!!

In the lobby

bridge to the Dolphin
pool - notice the big swan statue up high

obligatory light fixture picture for LL!!

Our room was on the 6th floor.
More pictures of our room and view to come!!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #87
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

AND THEY"RE OFF!!!!! WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

More More More More More!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!

I can not BELIEVE you guys drove the whole way straight through! My DH's back can't go for more than 15 hrs! Y'all are CRAZY!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #88
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Oh wow, you got to stay at the Swan!! It's on my list of resorts to try one day! Can't wait for more pics!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #89
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
YAY!! You're on the road!! Can't wait to read more!
It's coming!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Disney Girl View Post
AND THEY"RE OFF!!!!! WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

More More More More More!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!

I can not BELIEVE you guys drove the whole way straight through! My DH's back can't go for more than 15 hrs! Y'all are CRAZY!!!
Yes, why, in fact, we are CRAZY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Oh wow, you got to stay at the Swan!! It's on my list of resorts to try one day! Can't wait for more pics!
It was pretty cool. You'd be proud! I even took pictures of our room before we trashed it! And view pictures! Coming up!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #90
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

YAY for an extra day and an additional resort!! Your girls are too cute!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: