Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #136
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Anyone from Anita (wigdoutdismom)'s TR will notice that we did not have an African safari sunset scene in our bathtub tile, nor did we get a BIG jacuzzi type tub. That's only for those special DVC folks! LOL!

So here's what we saw from our balcony

Those fellas were a ways away from us - I had to zoom in to see them.

The giraffes kept walking back and forth along the path.

We took all these before we decided we were hungry and wanted to explore the resort. So we started toward the lobby - which is so cool - camera in hand. Sarah had studied her Hidden Mickey book to know that there were some in the lobby in a light fixture - LL, are you listening?? - and in the vines outside the lobby. So we went off looking and working our way toward Mara for some dinner.

Overlooking the lobby

Looking over at Boma (I'm pretty sure) and Victoria Falls bar

behind the check-in desk

If you can see the time stamp on the pictures, some were taken the first time we arrived at AKL and checked in.

Do you love the hole in Sarah's pants??? I can't believe I let her go out like that! HA! I promise she gets another pair of pants the next day!

They had a craft station in the lobby where the girls could make ornaments with painted pieces of ostrich egg shells.

more pictures in next post
Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #137
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

I forgot a few pictures from DTD I wanted to include

The girls acted out the scenes in the windows! Crazy kids!

finding a hidden Mickey on the manhole cover before we discovered we didn't remember where the car was!

Of course, this one was supposed to go with the picture of my yummy sandwich!

Now back to our regularly scheduled AKL picture programming...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #138
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

WOW!!! What an amazing day! And it isn't even 6pm yet! Cruising the Boardwalk, Beach and Yacht Clubs, checking in at a surprise resort, lunch and shopping at a DTD and then Christmas crafts at the AKL!!! My kids would be exhausted from the sheer excitement of that day! What an awesome fun exciting day!

MORE? Please!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #139
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

More AKL pictures

I love how they carved animals in the "walls/railings" up above the lobby. And the ornaments on that tree were SO COOL!!

This one's for you LL!!

We made our way over to Mara and finally got some dinner around 7:00. We didn't have the DDP until the next day at BLT, so we paid OOP. We got the girls some Chicken nuggets and fries, mac and cheese and I had a chicken pita. Of course, I had to try the infamous Zebra Domes!!! We paid $24.88. The food was pretty good. The ZDs were YUMMY!!! We scarfed those babies down in about 5 minutes! I would definitely recommend trying these treats!

We hit the gift shop after dinner and Dave found that he wanted something special to remember AKL by. He bought a cute little basket that now sits on our front hall table and holds keys. Don't know where the picture is. I'll have to do a souvenir post later with all those pictures.

I also bought an AKL Christmas pin, some autograph books for my friend to give as Christmas gifts, and the girls each bought a postcard to send home to their class.
The CM at the counter was so nice - he told us where to mail the postcards and we noticed he was wearing a Happy Birthday button that said "Walt". Not the CM's name. It was Walt Disney's birthday!

Later we went outside to see if we could use the night vision goggles to see some animals in the dark on the savanna. It was difficult, and there were a couple laying in the grass. Not too much movement. There were only about 2 other families out there, so we had plenty of time. Dang sleepy animals!

We finally hit the sack. It was a pretty busy day with lots of walking - considering we didn't go to a park!! We were planning a leisurely morning around AKL before check out and more animal watching from our balcony. Then we had a lunch reservation at Kona before we met up with the rest of the family! They'd been calling and let us know where they stopped for the night. I also heard that Shawna finally arrived at WDW!! YAY! When would our first DIS meet happen??? It was a surprise to me!!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #140
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to see all your souvie pics! AKL is so pretty and you had an amazing view from your room!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #141
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

O O O that TrendD store looks great!!! I can't wait to check it out next month!!

Can't wait for more! I want to see the BLT pictures!!! I'll be staying there in 30 days

Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #142
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

Ooooh! I just can't wait to hear about the meet between 2 of my favourite DIS friends! Where and when does it happen? Please tell us more!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #143
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Disney Girl View Post
WOW!!! What an amazing day! And it isn't even 6pm yet! Cruising the Boardwalk, Beach and Yacht Clubs, checking in at a surprise resort, lunch and shopping at a DTD and then Christmas crafts at the AKL!!! My kids would be exhausted from the sheer excitement of that day! What an awesome fun exciting day!

MORE? Please!
Yeah, it was quite a busy day for all of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Can't wait to see all your souvie pics! AKL is so pretty and you had an amazing view from your room!
It was so cool to be there!! I could have sat for hours on that balcony! I have to spend some quality time with photobucket so I can do a souvie post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
O O O that TrendD store looks great!!! I can't wait to check it out next month!!

Can't wait for more! I want to see the BLT pictures!!! I'll be staying there in 30 days
Oh I hope you have a great trip! I'll try to post some BLT pictures this week so you can have a look. What kind of room are you staying in? We had a studio. The TrenD store was so cool - I could have spent a lot of money there! But I saved it all for WoD!!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #144
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Disney Girl View Post
Ooooh! I just can't wait to hear about the meet between 2 of my favourite DIS friends! Where and when does it happen? Please tell us more!
My, my, aren't you the impatient one!! Don't you love surprises?? It's coming soon - but I have so much information to share, you'll just have to wait! I can't rush this thing. I need to drag it out so I don't feel so bad that I'm not going back this winter!!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #145
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Love that Mickey jingle bell wreath! Too cute!

Wow! AKL is just GORGEOUS decorated for Christmas! That tree is just huge!!! How neat that they had ornaments the girls could make! They have the best crafts at AKL!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #146
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Love that Mickey jingle bell wreath! Too cute!

Wow! AKL is just GORGEOUS decorated for Christmas! That tree is just huge!!! How neat that they had ornaments the girls could make! They have the best crafts at AKL!
yes, the ornaments they made hung on our tree this year. I learned about the crafts from reading your June TR and Chelesea's little box! So I made sure to read about all the resort activities and lucked out that there was something they could do during our short stay!
The ornaments on that tree were so cool. Big balls with animal prints, baskets, masks. Amazing!!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #147
crzyred
I'm lucky any of my clothes are clean, let alone wrinkle free!
I don't do the whole thinking thing!

LOVE those ornaments that the girls made!!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #148
MAGGIED
DIS Veteran

Your photos are beautiful.... I love the huge tree at AKL... it s beautiful.....

Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #149
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

I love the little giraffes the girls made. They are so cute and colorful.

AKL is really beautiful. I can't wait to see it in a FEW SHORT DAYS!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #150
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
[COLOR=seagreen]

WOW what great updates! Sounds like you got lots of shopping done. We got this same exact wreath!!

Love all the DTD pics and the AKL lobby is just beautiful!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: