Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #76
disneymoon_0307
Disney World is my 2nd home!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwdwcm View Post
welcome!! so glad you found us! Going with a large group can be challenging, but fun. just be sure to stay flexible and not try and overdo it all together. splitting up was actually nice. I was surprised at how well disney did sitting us together for most of our meals and if we were not at one table, we were right next to each other.

i can tell you that it was difficult with a 2yo. It was a little overstimulating for him. Even with a daily nap, it was hard doing those long meals, so keep that in mind. next time we won't do so many sit down meals (which ate up too much time anyhow). Overall he was pretty good, but it was definitely different than travelling sans kiddo. The child swap passes were great though. But we weren't able to do things the way we used to, like taking my time shopping, i had to keep in mind that he wasn't patient. Or rushing through things- we had to slow it down. definitely a change, but not a bad one. Seeing his face light up made it all worth it!

When are you guys going and where are you staying?
We will be going in September of next year prolly near the end of the month. We want to do MNSSHP and hopefully free dining. Right now I'm looking at 3 rooms at POP. It seems to be the cheapest. I was looking at getting one giant room, but it's twice as much as 3 rooms. Yeah, the problem I will have is slowing down. I'm like you. When I get to Disney I'm full on Disney mode...I go, go, go. But going with ppl who have never been before and a 2yo, I will have to remember.
September 2006-POP-First time to Disney World with my fiance.September 2007-Coronado-First MNSSHPMay 2008-Our Disneymoon
Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #77
exwdwcm
wishes she was Wendy Moira Angela Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymoon_0307 View Post
We will be going in September of next year prolly near the end of the month. We want to do MNSSHP and hopefully free dining. Right now I'm looking at 3 rooms at POP. It seems to be the cheapest. I was looking at getting one giant room, but it's twice as much as 3 rooms. Yeah, the problem I will have is slowing down. I'm like you. When I get to Disney I'm full on Disney mode...I go, go, go. But going with ppl who have never been before and a 2yo, I will have to remember.
the kiddos don't give you much of a choice on slowing down....and you know your kids limits. We knew that he couldn't sleep in a stroller and a 2-3 hour break was a must and we could tell when the breaking point was getting near. yet another friend with toddler twins under 2 was able to go all day long and just let hers sleep in the stroller and that worked for them. just figure out what works for you and go with the flow! These is nothing like seeing that smile on their little face. I know 5-6 is probably a more ideal age to bring them, but for someone so passionate about disney like us (and after struggling to have children like me), i couldn't wait to take him!

WDW College Program-Fall 96
84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #78
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Quote:
I like AKL, i've stayed in the regular rooms, but DH likes BLT for the monorail proximity, MK proximity and ability to see fireworks etc. Plus he likes the lower maintenance fee, although the point price is higher (I think it about equals out in the end over time with AKL). Neither of us like the 'modern/contemporary' feel, we are both traditional folks in terms of decor, so AKL is more of a fit in that regard. We will see, but if we buy, he is leaning towards BLT.

I'll try and post the rest of the day later today. Shula's was fantastic!!!! service was phenomenal

tons of meetings today, getting back to real life blows. can't i be in disney instead?
The real world does blow

I've always liked visiting AKL, but I don't know if I would be a fan of staying there It's rather secluded from the rest of WDW and there's not too much to do at the actual resort. I'm someone who has to be near action

Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #79
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Whew!!! All caught up finally!!! You have been super busy!!!!

So, just a couple things...we also have a Boston!!!! They are fun dogs, huh?!

TSM is a great ride...agreed!!! We too are no longer that into Chef mickey's dinner, breakfast was even lacking for us this time. We didn't get to do the Crystal Palace breakfast afterall and will try next trip.

You guys were really getting a lot done on those MK days!! Good job! I feel like it is hard to accomplish a lot in one trip to HS also...takes us at least 2!!

Lastly...I know you are from Texas...but so sad that you are Cowboys fans!! LOL That's a tough one to get past!!!

Waiting for more!!!

And...wanted to add that Will looks so cute in all these pix...it's a lot for a little one like that sometimes, but he seems for the most part to be taking it in stride!

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
Old 01-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #80
exwdwcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
The real world does blow

I've always liked visiting AKL, but I don't know if I would be a fan of staying there It's rather secluded from the rest of WDW and there's not too much to do at the actual resort. I'm someone who has to be near action
yeah, that is the one negative, it is so far away from everything. another reason DH liked BLT. I do love that lobby though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
Whew!!! All caught up finally!!! You have been super busy!!!!

So, just a couple things...we also have a Boston!!!! They are fun dogs, huh?!

TSM is a great ride...agreed!!! We too are no longer that into Chef mickey's dinner, breakfast was even lacking for us this time. We didn't get to do the Crystal Palace breakfast afterall and will try next trip.

You guys were really getting a lot done on those MK days!! Good job! I feel like it is hard to accomplish a lot in one trip to HS also...takes us at least 2!!

Lastly...I know you are from Texas...but so sad that you are Cowboys fans!! LOL That's a tough one to get past!!!

Waiting for more!!!

And...wanted to add that Will looks so cute in all these pix...it's a lot for a little one like that sometimes, but he seems for the most part to be taking it in stride!
Yes, my poor Cowboys. What can I say. They played crappy and well we just gotta hope next year is better.

Yes, we have two bostons- Sassy and Tinkerbell. Will loves to torment them these days. Boarding them while we went away was not cheap, but they did okay!

Yes, i think we might attempt Chef MIckey's breakfast next time. who knows, if we buy BLT this year, we might be seeing a lot more of Chef Mickey's. lol. Crystal Palace is a must every trip, and he loves Pooh, so there ya go!

Can't wait to hear the latest adventure for your clan. How were the crowds your week? it wasn't too bad for us, but it wasn't empty either. with good planning, we were able to accomplish a lot, but it was far from empty.

84, 86-FTW, 93-FTW, 97, 98-OFFSITE, 00-POR, 03, 04, 05-GAYLORD, 04-POFQ, 05-POR, 06-CBR, 07-AKL, May 09-DIS Podcast Cruise, DEC 09-DAP/WL, Sept 10-DL, DEC 10 BLT, FEB 10 JOINED DVC! AUG 11 DLH, OCT 11 BLT, NOV 2012 BLT
Old 01-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #81
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes, my poor Cowboys. What can I say. They played crappy and well we just gotta hope next year is better.

Yes, we have two bostons- Sassy and Tinkerbell. Will loves to torment them these days. Boarding them while we went away was not cheap, but they did okay!

Yes, i think we might attempt Chef MIckey's breakfast next time. who knows, if we buy BLT this year, we might be seeing a lot more of Chef Mickey's. lol. Crystal Palace is a must every trip, and he loves Pooh, so there ya go!

Can't wait to hear the latest adventure for your clan. How were the crowds your week? it wasn't too bad for us, but it wasn't empty either. with good planning, we were able to accomplish a lot, but it was far from empty.
Yeah...I'm a Giants fan so I was all for Favre last week!!!

I got our Boston for my husband for our 10th anniversary...he loves their temperment! Fortunately, my SIL stayed with her and our Chocolate Lab while we were gone!! Lucky!

Hmmm...BLT looks nice. Have you ever stayed at the Contemporary at all?? It is really nice, so I'm sure the Towers are nicer yet! Good luck with that! I want a DVC...it's just not in the cards for us right now.

I think I'll put the next installment up tomorrow probably! The crowds were low for us!! It was great. But, we have always gone over a holiday on other trips, so what seemed really low to us may not to others??! We did get tons done, though. There were other things we wanted to do, but were happy to be laid back and save them for next time, too!

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #82
exwdwcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
Yeah...I'm a Giants fan so I was all for Favre last week!!!

I got our Boston for my husband for our 10th anniversary...he loves their temperment! Fortunately, my SIL stayed with her and our Chocolate Lab while we were gone!! Lucky!

Hmmm...BLT looks nice. Have you ever stayed at the Contemporary at all?? It is really nice, so I'm sure the Towers are nicer yet! Good luck with that! I want a DVC...it's just not in the cards for us right now.

I think I'll put the next installment up tomorrow probably! The crowds were low for us!! It was great. But, we have always gone over a holiday on other trips, so what seemed really low to us may not to others??! We did get tons done, though. There were other things we wanted to do, but were happy to be laid back and save them for next time, too!
yes, we love our bostons, so laid back and pretty easy (once out of the puppy stage), ours are two sisters that are now 10 years old. One is losing her sight I think, poor thing. MY DH had a boston growing up, so that is why we got them.

We haven't stayed at the Contemporary before, it just isn't our 'taste' and we would probably choose the pOly over it if we were just going and paying out of pocket for a monorail resort. But for DVC, it makes sense i guess based on what DH likes about it, i can't argue about how close it is to the MK or the monorail. We love Epcot too, so being able to do the monorail to there too (although a little arduous with the switch at TTC), would be fun.

so glad you had low crowds. i bet it made for a fabulous trip. i'll check in for your next installment today!

Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #83
exwdwcm

MONDAY, DECEMBER 14- DAY 5- PART 2- afternoon at AK

so we left off with us at AK in the late morning, just doing some shopping and safari........

After that, we headed off and who did we happen to see………..D’vine! She was so lovely! I am so glad we ran into her. I felt like we missed out on a lot of the little entertainment things like her (like seeing PUSH the trash can, the jammitors etc.). My dad caught a gorgeous shot of her face!

We watched her for a bit and smiled at the folks passing by that suddenly realized what she was.

We decided at this point to head to use our fastpasses on Expedition Everest. We had 3 we had used that morning, remember? Nene and Jeff decided they were going to go on their own and didn’t need to ride it again, so they left and Mama, Papa and I rode EE. I think Alan sat this one out with Will for us. We had a great ride!! We got in literally less than a minute with our fastpasses. The standby time was like 30 minutes at that point.

Next up, my mom wanted to do the rapids, so we headed that way. Since Pooh wasn’t tall enough, Alan sat out with him yet again (so nice). Alan didn’t want to get all wet anyhow. So my parents, Chase and I went on. We actually did have a wait for this, probably one of the longest waits of our trip- like 25 minutes. We usually don’t wait that long for anything. I did enjoy the theming and detail in the line though. I loved reading all the little stories/quotes in the ceiling area of one section. We got on our rapids and enjoyed the ‘quick’ ride. I think this is a ride I can skip in the future. We’ve ridden now a few times and it just doesn’t do that much for me. We rode with a nice family and all laughed when one side got soaked. My dad was one of them!

When we exited, I looked for Alan and Pooh, but couldn’t find them. Finally after walking down quite a ways, I turned back and ended up finding them near the bathrooms and a fountain. Pooh was in his shorts only and soaked. Apparently they found this little water play area and he was having a ball playing in the water and the fountain. His little diaper was about to explode. It was really cute though and one of those fun moments where he was just having a complete blast! I finally had to get him in the bathroom and changed. He wasn’t happy about leaving, but his diaper was literally leaking that white stuff everywhere!

So after Kali river, it was getting late and we had not yet eaten, so we all headed to Flame Tree barbeque, a favorite of ours. We love the little seating area on the river. The menu was a bit smaller than last time it seemed though. We ordered and I had the pulled pork sandwich with beans. We got some fries too for Pooh to share. I had the key lime thing for dessert but barely touched it. We did manage to find a table in the nick of time on the river. All the tables were filled and we lucked out and caught someone leaving. The birds around here are bad though, always begging for food. We enjoyed a nice meal together and Nene and Jeff joined us too. We had a great view of EE from there as well.

After our meal, it was getting late and Pooh was tired, afterall, we had been at AK since about 8am. It was now like nearing 2pm. But we had done a lot. I still wanted to do the boneyard and let Pooh play, see Nemo show, Lion King show and try and hit Primeval Whirl, so I still had stuff I wanted to do, but we had another morning planned here later in the week. How I would regret not doing more though. The more I go to AK, the more I appreciate it. But we decided it was time to head out and take a break. Tonight, we would have babysitters from Kids Nite Out come so we could enjoy a nice steak dinner at Shula’s and ‘drink around the world’ at Epcot. The sitters were going to arrive about 4:30pm, so it was time to get back.

So we headed back to the car which was a short walk. We stopped and had a look at the beautiful tree for a bit.

We returned to WL and rested for a bit and refilled our mugs. The one benefit to having a car is bringing and leaving your refillable mug in it every day, so it made it easy to stop in Roaring Forks for a refill. So we headed up to the room and settled in for a while. Our dinner reservation was for 5:30 at Shula’s and we had scheduled the babysitting service for 4:15, so we had a little time to review everything with them first.

Mousekeeping had lined up all of Pooh's pooh bears! We also had a small little washcloth animal each day on our nightstand. We did tip her daily though. Although others in the family tipped (same amount- $4-$5 a day- my mom gave us pre made envelopes iwht money in them already, i wouldn't leave that much myself typically).....anyhow, Nene said she didn't get a towel animal the whole time. I guess you never know with mousekeeping.
Wowo, Mike and the kids had returned earlier from wherever they were that am (I think MK). She was down at the pool with them and Nene. So I let Alan get Pooh down to nap while I headed downstairs to check out the pool. I didn’t plan to swim, but just wanted to watch. Wowo had a heck of a time finding the life jackets- I guess you have to go all the way down by the bike barn, which is a little walk from the pool area. Nene and Chase stayed in the water with Princess and MIkey while I watched from the side. I got some French fries as a snack and shared some. They didn’t get to swim for that long since we had to get back and ready for our dinner. But they had a good time.

I enjoyed some more time exploring the resort a bit and taking more photos. I went upstairs and Pooh had finally fallen asleep. It was now about 3:45 and he just had crashed. I could hear Wowo and the kids getting showered and dressed next door (thin walls!). At about 4:15, the sitter arrived. She was young, early 20s and extremely sweet and prepared. She had a suitcase full of toys and activities. We used Kids Nite Out because they came highly recommended here on the boards. I checked them out online too and all their staff is certified in first aid and CPR. I had read many good reviews from other DISers who had used them. My sister in law’s sister also used them recently for her twin girls and said they were fantastic.

She came in and had us fill out some paperwork and introduce the kids. Since Pooh was sleeping, we just opened up the connecting door between our rooms (came in handy then) and that way she could keep an eye on him, but let him rest while Princess and MIkey played in their room. We had a few questions for the sitter and she was extremely accommodating. We asked about dinner and decided to order a pizza for them all. We ordered it and left her tip money for it. We had drinks in the fridge. She was instructed not to leave the room with them, although they will take your kids out and about if you want them too. We only had one sitter for all three, so leaving wasn’t an option. It was good for them all to stay in and get some much needed rest anyhow. So after we felt comfortable that all our questions were answered, we all headed out the door.

So stay tuned to hear about the dinner at shula's and Drinking around the world (DATW)...........did we make it to all the countries? did anyone stumble from a few too many? Were the kids okay with the babysitter? all this and more in the next installment!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #84
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

Great update!! Sounds like you had a great time at AK!! And yay for D'vine!! I saw her several years ago at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN!! I hope you enjoy your night with your DH!!! Can't wait to hear about it!!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #85
ImarriedGrumpy
AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
artsfan married booksandcats!
Loves Target so much she has a planned "path" she follows

I love reading your trip report! It's fun hearing how your little guy did on the trip - totally love the playing in the fountain! I can absolutely see Owen doing something like that.

Delighted to be married to a Grumpy! Me DH DS (6) Beatrice Rosalind Alton
Old 01-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #86
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Great updates! That's too funny how Princess took things so seriously at 50's PTC! Can't wait to hear about date night!

Denise

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Last edited by praisehisname; 01-25-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #87
exwdwcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
Great update!! Sounds like you had a great time at AK!! And yay for D'vine!! I saw her several years ago at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, TN!! I hope you enjoy your night with your DH!!! Can't wait to hear about it!!
love D'vine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImarriedGrumpy View Post
I love reading your trip report! It's fun hearing how your little guy did on the trip - totally love the playing in the fountain! I can absolutely see Owen doing something like that.
he loved the fountains. they had some in epcot we missed though, so have to hit those up next time! it's the little things, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Great updates! That's too funny how Princess took things so seriously at 50's PTC! Can't wait to hear about date night!

Denise
Princess eventually got into the act, but it was funny that she didn't understand at first. Date night (plus 8 other adults) coming up soon!

Just got our photopass CD in finally- so will post some of those pics too!

THANKS for reading guys!!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #88
exwdwcm

so now that I have some of our great Photopass pics- I thought i would share with you some highlights!

My parents, Alan, me and Pooh!

Wowo, Mike, Princess and Mikey

Auntie, Papa, Mama, Alan, me, Pooh and Nancy- cold first day at MK!

Nene and Jeff playing around!

Nancy and Chase

Auntie!

me and Pooh- one of the few pics we caught him smiling!

Alan, me and Pooh- Osborne lights!

Alan, me and Pooh- sunny day at the MK!

Me, Mama, Auntie and Nene

Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #89
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

The pics of Pooh playing in the fountain are priceless (and precious)! Looks like he was having a ball Can't wait to hear all about the babysitter and how that turned out

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #90
exwdwcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
The pics of Pooh playing in the fountain are priceless (and precious)! Looks like he was having a ball Can't wait to hear all about the babysitter and how that turned out
Thanks, it was one of those memorable moments that makes the trip so special!

hopefully i'll get the rest of the day's report posted up tonight or tomorrow.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: