Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
jzensky
Earning My Ears

HoopDeeDoo or Family Magic Tour?

We bring my kids down to Disney once a year in the beginning of February. Each year we go we pick one thing to focus on. The first year we collected autographs from the characters. The second we collected smashed pennies, and last year we got some pins and actually made some ADR's for the first time!

This year we are trying to decide between the Hoop Dee Doo Review and the Family Magic Tour. My kids are 5,7 and 9. Should we do the tour now while they are still young and save the dinner? I don't know what the cost for the tours are yet, but I am also considering adding the behind the seeds tour at epcot if we decide to do the tour route.. anyone have any thoughts on weather that is worth it or not?

Thanks.
Danielle
DJ
Kaylyn

Honeymoon 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011

www.we3kids.blogspot.com
jzensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Hoop!

The kids are all old enough to laugh themselves silly at that wonderful show!
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
JoePa4Ever
DIS Veteran

Another vote for HDDR - a very fun show!
September 2008 - Pop Century
September 2009 - Pop Century
September 2010 - Pop Century
April 2011 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
December 2011 - Pop Century
September 2012 - Caribbean Beach
September 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
September 2014 - Caribbean Beach
JoePa4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
princess lovers mom
Life is just a bowl of cherries; don't take it serious; life's too mysterious

I vote for the tour !

perfect ages for the family magic tour....it is to date the most fun thing we have done at Disney for the girls.....

this being said - they need to be kids who are willing to be a bit goofy, to be looked at by strangers and not care...and at the end they are made to feel VERY special by some characters....

if your kiddies are shy and don't like being "goofy" then I wouldn't suggest it - that is why I think they are good ages though - before the pre-teen peer pressure to not stand out kicks in !!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
PA Princess
DIS Veteran

We have done Hoop Dee Doo several times as a family. Last time was August 2008 when our son requested it for his 13th birthday dinner.

Our last trip (12/17-12/27/2009) we did the Family Magic Tour on 12/22 and it was just a ball of fun. Our family includes dh, me, ds 15, ds14, dd9, and dd5 as well as my mom...we all really enjoyed it a great deal. It was fun, silly, and a fun family time. It was a real highlight of the trip.

Your kids a perfect ages for the tour, so even though we love Hoop, I would recommend you save that for another trip and do the tour. Cost for the tour was approximately $30 a person.

We have not done the seeds tour - we have talked about it for several trips because we love the land boat ride and always do it several times. One of these trips we will have to work that into our plans.
PA Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
swald91
DIS Veteran

I vote for the Hoop Dee Doo. I have never done any tours-is this the tour that goes "backstage" so to speak? If it is I would say NO!!!!! I love the magic of Disney & I can't imagine seeing all the stuff that goes into a day there-the ages of your children are great & must be SO much fun-ours are 13 & 9 and each year I keep wondering when they will no longer interested....
Whatever you choose-have a great time!

Grand Floridian first time in November!
Polynesian(CL) Dixie Landings & Wilderness Lodge
>>>> BEGIN SHAMROCK IMG CODE <<<<

<<<< END SHAMROCK IMG CODE >>>>>
Thanks BCV23!!!! (And MsStinkerbelle for your help!!)
swald91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Hoop Dee Do fan.................

I like to keep the behind scenes to Disney, would spoil my magic too, plus they are kind of long and takes away from park time when the parks are empty. HDDR is run later, like the second and 3rd shows the best and we always go for the best seating, Cat 1, if you're going to see a show, might as well have the best seat. We've done over 15 HDDR's so far, I was even picked to be Davey's angel, what a hoot! Food is good too and all you can drink, pop, beer and wine!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Conan the Librarian
Been Visting the Mouse since 1972

HDDR. My 14 yo loved it!

Geek the Library! I Geek Astronomy!

s his

Before 2010 too many trips to count starting in 1972

2010 Feb (off site), May SSR, Oct HHI.
2011 May SSR, Oct HHI
2012 Feb (off site), May SSR
2013 Feb OKW, May SSR, Dec Ft. W

2004 POR-Pop Century(May),POR (Oct), Ft Wilderness(Dec) 2005 HH(Jan), way off site(Feb), POR-Polynesian(May), Carribbean Beach(Oct), POP (Nov for Three Dog Night), Ft Wilderness (Dec)

2006 HHI (Jan) Daytrip (Feb), BCV (Apr/May) HHI (Nov) Ft Wilderness (Dec)2007 HHI (Jan) Daytrip (Feb), BCV (Apr/May) HHI (Nov) Ft Wilderness (Dec)

2008 HHI (Jan), Daytrip (Feb), SS (May), BV? (Oct)
2009 POP(Feb)WLV (Mar), SSR(May), SSR(Sept), FtW (Dec), HHI?(Dec)
Conan the Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
choirfarm
DIS Veteran

no on Hoop

Well, on our 8 day family trip to Walt Disney, it was unanimously agreed by all that HOOp de doo was the worst part of the whole trip. The show was just ok, the waiter was grumpy and the food was the worst of the whole trip of free dining. My dh was REALLY sorry he had talked me into it since it was worth 2 credits during free dining instead of doing the Coral Reef and Chef Mickeys!! so NO NO NO to Hoop de dooh. My three kids thought it was stupid as well and didn't care for the food. Boma was our favorite of the trip!

Christine
choirfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
swald91
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
I like to keep the behind scenes to Disney, would spoil my magic too, plus they are kind of long and takes away from park time when the parks are empty. HDDR is run later, like the second and 3rd shows the best and we always go for the best seating, Cat 1, if you're going to see a show, might as well have the best seat. We've done over 15 HDDR's so far, I was even picked to be Davey's angel, what a hoot! Food is good too and all you can drink, pop, beer and wine!
COOL!!! (on being picked to be the angel)

Grand Floridian first time in November!
Polynesian(CL) Dixie Landings & Wilderness Lodge
>>>> BEGIN SHAMROCK IMG CODE <<<<

<<<< END SHAMROCK IMG CODE >>>>>
Thanks BCV23!!!! (And MsStinkerbelle for your help!!)
swald91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

FMT...a must do before the kiddos are too old to want to participate!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
jzensky
Earning My Ears

The family magic tour is not a behind the scenes tour. From what I understand it is a scavenger hunt through the MK itself looking to save it from a villain??? The behind the scenes stuff you can't bring kids under 16 on (I think that's the right age)
DJ
Kaylyn

Honeymoon 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011

www.we3kids.blogspot.com
jzensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
sabrecmc
DIS Veteran

I did the FMT with my daughter last year. As the PP said, it is not backstage. Not at all. In fact, it incorporates the Disney magic. While I understand there are slightly different stories done, ours involved Hook threatening to take over the Magic Kingdom and turn it into all pirate rides if we didn't find his lost hook. There was a treasure map, which we had to follow, with various activities to do along the way (sing When You Wish Upon a Star at the babershop, ride the Buzz Lightyear ride (via fastpasses provided by our guide), skip, take 30 giant steps, etc.). In the end, we met up with Wendy and Peter Pan, where we managed to find the hook and save the Kingdom. Go us!

It was totally cheesy, but completely fun if you have the right attitude and don't care what strangers think of you. I think my daughter, at 3, was too young to really get it, though she enjoyed it. I will say that I would never do it in the summer again. Waaaaaaay too hot. February should be great though. Your kids are great ages for it. The kids in that age range in our group had a blast with the treasure map and clues.

I haven't done HDDR, so can't compare. I'm sure both would be fun. But, my feeling is that the FMT is best enjoyed by kids under 10, while HDDR can be enjoyed at any age. I would probably do FMT this trip and HDDR next time.
sabrecmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirfarm View Post
the waiter was grumpy
Cool!

Many folks would even pay EXTRA just to have him as a waiter.

Heigh Ho!

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: