Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #76
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

Love the pics! I have to admit, when I read you guys' PTRs I was totally lost on the attraction to the new villas. I see the storybook charm, but I can also see getting a migraine from those obnoxious colors. LOL (Watch - we'll end up in not only one of the new villas, but the bright orange one to boot!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrosby View Post
(there, unfortunately, were a few other instances when I witnessed some cranky "elder" angel attitude).
This actually made me chuckle, as we live in "elder" land! Seriously, being a relatively warm winter climate, we get "snowbirds" from WI, MI, IL, WY, WA, ID, etc, etc and all the "young" people I know grumble about the snowbird season. I guess when I'm 70 I'll be cranky too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersmom View Post
Maybe I could abduct a brunette about Bella's size with pincurls to sit on the Aladdin's carpet..I'll just take the pics from the back! Okay, so that prob wouldn't work..would be funny though!
Tessa has brown curls, but more like corkscrews, and not nearly long enough!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #77
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzbear View Post
I have many of the KP clues for China that you are looking for. I also have tons of the Osbourne Lights. Did I mention that I took close to 1,500 photos? I have a few pictures of the England KP mission, but Aaron did most of that with Bre without me and the kids. Are there any characters that you need pictures of? I can see if my kids can be cropped out of some of mine so at least you have a picture of the character you met. You are welcome to use any pictures in your trip report. I will try to get to the post office today.

You are holding together so much better than I would be. Hang in there! You have lots of support her on Dis!
Oh YEA! I'm so happy we will be able to recount every moment of our KP Mission. That was one of the girls favorite parts of Epcot and it was wonderful to see them working so well together to solve the clues.

I knew you took a lot of photos but 1500? I am impressed (and thankful! (ok, and a little envious too! )

I have most of the character photos either on photopass or in the handful that I pulled as favorites and printed but I will let you know if any are missing.

And thank you for letting me use them in my TR. I hope the readers we have in common don't mind too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
This is like reading some sort of gothic novel, full of dark suspense. I wish I had just read about a happy ending, but not yet. I still have hope!

Can you get other Wish Trippers to send you some photos of the places that you visited that you could have, even if YOUR family isn't in them??
Jeepers, I can't even stand to read horror stories and here I am writing one!?!? I hate that my TR about the most magical, wonderful, amazing trip we have ever taken has turned so dark and dismal. Fortunately Liesa, with or without photos, Bella does get her happy ending. And don't forget, the happy ending photos were NOT amongst those lost in the flash drive fiasco.

I have already had several offers from other Wish Trippers to share their photos with me and I appreciate it more than I could ever express in words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkid View Post
There's a thread here: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1537784
thats a bunch of generic photos of disney world. I've been using it for the ones i forgot to take, it might help some!
Thank you for the link to that thread. Once I figure out what is missing, I'll be willing to bet the DISers over there could help me out with the remaining gaps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
GREAT update!! Sorry you weren't able to get a Castle Villa but it sounds like your villa was very homey!!
It definitely felt like home. And to be honest, we spent so little time in the villa it didn't really matter. Bella even saw the castle villas later on that day and didn't so much as ask to stay in one. Maybe Mommy was the one who really wanted the castle villa after all
Quote:
Great great start!!! I'm hooked

I did have to laugh at your description of what happened when you requested the villa at the front desk. That was pretty much the reaction (and attitude) I got when I asked the same thing at check in........a wee bit disappointing I might add and perhaps worth a nice note to whoever the big cheese is over there. Oh, it was also from an 'elder' angel (there, unfortunately, were a few other instances when I witnessed some cranky "elder" angel attitude). When I called back later I talked to a young guy who was actually very apologetic and 'helped' me find the person who could make it happen (who apologized profusely as well).

Pamela
I'll bet it was the same person! Did you see her in my pictures of the girls on the golf cart? Is it her? I mean we both checked in on Thursday so there is a good chance she is a 'regular' Angel on Thursdays!

We too met a handful of cranky angels (such as the one who asked my MIL if she was really going to eat all 4 plates of waffles she requested? Hello - the others are for the rest of our party already sitting down!) but they were by far overshadowed by the dozens, maybe even hundreds, of kind, generous, and amazing angels we met throughout the week.

I'll bet I know the young guy too - did he have dark hair and glasses? He was so helpful to us on numerous occasions. He even let me behind the desk to use the internet and hooked us up with a parking pass and stroller voucher for US/IOA on the day after we checked out. Nice guy!

Quote:
Oh yeah..........and just why IS the orientation scheduled SMACK DAB in the middle of the Christmas Party!!!!!!????????? Another very nice note perhaps????????

oh, and don't get me wrong...........I loooooooved the place and am planning to go back to play and even volunteer myself. There are soooooo many volunteers coming and going that you are bound to meet up with a speed bump now and again. I'm sure they would welcome the feedback though.

Pamela
I KNOW! RIGHT SMACK DAB in the middle of Christmas! Ugh! Thankfully we had Grandma with us so she was able to help DH with the girls while I went to orientation, but I missed the parade and horse drawn carriage ride. No biggie!

I know what you mean though, love the place, but didn't need that easy-to remedy headache to deal with. I will include it in my satisfaction survey (which I still need to fill out - oops!).
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #78
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersmom View Post
Woohoo for an update. I'm sorry you couldn't get one of the new villas, but glad your villa felt like "home" once you got in! So cool that it was all decorated for Christmas down to the stockings!

I don't know how "quick" I am since it took a while for the lightbulb moment, but I will be more than happy to take the pics you need! Maybe I could abduct a brunette about Bella's size with pincurls to sit on the Aladdin's carpet..I'll just take the pics from the back! Okay, so that prob wouldn't work..would be funny though! We have a couple months before we go though, so if you want to check with someone going sooner I totally understand. Just let me know, hon
Oh yes, and upon seeing those stockings, AJ kindly reminded me that St. Nick's Day was just around the corner so it was a good thing we had stockings here at GKTW!! Doh! Um DH, did youuuuuuu remember that St. Nick's Day was Dec 5th? Cuz I sure didn't! At that point, our list of things to buy at WalMart grew exponentially!

K, cuz I know some of you may be asking why I am worried about stockings being filled when it was only December 3rd. So for those of you confused: confused by AJ's statement, I will explain. I think this is a midwest thing, or maybe a german thing . . . I dunno. All I do know is that "all the other kids' parents are doing it" so we participate too.

So here goes: On December 5th, St. Nick's Eve, the children set out their stockings and overnight, St. Nick (apparently this guy is different than Santa Claus, I think) comes to our house and fills the children's stockings with gifts and candy. Traditionally, I believe that actual footwear (i.e. shoes) was filled but the thought of the girls eating candy out of their own shoes makes me want to vomit. So stockings are used instead. I'm sure some bright German kid just made it all up years ago to get more presents from ma and pa!

Oh yes, definitely kidnap some kid with curly brown locks, drag her into the Wish Room, and snap a couple quick pictures of her. That will go over real well with the Disney folks! But I am tellin' you now I won't spring for your bail

Or better yet, I could send you all the gorgeous ringlets I found on the kitchen floor after Bella's self inflicted haircut this past summer and you could just hold them in front of the camera and pretend it's the back of her head! Yes, she cut off THAT MUCH hair. Gee, I don't have a hard time getting over things do I?

I would actually really appreciate a couple of pictures of the inside of the Wish Room if you happen to go in there. I would like to include them in my scrapbook which will probably take at least a year or 5 to finish, so no hurry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyanggirls View Post
Love the pics! I have to admit, when I read you guys' PTRs I was totally lost on the attraction to the new villas. I see the storybook charm, but I can also see getting a migraine from those obnoxious colors. LOL (Watch - we'll end up in not only one of the new villas, but the bright orange one to boot!)

This actually made me chuckle, as we live in "elder" land! Seriously, being a relatively warm winter climate, we get "snowbirds" from WI, MI, IL, WY, WA, ID, etc, etc and all the "young" people I know grumble about the snowbird season. I guess when I'm 70 I'll be cranky too.

Tessa has brown curls, but more like corkscrews, and not nearly long enough!
Yes, the bright orange one could be a bit much, I can see your point. But a castle, oooooh, a CASTLE. Eh, who really cares? Bella clearly didn't! And I am so over it now! But you know you've totally jinxed yourself and now you'll probably end up living in one for a week!

Oh Snowbirds. How fun! We are the opposite of you and get them when they migrate back north for the summer.

I hope I'm not cranky at 70. Especially not to Wish kids and their families. It just wasn't the first impression I expcted at GKTW.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #79
thatkid
Mouseketeer

I only ran into one cranky angel! and it was a young one.. at the xmas party.
YOU want to see santa? uh, yeah!

The guy with glasses was super nice! (at the front desk, right?) He helped us with tons of stuff, and let my mom use his internet, too.

I love your report so far! You're a really good writer

my MAKE-A-WISH Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=34622202
Old 12-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #80
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Oh.......I LOVE that Fairy Tale Forest section!!!!!!! It's so.................I don't know........storybook charm is a perfect description. Now I may not paint my HOUSE that color but for a little kid's magical vacation villa ................PERFECT. The other villas, why certainly 'nice', looked more like houses in a neighborhood.

I'm with you StefaniLyn......Melissa better get her sunglasses ready because she's headed straight for the Forest!!!!!!

Pamela

Matty's Wish Trip PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

Matty's Wish Trip TR "Mom, Dad, 3 Kids, and a Gingerbread Boy" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356739
Old 12-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #81
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkid View Post
I only ran into one cranky angel! and it was a young one.. at the xmas party.
YOU want to see santa? uh, yeah!

The guy with glasses was super nice! (at the front desk, right?) He helped us with tons of stuff, and let my mom use his internet, too.

I love your report so far! You're a really good writer
What date were you at the Christmas Party? Was it 12/3? I thought I saw you there, but I was too embarassed to ask you if it was you! I didn't want to freak out someone else if it wasn't you! Does that make any sense?

Yep, that's the guy. Do any Wish Trippers out there remember that guy's name? He really was awesome! Every time I had a question, he was willing and able to help me out! I want to give him some credit when I finally get around to sending in my satisfaction survey.

Quote:
Oh.......I LOVE that Fairy Tale Forest section!!!!!!! It's so.................I don't know........storybook charm is a perfect description. Now I may not paint my HOUSE that color but for a little kid's magical vacation villa ................PERFECT. The other villas, why certainly 'nice', looked more like houses in a neighborhood.

I'm with you StefaniLyn......Melissa better get her sunglasses ready because she's headed straight for the Forest!!!!!!

Pamela
Oh Melissa - Your future's so bright, you gotta wear shades . . . you gotta wear shades!

Pamela since you saw both, I'm curious whether both villas were identical on the inside (the layout, size of rooms, etc)?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:05 PM   #82
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Okay, so you now have links to about a thousand pictures, so hopefully you'll find a few that will work. I know it won't replace what you lost, but hopefully it will help the girls remember their trip.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:27 PM   #83
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Stephanie,

Yup, the interiors were identical in layout..................and not that much different in terms of interior decor either, just newer.

I can't remember the face of the 'elder' angel who was working at the desk that morning. I do remember the one who quite literally 'yelled' at a little boy for touching the top of the glass in Amberville. That bothered me alittle bit and I felt like going over and 'gently' reminding her where she was. Of course I didn't as it wasn't my place but I do feel like that kind of stuff should not go ignored. The young guy, he did wear glasses. Hmmmmm I wonder if it was the same guy????

Pamela

Matty's Wish Trip TR "Mom, Dad, 3 Kids, and a Gingerbread Boy" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356739
Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 PM   #84
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

How frustrating that you couldn't get the Angel to understand what you meant. At least it was all good when you got to your villa!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 01-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #86
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

I'm frustrated for you that you couldn't make this person understand diddly squat. You'd think they'd know more about their own property.

Looks like you're getting quite a few nice offers on your photo gaps! Liking that, for sure!

Old 01-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #87
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
Okay, so you now have links to about a thousand pictures, so hopefully you'll find a few that will work. I know it won't replace what you lost, but hopefully it will help the girls remember their trip.
THANK YOU for the links to your photos! They will fill in many of the gaps! I spent yesterday pouring over them and adding a whole bunch to my shutterfly cart.
Quote:
Stephanie,

Yup, the interiors were identical in layout..................and not that much different in terms of interior decor either, just newer.

I can't remember the face of the 'elder' angel who was working at the desk that morning. I do remember the one who quite literally 'yelled' at a little boy for touching the top of the glass in Amberville. That bothered me alittle bit and I felt like going over and 'gently' reminding her where she was. Of course I didn't as it wasn't my place but I do feel like that kind of stuff should not go ignored. The young guy, he did wear glasses. Hmmmmm I wonder if it was the same guy????

Pamela

touching the top of the glass? really? that's too bad! I hope it wasn't one of your boys!

I'll bet it was the same guy! I really wish I knew his name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
How frustrating that you couldn't get the Angel to understand what you meant. At least it was all good when you got to your villa!
Yes, definitely frustrating, especially since we had already lost time at the airport and were all hungry. But once we were all fed, things were fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
I'm frustrated for you that you couldn't make this person understand diddly squat. You'd think they'd know more about their own property.

Looks like you're getting quite a few nice offers on your photo gaps! Liking that, for sure!
What was comical for me was that the elder Angel was 'training' the younger one yet the younger one was clearly more knowledgeable, at least about the villas! I mean did she really think someone would show up at GKTW and request to stay in the castle suite at MK?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #88
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Act 1: Scene 5 - Lunch Launches A Lengthy Bella History Lesson - (skippable)

We have arrived, we have our rental car, we have made it over to GKTW, we have our villa, albeit not a castle, and we are HERE! It’s about time we started having fun, right?

Nope, we need to eat first. I myself was starting to wonder when the fun would begin! But we are STARVING! So we grab Bella’s lunch box with her food in it, a new toy from the bag full of goodies we’d received, and headed straight for Katie’s Kitchen. It was a quick 10 minute walk, but I swear you could hear our tummy rumbles echoing with each step.

Katie’s Kitchen is essentially GKTW code for Boston Market and to those of you who have never experienced the deliciousness of Boston Market, I pity you! Because KK/Boston Market is DELICOUS, and there couldn’t possibly be a better choice of fast food to have available on a daily basis for Wish Families. Mmmmmmmm . . . I could really go for some mashed potatoes and cornbread right now!

It’s always awkward doing something for the first time and ordering at KK was no exception. When we reached KK, it at first appeared closed but before I could break in and rob the place of all its food, DH peeped into the window and caught the attention of an employee. We ordered our food and sat down at an outdoor shaded table to wait. Kennedy wanted chocolate milk but KK didn't have it so she went next door to the ice cream palace. She returned and informed me that they made her chocolate milk with a WHOLE SCOOP of chocolate syrup!

While waiting for our food to arrive, began to feed Bella her meal. Unfortunately, I don’t get a vacation from that.

Prior to continuing, I need to recapitulate a little bit of background information. Ok, let’s be honest, I have yet to give you a ‘little bit’ of anything. I’ve probably written about this before, so feel free to skip the green writing if you’re familiar with Bella’s history.

Born with esophageal atresia (esophagus not connected to her stomach) and a myriad of other health conditions, Bella was fed through a g-tube for the first 4 years of her life. After surgery to correct her esophageal atresia at the age of 3 months, we quickly discovered that not only did she not want to eat, she did not know how – her esophagus couldn’t swallow properly. Bella would aspirate on liquids, and purees caused her to gag and vomit.

When she was 2, Bella went through an intensive inpatient feeding program at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin. A team of doctors and psychologists attempted to teach Isabella how to eat. They failed – she was too stubborn. They tried again when she was 3. They failed again. Bella is the ONLY child in the history of this program to fail twice. It is not an accomplishment I ever wanted her to achieve.

After two failures, doctors at CHW recommended a 3 month inpatient program in Baltimore, Maryland. At the age of 4, Bella and I spent and entire summer in Kennedy Krieger Institute (next door to Johns Hopkins Hospital) where she successfully learned to swallow pureed food and drink liquids. Unfortunately, it is still very difficult and scary for Bella and she would rather starve than eat a single bite of food. However, as she no longer has a g-tube, so we must make Bella eat enough calories each day to sustain her.

Making Bella eat is difficult. Even at 5 years old, we must still scoop bites of food (only thin pureed foods – any texture, like applesauce, will make her vomit) onto a spoon and feed them to her like an infant because she won’t do it herself. She will fight off anyone who tries to feed her if she has decided she doesn’t want to eat. And despite her small size, she is strong. Although she refuses, fights, and sometimes throws up, we reward her for every single bite of food she does take. Rewards include stickers, watching tv, playing with toys, and whatever other motivation we can find.

Feeding Bella doesn’t look pretty. We feed her according to a specific protocol designed by a team of doctors. We use a method called escape extinction which essentially means the bite of food stays at her lips until she takes it. She can hit me, hit the spoon, turn her head, and even bite me, and my job is to keep that spoon by her lips. At times it can resemble force feeding. Needless to say, meals can get long and ugly. A good meal takes 15-30 minutes, but a bad one can take over an hour to eat a mere 3 ounces of pureed food and drink 9 ounces of milk. During difficult meals, Bella will frequently scream, cry, plead for help (which gets us some interesting looks from strangers!), throw food, and occasionally vomit.

And as if the difficulty swallowing and fear of food wasn’t enough, Bella’s body seems to reject food. Eating any amount of food will cause Bella’s blood glucose to spike to well over 200 within 15 minutes of eating. This spike causes her to feel very hot, lethargic, and nauseous. She will also complain of a headache (especially when it is hot outside), belly ache, and heart palpitations. Essentially, food makes her feel miserable and it takes about an hour before her blood sugar returns to normal. She does not have diabetes. The cause of these spikes is unknown, other than it is induced by food. She is currently on several medications to reduce the height of the spike, but her team of doctors continues to be baffled by the cause or cure.

I just wanted to add this section because throughout this trip report, you will often read about how good or bad Bella’s meal went. To be truthful, Bella’s meals run our lives, decided where we go and when, and can determine the general mood of the day. Bad meal = bad mood = bad day. And vice versa. It is a lot of work, and can be stressful. We make and puree most of her food to ensure that it is pureed thoroughly, calorie packed, and free from gluten contamination (oh yea, did I forget to mention she has celiac disease?). Yogurt and pudding packs are a staple for her. I pray before each meal that Bella will simply accept her food and cooperate, but that prayer more often than not falls into the same category my flash drive sits in now – unanswered. But alas, I know Bella’s life depends on her eating and consider feeding her a labor of love.

While waiting for our food, I attempted to feed Bella. Unfortunately, being on a Wish Trip doesn’t change the fact that Bella hates to eat. It had been 6 full hours since her breakfast, and Bella wasn’t a bit hungry. I kid you not, Bella has gone for nearly a full week on just IV fluids without a single bite of food and never complained of hunger. The fact is, Bella's fear of eating food by far overshadows any pleasure she might obtain from its taste. Even the new toy wasn’t motivation enough for Bella to eat her pudding for lunch.

Bella at first refused to eat anything. She cried when I gave her medication, and threw herself to the ground when I opened her food bag. This is very typical. After she screamed her way through a few bites (thankfully, nobody was around), she realized it was futile and began to cooperate. By the end of the meal, we were racing to see who could finish our drinks first. It was a pretty average meal for her.

Our food arrived quickly and we gobbled it up. I ordered the pot pie. It was delicious. Wait, delicious is an understatement. DH had a bbq pork sandwich, DMIL ordered tuna salad. They ended up going halfsies and split both. DD10 had the meatloaf sandwich, and DD8 had a chicken ceasar salad. We shared sides of cornbread, mashed potatoes, chicken noodle soup, and mac and cheese.

A half hour later, we were stuffed, and finally ready to have some fun exploring GKTW! First up on our list was Amberville!

Act 1: Scene 6 - Fun Times in a Special Place Called Amberville

Last edited by StefaniLyn; 01-07-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #89
kimmylaj
DIS Veteran

can you believe i have never eaten boston market? and its only about 5 minutes from my house. guess i'll give it a try.
and wow i read bellas pre trip about the feeding and believe it or not i had seen her youtube video before i ever read about you guys on the dis. but i did not realize what a struggle it still is to get her to eat. i promise to never complain about my picky eater son again. ( and having a newly diagnosed nut allergy is not a fun thing to add to the mix lol)
Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #90
thatkid
Mouseketeer

We ate at katie's kitchen once, my family really loved it. They always got the chicken & potatoes, not very creative LOL.
I was at the xmas party on the 3rd. We didn't stay for long, we didn't even see the parade.

my MAKE-A-WISH Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=34622202

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: