Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #151
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmylaj View Post
i love let them be little, i had to play it again as i was reading, now if only i could convince dh that it is a necessary addition to his iphone. lol. awesome job on spongebob coordination and at a good price too. very well played my friend
The song makes me At Bella's preschool graduation last year they played it along with a photo montage of Bella and her classmates. Thank goodness the lights were out and I brought my kleenex. For those non-country fans, even the lyrics are enough to make you teary eyed:

Quote:
I can remember when you fit in the palm of my hand.
You felt so good in it; no bigger than a minute.
How it amazes me you're changin' with every blink.
Faster than a flower blooms, they grow up all too soon.

So let them be little,
'Cause they're only that way for a while.
Give 'em hope, give them praise,
Give them love every day.
Let 'em cry, let 'em giggle,
Let 'em sleep in the middle,
Oh, but let them be little.

I never felt so much in one little tender touch.
I live for those kisses, your prayers an' your wishes.
An' now you're teachin' me how only a child can see.
Tonight, while we're on our knees, all I ask is:

Please, let them be little,
Give them hope, give them praise,
Let 'em sleep in the middle,

The so innocent, precious soul:
You turn around, an' it's time to let them go.

So let them be little,
Give them hope, give 'em praise,
Let them sleep in the middle,

Let them be little.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #152
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Act 2: Scene 2 - The US/IOA Adventure begins!

With our trusty GPS leading the way, DH drove us to Universal Studios. In the interest of saving time, we thought it would be a good idea to feed Bella in the van on the way to the parks each morning. Big mistake. Huge. Gigantic, colossal, enormous! Bella was in no mood to eat, and she wanted nothing to do with the yogurt she needed to eat. While battling her swinging arms, I fed her bites of yogurt as she screamed the entire way to Universal Studios. Whenever we hit a stoplight, I would quickly help her take a drink. Her swallowing coordination is very poor and when the van takes off, a larger than usual amount of liquid is ususally swallowed. If Bella isn’t prepared for it, it will cause her to gag and vomit. Bella came pretty close to ruining her new Spongebob outfit before we even arrived at the park!

As we neared the park, the GPS went a little wacky and decided to take us to the employee entrance! Knowing this wasn’t correct, we turned around and found the regular parking ramp, despite our GPS telling us in a sassy Tinkerbell voice: “Oooooh noooooo, now you’ve reeeeeeally done it. Hang a U’ie.” LMAO I love my GPS.

I haven’t been to US since the early 90’s when it was fairly new but experiencing many technical difficulties. I still recall the Jaws ride, but Nickelodeon Studios was by far my favorite part of the park. I remember tasting ‘slime’, viewing the set of Allegra’s Window, and having my 15 minutes of fame as I auditioned for a game show. Alas, Nickelodeon Studios is now gone, and while Jaws still remains, the Universal Studios I remember is essentially nonexistent. I know nothing about the ‘new’ Universal with the exception of what I have read here on the boards. I truly didn’t know what to expect, but I didn’t give the park or it’s staff a whole lot of credit. Boy was I wrong!

After disobeying our Tinkerbell GPS, we pulled up to the booth attendant and showed her our GKTW pin /MAW pin /Guest Access Pass. I had combined them all into one lanyard, not knowing which would come in handy at any given time. She gave us a green tag to put in our front window and instructed us to follow the blue line! Yea – preferred parking, here we come!

I had been warned about the loooooong walk to get to the actual park from the parking structure. Thanks to the assistance of moving walkways (does anyone else find these fun?), the first part of our trek wasn’t too bad.

We met my DBIL, TJ by the multiplex theater and continued walking. TJ lives and works in Orlando (as an animator for EA games) and we were thrilled that he took the day off to join us at US.

We continued on and saw restaurants, stores, face painting, and other attractions. Universal Studios? Nope, just kidding. We had only made it to Universal’s CityWalk.

It was raining a little harder now so Kennedy put on her poncho. Then she asked me to take a picture of her surfing. The other two joined in.

Another 10 minutes of walking (now unassisted by the moving walkways so we had to use our own two feet – how dare they!) and we finally, finally made it to Universal Studios!

Before going through the turnstiles, we stopped to check which rides Kennedy and Bella would be tall enough for.

Kennedy is about 47 inches. So let’s see – ET? Check! Simpsons? You betcha! Mummy? Hmmmmm . . . not quite. Bummer

And Bella’s height test? ET? Easily! Woody Woodpecker? Without a doubt! Jimmy Neutron? Ummmmm . . . . ahhhhhhh . . . . questionable!

We proceeded through the turnstiles and head to the left to pick up our stroller. I have my ‘complimentary’ stroller ticket that I picked up from GKTW this morning. I show them the ticket and ask if it’s possible I could pay the difference for a double. No worries, I am told I can just have a double stroller! Yea!

I had no touring plan for Universal so we just begin meandering down the street when Bella spies a familiar face on a sign. It’s Jimmy Neutron’s Nicktoons Blast. Oh, but we know Bella is just a hair under the height requirement. However, there are stationary seats for little riders so we give it a shot.

It’s our first time using the GAC/GKTW/MAW badge and we weren’t quite sure what to do with it. So like any brave parent leading her family . . . . I handed it to Bella and told her to show the lady at the front of the line!

Of course I went with her! What kind of coward . . .er, um, I mean mother do you think I am? The lady closed off the end of the line and lead us around to the far side of the entrance. We got some interesting looks from others who had clearly been waiting for a few minutes when they realized that we would be admitted before them, but nobody said anything. After I whispered into Bella’s ear to “stand very, very tall” in her 2 inch chunky heeled tennis shoes, she was measured and SHE MADE IT! Just barely, and maybe it was the large hairbows, but Bella was exactly 40 inches and able to ride Jimmy Neutron! She was soooooo excited!

It continued to rain outside and while most of us were under a canopy, there wasn’t quite room for all of us. As I had only brought enough ponchos for my family, TJ decided to use Kennedy to keep dry!

After just a few moments, we were lead into Jimmy’s Lab. We watched a short video and discovered that evil Ooblar was trying to steal Jimmy’s Rocket creation, the Mark 4! We had to help him!

After the video, the doors opened and we hopped into our rockets! (4 people per rocket).

After brief instructions, we were soon chasing Ooblar through many of the greatest Nickelodeon cartoons. We saw the Fairly Odd Parents and Spongebob (and experienced a splashdown into his pineapple under the sea). We flew through a backyard party with the Rugrats and accidentally dragged Angelica up the stairs by her ponytails! But the best part of all was doing the Chicken Dance with a giagantic alien chicken! We were all laughing out loud and having a great time!

As we exited the ride into a store filled with every Nickelodeon character, game, toy, and souvenier you can imagine, we noticed a Spongebob backdrop to our left, but no Spongebob. We looked around, and saw a line of people waiting to see him. I asked an employee when he would be coming out and she said ‘wait here just one minute.” And went behind a door only to emerge with Spongebob several seconds later! We started towards the back of the line when that same employee shouted “Stop!” So I did. Uh Oh! What did I do wrong? The employee gestured to Bella and motioned for her to come through the exit so she could be the first to meet Spongebob! AJ and Kennedy quickly followed.

The girls ran to Spongebob and gave him big hugs.

He indicated that he liked their sweatshirts and, expressed disappointment that DH and I were not wearing them as well. Spongebob and my 3 Spongebabies posed for a picture that turned out so awesome I ended up using my complimentary photo voucher to purchase it!

After browsing the Nickelodeon Store for a few minutes, we exited and heard a SHRIEK!

Act 2: Scene 3 - Donkey Love and Ogre Affection

Last edited by StefaniLyn; 01-07-2010 at 09:13 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #153
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Act 2: Scene 3 - Donkey Love and Ogre Affection

Sorry to leave you hanging. It's just that darn 25 photo limit. Anyway, where were we?

Shriek? Did I say shriek? I meant SHREK! Bella was bouncing up and down yelling Shrek! Shrek! Shrek! at the sight of the Shrek 4-D show just across the street from us. We grabbed the girls by a hand and ran across, hoping to escape the rain. At the end of the line, we once again found an employee and Bella showed her the GAC/GKTW/MAW pass.

Instead of being lead to the wheelchair accessible line, the employee asked if we would prefer to wait somewhere warm and out of the rain. Um, YES! So we were lead around to the side of the building into a small room by a stairwell. It was dry, and most importantly, WARM. And it was awesome! We were able to sit and relax while waiting for the next show to start.

After about 5 minutes, a Dungeon Keeper came to get us, just like the sign said.
We were lead to the front of a waiting area and given 3D glasses before the rest of the line was let in from another entrance. The inside waiting area itself is amusing and filled with all sorts of torture devices.

Once the waiting area was filled, we saw short show featuring the Magic Mirror, 3 Little Pigs, and some other Shrek Characters. It was amusing, but lead the girls to believe we were going to be tortured in the next room. We assured them they would be fine! We couldn't wait for the movie to start.

After the show, theater doors opened and we found our seats inside. The show itself was great. It included many of the characters from the movie as well as the voices of he original cast (I think!). Lord Farquad (now a ghost) kidnaps Fiona and we tag along with Shrek and Donkey as they try to save her. In typical 4D fashion, we experienced water sprays, wind, and seat movement. There was also a fire breathing dragon that warmed us all up. It was great! Bella became scared a couple of times, but was fine once she removed her 3D glasses. Of course, in the end they all lived Happily Ever After!

We exited through a store filled with Shrek-everything. As we approached the exit of the store, we noticed that it was no longer raining – IT WAS POURING! We crowded into a small vestibule and, like a hundred other people with the same idea, attempted to put on our ponchos. That’s when we spotted Shrek and Donkey across the street. DH went to go get the stroller (still parked over by Jimmy Neutron) while we headed over to see Shrek and Donkey.

We joined the line behind two other families. When we made it to the front of the line, the employee nicely reprimanded me for joining the regular line. He said that we should always go through the exit when meeting characters and show them Bella’s lanyard.

Shrek and Donkey were amazing and I wish DH didn’t take the video camera with when he went to get the camera. They were HILARIOUS! First, Shrek introduced himself and his friend, Donkey.

Their voices were both identical to Mike Meyers and Eddie Murphy. I was impressed. Then Shrek asked AJ what their names were. AJ introduced herself, Kennedy, and then Bella.

All of a sudden, Shrek started singing (to the tune of Rhianna’s Umbrella) Under my Um-Bella Bella Bella Bella, hey, hey, hey! and had them all dancing around. It was adorable.

Then Donkey insisted everybody “put your hands in the air, and wave them like you just don’t care . . . “ I was nearly falling over from laughing so hard. Kennedy was having a giggle fit, and even the people in line behind us were laughing hysterically!

Shrek and Donkey posed for a few pictures with the girls (I wish I had taken their ponchos off!)

and they gave good bye high fives.

But wait, it wasn't over yet. Shrek and Donkey spent even more time with the girls.

I must admit that at this point, even though I was practically rolling on the floor laughing, I felt kinda bad for the other people waiting in line because Shrek and Donkey were spending so much time with our girls. Fortunately, it didn't take us long to get used to this special treatment as we experienced it all week long!

After two rides and two character meets, my impression of Universal Studios was positively positive. And we couldn't wait to see more, more, more!!!

Act 2: Scene 4 - A Shoe Swappin', Jaws Droppin', Simp-ly Good Time!

Last edited by StefaniLyn; 01-10-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #154
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

Too cute! I love Shrek. I think my list of movie nights is growing.

What did the Universal strollers look like? I'm trying to decide between borrowing an umbrella for Tessa or using the rentals at the parks.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #155
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyanggirls View Post
Too cute! I love Shrek. I think my list of movie nights is growing.

What did the Universal strollers look like? I'm trying to decide between borrowing an umbrella for Tessa or using the rentals at the parks.
The strollers at Universal are very similar to Disney. They are hard plastic. The doubles were roomy enough for my AJ and Kennedy to sit on the seat and Bella to sit in front of them. I'm trying to find a picture, but I think the only one I had was lost on the flashdrive. Sorry.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #156
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaniLyn View Post
The strollers at Universal are very similar to Disney. They are hard plastic. The doubles were roomy enough for my AJ and Kennedy to sit on the seat and Bella to sit in front of them. I'm trying to find a picture, but I think the only one I had was lost on the flashdrive. Sorry.
That's okay. Your description is great. It sounds like the double would almost be too much for one kid. I was thinking a double would give her room to sleep if she wanted but I don't know for sure if she will. Maybe a single or umbrella will be fine for her.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #157
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

I was happy to fnd, after being gone far too long, that I had missed only 2 updates!! Scooby and Shrek. They were both great updates!! Honestly, I expected far fewer pix., but looky loo, you have some great memories, at least from the days you've shown so far.

Shrek, especially, sounded hilarious!! I wish I could have been there.

I'm happy to hear that you got to have "special" stuff all week long. I know some people don't get it, but then again, some people don't get it about how you have to feed her 4 times a day either. Bummer about the rain! I do hope those ponchos kept you high and dry!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #158
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

It looks like you guys had a great time in spite of the rain, hooray! That pic with the girls and spongebob is an awesome pic! All three of them smiling and looking at the cam! I have trouble just getting one to do that, nevermind three! Very cool the girls getting so much time with the characters. I'm really looking forward to Shrek and Donkey as well..everyone who has mentioned them has had a wonderful experience with them. Piper loves the Shrek movies, but has seen them lots. I'm thinking we may need to rent ET for one of our nights. Can't wait to read more!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #159
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyanggirls View Post
That's okay. Your description is great. It sounds like the double would almost be too much for one kid. I was thinking a double would give her room to sleep if she wanted but I don't know for sure if she will. Maybe a single or umbrella will be fine for her.
I would actually suggest the double. It's not huge (just wide enough for 2 girls to sit side by side), and the paths at the parks are plenty wide so we had no trouble navigating with it. Especially if you think she might sleep, the double will be more comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
I was happy to fnd, after being gone far too long, that I had missed only 2 updates!! Scooby and Shrek. They were both great updates!! Honestly, I expected far fewer pix., but looky loo, you have some great memories, at least from the days you've shown so far.

Shrek, especially, sounded hilarious!! I wish I could have been there.

I'm happy to hear that you got to have "special" stuff all week long. I know some people don't get it, but then again, some people don't get it about how you have to feed her 4 times a day either. Bummer about the rain! I do hope those ponchos kept you high and dry!
I had already uploaded nearly all of my photos from Day 1 and 2 to facebook before my flash drive crashed thankfully. So while most of these pictures won't be printable, I can still link them to my trip report. Day 3, 4, 5, and 6 are going to require you to use a lot of imagination because I only have a handful of pictures for each of those days.

I was pleasantly surprised at the special treatment we recieved at Universal. I'm not sure why, but I just didn't expect it.

The rain wasn't too bad, yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipersmom View Post
It looks like you guys had a great time in spite of the rain, hooray! That pic with the girls and spongebob is an awesome pic! All three of them smiling and looking at the cam! I have trouble just getting one to do that, nevermind three! Very cool the girls getting so much time with the characters. I'm really looking forward to Shrek and Donkey as well..everyone who has mentioned them has had a wonderful experience with them. Piper loves the Shrek movies, but has seen them lots. I'm thinking we may need to rent ET for one of our nights. Can't wait to read more!
I was shocked myself, and a little worried that it my luck had come too soon and it would be the only great picture I had all week so I bought it right away!

Sometimes it's Shrek and Donkey, but at other times it's Fiona with Donkey. I'm not sure if there is a schedule of who will be there at what time. We just got lucky and it was Shrek (my girls LOVE him, especially because he is so funny)

My kids had previously seen Shrek, but I think a Shrek Family Night would have been awesome. Roasted Pig, gingerbread men, swamp slime . . . . the food especialy would have been fun to come up with!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #160
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Loved Shrek & Donkey!! I am so glad to hear you all had a great time at US - we've never visited and hope to on our next trip. Too bad it was raining so hard but hopefully it lets up so you can enjoy the rest of your day. BTW do you think (now that you've visited US) that a one day pass would be enough? I'm not sure whether to visit Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios - I really want to see the Harry Potter attraction but can't remember which park it's supposed to be at.

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #161
rosedolph
Mouseketeer

Great trip report!

And Then!!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #162
kdzbear
DIS Veteran

I love the Sponge Bob photos. It was nice of the cast member to find you a dry and somewhat warm place to wait. It looks like the girls were enjoying themselves!

Tyler's Wish Trip (Nov. 20-25, 2009): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2154359 Sept. 12-20, 2009 Trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2292505
Old 01-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #163
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Loved Shrek & Donkey!! I am so glad to hear you all had a great time at US - we've never visited and hope to on our next trip. Too bad it was raining so hard but hopefully it lets up so you can enjoy the rest of your day. BTW do you think (now that you've visited US) that a one day pass would be enough? I'm not sure whether to visit Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios - I really want to see the Harry Potter attraction but can't remember which park it's supposed to be at.
Harry Potter will have it's own Island at Islands of Adventure when it opens next year. It will be after The Lost Continent and before Jurassic Park. We saw glimpses of it (I will have some pics in my trip report, but you will have to wait until day 9) and it looks incredible.

A one vs. two day pass depends on how many little kids you will have with. If the trip is all about little ones, then Seuss Landing and Jurassic Park are about the only things in IOA for them. US has a few more, but not a full days's worth.

If you are going with adults and older kids, there are many rides and attractions at both parks and would more likely require two days. IOA has two coasters (Hulk and Dueling Dragons) as well as a couple of water rides. And US has quite a few rides for older kids and adults as well.

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but I hope it gives you an idea of how long each park can take depending on who you are going with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosedolph View Post
Great trip report!
Thank you, and thanks for chiming in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzbear View Post
I love the Sponge Bob photos. It was nice of the cast member to find you a dry and somewhat warm place to wait. It looks like the girls were enjoying themselves!
I need to scan the purchased photo and post it as well. It's very cute with the border around it.

It really so nice to have somewhere warm and dry. The girls were wearing sweatshirts, but their legs were bare in skirts and getting rather chilly.

And they were definitely having a great time!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #164
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

GREAT Universal update!! I haven't been there since '94 and it looks totally different than it did back then!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #165
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Great updates!!! Once again it looks like everyone was having a blast!!!! It was so nice for the characters to spend extra time with the girls. I'm glad you still had these pics. If you are on facebook you can save a picture to your desktop by right licking it. The print quality won't be as good as the original but at least you will have some pics printed.

I wonder if/when we go to US what rides Juliana would be able to do. She is about 40 inches now. I''m not sure she would even know who Shrek is. She knows Sponge Bob though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: