Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
disney_mommy
"Dear god, what am I doing? This is half a man."

I Did It! I Did It!! The Princess Half Marathon and Solo Adventure Trip Report

First, here is the link back to my pre-trip report in case anyone is interested in reading.

So, for a quick recap - I'm a 31 year old single mom who wanted to do a Disney race, ended up signed up for the Princess Half, and decided to make it a little solo trip for myself. There, now you don't need to read the pre-trip report. Of course, that recap has none of my personailty and wit, so you're taking your chances...

Let me set the stage on our opening scene:

It's dark and though the moon is out, it's not very bright. Everyone is asleep, even the mice and birds, there is not a sound to be heard. I am tucked snugly in my bed with the electric blanket cranked up to 9, sleeping soundly, a dreamless sleep. Suddenly, an alarm goes off. It's loud and insistent, it can't be ignored. Wait, yes it can, there's a snooze button, slap it!

It's peaceful again, everything has returned to sleep in the post-buzzing quiet. Suddenly, there's that beeping again. Why is this noise interrupting my slumber? It's Saturday, I don't have to work! Wait, it is Saturday, isn't it? Let me think... oh, yeah, I've got a plane to catch! What time is it?! It's 3am! Okay, time to get up.

Now, let's skip ahead to after the plane has landed. You don't want to hear the details about how I fell asleep on the plane and woke myself up snoring. I have not checked any luggage, so I pass that by and head straight to Disney's Magical Express. The only problem here is it's a long way away! Lots of walking to get to the other side of the terminal. There's no line, and I have my little blue booklet ready, so I get scanned and told which line to get in. There are 2 young girls in line in front of me. I'm so excited to be there I can hardly stand it! I'm grinning like an idiot, and the fact that I'm alone doesn't help.

The bus arrives and we get waved through to board. I hop right in the front seat and get out my phone so I can start texting people that I'm there. Only a few more people get on the bus then. The two young gals and their parents sit opposite me in the first and second rows. Off we go and then I'm watching the "Welcome" DVD that plays on the way to our resort.

Suddenly, I'm aware of the sound of someone getting sick. The poor guy in the front seat is retching into a bag. I feel so sorry for him, he clearly feels like crap. One of his daughters scoots over next to him and starts rubbing his back, which I think is so sweet. From what I can gather from their talking, he woke up that morning sick. I couldn't tell if it was an illness or some kind of food poisoning or what. But he was obviously a trooper and didn't want to ruin the vacation for his family. Luckily, he doesn't get sick anymore, he just sort of dozes until we arrive at the resort.

And now, I'm home! Animal Kingdom Lodge was the first Disney resort I stayed at as an adult, and it has always been my favorite. There is no greater feeling than walking through the front door and hearing "Jambo! Welcome home." I head right towards the front desk to check in, planning on just dropping off my bag and heading out. After all, it is only 10:30am. But I'm checked in in minutes and handed a room key! I say "It's ready?" She says "It sure is, you can head on up." Yippee!

So up I go to the fifth floor, where all of the Vacation Club rooms are. I have to walk to the elevators and then backtrack a bit. I was hoping for something a little closer to the main part of the building, but hey, I'll take it!

The room is amazing, of course. It's considered a studio, but is plenty big for just me. I have a pool view, but can still see plenty of green, so I'm okay with that. The flat screen TV is very large and is on an arm, so it can be swung out from the wall and turned in different directions. There is plenty of room in the armoire for my hanging clothes, and I only need to put things in 2 of the drawers, they're so big.

I didn't intend to unpack, but on a suggestion I read on a board, I go ahead and lay out all of my race things, so in case I forgot something, I can pick it up at the expo. Luckily, I have everything I will need. I am so tempted to just keep unpacking and taking pictures and enjoying the room, but I know I need to get over to the expo, so I change from pants into a pair of capris and out I go.

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)
February 2011-Girlfriend Trip, offsite (Deb, you still rock!)

Last edited by disney_mommy; 04-14-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Señor DonDuck
DIS Veteran

Been there with the snoring waking you up. Always fun. Sounds like you had quite a "magical" bus ride. Look forward to more.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
cmp1111
DIS Veteran

How nice to get an alone trip, and to AKL, no less! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Melknor
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to read more of your TR. I would love to run in the Princess half marathon some day! I just started the C25K program, so if all goes well, I may one day run it!

April 2010 TR - Aloha Adventures with Stink-eye, Chunk Hurling and Pixie Dust 4/21 - 4/27
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post36477614

May/June 2011 - Off Site - Indian Creek

July 2014 - Disneyland - 1st Trip!!

Me , DH , DS9 & DS14
Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
disney_mommy

The Expo

Thanks to my meticulous research (read - anal tendencies), I know that from AKL, I need to take a bus to DHS, then transfer to a bus heading to WWoS. So after I drag myself out of my room, I head to the AKL bus stop, out the front door and a little walk down to the left. I only had to wait about 3 minutes before a DHS bus shows up and I'm on my way. It was so cool to see The Tower of Terror as we pulled up. I thought about heading into the park to ride a few rides before the expo, but I resisted and found the bus stop for the WWoS.

There were quite a few people waiting there as well, and luckily we didn't have to wait long (oh, how complacent I quickly became!) before we were heading out. The parking lot was packed full and there were a ton of people milling around outside the building as we approached. I found the right entrance and quickly headed to where packet pick up was. No wait and I had my little purple mesh backpack in my hot little hands. What comes next? Shopping, of course!

This is my first race, and hence my first expo, but Im going to assume this was representative of all expos. Yowza! It was so crowded you could barely scoot up to the booths to see what the people were selling. I would have liked to look at the jewerly more closely, but no way was I going to fight the crazy people elbowing and jostling to get to the front of the tables. I did manage to score a double pocket black SpiBelt (yay for no shipping!) and a few extra GU in Chocolate Outrage (yum!). You'll never get me to admit what I had to do to purchase these things, however. I'm not proud of myself.

I was so excited to see the Disney branded merchandise, but I was really disappointed. A few tee shirts, some ears, shot glasses and mugs. They did have a cute pair of running shorts and a matching singlet, but I'm more of a "cover yourself up" kind of girl, so those wouldn't have worked for me. All in all not what I was expecting.

After I decided I had shopped until I was ready to drop (or ready to drop kick the next person that elbowed me), I headed toward the exit and back to DHS.

The wait for a bus took much longer this time. There were a whole bunch of us lounging on the sidewalk and in the grass. A lot of us had opened up our packets and were reading the program and rules, etc. Some of us were using the opportunity to sunbathe. And by some of us, I mean the scantily clad trio of teenagers laying on the sidewalk sucking on lollipops and holding their trim legs up in the air for all of us to admire. The rest of us enjoyed that very much.

Finally the bus shows up and we all board. Once back at DHS, I walked around like a doofus looking for the correct bus stop to take me back to AKL...

"Now sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find that you're down, well, just look around. You still got a body, good legs and fine feet, get your head in the right place and hey you're complete!" ~Jackalope

June 2003-AKL for DS's 5th birthday April 2006-7 Night Western June 2007-Surprise Disney World for DS's 9th birthday, offsite December 2007-7 Night Eastern June 2008-AK & Epcot in one day, offsite January 2009-A Diva and Her Mom Invade Disney, CBR March 2010-Princess Half-Marathon, AKV October 2010-Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, offsite (thanks Deb, you rock!)

Last edited by disney_mommy; 04-14-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Stitch2007
Mouseketeer

I have done the half and full marathon is January and the expo was just as crowded. I always want to look around at the vendors, but the crowd gets to me. I usually pick my stuff up, purchase a couple of disney merchandise, and leave.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
mla1977
I dream of living in Bay Lake Tower for the rest of my life!

I was down there for the race too! I had such great time and can't wait to read about your experiences there too.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
solar
DIS Veteran

trip report

subscribing to the thread...was great to meet you and so glad to stumble across your trip report!

Congrats on such an awesome job

My blog ---> DebRunning.com
Old 03-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
disney_mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor DonDuck View Post
Been there with the snoring waking you up. Always fun. Sounds like you had quite a "magical" bus ride. Look forward to more.
So embarassing! And yes, quite a way to start my vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1111 View Post
How nice to get an alone trip, and to AKL, no less! Thanks for sharing!
My first solo trip ever! Now that my son is 11, I thought it was time for me to take a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melknor View Post
Can't wait to read more of your TR. I would love to run in the Princess half marathon some day! I just started the C25K program, so if all goes well, I may one day run it!
If you just started the program, you are well on your way to being there for the 2011 race! Good luck.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

Hi, disney_mommy! I remember seeing you post over on the Princess thread on the Wish boards, so I was really excited when I came across your report!!

I loved the line about drop kicking the next person who elbowed you--that pretty much sums up how I felt as well.

And I have to say, I want to know what it was that you did to get the Spi belt and the GU's. You've got me intrigued! LOL! Inquiring minds wanna know!

Anyway, I can't wait to read more of your report and hear about the race through your eyes. I know it was definitely a wonderful experience for me, so I hope it was the same for you!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
disney_mommy

Now I've finally arrived back at my beautiful resort. I stop at the quick service restaurant Mara and grab a diet coke, small salad and a chocolate milk (someone on ROTE mentioned that was the best post-race thing to eat/drink). Once I'm back in my room, I finish unpacking and get everything ready for the race tomorrow. I lay out my clothes on a chair, put the D-chip on my shoe, turn on my Garmin so the GPS adjusts its location, fill the new Spibelt with GUs, tissues and chews. I decide to stash my phone in the checked bag and keep my camera in one of the belt pockets. I put my oatmeal, a bowl and a spoon out on the counter. I lay my sweatshirt and blanket by the door.

Now I'm ready to relax a bit before I head out to dinner. So do I head out and explore my favorite resort? Nope, I sit down on the couch and turn on the TV. I eat my salad and flip through the channels, trying to find something interesting. I end up watching one of those true crime shows where they follow a case from beginning to end. (PS - the guy was found guilty and his defense that he was sleep walking during the murder was dismissed.) In a bit, it's time for me to head over to meet my friends from ROTE for a pre-race meet and greet.

For the sake of brevity, I'm going to skip all of the bits about catching the right bus and transferring and the waiting, etc. Unless otherwise mentioned, just go ahead and assume that I found the right bus, transferring took forever, the waits were long and the whole 'having to bus it' thing sucked.

Okay, so I end up at Caribbean Beach. I've stayed there before and so was familiar with the layout. It is still just as beautful as ever with great theming throughout. I find my group over in the food court and we have a great dinner together. I really enjoyed meeting the people I had been talking to over the 'net for months. (I got the fettucine alfredo with a breadstick and it was barely edible.) Not too much later and everyone starts saying it's time to leave because we've got an early morning (can anyone say understatement?).

So back at my room, the first thing I do is set alarms. That's right, plural. My cell phone, the in-room alarm clock and a wake up call, all staggered to go off around 3am. In the morning. Did you hear that? The morning! I think that must be the worst part of a race, the early morning wake up. Anyway, I get ready for bed, check that everything's ready to go for the race, call and say goodnight to my family and get into bed. And though I had been afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep, I am tired enough that I drop right off. And I don't wake up at all during the night, which several people mentioned they'd done before. But, I've always been blessed with an ability to sleep through just about everything (including the tornado that knocked a tree on top of my house and broke through the roof and window of the room across the hall). Lucky me I guess.

Next up - the race!

Old 04-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
disney_mommy

Ah, the race. My whole reason for walking the past 12 weeks. My whole reason for buying new shoes and new outifits and worrying over whether I should wear a running skirt or capris. The reason I spent money on chews and gus and bloks and socks (I could not would not want my spending stop). The reason I put on a crossing guard-like neon yellow reflective vest for night time walks. The reason I learned about hydrating and pace. The reason I spent $120 to enter the race, $200 to fly there and $450 for someplace to stay. THE RACE!

The first thing I remember that morning is Mickey Mouse talking in that high pitched voice of his. As I began to wake up, I started wondering why Mickey Mouse was talking to me. Where in the world was I? Suddenly, I opened my eyes and saw my room. I was in Animal Kingdom Lodge! And apparently, when the wake up call came in, I picked up the phone and laid it on my ear and went back to sleep. I'm not sure how long I let Mickey go on, but it must have only been a few seconds because next my cell phone alarm went off. I hung up with Mickey and turned off my cell alarm. As I was contemplating whether I could skip my shower for another 10 minutes of sleep, the room's alarm clock went off. I decided it was best to go ahead and rise and shine.

I was ready pretty quickly, considering the areyoufreakingcrazy hour. I scarfed down a granola bar and lots of water while getting ready and was out the door by 3:40 a.m. There was another gal getting on the elevator at the same time as me. We were both still sort of half asleep, so there was no conversation on the elevator ride down. We may have grunted at each other once or twice...

In the lobby, which was eerily quiet, there were about 7 other gals milling around. A few were heading to cars in the parking lot, but most were waiting for someone to pick them up. As I was leaving, my ride (the very generous sailors_wfe) walked in. We introduced ourselves and climbed into her car.

It didn't take long to get to the Epcot parking lot. There were lots of cars out and about, but everything was well controlled by the lot attendants. We parked, gathered our things and headed into the chaos.

There were tons of people. Everyone was cold and bundled up. Most were jumping up and down in an effort to stay warm. Or because they had to pee. I didn't ask so I can't be sure, but I'm certain it was probably warm thing. saiors_wfe and I milled around checking things out. There was a stage to the left and some music blaring, though nobody appeared to be on the stage. There was a line of port-a-potties, and each one had a line of people waiting to use them. We waited in line and took our turns. Yuck. 'Nuff said. A DJ came onto the stage and started talking to the crowd, getting everyone pumped up. Soon there were about 100 people doing the Cha Cha Slide and the YMCA. I split off from sailors_wfe to find ROTE and spent a few minutes with them. Finally, I headed into the bag check area (after one last FB update!) and went on the absurdly long walk to get to the start line. Seriously, Disney, what were you thinking?

I found my corral easily enough and slipped in. Then came the waiting. And waiting. And waiting. You get the idea. The DJ had moved to the start line and had a fairy godmmother with him. They were entertaining everyone and had a "roving reporter" who was talking to the racers. They had a couple of large jumbo screens set up so even the people in the back could see and hear what was going on. After a while, I just plopped down on the cold ground to wait.

There were lots of single people and lots of groups of people in the crowd, so I never felt out of place being alone. I had my ipod with me and could have turned that on, but I didn't want to miss anything, so I just sort of spent the time psyching myself up and checking everyone out. I saw this dude who was such a good sport. He was letting people take pictures with him and laughing along.

Finally (a few minutes late) they started getting ready for the start. There was a countdown, then fireworks! A few seconds later, our corral started surging forward. A few more minutes of waiting, then another countdown and more fireworks. Again, we moved forward, coutdown, fireworks. Finally, corral D was at the start.

I couldn't believe the time was finally here! All this time getting ready, and it was about to happen. Would I be able to finish, which was my goal? I was about to find out.

Before I knew it, there was a countdown, then fireworks and we were off!

(I intended to cover the entire race with this post, but it's time for me to turn off my work computer and head home, so I'll continue this soon.)

Last edited by disney_mommy; 04-14-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
DisneyMomma09
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a great trip so far! I am planning on running in the Princess half next year, so I am looking forward to reading about the race and the rest of your trip. Congrats on doing it!

My Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon Trip Report!
I Wish I May, I Wish I Might, Please Don't Let Us Miss Our Flight! An August 2011 PTR
*New! Interpreting Toddler-Speak at Disney! Aug 2011 TR*

August 2006 Wilderness Lodge, August 2007 Wilderness Lodge, June 2008 Saratoga Springs, November 2008 Wilderness Lodge, June 2010 Old Key West, February 2011 Bay Lake Towers (Finished Princess 1/2!), August 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
Old 04-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

I am enjoying reading this!

I also did the Princess Half this year; it was also my first half marathon. I am interested to read more about your experience. Already I'm seeing a few differences from your weekend to mine. For example, we went to the parks on Saturday instead of just relaxing like you did. You must be more responsible (sensible??) than me!

I also set an estimated million alarms. Well, maybe it was just 7.

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: