Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica52877 View Post
Hey! That was a teaser! He IS quite adorable in his gingerbread costume!
Isn't he cute!

More coming soon, I promise!!!

Before the day is over, I will have ANOTHER update up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkid View Post
i'm so excited to read more!
Hi darling! I can't wait to share it with ya!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #17
Momofwishkid
DIS Veteran

Im here! Good job so far Maroo but your really leaving us hanging arent you I cant wait to hear more.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #18
maroo
DIS Veteran

Well, it is raining here in Arkansas - where I am for Christmas - so there is not much to do but hang out and watch TV. And DIS. Of course. So...maybe I will put something up pretty soon.

Can you believe we have gotten almost TEN inches of rain in the last two days here and it is STILL raining?!?!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #19
kimmylaj
DIS Veteran

maroo , you know i love you but i should be cooking not checking for updates.
oh well, i 'll be back for more later, i only have about 50 boxes to put ribbons on while i wait
Old 12-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #20
maroo
DIS Veteran

Where were we?

Oh...Well...I suppose we really have not even started! Sorry about that!

For weeks before our trip, I had been studying the weather. Particularly paying attention to THIS night. December 17, 2009. I was quite concerned for our trip because the young lady I was traveling with has a severe reaction to cold weather and the weather forecast had been showing a low of 41 degrees (wind chill in the 30's) and highs in the low 60's on December 17th. That forecast really freaked me out - so much so that I shipped a bunch of very warm clothes to our resort in case we needed them for this night.

But as we got closer to our trip, the forecast began to change and the low temperatures got up in the 50's and then even showed a LOW in the 60's! This was a huge blessing for us! But as we neared this day, the rain started to show up in the forecast with the warm weather. The morning of the big day the forecast showed a low of 65! But also a 70% chance of showers and thunderstorms. The forecast even warned of heavy rain and high winds. Great.

But we got up that morning and packed our ponchos and by that evening it had rained some, but seemed to be clearing up. I was checking the radar with my iPhone about once every 5 minutes. But the storms seemed to be gone.

My grand plan had my group of 7 arriving to the Magic Kingdom at 4:00 sharp with our tickets so that we could eat and get everyone settled before the first parade. I figured we would all - Matty's family included - watch the first parade from Town Square that way we could all basically stay together for the evening.

For reasons that will be revealed later my other trip report, my group did not make it to the Magic Kingdom until...almost SEVEN. I needed to get my group settled with a plan, we all needed to eat and I needed to get to Matty's family ASAP. So my group had a quick meeting with the MVMCP Map and decided that they would do things in a different order and watch the second parade. So we split off pretty quick and I called Pamela to meet up with them.

It was so cool to meet Pamela, Steven, Matty and his brothers and sister! They were so sweet! This was a little different than some of my other meets, because this was really the first time that we had talked (besides a few short conversations about where to meet, etc) - but I felt very comfortable with them instantly!

We wanted to make sure and get a great spot for the parade, so we lined up VERY early near the bend of the street on Town Square - right by City Hall.

When we lined up we were one of the only people on the street.

Here is a picture of where we ended up (these pictures were taken later when some people had lined up!)

Looking to the left...

Looking to the right....

Steven and I walked over to Casey's to get some supper for the whole crew - Yummy Casey's! (But I really wish they would bring back the OLD hot dogs! Who wants to be healthy on vacation?!? But I digress!)

At 8:15 the parade was starting in Frontierland.

And at 8:15 THIS is what the "crowds" looked like by us waiting for the parade...(not a great picture, but you will get the idea)...

Can you believe that?!?! It was barely one person deep - on Town Square! - and this was the FIRST parade!

I think that the threat of bad weather kept a lot of people from braving the "weather" for the party.

Our weather, though, was PERFECT! I don't recall any more than sprinkles the whole night! And it was in the upper 60's all night, too! PERFECT weather!

At 8:15 Matty put on his costume and got settled for the parade!!!

Isn't he cute!

Up Next: The Parade Begins!

Last edited by maroo; 12-24-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
maroo
DIS Veteran

It was not long before we started hearing the music and then saw THIS!

Matty's Dad was stationed on his right side and was able to get pictures of his face and from the front of him, so I decided to get behind him and try to capture any character interaction from there.

In order to grab this spot, a very nice couple behind me offered to shift spots with me. The couple asked if this child was mine - I explained that he was a Make a Wish child that was going to be able to meet the Gingerbread Men tonight. They were thrilled.

Here was my view from behind Matty...

It was not long before the Magic began...I am not sure if the entire parade route was aware of the Wish - or if they just thought he was so cute?! Could have been either, probably!

But I will let the pictures tell most of this part of the story....

Donald pointing directly at Matty!

These guys were completely enamored by Matty!

And came over to say hello!

I guess patting his head is just about as good as pinching his cheeks!

Beautiful ladies waving directly at him!

She is totally blowing him a kiss!

See....

and

Goofy was pointing at Matty, too!

Then I looked up and see Matty has jumped to his feet!!

Because he sees.......

A Gingerbread HOUSE - which must be followed by................

well...we will just have to see.

Click here for Gingerbread Men and Santa Singled out Matty!

Last edited by maroo; 12-24-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #22
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofwishkid View Post
Im here! Good job so far Maroo but your really leaving us hanging arent you I cant wait to hear more.
Ok, Ok! You twisted my arm!! I wrote some more for ya!

But you guys are going to have to wait a bit for the next installment...

Hopefully these pics will hold you guys off for a little bit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmylaj View Post
maroo , you know i love you but i should be cooking not checking for updates.
oh well, i 'll be back for more later, i only have about 50 boxes to put ribbons on while i wait
Sorry about that!

I hope you don't burn anything!

My mother just "messed up" the boiled custard... Which basically just means it isn't PERFECT...and we all said...Woo Hoo! More for US!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #23
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

OMGosh! I refuse to read this again for atleast a week so there are no more cliffhangers! LOL!

Leaving off right there is just so so .... WRONG!

Great spot you got there! I have been surprised at the lack of people around that area for parades the past 2x we have been.

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
Old 12-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #24
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

Just subbing for now. Will come back in read in a little while.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #25
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica52877 View Post
OMGosh! I refuse to read this again for atleast a week so there are no more cliffhangers! LOL!

Leaving off right there is just so so .... WRONG!

Great spot you got there! I have been surprised at the lack of people around that area for parades the past 2x we have been.
If you wait a whole week...it will be over.

This is going to go pretty fast...so strap in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
Just subbing for now. Will come back in read in a little while.
Awesome! See you then!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #27
yinyanggirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
If you wait a whole week...it will be over.

This is going to go pretty fast...so strap in!

Awesome! See you then!
Awww, I'm teary-eyed already! It's like his own personal parade! Little birdies must have spread the word about him, because that is just crazy cool how everyone spotted him! I'm actually glad you took a little break, cause I still got some presents to wrap! Uh oh!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #28
Momofwishkid
DIS Veteran

Im with Melissa teary eyed already. I know this was the perfect night for Matty and cant imagine what it was like to be there. Thanks for the update Maroo
Old 12-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #29
maroo
DIS Veteran

Matty saw the Gingerbread House - and maybe the Gingerbread Men themselves! And he was so excited!!

Here they come!!

I will let the pictures do most of the talking on this, too... They really speak volumes for themselves!

Waaaaahhhh! It is time for them to go already! I know I took a lot of pictures...but that whole sequence took seconds.

I LOVE this next picture...

I think I captured Matty telling his Mom all about those Gingerbread Men that all came up and talked to HIM! He has turned all the way around and is talking to his Mom - and his hands are just a waving!

It is hard to see in this next one...but these elves are so animated! And all of them are waving and looking at Matty!

And this guy seems to be wanting to recruit Matty for the Army!

And he is STILL pointing at him! He pointed at Matty for a while!

And in preparation for the Big Guy himself - - His reindeer stopped by to say hello to Matty, too!!

Those of us watching...especially those of us in the back that knew the whole story ... well, there was not a dry eye in the house!

But nothing prepared me for what happened next...

In fact... I was so unprepared that my pictures really reflect it!

I am sure you guys are like...Uh...that is a really blurry picture of Santa Claus! And you would be right.

If I had been really prepared, I would have had the camera set to "video" - because it is not as much what Santa did ... as what he said...

Out loud...Loud enough for EVERYONE around us to hear... Santa said, "Merry Christmas, MATTY! You are the best Gingerbread Boy EVER! Merry Christmas Matty!!!"

Directly to MATTY! Santa called him by name!

And THEN there really were NO dry eyes behind sweet Matty!

So, in honor of Christmas Eve - I post this update - Since Santa is now out and about filling up all of those stockings and putting presents under the tree. Matty should be super excited! Because out of ALL of those boys and girls at the Christmas Parade - it was Matty he was saying Merry Christmas to!

Happy Christmas Eve, Matty!

Next Up: Matty and the Gingers Meet! (Which would be perfect for Christmas Day, ya think?)

Matty's Private Meet and Greet with the Gingerbread Men!

Last edited by maroo; 12-25-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #30
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with cliffhangers.

He he.

I deserve that popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyanggirls View Post
Awww, I'm teary-eyed already! It's like his own personal parade! Little birdies must have spread the word about him, because that is just crazy cool how everyone spotted him! I'm actually glad you took a little break, cause I still got some presents to wrap! Uh oh!
You should really grab tissues for the next update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofwishkid View Post
Im with Melissa teary eyed already. I know this was the perfect night for Matty and cant imagine what it was like to be there. Thanks for the update Maroo
You are welcome! And you get another one! 3 updates in one day.....

And we will make sure there is a special Christmas Day update, too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: