Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #91
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

The ornaments on that AK tree are beautiful. So unique, love it!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #92
MEK
DIS Veteran

Loved your last update, but the crowds sound almost unbearable. And all the mountains going down at once ....What's up with that?

I also CAN't Stand when people stop in the middle of a row when it's going to be a full house. What's up with that? Especially if they are difficult to climb over. And I never know.....Am I supposed to wait for them to mover OR just climb over them. Hate that! REally annoys me (can you tell?)

Last June we actually had a wait to get on the peoplemover. First time ever!

That pastry looks so yummy.

I hope you guys get a good nights sleep. I am looking forward to your AK day!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #93
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

Hi!! I just found your TR!! I'm excited to read it as we're planning a trip to WDW this December!!
Old 01-18-2010, 02:36 AM   #94
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Love your AK pictures, that snow man at Dinoland is just fantastic! I think Dinoland is so much fun and it's great that the christmas decortations are just as tacky as the place itself.

I am really excited to go on the Wild by Design tour at AK during our trip, I think they cover a lot of Dinoland. So hopefully we will get to see many of the jokes they have there.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 01-18-2010, 03:44 AM   #95
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

I'm so sorry, Crissy! I got 2 updates behind over here!!

Funny that you call your trips "predictable" and that Sundays are your AK days. It'd be nice to get to go often enough someday to have certain days I call this or that.

I can see why you love the decorations so very much!! They are so beautiful just in your pictures- i can only imagine how lovely they are in REAL life. Again, someday, I'll get there during the holidays. Meantime, I'll enjoy what I see here on TRs like yours

Admittedly, I am one of those who doesn't LOVE Dinoland, but will also say that the theming detailst the Imagineers put in are very clever. Clever enough to make me go there every trip?? Probably not; but fun nevertheless.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #96
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
My favorite day for AK is Sunday also. Your pictures were great and I love the redneck pictures of you on the fun fun rides.
The rest of the parks I mix up, but AK day is always Sunday. I guess it's most predictable, because it's the one park I always hit just once.

My SIL got me renecking photos. I never like any of them enough to actually buy the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Do you avoid the EMH parks? We always do Animal Kingdom on a Tuesday since they don't have any EMHs on that day. We've been pretty lucky with crowds.
I'm a big believer in avoiding EMH parks. I like to cut out the crowds as much as possible, especially at the AK.

Quote:
I want my tree to look like this one! Big surprise, right?
I was thinking of you when I saw that one.

Quote:
I think most people miss the idea behind it. It's supposed to be a bit tacky, and I love the story the Imagineers came up with for it. I get a big kick out of this part of the park as well!
My dirty little secret is that I love tacky, kitchy tourist stuff. It's the part of me that loves watching for all the South of the Border signs on the drive South, and who wants to stop no matter how yucky it is there.

What in the world does that say about me?

Quote:
One day I hope to be able to type these sentences. I don't know what Animal Kingdom feels like when it isn't hotter than the jungles of Vietnam!
It was wonderful. It was the one day I didn't really mind it being cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
The ornaments on that AK tree are beautiful. So unique, love it!
It was one of my favorites. I loved all the theme trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Loved your last update, but the crowds sound almost unbearable. And all the mountains going down at once ....What's up with that?
It seemed like they were having lots of issues with the mountains our entire trip. After one too many bad experiences I wasn't even going to try to get in line without a fastpass again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I also CAN't Stand when people stop in the middle of a row when it's going to be a full house. What's up with that? Especially if they are difficult to climb over. And I never know.....Am I supposed to wait for them to mover OR just climb over them. Hate that! REally annoys me (can you tell?)
That's exactly how I feel. Especially when they are tellling you it's a full house. If you want to be in the center of the row, hang back and let everyone else go in first, don't run them down to enter the row first and then stop. Ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
Hi!! I just found your TR!! I'm excited to read it as we're planning a trip to WDW this December!!
Welcome! It was definitely a new experience seeing Disney in December. I'm glad that I got to try it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Love your AK pictures, that snow man at Dinoland is just fantastic! I think Dinoland is so much fun and it's great that the christmas decortations are just as tacky as the place itself.
It was fitting, wasn't it? I loved it!

Quote:
I am really excited to go on the Wild by Design tour at AK during our trip, I think they cover a lot of Dinoland. So hopefully we will get to see many of the jokes they have there.
I can't wait to hear all about the tour!

[QUOTE=All7OfUs;35052138]I'm so sorry, Crissy! I got 2 updates behind over here!!

Funny that you call your trips "predictable" and that Sundays are your AK days. It'd be nice to get to go often enough someday to have certain days I call this or that. [/quote

I use to average a trip every 5 to 7 years, but the past 4 years or so, I've been taking a trip a year. I've really been enjoying it, but part of me is really feeling like I could use a bit of a break. I think I need to go and check something else out.

Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
I can see why you love the decorations so very much!! They are so beautiful just in your pictures- i can only imagine how lovely they are in REAL life. Again, someday, I'll get there during the holidays. Meantime, I'll enjoy what I see here on TRs like yours
I loved the uniqueness of all the decorations. They put so much thought into decorating each area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Admittedly, I am one of those who doesn't LOVE Dinoland, but will also say that the theming detailst the Imagineers put in are very clever. Clever enough to make me go there every trip?? Probably not; but fun nevertheless.
My favorite part of dinoland is actually the simplest thing. I get a huge kick out of the ground, and how it looks like a traveling carnival set up in a parking lot. For some reason it just makes me smile.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 01-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #97
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

We Interrupt this Trip Report for...

a mini pre-trip report!!!

Yes, in a little over a month I'll be heading to Disney for a spur of the moment vacation!!!

Woo Hoo!

How'd this come about so quickly?

My parents had been talking about going down to Florida for a vacation for awhile. Their plan was to head to Disney for a week, and then rent a car to drive down to visit my grandmother for another week. They'd been discussing this since last fall, but no plans had ever been made. After the New Year they finally set a time for March to head down.

Meanwhile everytime talked to my grandmother on the phone she'd automatically ask me when I was going to come down to visit her. She's 93 years old and has dementia, so she can no longer make trips up north to visit. I'd been wanting to visit, but timing wise nothing was working out.

Then a bit of luck came my way. At work we got the good news earlier this month that after nearly two years of no pay increases or bonuses we'd all be eligible for bonuses in June and would be receiving a one time "transitional" payment in February.

A smarter person would probably use that payment to pay a bill, but my first thought was to use it to visit my grandmother. Since my parents were going to be in Florida, my original plan was to fly to Orlando, have them pick me up and then drive down to my grandmother's with them. Flights were cheaper to Orlando, than the airport near my grandmother's and I wouldn't have to worry about transfers either.

That's how it started. Before I knew it my mother was talking me into joining them in Disney before heading to my grandmother's. At first I was a bit resistent because I didn't want to "crash" their vacation, but they both were insistent that they really wanted me to come.

So...I'm heading to Disney for a bonus trip this year!

I'll be in Disney from Feb. 26th to March 3, and then I'll be driving down to visit my grandmother until March 7th. I won't be doing a regular pre-trip report for the trip, but I will check in here with some of the details.

I'm loving that I'm getting some extra use out of my AP!!!

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #98
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Woo hoo for a mini-vacation to Disney!!!

I love tacky, kitschy, touristy stuff, too, so whatever it says about you, it's saying the same thing about me.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #99
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

I just was about to post asking about your new ticker! How wonderful! It is so funny how everyone with an AP ends up going much more often than originally planned...

for the bonus as well! Besides the money side I think it is always also a great way of feeling appreciated by your employer!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 01-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #100
Lovemy3babes
Is always in need to get herself and her children back to our "Happy Place"!

Great Animal Kingdom pictures, especially the tree! I took many photos of it as well. We rode EE for the first time this year and it scared the bejeezus out of me. I think it was the backwards part! I can't believe you had your hands in the air and not hanging out for dear life. LOL!!

Just me and my girl…a very special 13th Birthday trip!
(updated 2/20/14)
Old 01-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #101
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Woo hoo for a mini-vacation to Disney!!!

I love tacky, kitschy, touristy stuff, too, so whatever it says about you, it's saying the same thing about me.
I'm so happy to be going to Disney again. When I got home in December I was telling myself I needed a Disney break, but as soon as the oppourtunity came up I jumped all over it. I guess I didn't need a break that badly.

Quote:

I just was about to post asking about your new ticker! How wonderful! It is so funny how everyone with an AP ends up going much more often than originally planned...

for the bonus as well! Besides the money side I think it is always also a great way of feeling appreciated by your employer!
It worked out perfectly. If I didn't have the AP I would have never thought to add on the extra days. This way all I really have to pay for is the airfare and the food. My folks told me they'd cover the room. I think my dad is excited that he'll have someone to go on the rides with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
Great Animal Kingdom pictures, especially the tree! I took many photos of it as well. We rode EE for the first time this year and it scared the bejeezus out of me. I think it was the backwards part! I can't believe you had your hands in the air and not hanging out for dear life. LOL!!
I think AK is the most photogenic park. I took more there than anywhere else.

When I was a kid I was the biggest ride wuss out there. I didn't even want to ride the carousel horses that went up and down. I got dragged on a few "big" rides by my brother and a guy I liked when I was about 12 or so and became a convert. Now I'll pretty much try anything. The only ride I can't stomach are those spider/octopus rides at carnivals.

I'm actually better if I'm going backwards and can't see where I'm going.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #102
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Tigers and Cool Weather

After Dinoland we headed back to Everest to use our FastPasses before heading over to Asia to see some tigers.

I just love the signs around AK!

The weather at the Animal Kingdom on our second day, was much like our arrival day. Cool and damp, just a little less so on both counts than our first day. Normally when I visit the Animal Kingdom the only tiger I see on the Asian trail is this one -

With the cooler temps, the tigers were out and actually active. One of them was playing around the fountain while we were watching. We spent a lot of time just hanging back and watching the tigers. It was fairly crowded around the windows, but people were actually being courteous and giving everyone a turn up close to the glass.

I love the Asian trail because of the detailing and scenery.

I love the prayer flags they have hanging around. I wanted to buy some and bring them home with me, but forgot. It's probably a good thing, as I live in a second floor condo and have no where to put them.

Tigers weren't the only ones out and about enjoying cooler temps. These two looked like they were going to get a bit "friendly" for awhile.

Unfortunately not everyone loved the cool day. The aviary seemed practically empty. All the birds were off hiding trying to keep warm I guess. All the pretty birdhouses were empty.

The only birds brave enough to hang around in that weather were the ducks. At least they were much prettier ducks than I see at home on the town duckpond.

At the end of the trail we realized the Flights of Wonder show was about to start, so we decieded to go and see the show checking out some of the few Christmas decorations around Animal Kingdom.

For anyone who hasn't seen the Flights of Wonder show I highly recommend it. It was wonderful. Very informative, and really entertaining. At the end of the show they bring out a beautiful bald eagle. I think I'll call him Sam.

We even found some hidden Mickeys in the stone stage.

By the time the show was over, we were both getting pretty hungry so we headed out to lunch. On the way we ran across Divine. My BFF had never seen her before and really enjoyed it. Sorry about the bad shots here. By the time I thought to take out my camera she had completely wrapped herself around a tree.

It's just amazing. If you hadn't seen her climb into the growth along the paths you would never know she was there would you?

I don't plan my counter service lunches in the parks. I always play it by ear, and whatever looks good that day I'll go with. My only exception to this is my AK day. Counter service at AK is always at the Flame Tree BBQ. I love the seating area, nestled along side the river on the windy paths. I've never been able to snag a seat near the river, but I usually end up along side the fountain amid the ducks.

The reason for my Flame Tree love isn't the BBQ. It's the fruit plate that garners my undying love and devotion.

So good. They give you plenty, and they also give you a cup of honey yogurt for dipping. It's my favorite CS meal on a hot day at the AK. It was pretty good on a cool day too. I don’t know why there aren't any other CS locations that offer something similar. I find it a perfect light lunch.

For some reason though I had a craving for onion rings, so my friend and I split an order. They were so good! Yum!

I don't usually do dessert at lunch when I'm not on the meal plan, but one of the options here was Key Lime mousse. I heart key lime anything so I had to endulge a bit. (I felt justified. I did have a fruit plate didn't I?)

Old 01-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #103
MEK
DIS Veteran

for the extra bonus trip. that is so awesome. I am going to come back and read your update when I can see the pics. I am staying late at work and am getting tired of looking at words with no visuals!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #104
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I am a sucker for all that signage around Animal Kingdom as well! I have more shots of signs in all the different areas than any other type of photo!

The tigers were extremely active and you were able to get some great shots of them! Well done!

Your lunch at Flame Tree looks great especially those onion rings and key lime mousse! Mmmmm!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #105
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

First, congrats on the mini trip!

Second, the update.

That tiger looks so sweet, and so up close! I think they're beautiful creatures.

I would love that fruit plate right now. It looks so yummy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: