Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #137
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

So happy that you caught the parade! And you scored a great place too! I think there's some eats in your near future...

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #138
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Thanks for the update, I will be at AK on Thursday this week!!
Hope your having a great time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
Hi Chrissy!
I'm here and just caught up, went MIA from DIS for a bit, but trying to get my groove back! What a great trip so far! LOve all the pics and I'm SO excited you get to go back soooo soon!! WOOHOO! I tried to get to your newest PTR but couldn't post, are you still postong to that?? Hope you're well!!
I need to get an update up on my PTR. Right now I've been focusing on my bonus trip, and getting all the plans set for my parents. They are pretty much go with the flow kind of people, but they keep coming up with crazy things for me to take care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Your pictures really make me want to see the Animal Kingdom parade! Good job snagging a great spot to enjoy it from!

I would have high-tailed it out of the gorilla viewing room, too. I would have had scenes from Congo dancing through my head!

Looking forward to reading about your afternoon snack!
The spot was perfect for the parade, and it was nice not to be crowded in while watching it.

The CM near the gorillas tried to convince us it was okay , but I wasn't going for it. You don't put up keep quiet signs for no reason as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
Great parade pictures the shows and the parades are one of the things that makes Disney special.
I was like a little kid when I got the hug from Baloo. So much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
Wow!! The parade looks like sooo much fun!! Can't wait to see it in May. And YIKES on the gorilla!!! That's scary!!
I enjoy it so much more than the other afternoon parades. The song gets stuck in my head for hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
So happy that you caught the parade! And you scored a great place too! I think there's some eats in your near future...
I think most people watched it as it was begining, so the area was far less congested when it was on the way back. When we claimed our spot about 10 minutes before the parade came through there were tons of open spots.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #139
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Dinner at Boma

After a long day walking around the Animal Kingdom, we were both looking forward to sitting down for a nice relaxing dinner. (I'm convinced that I walk more in the AK than any other park. I always feel like I'm walking back and forth just to catch everything.) On my Animal Kingdom days at Disney, I always head over to Boma for dinner. Boma has become one of my few dining "musts". Everything else I'm pretty flexible about, but I just love the food at Boma, and my trip is not complete without a stop there.

We got there on time, but had a bit of a wait before our table was ready. I love the lobby at the AKL and never mind a chance to wander around and explore a bit. It looked even more beautiful decorated for the holidays. Sorry about the quality of the tree picture. The lobby's a bit dark, and I couldn’t get a good shot.

Love the ornaments on the tree!

Finally our pager buzzed, and we were seated in a nice seat by the windows. Our waitress came around and I just had to order one of these -

A glowtini. I'd been wanting to try one for ages, primarily for the glow cube. I'm such a kid at heart. I'd probably order just about anything to get a blinky, glowing cube. Luckily it was pretty good tasting too.

On to the good stuff -

Plate #1 - Soup and Salads

Clockwise from the bowl of soup -
- Chicken pepper pot soup with a small piece of pita bread on the side
- Ghana Tomato Salad
- Cous Cous Salad - I believe that it was the Tunisian Cous Cous

Soup is my favorite part of the meal at Boma, and this one was to die for. It was slightly sweet, but nicely tangy at the same time. Yum! I had some she-crab soup later as well, but never got a picture of it. Both were just heavenly. I could go here and eat nothing, but soup, salad and dessert. I really liked the tomato salad as well. Cous cous was good, but I would have liked it better served hot. This cous cous was served cold. It was good, but it's just one of those things I prefer hot. (Like soup - I can't get into cold soups at all).

Plate #2 - Main Course

Clockwise from Very Top -
- Unknown Side at the top (with corn) - I didn't make notes and I can't remember what this was called. It was good though.
- Durban Chicken
- Banana Wrapped Salmon
- (more) Ghana Tomato Salad
- Pap & Chakalaka
- Saffron Rice
- Cornmeal
- Bobotie

This was my first time trying salmon, and this was just delicous. Not fishy at all. The chicken was good too, and I really liked the bobotie. The only item I really didn't care for was the Pap & Chakalaka, mostly because of the Pap. (The white part in the pictures). The taste was okay, but I couldn't get past the texture. I have issues with hot mushy food. I can't stomach things like oatmeal lat all. It wasn't horrible, but wasn't soemthing I'd eat again.

Plate #3 - Desserts

Clockwise from 1 o'clock -

- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Cinnamon Mousse
- Zebra Domes
- Apple Crumble
- Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce

I heart desserts. I swear I'd be skinny if it wasn't for desserts, but alas I have a huge sweet tooth and Boma has such good ones. It makes me happy that it's a buffet so I can try a bit of all different ones.

The pumpkin cheesecake and the cinnamon mousse were okay. Nothing really special about either of them. I had a small taste of both, but didn't finish either of them. I had to save up for the rest of the stuff that I liked much more.

The zebra domes are my favorites. Yum! I just had to have 2. The apple crisp was really tasty too. It was nice and warm, and the crisp was crisp. My second favorite dessert though would be the bread pudding. The bread pudding at Ohana is still better, but this was really good too. The vanilla sauce added just the right touch to it.

I'm getting hungry just looking at these pictures. Thank goodness only a month until I'm there again.

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #140
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

I feel the same way about AK. Always that I am walking back and forth, and I can still get lost in that park. Every other park, I don't even need a map, AK, stick one in my hand because I have no clue.

I love your dessert plate.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #141
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

I feel the same way about Animal Kingdom. It doesn't seem to flow as well as the other parks. I still need a map and I still get confused.

The soups from Boma always looks so good! I really need to get over there.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #142
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
I feel the same way about AK. Always that I am walking back and forth, and I can still get lost in that park. Every other park, I don't even need a map, AK, stick one in my hand because I have no clue.

I love your dessert plate.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't seem to find her way around that place. I'll be convinced I'm heading in the right direction only to be on the opposite side of the park.

Yumm, Zebra domes!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I feel the same way about Animal Kingdom. It doesn't seem to flow as well as the other parks. I still need a map and I still get confused.

The soups from Boma always looks so good! I really need to get over there.
It has so many twisty paths. I've given up keeping them straight.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #143
Lovemy3babes
Is always in need to get herself and her children back to our "Happy Place"!

I always hear such great things about Boma but I'm kind of a picky eater. Is there some non-adventurous stuff on the buffet for wimps like me? LOL!

Just me and my girl…a very special 13th Birthday trip!
(updated 2/20/14)
Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #144
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Crissy, Crissy, Crissy. Don't you know it's not nice to flash pics of Boma at me when we aren't eating there this summer? You're making me want to change my ADRs. This will be the first summer trip in four years that we haven't eaten there.

The Chicken Pepper Pot soup is my absolute favorite there! I have no doubt that if I was stranded on a warm deserted island with only Chicken Pepper Pot soup and Zebra Domes, I would have no problem happily surviving.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #145
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

I'll happily guide you all around AK without a map if someone can please help me with the Studios - that's my map park.

Wings I laughed when you wrote that you had to have 2 zebra domes! Please girl! I would have had a plate full!!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #146
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Boma is one of our upcoming Extravaganza Dining places that I'm super psyched about!! I just can't wait. I hear nothing but great things about the soups there, and am dying to finally catch me a zebra dome.

Part of me is so excited because I'll also get a chance to see what the AKL is all about. Woohoo!

I'm with Heidi! DHS confounds me!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #147
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

I'm with you on the dessert thing!! I LOVE sweets and those desserts look wonderful!! I'm also curious if a picky eater like me would enjoy Boma?!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #148
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

MMMM.....desserts!! I'm with you, I'd be skinny too if it weren't for them!

Btw, OT,how's the running going?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #149
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
I always hear such great things about Boma but I'm kind of a picky eater. Is there some non-adventurous stuff on the buffet for wimps like me? LOL!
I don't really consider myself to be an adventurous eater at all. As much as in theory I'd love to try places like V&A, I just know that my list of things I won't eat would make it difficult.

I think Boma is a good balance. It's really basic food items spiced differently than I'm used too. I also like that it's buffet style which makes me much more receptive to trying new things.

There are plenty of more "normal" things as well. The durban chicken was really a basic chicken, and there were other meats at the carving station. Much more normal salads and sides too. I think there would be plenty for someone less adventurous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Crissy, Crissy, Crissy. Don't you know it's not nice to flash pics of Boma at me when we aren't eating there this summer? You're making me want to change my ADRs. This will be the first summer trip in four years that we haven't eaten there.

The Chicken Pepper Pot soup is my absolute favorite there! I have no doubt that if I was stranded on a warm deserted island with only Chicken Pepper Pot soup and Zebra Domes, I would have no problem happily surviving.
Sorry CP! I don't know what I was thinking. Just try and focus on the new places you'll be trying this trip.

The soup and zebra domes combo sounds like a great meal. Yummm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
I'll happily guide you all around AK without a map if someone can please help me with the Studios - that's my map park.

Wings I laughed when you wrote that you had to have 2 zebra domes! Please girl! I would have had a plate full!!!!
That sounds like a deal. I'm pretty good at the studios.

I would have felt a bit less guilty about the 2 zebra domes if I wasn't munching away on the other goodies as well. At least next time I know to focus on the domes and the bread pudding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Boma is one of our upcoming Extravaganza Dining places that I'm super psyched about!! I just can't wait. I hear nothing but great things about the soups there, and am dying to finally catch me a zebra dome.

Part of me is so excited because I'll also get a chance to see what the AKL is all about. Woohoo!

I'm with Heidi! DHS confounds me!
It is definitely a must for us now. My BFF already told me we need to go there again in Oct. No complaints from me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
I'm with you on the dessert thing!! I LOVE sweets and those desserts look wonderful!! I'm also curious if a picky eater like me would enjoy Boma?!
My mother is very picky. While Boma isn't her favorite, she was able to find plenty of things to eat.

The desserts alone at Boma make it worth the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
MMMM.....desserts!! I'm with you, I'd be skinny too if it weren't for them!

Btw, OT,how's the running going?
I just am baffled by people who don't like dessert. How does that happen?

As for the running...not very well right now. I've been battling my upteenth cold since Thanksgiving, and it's really held me back on running. When I get sick it tends to settle in my chest and give me bronchitis and make my asthma act up. Not really conducive to breathing and running. I was supposed to start my training plan last week, but I wasn't able to even get to my aerobic classes last week.

I'm hoping to get back on plan tomorrow if my lungs cooperate for awhile.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #150
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Day 2 - Wrapping it Up

After dinner we wandered out to the savannah and watched the giraffes feeding a bit. This was about the time that I started realizing that I was going to miss out on doing some of the things on this trip that I had been wanting to do. I wanted to head down to the pool area to check out the animals with the night vision glasses. I've been wanting to do this since I stayed at the AKL back in 2003, but never had the chance. My friend though had no interest. She said that we could see the animals from the viewing areas, and there was really nothing going on out there.

I didn't want to really push the issue if she didn't want to do it. It wasn't something terribly important, and an early night wouldn't kill us, so I agreed to head back to the resort.

Easier said than done.

On my prior trips to Boma for dinner I'd been staying at POFQ, and found it fairly easy to get back to the resort. We'd take the bus back to DTD, wander around and shop for a bit and then take the boat back to POFQ.

It wasn't quite that easy staying at AsSp. My friend wasn't in the mood for DTD, so we just hopped on the first bus that showed up so we could transfer to an AsSp buss. The DHS bus showed up pretty quickly and in no time we were at DHS waiting for our next bus. Once again we were a bit disgusted with the bus service to the AsSp. The line was already backed up through the maze and down the sidewalk. We waited nearly an hour to get on a bus. Meanwhile we watched buses pick up for AsMu, and AsMo and several buses for just about every other resort (with the exception of SSR - their bus service seemed as bad as AsSp). It was horrible. The family in front of us was letting their kid crawl and lie all over the pavement in front of us, while they were juggling a sleeping second child. I'm not a germaphobe my any means, but it was even giving me the willies.

AsSp was hopping when we got back. It wasn't quite as cold as the night before. The pool was filled with pop warner kids, and their chaperones seemed to be getting a lot of mileage out of the bar as all the tables were filled. Lots of people out and about on the grounds, and lots of kids playing in the courtyard areas. I was afraid it was going to make for a loud night, but luckily our room was in a quiet spot. I was really glad we didn't have a room facing the courtyard areas with with over-sized props.

I ran over to the food court to get a soda, and had to snap a few picks of the Christmas decoations in the lobby. I really liked the star wreaths.

We were both happy to get some rest. We had an 8 am ADR for the next morning so it was early to bed for some shut eye before a long day 3.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: