Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Our Own Fab Five..December 2009

Well, hello all!! I am finally getting to start my TR!!! I think most of you will have read my PTR, but for those of you who are new, let me introduce our family to you!

We are: DH~ Wonderful Husband and Daddy!! Super duper family guy! Never went to Disney until we went together...he has really come to love our Disney vacations...he appreciates the great attention to detail that Disney does so well! This was his 10th trip.

Me!~ Wife/Mommy, homeschool mamma! Lover of all things Disney....Went to Disney 3 times as a kid with my family....this was my 13th trip.

DS14~ The Eldest! Super kid!!!!He turned 14 the day before we left...we didn't tell him when the trip was till Thanksgiving week......he just couldn't handle the suspense.....loves all the technical gizmos, is great in Math and is a wonderful big brother. Trip #10.

DS10~ My baby boy!! He is my Lego lover! He can eat, breathe and sleep Legos this kid...so of course he loooongs for Lego land on our Disney trips. He is very smart also...he is interested in so many things, and retains so much info, that we had nicknamed him The Professor years ago.Trip #10.

DD6~ My baby girl!!! She is a girly-girl...but she can keep up with those boys all day! She is a sweet girl...very considerate of everybody...looks to ds10 as her playmate and asks him tons of questions...looks up to ds14 as THE big brother....actually her and ds10 seem like twins...they do so much together! She loves ballet, butterflies, and all things girly! Trip #7...8 if you count the trip we took in Nov of '02 when I was pregnant with her!

Annie is our weenie dog mix...I will try to find a cute pic of her....

So...that's all the players in this drama! I picked the title because so much Disney is promoted by, and known, when you see the Fab 5. Since we are 5, and I think we are Fabulous(ha!!) it seemed appropo!!!We went in Jan of 09 and for our next trip I had already planned to go back the same week in 2010-it would be around Jan 24..give or take a day or two....was ready to get those rooms secured and dh threw a kink in my plans....he decided we should go when it was decorated for Christmas. Now...he is the most Christmas lovin' guy I know....it's always been his favorite season. And how ironic that we got together during the Holiday season!! Makes it even better!!!! This past December, by the way, was our 16th Christmas together...AAAWWWWWW!!! I really prefer to do Christmas, get it all packed away and then look foward to Disney in Jan.....but, not so this year! I also don't like being there on the 4th...which is ds14s birthday..we have been there on his bday before, but with the other two being born in April and May, we can't be there ON their bday....she is Easter and he is Mother's Day!! So, it is not a great time to go. Anyhoo....we had thought about leaving on Sat.after T-Day, but again,....dh says, no, we can just go on the 5th. I then found out it was Pop Warner week I had taken us once before when it was PW and it wasn't too bad.....well...this time was different!
Before, I didn't notice the girls in the parks too much, this time they were in every park at diff times of the day, and the worst thing was.....the football boys! I hope not to offend anyone reading this if your kid was part of that, but just let me say what our experiences were. More than once we saw groups of boys & girls with NO chaperone or adults...and these were large groups of kids, not 2 or 3 at a time. We heard filthy language...kids & adults included...also, the boys were seen to be cutting in line, being asked to go to the back,shoving, and being very rude in general. Girls were screaming/chanting/pushing in line....this had to be the time that I would have said,it was a problem. I will do everything possible to avoid this time of the year in the future...and I do plan to talk to someone at Disney about it. Not that I don't think kids should be rewarded or anything like that,but when it gets to the point you have to ask adults to watch their language because its in front of your children..that is just ridiculous. Especially at a place that we see as a family place...where we can escape all that if only for a little while. SO...off my soapbox now!!! It was a great trip, but just noted that I wouldn't put us in that position again!
Transportation: We Fly!!!! I do NOT want to drive!! We always try to use our flyer miles and once again, we all five got our tickets this way, then took full advantage of the Magical Express!! Don't ya'll just love it!!!!! What a relief! My husband spends hours a day driving and we don't want to have to do more than necessary when going to Disney, so this is just a blessing for us!!!
Now...We live in South East Texas and we never have drastic winters...well, lo and behold we got one last year and this one has been even better! It snowed on Friday before we left, and Sat it was ccccooooooollllllddddd when we left....the bridges had ice warnings and we even had to wait and de-ice our plane!!! First for us that's for sure!!!!
Well....you know all the rigamorole for boarding/security/baggage, and all that jazz. We actually got to our gate as they were boarding..never had that happen before either...it was a little earlier than they usually start the boarding, but we made it...a little close for me, but dh rolls that way. The weather really held us up and we did leave earlier than planned....so, we were on our way!!!
When we got to the ME I was not prepared for what I saw......I can venture to say that the line was at LEAST 10 times longer than ever before and that's being generous!!! They are changing up the way they are loading buses, so we had about a 30 minute wait....then we loaded up on that wonderful bus and took off the the Contemporary!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Okay, lets see if this works,,,this what I had on my first post and it didn't show up!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Okay...we are now at the CR!!!!! Unloaded our carry-ons, and backpacks, and ready to check-in! We were on the 8th floor and we loved it! Great view! You just can't go wrong with a Theme Park View!!!!! It was quite lovely! It was a little cool and damp..it had rained a lot before our arrival....but it was warmer than the rare 27 degrees we had left in Houston! So,...I have to admit that at this point I was getting a headache...travel days do that to me because I stress about getting there, making sure we have everything..I just really get tense....dh on the other hand dh never bats an eye! I am a super planner and just want it all to go according to plan! He never worries about stuff like this.....geez....I just can't do that!! Can we say OCD....or Control Freak? Maybe/maybe not....maybe it's just the mamma in me!!!! Either way, we were starving! We went down to eat at the food court there at the CR. We had our first experience with the touch screen ordering...it was kinda confusing at first...then the girl at the register seemed a little confused! We had her another time during the week and she was much better-----I think it was just kinda crazy in there that night. The floors and table were mostly dirty,the food was ok....I didn't have much of an appetite with my head hurting, but the kids ate pretty well.
I had a Cheese flatbread, dh and ds14 had burgers, ds10 had nuggets, and dd had cheese pizza. We jumped on a monorail and took a ride around the circuit, came back and got in our room not too long before our luggage arrived. We got the clothes out and the bathroom all set up and got ready for bed. We were tired and we were getting up Sunday for our first Rope Drop!!!!
Our room..facing the balcony

Our two wonderful beds!

The couch/pull out sofa that the kids took turns on...ds14 called it for most of the week!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
ramsfootball92
Mouseketeer

Great report so far! I can't wait to read more

me (40) , DH - (43) , DS - (22) ,DS - (21) , DD - (20) , DS - (15) , DD - (15) , DGD , DDogs - Praline and Ginger

04/81 - off-site, 4/06 - OKW, 4/07 - OKW, 04/08 - SSR, 2/09 thru 3/09 - OKW and BWV, 6/09 All-Star Sports, THV and OKW, 06/10 - AKV, 11/10 - CBR and OKW, 03/11 - OKW, 04/11 - THV, 10/11 - SSR, WL, Poly and BLT, 3/12 - YC and AKV, 5/12 - OKW and BLT, 10/12 - offsite (boo!), 3/14 - AKV, 5/14 - BWV, 10/14 (last minute) - CSR, WL, AKV and GFV
Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Dang, I'm not first!!
Great start Shawna! I'm subbing! Like you knew I would!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

Hi Shawna!!! I just found your TR and I'm excited to read it as we're planning a December trip for this year!! Your family is just precious!! I can't wait to hear more!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
trixiequilts
DIS Veteran

Hey Shawna! I'm so excited about your TR! And I just happen to love your backpack, too. I have the Libby in Hope Garden. How did you like having a backpack? Did you feel like you were constantly taking it off to get at things? That's my fear about wearing a backpack instead of a crossbody bag.

More, please!

My Trips: January 2009, October 2010, August 2011, February 2012, December 2012, November 2013, May 2014.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Hey Shawna! I'm here!

Going back to read now. . .
Old 01-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsfootball92 View Post
Great report so far! I can't wait to read more
Hey!! You're first!!!!! How fun!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Dang, I'm not first!!
Great start Shawna! I'm subbing! Like you knew I would!
Thanks Sheree!! At least it's a close 2nd..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
Hi Shawna!!! I just found your TR and I'm excited to read it as we're planning a December trip for this year!! Your family is just precious!! I can't wait to hear more!
Hi!!! OH good...we can tell you all the fun things to look for!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixiequilts View Post
Hey Shawna! I'm so excited about your TR! And I just happen to love your backpack, too. I have the Libby in Hope Garden. How did you like having a backpack? Did you feel like you were constantly taking it off to get at things? That's my fear about wearing a backpack instead of a crossbody bag.

More, please!

I loooove the Hope Garden! I did a VB crossbody thing in Jan and I didn't like it. It felt weird on my neck and I just have to many people wanting me to carry their stuff! The Backpack was awesome...you know how lightweight her stuff is anyway...it worked beautifully! I use it at our local mall too, when I take the kids clothes shopping...I think you would like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Hey Shawna! I'm here!

Going back to read now. . .

Hey Mama Snowbird!!!!!! Glad you are here!!!!!!
Okay...ya'll! I am started ,but it may be slow this week----dh took my laptop in last night and they are ordering me a new charger...should be in this week, but who knows...I have to save what battery I have left for my kids school. Frustrating...but there it is!!! Glad you are all here and I will keep it going as I can until this glitch is taken care of
!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Great start!

I sure hope you were able to enjoy your vacation despite the Pop Warner kids.

I hear you on the first day headache. Always happens to me. A combination of stress, nerves, and not eating right I think.

Love your room pics!

Hope you get your computer issues straightened out soon. Can't wait for more!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

YAY!!!!! You started finally!

Love the TR so far Shawna! Great job! Hope all the computer stuff gets fixed really soon

I'll be waiting for more! This is a definite subber!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Jumping onboard!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

I'm here

Can't wait to read more

Old 01-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #14
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

Hoping to make first page! Great TR so far! You have a beautiful family! Love the pic in front of the castle!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Don't worry Shawna, we'll wait!!!
I want a new battery for my laptop but for now I just keep plugging it in wherever I want to use it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: