Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Question What’s Next at Walt Disney World

http://thedisneyblog.com/2009/12/18/..._campaign=Feed

By John Frost

The next big attraction at Walt Disney World may have no walls and no track. In fact it will probably spread out to cover all seven parks and all of the resorts. It’s the “Next Generation Experience” which has been rumored to be an RFID based project. Disney just officially announced that former EPCOT Veep Jim MacPhee is officially working on the project and reporting direct to resort president Meg Crofton.

Like Michael at Progress City, I think this is a good move on Disney’s part. There was some worry that MacPhee was being isolated when he was moved from his role at EPCOT. But now we see that he’ll really be able to extend his demand for quality entertainment and story telling across the whole Walt Disney World resort. That’s good news indeed.

What are the "seven parks"?

Last edited by WDWKOOK; 12-20-2009 at 07:06 PM.
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Four main parks, two water parks, and WWoS (or less likely, DTD - I wouldn't call either a "park" though...)

Could the RNRC standby queue test have been the "next generation experience"?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
WebmasterCricket
Administrator
I'm what Willis was talkin' about

DISboards Administrator

Pal Mickey --->> Kim Possible --->> what's next???
WebmasterCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterCricket View Post
Pal Possible?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Four main parks, two water parks, and WWoS (or less likely, DTD - I wouldn't call either a "park" though...)

Could the RNRC standby queue test have been the "next generation experience"?
DisneyQuest is a park (IMO)

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

They will implant chips in guests (for a fee of course) that will automatically direct you to a ride when your fastpass time becomes available. The chips will also be programmed to keep you happy as you empty out your wallets to the castmembers working in restaurants and retail oulets. Lastly, they'll be able to track you to make sure you're not leaving Disney property!!

Thats all just a guess on my part.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
JoShan1719
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
They will implant chips in guests (for a fee of course) that will automatically direct you to a ride when your fastpass time becomes available. The chips will also be programmed to keep you happy as you empty out your wallets to the castmembers working in restaurants and retail oulets. Lastly, they'll be able to track you to make sure you're not leaving Disney property!!

JoShan1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
WDWKOOK

Question

Quote:

Oh, the possibilities...

Might there be a pin code or public discount for these chips?

Will monorail mgt. be in charge of them or mousekeeping?

What should I tip the CI (chip insertion) CM?

Like the (obviously lifetime) refillable resort mugs, can I re-use my chip on my next visit?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

I've read a LITTLE bit about some of the RFID possibilities. If you've ever gone on the ET ride at Universal, there's a parallel there. Before you board ET they ask for your first name. Riders names are entered into a computer and during the attraction ET speaks the names of folks riding past at that moment.

My understanding is that an RFID chip could be embedded in theme park tickets or room keys and be integrated in attractions throughout WDW. Audioanimatronic characters could "speak" your name while riding through a dark ride. In various ways, attractions could be programmed to customize the experience based upon guests favorite Disney character, favorite color or parks/attractions visited earlier in the trip. The CMs operating attractions like Turtle Talk and Monster's Inc Laugh Floor could have access to guest names, hometowns and other info about their audiences. It would be part of the new virtual queuing system being tested at parks where guests claim a spot in line and can then wander around a designated area waiting for their group to be called rather than walking between bars for 20 or 30 minutes.

Really the sky is the limit. It all depends on what extent Disney wants to integrate the technology.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Quote:

They will actually let you leave the property...............when your $$$$ is gone. {there will be a chip implanted in your wallet and on your credit card}
Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
SelfEmployedDebtFree
If I hadn't just been sitting in it; I'd swear you had lost your mind! (Tim Burton's Corpse Bride)

Quote:
They will actually let you leave the property...............when your $$$$ is gone. {there will be a chip implanted in your wallet and on your credit card}
Are you kidding... LET you leave? When your money is gone they will send you spam emails to your cellphone about the newest promotion at Disney Visa!

Favorite Walt Disney World drink: "Beverly" in Club Cool!

Cameras used: Olympus Stylus 410, Konica Minolta Dimage Z2, RED Pentax K-x DSLR
SelfEmployedDebtFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
Chautauqua
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
I've read a LITTLE bit about some of the RFID possibilities. If you've ever gone on the ET ride at Universal, there's a parallel there. Before you board ET they ask for your first name. Riders names are entered into a computer and during the attraction ET speaks the names of folks riding past at that moment.

My understanding is that an RFID chip could be embedded in theme park tickets or room keys and be integrated in attractions throughout WDW. Audioanimatronic characters could "speak" your name while riding through a dark ride. In various ways, attractions could be programmed to customize the experience based upon guests favorite Disney character, favorite color or parks/attractions visited earlier in the trip. The CMs operating attractions like Turtle Talk and Monster's Inc Laugh Floor could have access to guest names, hometowns and other info about their audiences. It would be part of the new virtual queuing system being tested at parks where guests claim a spot in line and can then wander around a designated area waiting for their group to be called rather than walking between bars for 20 or 30 minutes.

Really the sky is the limit. It all depends on what extent Disney wants to integrate the technology.
There are really 2 benefits for Disney to implement the use of RFIDs. One benefit is what the guest gets from it (enhanced features on rides, queue systems, dining, etc as mentioned in the quoted post above).
The other benefit to Disney would be mostly unseen by the guest. They would be able to micromanage things down to the smallest detail. Currently, they know when you enter a park, but not when you leave. They roughly know how many guests ride each ride, but not who, etc. With RFIDs, they'd have a wealth of information and statistics. Yes, they'd know exactly what you are doing in the park, and what everyone else is doing. That could then be used later for marketing purposes. Advertisements on your room TV would be customized as would future emails. Maybe they noticed which restaurants you walked into, and would show an ad on your TV for a restaurant that they think you'd like. Or maybe they know that you rode the Pirates of the Caribbean many times and send you an email later with an offer on POTC merchandise. The data may show that during your stay at the Wilderness Lodge, you stopped by the Polynesian several times. Then when you get future emails about visiting WDW again, it would suggest staying at the Polynesian. They'd know everything about your movements - how many times you ride a ride, when, which ones you don't ride, which restaurants and shops you walked into, how long you stayed in a park, which form of transportation you passed through, etc. Yes, Big Brother would be watching, more so than now.
They would also have a ton of statistics and could use it to more efficiently operate the parks. Perhaps they notice that guests from on-property resorts eat at certain restaurants or ride certain rides/attractions more than off-site guests. They could use that to decide which things to have open during EMH. They would have real-time data on rides: more or less cast members could be positioned at a ride based on real-time usage. The wait time listed on the standby line would be an exact number of minutes listed, as they'd know exactly how long it's taking every guest to make it through the line. (They do have a system in place already, but RFID would be continuous and more precise). Perhaps the RFID data shows that people in a particular Main Street gift shop tend to spend more time in front of a certain merchandise display. They can use that data to decide where to place that merchandise in the store to maximize sales. These are but a few examples, some more likely to occur than others.

The possibilities are endless, both for the guest experience, and for Disney in terms of marketing and park management.
Chautauqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #13
troynkasey
DIS Veteran

this is great for guests staying on property, but what do they do for those guests who are AP holders or staying off property? They don't have their hotel reservation and can't pull that information forward. Would you have to fill out the information prior to entering the park? do it while you're in the park? would it not be available?

I see the benefits and see how it could impact my experience. We're not AP holders and have never stayed off property, but I'm looking at it from a management approach and what questions would come up...
troynkasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfEmployedDebtFree View Post
Are you kidding... LET you leave? When your money is gone they will send you spam emails to your cellphone about the newest promotion at Disney Visa!
Oh YEA!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:04 AM   #15
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterCricket View Post
Kim Possible is pretty cool though... I love how the elements are obtrusive in the lands. I loved playing it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: