Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

T & T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip - Day 7

Friday 27th November Black Friday Sales!!!!

Theresa had set the alarm for 5.30 and it was a bit of a struggle to get up to be honest.
We had decided against going to the Wal-Mart sale; it started at 5.00 and we had been warned that it was a bit of a rugby scrum. Theresa is not a morning person, so for the good of international relations we gave it a miss. That and the fact that the laptop I was interested in had the keyboard configuration I mentioned yesterday.

Last year a Wal-Mart employee was killed in the stampede!

We opted to start at Jo-Anns. We arrived at 6.00 and Theresa spent about an hour in there, she got lots of crafting bits and pieces. She only spent $82 with a saving of $70 so I think we got off lightly there.
I used to refer to her purchases as scrapbooking stuff but she has branched out and has now starting quilting. She has already made a wall hanging at a local shop and if she can find a good class locally she would like to make a throw for our bed.

We popped into .............................................. Wal-Mart. Couldn’t resist. I had a look to see if they still had any of the Tom Toms left but at $58 they had sold out fast! They did still have lots of the Cricut expressions though (it’s a die-cutting machine). This is the one up from the version Theresa had purchased on our last trip. It can take a full 12 x 12 sheet unlike Theresa’s which is 6 x 12. It was an absolute bargain price of $188 but we decided against buying one. We didn’t think we would have the luggage space and Theresa reckons she can do just about everything she wants with the one she has already. Whoever said women are not logical?

We popped into Dunkin’ for coffee and donuts to keep us going. The donuts were spot on but my coffee was rubbish. I actually threw it away. That’s the first time I’ve ever had a bad coffee from Dunkin’.

Next stop, Sheplars. I bought a leather jacket, belt, boots and a couple of Christmas presents most at sales prices and then 20% off the whole lot with the usual voucher. We also popped into Bass Pro and I was very restrained. I only got a couple of packs of flies. The ones I buy here are so tiny, I wouldn’t even dream of trying to tie my own.

NEXT! The Scrappy Boutique at The Terrace, which is next to the Florida Mall. Theresa hadn’t intended to buy much here but they had loads of little bits and bobs at 10cents and the Star Wars stuff her sister had asked her to get so she managed to have a happy half hour or so browsing through it all.

We drove over to the Mall and we were lucky enough to get a parking space near JC Penny’s . We picked up a few more Christmas presents here and then made our way to Yankee Candle, one of Theresa’s favourite stores. She was very disappointed as they didn’t have any of the scents she was looking for and they were really pushing their Christmas scents and Christmas themed items which she wasn’t after so we left without buying anything.

We decided on an earlyish lunch at 12.00, but the food hall was packed. We got the usual Bourbon and Honey chicken and Teriyaki chicken with rice and a medium drink to share. This came to just under $15. I think two years ago it had been a combo of two plus a side and a drink for $5 so it’s gone up quite a lot in that time.

We braced ourselves for Abercrombie and Fitch! The place was heaving and the music deafening. Theresa had two sheets of A4 paper with the do’s and don’ts of which tops she was to get for Maddie. While we were in there I saw another woman with a very similar looking piece of paper so we were not the only ones shopping under instruction. Finding the right items was hard work as none of them were on hangers and you had to unfold one to see what it was like. When you have lots of people unfolding garments to check them and the staff trying to refold them it becomes a free for all. We did find several tops and hoodies on her list so it was worth the pain. When we paid for them the tag was missing off of one of them so we had to get another. This one had to be the same in both design and size. We were given a $25 voucher as we’d spent just over the $100 to get the voucher. We were not planning on coming back so Theresa used the voucher to buy herself a hoody. She really liked the one with which we had had the problem with the tag, so she looked through but there weren’t any more in her size. We asked the guy on the till, as he still had the one without a tag next to his register. It was so loud we had a job to hear, but in the end another assistant took one of a different size up and said he could ring it through as a different size and it wouldn’t matter. We were so pleased to be getting out of there! It wasn’t over though, as the alarm went off as we went through the door! We could have walked off, no one came over to us. We saw an assistant standing near the door so we went over to him. We showed our receipt and he said to go back to the till and they’d take the tag off for us. So we went back into the noise once more. We went straight back to the same till and the guy took the tags off and apologised.
We didn’t realise until we got back home to England and unpacked the cases that the guy on the till had also put the smaller sized hoody in the same bag as the one we’d brought for Theresa. We checked the receipt and we had only paid for two of the three hoodies. Result, but not one that sits easily with us.

We saw a Champs store and, as someone had told us while we were in World of Disney the other day that they had the same stuff but cheaper we thought it’d be stupid not to have a look around. The guy was right, the same top we’d been looking at was on a BOGOF offer.

We left The Mall at 3.00 and popped into Piktails which is one of Theresa’s scrapbooking stores that is close to the Mall. She didn’t buy anything but the lady that runs it was saying to a group of her friends about her experience at Wal-Mart that morning. The conversation went on a bit but Theresa did pick up that Wal-Mart had a price matching promise for the weekend. Take in any shops sales flyer and they would match the price. Theresa really wanted to get the Storybook Cricut cartridge but the only place she had seen it was Wal-Mart but they wanted $60 for it and she wasn’t prepared to pay that.

We headed to Mouse Memories next which is East on the 192 but they’d closed for the day so we headed back to the condo for a rest.

Not a bad days work.

Coffee and an hour in the Jacuzzi worked wonders. We got dressed for dinner and headed to our favourite place, The Longhorn. I had the Ribeye steak and Theresa opted for the Filet with Fontina Cheese & wild mushroom sauce. This was delicious and we were both way to full for dessert.

After dinner we went back to the condo and had an early night. It’d been a long, tiring day and Morpheus was calling.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

Last edited by tony64; 01-07-2010 at 02:13 PM.
tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Wow what a day. So pleased you managed to buy stuff that you were after. My menfolk love A&F, I just leave them there as I don't like the dark and the noise there. You both must have been shattered by the end if that day.
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Wow ! great bargains tony....not sure i could be bothered though

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Wow! Hope you had enough room in your suitcase!
Old 12-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Wow 5.30am on holiday! Theresa must really have been keen.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Wow 5.30am on holiday! Theresa must really have been keen.
Hi Claire
I think sales shopping and going on Holiday are the only things that will get her out of bed that early.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

Old 12-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

I love A&F . Sounds as though you guys had a busy day
Old 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Wow, that was a successful shopping day Tone

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

I am in awe of anyone that can 'do' the sales - they scare me to bits

well done you! Badge to that guy !

there's a fab film that might appeal to Theresa - it's called 'how to make an american quilt' it has quite a few stars and is a genuine 'feel good' film - i loved it. Made me want to make a quilt myself
Old 01-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
arieljasmine
Who says these things pass you by.....

Wow, Tony, I am exhausted just reading that. Think I need a lie down and a big drink now.....

Laur's xx
May 2001 DLRP Santa Fe/September 2002 WDW All Star Music/December 2003 DLRP Sequoia Lodge/September 2004 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Pop Century/May 2005 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder/April 2006 WDW Pop Century/ September 2006 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Animal Kingdom Lodge/September 2007 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Hard Rock Hotel/Polynesian/Pop Century
arieljasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:07 AM   #11
Dimplenose
Stranger from the outside
I do tend to go over the top in Disneyness

I can't believe we were so close to so many craft shops on our holiday last year and didn't find any (apart from a Michael's which wasn't any better than Hobbycraft!!!!). Oh, well I suppose we saved money that way.

It's interesting that Theresa is branching out from scrapbooking as I've just rediscovered knitting and my paper crafts have been abandoned for the moment.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #12
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimplenose View Post
I can't believe we were so close to so many craft shops on our holiday last year and didn't find any (apart from a Michael's which wasn't any better than Hobbycraft!!!!). Oh, well I suppose we saved money that way.

It's interesting that Theresa is branching out from scrapbooking as I've just rediscovered knitting and my paper crafts have been abandoned for the moment.
Let us know when you're going next Libby and Theresa will send you a list of addresses and directions to all the main shops.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
Dimplenose
Stranger from the outside
I do tend to go over the top in Disneyness

Thanks, Tony. We're not planning to go back for a few years, but I'm sure you'll still be around for advice when we do go.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #14
jamjar84
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a stressful, but productive day, I do love Black Friday sales though.

An hour in the jacuzzi sounds great for getting rid of shopping stress, shame I don't have a jacuzzi at home. :L
jamjar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
Boss Hogg
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Tinky Winky isn't it?!
"How do you fancy it?"

Top shopping antics there Tonester, should've got some stink bait in Bass though - or at least got some for me. For some reason I'm banned from buying such items!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: