Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
ddsmommy
Earning My Ears

Dining Plan question for 2/3 y.o.

We leave in two days for WDW. My son will turn three while we are there. We will be on the dining plan and this was purchased for each family for every day of our stay. However, am I required to use my son's vouchers while he is still two, when we have our ADR's for a family of four?

We have the one snack/one QS/one ST plan and since he will be two the first few days, I was planning to have him eat from the adults plates (as is allowed for two and under).

However, all of our ADR's have him listed as 3, as it didn't allow me to book it half/half. I tried to call and explain that for the first few reservations, I would like him listed as his actual age in order that we may use a couple of the meal vouchers in place of snacks for my husband who has Type I diabetes. I am bringing my 2 y.o.'s birth certificate, but will they have a problem with this at the ADR restaurants early in the week when the reservations list him as age 3?

The reservationist I spoke with on the phone was very confused and was like, "you paid for them, why not use them"? Yes, I would like to use them later in the week for meals for my husband who is a Type I diabetic instead of snacks! Anyway, she didn't list his actual age as requested on our first few reservations and I just don't want a hassle while I am there about his real age.

So for you veterans - is it going to be a problem/hassle for me? Thanks for bearing with this long question
ddsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

He's listed as 3 on your reservation and he has the dining plan? Because you can't get the DDP for a 2 year old.

You purchased a ticket for him? You don't need a ticket for him since he's 2 when he starts the trip.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!

Last edited by 3Minnies1Mickey; 02-25-2011 at 01:13 AM.
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Faldred
DIS Veteran

Okay... a few things to note...

1) You can always order fewer meals than you have guests at the table, except for "admission" restaurants (buffets, dinner shows, CRT, etc.)

2) You can mix-and-match DDP and OOP (out of pocket) at the same meal. Even if you order a meal for each person, you don't have to use a DDP credit for each meal.

3) The credits belong to the room, not the individual, so saving credits to use later will work. Note that child credits must be used for kid's meals only (except at the limited counter service locations that don't have a kid's menu).

4) However, you can only order a number of meals at a time equal to the number of people listed on your cards, and furthermore, they are broken down by adult/child, so you'd only be able to use DDP to order 2 adult and 2 child meals at any given time.

5) Here's the biggie -- since your child will be 2 at the time of check-in, he can be treated as 2 for the length of the stay. That means you do not need to buy him park tickets or the DDP, even though he turns 3 mid-trip. I can't imagine, with the price of park tickets, that paying OOP would cost more than tickets + DDP, especially since an under-3 child is free at all "admission" meals. Your resort cards would show 2 adults, 1 child, and 1 infant, so there would be no problems even if he's listed as 3 on a reservation (or he announces to the world that he's 3).

March 2009: Port Orleans Riverside ( Trip Report -- Dining Report ) -- May 2006: Vacation Village timeshare -- May 2002: Orange Lake timeshare
Faldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Following up on Faldred's good answer, if it were me, I would call and explain that your child will be 2 when you check-in, but that he is listed as 3 on your reservation, and remove the tickets and DDP for him.

Even given your plan to use some of his credits to get snacks for your husband, you really will come out cheaper if you just remove the DDP and tix for your child.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV

Last edited by vicki_c; 02-25-2011 at 07:02 AM.
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
ddsmommy
Earning My Ears

THANK YOU everyone! I booked the vacation online myself and listed him as three because he would be on our return. There wasn't an option to list him as two upon arrival and three upon departure. I had no idea that he would be free for the tickets the entire duration.

I called today and had no problems getting reimbursed over $300! My husband will be thrilled when he gets home from work to that news!

Again, many thanks!
ddsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
3Minnies1Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsmommy View Post
THANK YOU everyone! I booked the vacation online myself and listed him as three because he would be on our return. There wasn't an option to list him as two upon arrival and three upon departure. I had no idea that he would be free for the tickets the entire duration.

I called today and had no problems getting reimbursed over $300! My husband will be thrilled when he gets home from work to that news!

Again, many thanks!
No problem!

Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
An_Island_Girl
DIS Veteran

Umm... Now that you listed him as 2, I hope you realize that you will have to pay OOP for all his meals (and will not have any "extra meals" for your husband). There is no meal plan credits for children 0-2 in age.
An_Island_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
3Minnies1Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by An_Island_Girl View Post
Umm... Now that you listed him as 2, I hope you realize that you will have to pay OOP for all his meals (and will not have any "extra meals" for your husband). There is no meal plan credits for children 0-2 in age.
OP stated that the 2yr old would be sharing off plates anyways.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by An_Island_Girl View Post
i'm sure the $300 saved will cover those extra snacks and meals!

however, OP, what you could have done is kept him as 3yo and save his ticket for a future trip... however, we have found that when we don't have even number of leftover tickets, it eventually gets confusing and annoying! LOL!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: