Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #451
edk35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
I see your point. I could technically get probably a year's worth of tickets with all the active duty military personnel I know myself.
Well, maybe just 3 1/2 months worth since they expire soon.
Of course you would have to get all those active duty peeps to fly to WDW and activate them.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #452
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard View Post
I agree with you, Tink! Standing behind all the soldiers, active duty and retired, all the way.

You're right, the tickets did start out the way you said, but Disney couldn't enforce it--they were showing up on Ebay, and people were buying them for friends and family to use later on without them. I think Disney just kind of caved in on it--too much to enforce.

Since everyone and their brother did it last year, we used two each this year. If you have another trip coming up before the promo ends, by all means do it. you're not hurting Disney, and you're not doing anything wrong, since Disney is allowing it. Disney mostly just wants your money, one way or another lol.

Have fun at Food and Wine!
Thank you. I agree with you about Disney just kind of caving, which is why I predict they won't offer another promotion anytime soon. Thanks for the fun wishes...I can't wait!! My DH can't take all the time off, so me & DS are going for 4 days, then DS is flying home and DH is flying in, and we are going to spend 4 days by ourselves for F&W. Poor me, I have to go to MNSSHP twice

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #453
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
Of course you would have to get all those active duty peeps to fly to WDW and activate them.
Somehow it doesn't sound like such a bargain any more!!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #454
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
I have a concern about the above line from post #413 from Cheshire Figment, dated May 20, 2010. He uses the term "Unremarried Widow." My Retired Army husband passed away Sept. 22, 2009. A week later, I got a new DD 1173 (ID Card). On the front of the ID Card stating "Relationship," I am NOT identified as URW (Unremarried Widow). I am labeled DB (Deceased Beneficiary). This is the regular (beige) dependent ID card, nothing out of the ordinary.

I called the issuing office about this, and I was told that it was changed from URW to DB because of complaints from widows, who didn't like that label.
This is the first I had heard of this. I am sure that Disney is not up to the latest changes. However, I would expect that if a person were to come to my window to activate or purchase Armed Forces Salute tickets and I saw a code I did not recognize in the "Relationship" field I would ask, and you would have no problem.

Before retirement, my late wife and I were both Federal employees, and we would state to people: "Before dealing extensively with The Walt Disney Company we thought we worked for the largest bureaucracy in the world."

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #455
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Before retirement, my late wife and I were both Federal employees, and we would state to people: "Before dealing extensively with The Walt Disney Company we thought we worked for the largest bureaucracy in the world."

Old 06-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #456
Order66
DIS Veteran

There is no loophole or backdoor. Disney IS allowing each service member or their spouse to purchase up to 6 tickets and there is not a restriction on the number of tickets one person may use. And the fact that you have to BE a service member or a spouse (who I will say we do our own kind of sacrificing each and every day as well) to even purchase the tickets.....I'm pretty sure nobody is being blown off just to save a few dollars.

I simply posted my experience because there was confusion on the part of the spouse being able to purchase and activate 6 tickets. It was fairly clear that 1 person could use multiple tickets. I just confirmed that this was in fact true in my experience. Last year there was 1 ticket reserved for the service member because it was free. The spouse could purchase up to the 5 companion tickets. Because this year there is no free ticket it was worded in such a way that the spouse could purchase up to 6....but some reports said it was still only 5 for the spouse. This was not my experience and I posted it for any other spouses that may be traveling without their service member.

Last year Disneyland in CA also had a similar offer and my husband, myself, my 2 sons and my mother took advantage of that. We had a reason to visit CA last spring and extended it into a 6 day trip to visit Disneyland for 3 days. Later in the fall I took my sons and my mother to WDW on a bounceback I had booked the previous year and purchased the military passes for the 4 of us as well. It was also not "cheating the system" to have 2 trips with this discount. Disney said we could take advantage of the offer at both parks as they were 2 separate offers. I was also told both this year and last that there is no restriction on the number of times you may book the resort discount with the military discount code. You can come 20 times is what I was told. Only the tickets were limited to 6.

Now, since Disney made it clear that 1 person could use multiple tickets I did. Had they clearly stated the opposite, I would have purchased 3 tickets, used our GAD tickets for a 5th day and considered a few days offsite to one of the other (gasp) competing Orlando theme parks. We did do one day at Sea World, since it was also free for military families and for that I was restricted to 3 one day passes. And well........that's all we did. One day, just me and my 2 children. I took nothing more than what I was allowed. But since I was allowed to have all 6 tickets for the 3 of us, Disney got my money for 10 days at the resort, 10 days of the dining plan and a couple hundred dollars worth of things we really didn't need to buy. I also know that this discount was offered to fill rooms and increase spending.....not create warmy fuzzy American feelings. Good PR for them, but I'm very appreciative of the discount anyway. If you feel it's wrong to take advantage of the offer more than once, even though it's not against any Disney rules, by all means...do not. But don't be so judgmental to those of us who are staying within the boundaries Disney has set forth.

I personally think Disney will not offer it again for a very long time, only because they have done it now two years in a row. The economy is supposedly improving and they have stated that discounts will be scaled back. The first time we went to WDW as a couple was right after Desert Storm when my husband was also offered a free ticket (and a discount for mine) for his service in the Middle East. That was a very long time between using military discounts for Disney. If we return next year I won't be expecting anything. But I will take advantage of any discount I am entitled to take to maximize my trip for my dollars, military or not.

regards
Old 06-18-2010, 10:27 PM   #457
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You will be fine! We took advantage of the 40% room discount last year at the Beach Club during Food & Wine Fest. They didn't even ask for our military ID cards. Bth either way, I doubt if the resort would be familiar enough with military ID cards to know the difference anyway.
You are probably right. Just anxious to begin my Disney trip in Sept., and I am starting to worry about trivialities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment
This is the first I had heard of this. I am sure that Disney is not up to the latest changes. However, I would expect that if a person were to come to my window to activate or purchase Armed Forces Salute tickets and I saw a code I did not recognize in the "Relationship" field I would ask, and you would have no problem.

Thanks so much for the time you spend answering these questions. If I had read the DIS forums last Fall, I would have learned that I could get the 40% room discount myself. Disney erroneously told me I was not entitled as sponsor widow. This cost me money. I also did not know to buy more than one Armed Forces Salute ticket per person. I am now informed.

The ID Card identifies my late husband under Sponsor Service/Status as USA/RETDEC. That provides a big clue, in case of questions by an overeager novice. I am a firm believer in your quote. The biggest thing I have learned in my time reading the DIS forums is, "If confronted with a rule which you interpret one way and a Disney employee interprets another way, ask to speak to another Disney employee for a completely new interpretation. Then proceed to Supervisor level for satisfaction."
Old 06-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #458
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You are probably right. Just anxious to begin my Disney trip in Sept., and I am starting to worry about trivialities!

Thanks so much for the time you spend answering these questions. If I had read the DIS forums last Fall, I would have learned that I could get the 40% room discount myself. Disney erroneously told me I was not entitled as sponsor widow. This cost me money. I also did not know to buy more than one Armed Forces Salute ticket per person. I am now informed.

The ID Card identifies my late husband under Sponsor Service/Status as USA/RETDEC. That provides a big clue, in case of questions by an overeager novice. I am a firm believer in your quote. The biggest thing I have learned in my time reading the DIS forums is, "If confronted with a rule which you interpret one way and a Disney employee interprets another way, ask to speak to another Disney employee for a completely new interpretation. Then proceed to Supervisor level for satisfaction."
Hope you have a nice vacation....we never would have tried the Beach Club, had it not been the 40% discount. Do you mind if I ask which resort you chose? Even when they don't offer the discounts, the SoG is a truely lovely place to stay.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #459
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hope you have a nice vacation....we never would have tried the Beach Club, had it not been the 40% discount. Do you mind if I ask which resort you chose? Even when they don't offer the discounts, the SoG is a truely lovely place to stay.
We always go to POR, either Riverside or French Quarter. FQ this time. We like the tranquil grounds, 2 different food courts, many pools and, the best feature, the boat to Downtown Disney. This resort really has it all!

I have stayed at Shades of Green. The rooms are Huge and the resort is top notch! But at my husband's rank, it is better to use the 40% off Disney rooms discount. And I like being in the Disney transportation loop.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #460
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We always go to POR, either Riverside or French Quarter. FQ this time. We like the tranquil grounds, 2 different food courts, many pools and, the best feature, the boat to Downtown Disney. This resort really has it all!

I have stayed at Shades of Green. The rooms are Huge and the resort is top notch! But at my husband's rank, it is better to use the 40% off Disney rooms discount. And I like being in the Disney transportation loop.
Sounds lovely!! I'll have to check it out!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #461
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sounds lovely!! I'll have to check it out!
We've been at POFQ before too for trhe same reason. Beautiful there. They have Purple Haze at the pool bar. I love it!
Old 06-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #462
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsammy5 View Post
We've been at POFQ before too for trhe same reason. Beautiful there. They have Purple Haze at the pool bar. I love it!
I will promise to try the Purple Haze this time around.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #463
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

I picked up my Military Salute tickets today!

But, I think my base undercharged me! I didn't do the math while there (the total price did sound about right).

The tickets are supposed to be $99 base +$25/option

I got four tickets with both water fun hopping. It was $147 each, for $588 total, and it seems it should have been $149 each, for $596 total

I'm not one to complain about saving $8, as long as I won't have problems!

Also, I read earlier on the thread that the vouchers you get at the base don't say what type of ticket they are. What I got says, "4-Day Disney's Armed Forces Salute w/ Park Hopper and FUN" I assume "FUN" means Water Park and More option? So, did they change it, are these my actual tickets? (it does say I need to activate them prior to use) Or, will I get paper character tickets in exchange?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:17 AM   #464
marie1203
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Last year, the same people were allowed to buy them, but only for the people in their party...names had to be associated with them (no more than one ticket per person) and the parties IDs had to be shown with the ticket when they were activated.....and the sponsor had to be there too (whether it be the wife, the servicemember, whoever was allowed to purchase) They wouldn't sell two tickets under one person's name. Let's say GI Joe purchased five tickets...one for Mama, one for little sis, one for little brother, one for Baby Joe, and one for wife. Mama, little sis, little brother, wife, and Baby Joe had to show their ids and activate their tickets with GI Joe. We were going to buy a friend one last year, but my husband had to be with her to activate it, and it just wasn't possible.

I apologize if I misinterpreted...what I meant by extra tickets was more than one ticket per person. I guess we could have gotten two 5-day tickets each for our honeymoon, and then two more five-day passes for when we went to Food & Wine later in the year. Just wouldn't seem right.

:
Your post doesn't have the right information. We were there 3 times last year and between DH and I we use all our 6 tickets. Yes we have to show our Id's to activate the tickets but you were allowed to use more than one ticket per person. You still need valid Id's to activate the tickets. I just don't see how it wouldn't seem right?

Last edited by marie1203; 06-23-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:38 AM   #465
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

The "Fun" visits means you have the WPF&M option on the tickets. You have to go, with your ID, to any Park ticket window or Guest Relations Office to activate them. Since it will just be activation, you will have the same cards as your tickets once activated.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: