Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #436
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmickus View Post
May I purchase Magic Your Way one day tickets to MK for July 3rd and then upgrade those tickets to Military Salute (paying the difference $20) to use the remaining 3 days later that week? I assume if this is possible that I would not be able to take care of this at Guest Services in MK on the 4th (or would I). How would I upgrade to visit Epcot on the 5th?
As a general rule a MYW ticket cannot be upgraded to a pass that is blocked out on the blocked out day if the pass was used for Park entry that day. This normally applies to the Florida Resident Seasonal or Weekday Select passes but would also apply to the Military Salute tickets.

However, if you have used a MYW ticket for Park entry on a blocked out date, you can still do the upgrade. However, the upgrade may only be done prior to entering the Park.

So If you enter MK on the 3rd, you cannot do the upgrade on the 3rd. But you could do the upgrade later in the week at any Park (even on the 4th, as long as the upgrade is not done at MK).

I hope this makes some sense.

And, yes, it would be $21.30 including tax.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Old 06-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #437
Boring7909
Earning My Ears

Hey there! Quick question - I registered just to ask it! Husband is deployed. I want to take myself and DD on a trip next week. I also want to take myself, DD and DH on a trip in September - can I buy and activate 5 tickets??

I know that there are posts in this thread that say 'yes' - but I just called Shades of Green and was told absolutely not, only one per person, per name, period. Can I trust what I was told by Shades of Green? I'd hate to buy two extra tickets I can't activate (if I can't buy extras, DD and I will not go on our mommy-daughter trip).

Thanks in advance!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #438
pmickus
Mouseketeer

Can you purchase Military Salute tix with Disney Rewards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
As a general rule a MYW ticket cannot be upgraded to a pass that is blocked out on the blocked out day if the pass was used for Park entry that day. This normally applies to the Florida Resident Seasonal or Weekday Select passes but would also apply to the Military Salute tickets.

However, if you have used a MYW ticket for Park entry on a blocked out date, you can still do the upgrade. However, the upgrade may only be done prior to entering the Park.

So If you enter MK on the 3rd, you cannot do the upgrade on the 3rd. But you could do the upgrade later in the week at any Park (even on the 4th, as long as the upgrade is not done at MK).

I hope this makes some sense.

And, yes, it would be $21.30 including tax.
Can I purchase Military Salute tickets at the Epcot ticket window and pay for them using my Disney Rewards card (not the Visa but the actual rewards card)?

Thanks Cheshire, I think I was trying to make it more difficult. I will purchase the Military Salute ticket and use it on the 3rd for Epcot and the 5th for MK. Staying poolside for the crazy 4th. I forgot that I had GAD tickets that could be used for FP to make the summer crowds and heat more tolerable.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #439
yhellothere
Earning My Ears

X

Last edited by yhellothere; 06-19-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #440
yhellothere
Earning My Ears

Y

Last edited by yhellothere; 06-19-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #441
Order66
DIS Veteran

Just back from a long and somewhat hot trip last night. Here was my experience with the tickets, hopefully it will answer some questions others have.

I'm a spouse of an active reservist. Active drilling....not activated. I have the red ID card of a reservist dependent. I went with just my 2 sons, my husband didn't join us. He's not a disney every year kinda guy.....but I forgive him.

My 2 sons (both 10) and I did a volunteer activity and had GAD vouchers. I exchanged those at the will call at MK for 3 military salute tickets with hopping and pluses paying only the difference + tax. I then purchased the other 3 with hopping only to use for the 3 of us again. No problems.

So yep, I was able to purchase all 6 tickets as a spouse and use 2 per person to give us 8 days total, plus 4 WPFM entries. I also had a 1 day unused ticket left over and used that towards the purchase of my second ticket, bringing my grand total for tickets to just about $545. Great deal.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #442
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

This isn't a response to any particular post, but in general. I'm afraid after this year, it's going to be a long, long, long time before Disney offers the Military any other specials like this. It seems like nobody is happy with just one ticket each for four days that shows the appreciation to the military member and their family and guests....seems so many want to find a loop hole or backdoor to find ways to get double what it was intended for. I have a feeling they are letting all these people get these extra tickets just to get rid of them, so they don't have to hassel with it any more. I feel for the people working at SoG that have to deal with people's scheming everyday.

It never occured to me last year, when I spent 10 days at WDW for my honeymoon, to try to get another set of tickets....I was so greatful for the generous offer of five days.

I was hoping the offer would be extended again to the end of the year, so we could use them when we go during F & W...but at this rate, they'll probably be sold out by then. I wonder if anyone who got these extra tickets thought to thank the Service Member for their years of service and sacrifice, or even spared them a second thought when they saved 100s of dollars?

Please take time to thank your sponsoring service member today.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #443
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
This isn't a response to any particular post, but in general. I'm afraid after this year, it's going to be a long, long, long time before Disney offers the Military any other specials like this. It seems like nobody is happy with just one ticket each for four days that shows the appreciation to the military member and their family and guests....seems so many want to find a loop hole or backdoor to find ways to get double what it was intended for. I have a feeling they are letting all these people get these extra tickets just to get rid of them, so they don't have to hassel with it any more. I feel for the people working at SoG that have to deal with people's scheming everyday.

It never occured to me last year, when I spent 10 days at WDW for my honeymoon, to try to get another set of tickets....I was so greatful for the generous offer of five days.

I was hoping the offer would be extended again to the end of the year, so we could use them when we go during F & W...but at this rate, they'll probably be sold out by then. I wonder if anyone who got these extra tickets thought to thank the Service Member for their years of service and sacrifice, or even spared them a second thought when they saved 100s of dollars?

Were you around last year? There was way more crazy stuff about all this then than there is now! I think you're somewhat misinterpreting some posts though; most people aren't trying to get extra tickets; there's really no way to get more than the allotted number per service member. They're also not going to "run out"--there's not a set number to sell, so if you go before Sept 30, you can certainly use them.

Many people here--not all, but many--are closely related to the service member and most definitely spare them a "second thought" every single day. Many people here are spouses who deal with separation and all the hassles that come with military life all the time. Most people are looking for a way to maximize this benefit, not cheat the system.

My only problem with the tickets was one actually created by service members, who bought more than they needed for a family trip and then sold them on ebay to make money. However, considering what many servicemen and women are paid, I can't blame them too much for making a few extra bucks this way, even though I consider it to be wrong.

Seriously, most people go to Disney for more than 4 days, and as some people have pointed out, it's cheaper to buy a 7 or 8 day pass than the military ticket and another 4 day pass. If you can use 2 tickets each, Disney gets your food and trinket money for more days. Which, of course, is why they're doing this, not to warm the hearts of the military. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney, but I"m not naive about their motives lol.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #444
edk35
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I don't think people are posting on here about cheating the system for these Salute tickets either. They will not run out either..these are not like the GAD passes.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
Old 06-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #445
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard View Post
Were you around last year? There was way more crazy stuff about all this then than there is now! I think you're somewhat misinterpreting some posts though; most people aren't trying to get extra tickets; there's really no way to get more than the allotted number per service member. They're also not going to "run out"--there's not a set number to sell, so if you go before Sept 30, you can certainly use them.

Many people here--not all, but many--are closely related to the service member and most definitely spare them a "second thought" every single day. Many people here are spouses who deal with separation and all the hassles that come with military life all the time. Most people are looking for a way to maximize this benefit, not cheat the system.

My only problem with the tickets was one actually created by service members, who bought more than they needed for a family trip and then sold them on ebay to make money. However, considering what many servicemen and women are paid, I can't blame them too much for making a few extra bucks this way, even though I consider it to be wrong.

Seriously, most people go to Disney for more than 4 days, and as some people have pointed out, it's cheaper to buy a 7 or 8 day pass than the military ticket and another 4 day pass. If you can use 2 tickets each, Disney gets your food and trinket money for more days. Which, of course, is why they're doing this, not to warm the hearts of the military. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney, but I"m not naive about their motives lol.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I was around last year....in fact, this is where I first learned of the tickets (before my ITT even did) Last year, the same people were allowed to buy them, but only for the people in their party...names had to be associated with them (no more than one ticket per person) and the parties IDs had to be shown with the ticket when they were activated.....and the sponsor had to be there too (whether it be the wife, the servicemember, whoever was allowed to purchase) They wouldn't sell two tickets under one person's name. Let's say GI Joe purchased five tickets...one for Mama, one for little sis, one for little brother, one for Baby Joe, and one for wife. Mama, little sis, little brother, wife, and Baby Joe had to show their ids and activate their tickets with GI Joe. We were going to buy a friend one last year, but my husband had to be with her to activate it, and it just wasn't possible.

I apologize if I misinterpreted...what I meant by extra tickets was more than one ticket per person. I guess we could have gotten two 5-day tickets each for our honeymoon, and then two more five-day passes for when we went to Food & Wine later in the year. Just wouldn't seem right.

I my retired Army soldier, and pray everyday for men I know that are in Afghanistan and Iraq....they are the ones that make this little bit of Disney magic possible. Thank you all on Disboards that serve or served in the United States Armed Forces!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #446
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
If the Service Member is not present, the only person who can activate the tickets is a person whose DD1173 either indicates "Spouse" or "Unremarried Widow" ...
I have a concern about the above line from post #413 from Cheshire Figment, dated May 20, 2010. He uses the term "Unremarried Widow." My Retired Army husband passed away Sept. 22, 2009. A week later, I got a new DD 1173 (ID Card). On the front of the ID Card stating "Relationship," I am NOT identified as URW (Unremarried Widow). I am labeled DB (Deceased Beneficiary). This is the regular (beige) dependent ID card, nothing out of the ordinary.

I called the issuing office about this, and I was told that it was changed from URW to DB because of complaints from widows, who didn't like that label.

I don't foresee any problems at SoG when I purchase my tickets. But I am concerned that Disney is up-to-date about this. I don't want to have any problems when I check-in with my ID Card for the military 40% off room I reserved.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #447
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

I agree with you, Tink! Standing behind all the soldiers, active duty and retired, all the way.

You're right, the tickets did start out the way you said, but Disney couldn't enforce it--they were showing up on Ebay, and people were buying them for friends and family to use later on without them. I think Disney just kind of caved in on it--too much to enforce.

Since everyone and their brother did it last year, we used two each this year. If you have another trip coming up before the promo ends, by all means do it. you're not hurting Disney, and you're not doing anything wrong, since Disney is allowing it. Disney mostly just wants your money, one way or another lol.

Have fun at Food and Wine!
Old 06-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #448
edk35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I was around last year....in fact, this is where I first learned of the tickets (before my ITT even did) Last year, the same people were allowed to buy them, but only for the people in their party...names had to be associated with them (no more than one ticket per person) and the parties IDs had to be shown with the ticket when they were activated.....and the sponsor had to be there too (whether it be the wife, the servicemember, whoever was allowed to purchase) They wouldn't sell two tickets under one person's name. Let's say GI Joe purchased five tickets...one for Mama, one for little sis, one for little brother, one for Baby Joe, and one for wife. Mama, little sis, little brother, wife, and Baby Joe had to show their ids and activate their tickets with GI Joe. We were going to buy a friend one last year, but my husband had to be with her to activate it, and it just wasn't possible.

I apologize if I misinterpreted...what I meant by extra tickets was more than one ticket per person. I guess we could have gotten two 5-day tickets each for our honeymoon, and then two more five-day passes for when we went to Food & Wine later in the year. Just wouldn't seem right.

I my retired Army soldier, and pray everyday for men I know that are in Afghanistan and Iraq....they are the ones that make this little bit of Disney magic possible. Thank you all on Disboards that serve or served in the United States Armed Forces!!!!!!
Hmmmm we used these 5 day tickets last year too. We purchased 4 and had the free one of course too since we are a family of 5. Now when we activated them at DTD the only I.D's they asked for was my husband's and mine. Our youngest son didn't even have an I.D. yet and while we had our older children's I.D's they didn't ask for those. I don't remember having a name associated with each ticket. Maybe so... not sure.

I don't know why you feel "it wouldn't be right"????? If every military member is allowed to purchase 6 then why would it not feel right?? If they didn't want people doing this they would say ONE ticket per person PERIOD. Meaning....if you are a family of 2, 4 or 6 that is what your family will be allowed during this promotion. It would be quite easy for them to track if they entered the names in during activation. Also, my father is retired military and so is my husband's father. So technically we could go two more times using this same promotion. We are not but we could. I would not feel guilty. It is not like we are using someone's or preventing another military member from getting tickets because we bought 6 instead of 5. I don't get what you are implying or trying to say for people who are using their allotted 6 tickets.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
Old 06-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #449
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
I have a concern about the above line from post #413 from Cheshire Figment, dated May 20, 2010. He uses the term "Unremarried Widow." My Retired Army husband passed away Sept. 22, 2009. A week later, I got a new DD 1173 (ID Card). On the front of the ID Card stating "Relationship," I am NOT identified as URW (Unremarried Widow). I am labeled DB (Deceased Beneficiary). This is the regular (beige) dependent ID card, nothing out of the ordinary.

I called the issuing office about this, and I was told that it was changed from URW to DB because of complaints from widows, who didn't like that label.

I don't foresee any problems at SoG when I purchase my tickets. But I am concerned that Disney is up-to-date about this. I don't want to have any problems when I check-in with my ID Card for the military 40% off room I reserved.
You will be fine! We took advantage of the 40% room discount last year at the Beach Club during Food & Wine Fest. They didn't even ask for our military ID cards. Bth either way, I doubt if the resort would be familiar enough with military ID cards to know the difference anyway.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #450
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35 View Post
Hmmmm we used these 5 day tickets last year too. We purchased 4 and had the free one of course too since we are a family of 5. Now when we activated them at DTD the only I.D's they asked for was my husband's and mine. Our youngest son didn't even have an I.D. yet and while we had our older children's I.D's they didn't ask for those. I don't remember having a name associated with each ticket. Maybe so... not sure.

I don't know why you feel "it wouldn't be right"????? If every military member is allowed to purchase 6 then why would it not feel right?? If they didn't want people doing this they would say ONE ticket per person PERIOD. Meaning....if you are a family of 2, 4 or 6 that is what your family will be allowed during this promotion. It would be quite easy for them to track if they entered the names in during activation. Also, my father is retired military and so is my husband's father. So technically we could go two more times using this same promotion. We are not but we could. I would not feel guilty. It is not like we are using someone's or preventing another military member from getting tickets because we bought 6 instead of 5. I don't get what you are implying or trying to say for people who are using their allotted 6 tickets.
I see your point. I could technically get probably a year's worth of tickets with all the active duty military personnel I know myself.
Well, maybe just 3 1/2 months worth since they expire soon.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: