Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
marksmith
Mouseketeer

multiple ADRs -same day same time

ok we are a community of planners. Let's admit that at time we may hold ADRs for different locations at roughly the same time on the same day. You know, just in case plans change-contingency plans.

During light attendance time, maybe not that big of a deal. During Holiday and other crowded times-not really fair to others. I admit at the 90 day mark for our upcoming 12/28-1-1 four night stay I may have had as many as 8-9 extra ADRs. Personally, I always cancel extra ADRs as my trip gets closer to create opportunity for others. In fact, I canceled my one remaining duplicate for Citricos on 12/31 this am. Hope someone has a great New Years eve.

My guestion, for those planners holding multiple(likely to be unused reservations) for Christmas week-will you fess up and comitt to your plan and ADRs; in-turn cancel your redundant bookings and free up space for others. Or remain silent-you know, every man for himself? Food for thought(no pun intended)
Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
proud_canadian
DIS Veteran

wow

Wow, just wow, that is very selfish and I never would have dreamed of doing such a thing.

Disney should put a limit on how many ADR's one can make to prevent this problem...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
marksmith
Mouseketeer

you would be surprised, I would guess that some people are holding multiple reservations at very hard to book restaurants even on New years eve-hedging their bet on crowds, weather etc. I usually cancel my initial duplicates within a week of my initial bookings at 90 days(still 80+ days out from our stay) and if I make a duplicat ADR due to a planning change I try to cancel within a day or so. Some people I am sure "forget" to cancel these overlapping reservations. As noted, I did have a long standing ADR at Citicos and made a reservation a couple weeks ago at the Brown Derby on the same night same time.

The first step is admitting you have a problem. I would bet that my 1 duplicate ADR "transgression" would pale in comparison to many of the super planners who frequent the boards. Let see what people have to say.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
lsugal
Earning My Ears

I currently have duplicate reservations at both Les Chefs and Coral Reef only until it has been finalized whether Les Chefs will be on the 2010 dining plan or not. Depending on how that turns out, one or the other will be cancelled ASAP.
1996 - All Star Sports + 10 y/o son
2009 - 25th Anniversary - Grand Floridian
2010 - YC
2011 - BC
Old 12-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Last December I booked throught a traval agency. The agent booked my dining. I asked her to cancel some so others could use them, but she said it wasn't necessary. We could keep them and still choose at the last minute where we wanted to eat. I thought that was very odd.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I think it is a very selfish and rude thing to do. Decide where you will most likely eat at, and leave the other spots open for families who want those ADRs.

It is really no suprise that there have been so many Disers commenting on how empty the restaurants are, but they cannot get in to eat.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

I just cancelled a few extra ADRs last night for our trip in late January. That's my big confession! I still have 1 extra I think - I picked up a Le Cellier reservation for one of my dates and my current Chefs lunch reservation is too close to it. They're 5 hours apart, but to me that's still a double ADR because I don't think we want to do 2 TS meals so close together. I plan on holding on to both though and keep trying to improve on the times.

I can say though that I never made so many ADRs as I did with the new online booking system. Things I didn't even care about (CRT for example) - well, it was right there and available, so how could I not book it? Same with Le Cellier -- we like it, but I don't feel that I HAVE to eat there. But again, there it was - available at a perfect time on a Saturday night? How could I not?

So I do think online booking makes it very easy to have a lot of reservations.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
princesswendy720
DIS Veteran

I also haven't been able to cancel any ADRs online recently. I book some, find better ones, but have to call in to cancel. So while I find time to call in, wait on hold, pull up my email with my confirmation numbers (I'm not always sitting at the computer with them readily available) I've had double bookings. It's only been for a few days, but if I could get the Disney website to work and be able to cancel my ADRs online when I make the replacement, it would never happen.

Upcoming Trips: WDW October 2011, May 2012 and November 2012 ; Disneyland May 2013
PJ Blog Etsy shop
Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud_canadian View Post
Wow, just wow, that is very selfish
Yep
Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
rebster
Mouseketeer

I think there are tons of examples where being double booked is ok. As long as plans are finalized in a timely manner and the 2nd booking is canceled. A quick example. I sit in class all day, so I have the opportunity to check the ressie system whenever I want (the joys of using your laptop to take notes and ahem...do other things). If something pops up that will change our whole schedule around, but its something my hubby really wanted, I will book it. But, I can't just go call him in class, so I might be double booked for an afternoon until I double check with him.

I am a little puzzled by double booking for the "weather" or crowds...I think of Disney as place that you just roll with those things...they are expected. I'm not sure why anyone would even do that...but maybe I haven't considered something.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
LindyN
DIS Veteran

Multiple ADRs for the same meal periods create no shows, which means restaurants are not full, and revenue goals have not been met.

Servers lose money because Disney does not consider those tables available when they have names on them. The guest may be late, so they just move up the next on the list. Ever wonder why you're seated early? This answers that question. It is unlikely that they'll give a walk up a table during the middle of peak dining times--those are usually done towards the end of the meal period (like 9pm), and by then most people have already found an alternative.

Lost revenue means higher prices for menu items and the dining plans.

Make your own decision, but the decent thing to do is to cancel so another party can have that table and the server has a paycheck and can pay his/her bills. Full restaurants keep the revenue stream going and hold prices stable.

A cancellation rather than a no-show really does matter in the long run.

JMO.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
kamikazecat
DIS Veteran

I don't think it is right to hold multiple reservations. We decided yesterday to go with deluxe dining next summer so I tried to space my meals out a little more. I booked the restaurant at a later time and immediately cancelled the earlier ones. I am not too worried that the restaurants aren't appearing on the 2010 list, probably because I am going in June and I will have time to re-work things.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
rebster
Mouseketeer

Ok, now I'm confused. Does "double booking" mean you are double booked and then skip out on one of the reservations? Or does it mean that at some point you are double booked before your trip and cancel well in advance of said trip when plans become clearer? Or is it both?

There just seem to be two different definitions of "double booking" running through this thread. Because I don't think anyone would ever dream of having 2 restaurants booked the week they are at disney at the same time. I really don't think people fail to cancel reservations either...it doesn't make any sense...it takes a few clicks of a button or a phone call...you can do it watching tv. However, I understand having a couple places booked here and there say, 180 days out when plans arn't all set or one does not know how many people are coming on the trip, etc.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #14
candielips
DIS Veteran

I thought I had heard mention of people having all of their ADR's cancelled when WDW caught on to their multiple reservations?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #15
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

Quote:
I thought I had heard mention of people having all of their ADR's cancelled when WDW caught on to their multiple reservations?
Ditto - when I was more actively posting back in May/June there were many people posting who had their reservations cancelled when Disney determined that they were double booking --- i.e. booking more than one restaurant in the same time period.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: