Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #226
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post

Happy Mother's Day Mum. Miss you.
That says it all right there!

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #227
Twende
Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....

I have found a wee bit of peace this Mothers Day. There is finally a headstone at my mothers cemetery plot.

I guess that sounds weird but my siblings fought me in having my mother buried. They literally kept her from me before she passed, refused to allow her to be buried even though it is what she asked for, and then refused to allow any of her money to be used to even get her a headstone.

It has made her passing so much more painful for me.

I ended up buying a headstone for her. It was placed on her father's plot and includes both of their names. It was so important to her and I feel better knowing that I did the best I could.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #228
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Hugs to you RnbwSktles, Marsheliz, Twende and ACDSNY.
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #229
I Run Long
DIS Veteran

This was my second Mother's Day without my mum. I found myself still crying at the drop of a hat - missing my mum. I'm a mum too but I still feel that it isn't really Mother's Day without my own mum. I miss you and I love you mum.

Me DH DS18 DD16

I Run Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #230
Twende

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Run Long View Post
This was my second Mother's Day without my mum. I found myself still crying at the drop of a hat - missing my mum. I'm a mum too but I still feel that it isn't really Mother's Day without my own mum. I miss you and I love you mum.
HUGS! I am sorry and I understand. We all need stock in Klenex!

Losing a mom is so very life changing.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #231
Emily11212
Joe's Bride :-)

When I was 10, I lost my Mom to breast cancer in June of 1991. I feel like there are days where I barely remember her, and I can't stand that. Two years later however, my dad remarried, my stepmother. She was a Disney fanatic like the rest of us, and as much as we joked about her being our "Wicked Stepmother" (we even got the Snow White and Evil Queen costumes to match), she was anything but. I love that I have always been able to go around saying that I had the amazing honor of having TWO wonderful mothers, not just one. My stepmother and I were very close.... I called her pretty much every day and told her everything. She was my biggest fan and supporter (I'm a performer), and my best friend.

In January of 2012, my stepmom was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome, a cancer of the blood. My fiance and I were planning a November 2012 wedding in Disney World, and the doctors told us to go ahead with it and she would be fine and walking and dancing and able to travel with us and enjoy the parks, no problem. She was actually doing very well, but in September, she got an infection, and within two weeks, she was gone. It was exactly one month before our wedding. I feel so upset and cheated. I can't believe this happened again.

I was able to be with her when she passed... I sang all of her favorite songs to her and my husband and I even found a hospital chaplain and got married at her bedside with my family there... I held her hand the entire time. I miss my Wicked Stepmother.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #232
I Run Long
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry - your post brought tears to my eyes. It is so good that you were able to there when she passed. Hugs to you.

Me DH DS18 DD16

I Run Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #233
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Oh Emily, I am so sorry. You sweet girl.
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #234
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily11212 View Post
When I was 10, I lost my Mom to breast cancer in June of 1991. I feel like there are days where I barely remember her, and I can't stand that. Two years later however, my dad remarried, my stepmother. She was a Disney fanatic like the rest of us, and as much as we joked about her being our "Wicked Stepmother" (we even got the Snow White and Evil Queen costumes to match), she was anything but. I love that I have always been able to go around saying that I had the amazing honor of having TWO wonderful mothers, not just one. My stepmother and I were very close.... I called her pretty much every day and told her everything. She was my biggest fan and supporter (I'm a performer), and my best friend.

In January of 2012, my stepmom was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome, a cancer of the blood. My fiance and I were planning a November 2012 wedding in Disney World, and the doctors told us to go ahead with it and she would be fine and walking and dancing and able to travel with us and enjoy the parks, no problem. She was actually doing very well, but in September, she got an infection, and within two weeks, she was gone. It was exactly one month before our wedding. I feel so upset and cheated. I can't believe this happened again.

I was able to be with her when she passed... I sang all of her favorite songs to her and my husband and I even found a hospital chaplain and got married at her bedside with my family there... I held her hand the entire time. I miss my Wicked Stepmother.
Oh Emily, that's so incredibly beautiful and heartbreaking. Both. Sighing. I'm so very sorry.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #235
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Love sent to all sharing and missing their mothers.

I have not lost my mother but tonight I am missing her. She's in the later levels of dementia and as much as I am successful at loving my *new* mother - there are days I simply miss my mom.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #236
Twende

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaviolet View Post
Love sent to all sharing and missing their mothers.

I have not lost my mother but tonight I am missing her. She's in the later levels of dementia and as much as I am successful at loving my *new* mother - there are days I simply miss my mom.
My mother also had dementia. Some family members said she had Altzheimers but she did not follow its progression at all. Brain studies done after her death showed it was vascular dementia. But the mom I loved was gone all the same. As time progressed I found that I even changed the name I called her. She was no longer Mom, she was Mama. Like you I loved her too but I agree that I missed my Mom.

Some days I reach for the phone to call her or think gosh I can't wait to tell her something, and then I realize it is too late now. I cry a lot. But I also smile at all the memories I have.

I know how very hard it is. I am sorry that you have already lost your mom. That is the hard part for us the family and caregivers. Dementia causes you to suffer the loss of your loved one twice! Hugs!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #237
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twende View Post
My mother also had dementia. Some family members said she had Altzheimers but she did not follow its progression at all. Brain studies done after her death showed it was vascular dementia. But the mom I loved was gone all the same. As time progressed I found that I even changed the name I called her. She was no longer Mom, she was Mama. Like you I loved her too but I agree that I missed my Mom.

Some days I reach for the phone to call her or think gosh I can't wait to tell her something, and then I realize it is too late now. I cry a lot. But I also smile at all the memories I have.

I know how very hard it is. I am sorry that you have already lost your mom. That is the hard part for us the family and caregivers. Dementia causes you to suffer the loss of your loved one twice! Hugs!
Thank you so much Kim. Thank you for sharing and understanding. Love sent to you. . I'm am very lucky to still be able to kiss and love her even though I very much miss *my mom*.

My mom is the same. I know she has vascular dementia because it's playing out so very differently from a loved one with Alzheimer's that I helped look after - but even the professionals are off at times.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #238
aml3679
Kita's Mom

It is so hard not having a Mom. I lost my mother on July 11, 2005 from complications of emphysema. She missed both of my daughter's weddings. The birth of two grandchildren. I lost my father 4 years earlier from a pulmonary embolism. They were both 64. My mom was an artist. She loved her children and grandchildren. She loved candy and at her funeral we had all of her artwork and bowls of candy.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #239
henderkm
Mouseketeer

I lost my Mom 6 weeks ago. Early May she fell down and broke her femur. After a 3 1/2 hour surgery we knew it was going to be a long road to recovery, but she had recovered before from a hip replacement and 3 leg surgeries.

Mom was a always a fighter when it came to anything medical. She lived 50 years with Addison's disease, had overcome breast cancer in her 50's, and lived through a colon resection in her 30's. We were sure she would make it this time, but 3 weeks later she died of septic shock. The decision to take her off life support was the hardest I have ever made in my life.

I know that our family has many things to be thankful for when it comes to my mom. She was lucky enough to have lived on her own until the end.

We had her for many years, but that doesn't help the emptiness I feel. On my birthday a couple of weeks ago, I played back some of the phone messages from her that I had saved. I really miss her.
henderkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #240
wannabee
Mouseketeer

Today is the 5th anniversary of my mom's death. It seems so long ago and so recent all at once.

I no longer pick up the phone to call her like I used to do in the early days but some days I still miss her so much it hurts.

I just can't believe it's been 5 years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: