Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Binkrin
Mouseketeer
No longer tagless
Thank goodness I am not a weirdo. I was starting to think so...

Would You Cancel Your Trip?/Taking Very Young Baby to WDW

DH and I recently found out that we are pregnant with out first DC! Now we are VERY excited, but we have a big family trip (DH's parents, SIL, BIL and their 3 kids) to WDW planned for September. If the baby comes on time the baby will be only 9 weeks old.

Now for you parents who have been there, done that...
What are your thoughts for first time parents taking a 9 week old to WDW?
When your DC was 9 weeks old, do you think that you would be up for the trip?
Is it just a bad idea all around and we should think about canceling it?
Anyone take a baby 9 weeks or younger to WDW? I would love some ideas and tips!

Other small problem is that this is a DVC trip and if we don't go we will lose a little over 100 points that we saved from last year to go on this trip. That isn't as important, we can get over that.

Thank you so much!!
Binkrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
PEANUT1
You can Fly!

I would go..I have not gone with a baby that young..our youngest was 9months old but if I were you I'd say go for it!! Get a baby bjorn and you will be all set..it is still late summer early fall so you won't have to worry about cold an flu season and newborns are so easy to travel with. If you are going to nurse it will be even easier because you won't have to carry bottles and worry about warming them up. Good luck and congrats!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
3BoysRDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Our youngest was 8 weeks for his first trip. It was really easy. I say go for it, plan for breaks and just bjorn the baby. they can go on any ride that isn't a thrill ride.

Sarah
Mason (6)
Wyatt (2)
Haden (the babe)
3BoysRDisneyFreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
MrsGoofyMitchell
Mouseketeer

I would definitely go! Bring a sling and the baby will probably nap a lot! Septemeber will be a nice time to go go. Not too crowded, hopefully. Take advantage of the baby centers and you will most likely be able to get some alone time with DH? I'm sure the grandparents will love it!

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!
2010 February--All Star Movies-Our DS's first trip!!
2011 March-Grand Floridian/All Star-Movies
2011 September--Off-site
2012 May -- off-site
2014 September - AOA

Whaaaat? We're going to Mickey's House???
MrsGoofyMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
crisi
DIS Veteran

Nope, kids that young are prone to RSV. My peditrician recommended no exposure to crowds for the first three months.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
kpgriswold
Mouseketeer

And if the baby is late, s/he will only be 7 or 8 weeks old! I have gone with mine when they were 9 and 14 months old, and would certainly echo all that pps said about ease of travel with a nursing infant.

HOWEVER, I think you might be wise to push your trip back a month or two, giving yourself time to recover and baby time to beef up his immune system.

June '81, Ft. Wilderness; July '88, Ft Wilderness; Aug '02, Ft Wilderness; Dec '07, ASMovies; March '09, ASMusic w/ HS Choir; Aug '10, POR; March '14, ASMusic w/ HS Band; Jan '15, ???
kpgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

No way would I go. Too many people around the baby raises the chance for God forbid a health problem. In a baby that little if he/she gets a fever it is a mandatory spinal tap. I would not take that chance at all. Not that you have to sit in the house for months on end but there are a lot of people at WDW. As for the points, well I would change the time of the trip and go while you are pregnant.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Ennazus8810
Mouseketeer

GO GO GO!!!!!

My doc won't let me go overdue, says that there are too many complications if the baby is more than 1 week past due, so hopefully yours feels the same way I have a 6 month old, and I am pregnant again and I would go for sure.

I went with my god son when he was about 9 weeks. It was SO easy. Esp since you will be with other family members to help carry, ect.

Last Trip-August 2012
Next trip-Oct 2014????

Me DH DD(4) DD (3)
Ennazus8810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

I am always amazed when I see the differing opinions on this one as I don't think it's a question that can be answered in advance. Honestly, I don't think you will have your answer until after the baby arrives. Some babies are easy to tote around at a young age; others aren't for varying reasons. Out of my 3 kids, one would have been O.K. to take at that young age. DS14 had projectile vomiting and DD6 had colic until about 4 months old. Would you have wanted to be near them while on your vacation? DS10, however, was an easy baby and would not have been a problem at WDW at all.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a safe, healthy pregnancy.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
roobug
Mouseketeer

We took our LO's at 3 months to DL - they were preemies though so they would have been less then 9 wks ajusted. I would talk to your pedi about it - my LO's were exclusivly breastfeed, and our Pedi was fine with us going. Although our pedi was never one who wanted us to avoid crowds even when they frist came home from the hospital.

If you are okay with people being around your LO then I would say go for it. It will be the easiest trip you have with them especially if you are nursing - nor worrying about bottles, and there are great places to nurse in the baby centers if you are conserned about nursing in public.
roobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
nursegirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
I am always amazed when I see the differing opinions on this one as I don't think it's a question that can be answered in advance. Honestly, I don't think you will have your answer until after the baby arrives. Some babies are easy to tote around at a young age; others aren't for varying reasons. Out of my 3 kids, one would have been O.K. to take at that young age. DS14 had projectile vomiting and DD6 had colic until about 4 months old. Would you have wanted to be near them while on your vacation? DS10, however, was an easy baby and would not have been a problem at WDW at all.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a safe, healthy pregnancy.
I agree with this post, its so difficult to tell how you will be feeling, how the baby will be as far as feeding and sleeping, etc. We took our DS when he was 7 mos. this last Sept/Oct and he did great, but nine weeks is a different ballgame - for you and your baby. Since you are DVC'ers I'm thinking you have been and will go to WDW lots more times, so it may be that if you are prepared to be super flexible and adhere to the little person's schedule as best you can, it could be fine. Depends on the baby - but you will make the right choice, regardless.

Take good care of yourself and try to relax and get as much sleep as you can - best wishes -
Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #12
MommytoaSweetie
DIS Veteran

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I think it's just too tough of a question to answer before your baby is born as there are just too many unknowns. I mean, if the baby is on time and healthy and you kept him/her in a sling a lot or away from strangers in a travel system and you're breastfeeding well by then and your baby is a pretty good sleeper already and you're feeling fine and didn't have any complications and everything is great, you'd probably be fine to go. We took DD1 to a baseball game at 8 weeks (her first BIG outing) and with DD2 we went on a vacation when she was 12 weeks (that we planned when she was 9 weeks) and that was all fine, but they were pretty good sleepers early and didn't have big complications (I had c-sections unfortunately, but my recovery was pretty easy).

However, what IF all of those things didn't go great... there's just a lot that you can't know yet. Are there any other options? Could you up the trip a few months and go when you're pregnant? Or could you push it back a month or so? If you'll for sure lose out if you change it, will vacation insurance work if you end up needing to cancel? It's definitely a tough question - I hope you can find a good answer! Either way, though, I hope you enjoy your pregnancy and your sweet baby!!

We are so blessed! Trip to WDW in the 80s courtesy of Make-A-Wish, two trips in the 90s thanks to youth group and a band trip, then a trip in 2004 with DH - what started the trend. Another short trip in 2005, a trip to DisneyLand in 2008 with our DD1, another trip to WDW in 2008 with DD1, trip in 2010 with DD1 and DD2, and just another in February 2011 with DD1 and DD2. It's been amazing!

DH, me, and our two beautiful girls (5 and 3)

Our dining report from our February 2011 trip
MommytoaSweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #13
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

We took DS at 12 weeks and we were first time parents and it was great. EASIEST TRIP EVER with him. Seriously! We had a great time and would do it again in a heartbeat.

We never worried about keeping DS away from people/crowds....we had him out and about from 5 days on. Healthiest baby ever, even now at age 3 and in FT daycare he never gets sick. Unless your baby has some health complications or something like that, I would say go but just adjust your expectations of what you will get done on the trip.

puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
FoundMyPrince
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
No way would I go. Too many people around the baby raises the chance for God forbid a health problem. In a baby that little if he/she gets a fever it is a mandatory spinal tap. I would not take that chance at all. Not that you have to sit in the house for months on end but there are a lot of people at WDW. As for the points, well I would change the time of the trip and go while you are pregnant.
Not true. Our son had a fever at 4 weeks old and while the doctors talked about doing a spinal, we said no. DS responded well to the antibiotics and there were no other symptoms. Nothing is mandatory.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundMyPrince View Post
Not true. Our son had a fever at 4 weeks old and while the doctors talked about doing a spinal, we said no. DS responded well to the antibiotics and there were no other symptoms. Nothing is mandatory.
Well that is rarely the case even though I will agree that you can turn down any treatment. I just don't get why anyone would need to take that risk. It's a trip to WDW not something that you can never see again. YMMV.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: